Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf Prices 2015 *** DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Seriously kanturk mart is on Tuesday.

Where's that? Mart here is on Monday instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Where's that? Mart here is on Monday instead

Agh seriouly google it

farmerjj wrote: »
    Agh seriouly google it

Bit far from me. Would pass about 5 marts on the way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Bit far from me. Would pass about 5 marts on the way :)
    I haven't a clue whether it is a good idea to take them or not there might be extra buyers there with no other mart on and there could also be less buyers saying feck the mart it's Patricks day.

I haven't a clue whether it is a good idea to take them or not there might be extra buyers there with no other mart on and there could also be less buyers saying feck the mart it's Patricks day.

Or maybe they'll be a load if lads in thinking they'll get cheap cattle cause it's paddy's weekend

• Advertisement

Cant see it been busy,who would wanna hall calves around that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Feckthis

Father was in the mart last week having a look. The same type of FR bull calfs we bought last year for 30-50 euro are going for 70-100 this year. They be average enough ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

What sort of money are whitehead or angus runners going?

The Mrs was thinking of buying few calves but i think something a bit stronger that can mind itself better job.

ps what ye consider runners wrt age and weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭joejobrien

Feckthis wrote: »
    Father was in the mart last week having a look. The same type of FR bull calfs we bought last year for 30-50 euro are going for 70-100 this year. They be average enough ones.
    You can the rest of mine for the 100 euro:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Feckthis

joejobrien wrote: »
    You can the rest of mine for the 100 euro:D

Ye can keep em :D. Not buying anymore of them things. Father likes rearing FR bulls I can't stand them. Although I'll probably come home someday and he will have a few in the corner of a shed. There's not one tap to be made out of them I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

any marts for weanling sale in wexford/wicklow/carlow area tomorow wedsday or thursday? have four weanlings ready to go

and just one more q what way does mart pay is it cheque on the day or into bank account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

marathon wrote: »
    and just one more q what way does mart pay is it cheque on the day or into bank account?

Depends on the mart. Most will send on the cheque within a week but there are some who can print it for you at the end of the day or the next morning. Or you could pick up a bit of sellers cash in the office if you're stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,284 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Kovu wrote: »
    Depends on the mart. Most will send on the cheque within a week but there are some who can print it for you at the end of the day or the next morning. Or you could pick up a bit of sellers cash in the office if you're stuck.
    our mart-ardee- give you a cheque on the day, very handy as you can lodge it on the way home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Do ye all take yer calves in? I haven't been to a mart in years, local haulier takes calves every Mon

I'm taking calves to the mart Tuesday, Patricks day

Well what was prices like?

http://www.donedeal.ie/view/8925415
    Yearlings for sale
    Better value than buying calves

Well what was prices like?
    €155-€270 they averaged €190. Not many sellers there.

€155-€270 they averaged €190. Not many sellers there.

What breed?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,528 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

http://www.donedeal.ie/view/8925415
    Yearlings for sale
    Better value than buying calves

Are them barriers VERY BIG or the cattle had a tough year !

• Advertisement

What breed?
    All aa mostly bulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

_Brian wrote: »
    Are them barriers VERY BIG or the cattle had a tough year !

The slats are two foot below the feed barrier.

The slats are two foot below the feed barrier.
    it isn't half obvious that he is a dealer with about 3-4 batches fed and managed differently. It's hard to say but it looks like a place I visited a few years ago to buy cattle the owner claimed that he reared them all even though some were half hungry and others fed on. What he didn't know is that I was talking to him the year before in his local mart and I knew he was a dealer.

Calf sales are strange.in enniscorthy today. Bought a few fr bulls for 80. Few wh and Angus through and everyone got wet for them. I went for dinner and a walk up to the shops and came back all those lads were gone and loading up and I picked up some aa. Wh and lmx bulls and hfrs and didn't pay more than 200 for any of them.
    Then the dealers were arguing between themselves and I picked up a smasher of a bb heifer for 250.
    Calfs are only dear if ya want them dear.
    Have some patience and be cute and they ain't so bad

must keep me eye on your posts larry sensible talk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Calf sales are strange.in enniscorthy today. Bought a few fr bulls for 80. Few wh and Angus through and everyone got wet for them. I went for dinner and a walk up to the shops and came back all those lads were gone and loading up and I picked up some aa. Wh and lmx bulls and hfrs and didn't pay more than 200 for any of them.
    Then the dealers were arguing between themselves and I picked up a smasher of a bb heifer for 250.
    And also spend loads of time in the mart!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

just do it wrote: »
    And also spend loads of time in the mart!

Can be time very well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Can be time very well spent.

Too many lads are in a rush in a mart. Thanks be to God. Patience is the name of the game. There is more money made around a ring, or buying farm to farm than by most farm efficiency. If they do not come in at the right price they cannot go out at the right price.

What did Larry with a lorry save today if he bought 10 calves and by the sound of it he bought more than that he saved 500 on ten. Not a bad days work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

The arse has fallen out if the young fr market. This is the first time that there was only 1 bidder.

We will only have a few more bull calves at this stage so my weekly visit to the mart is over for this year. A place I hate.

Will keep all male calves till Sept and sell off land for €400 in Sept. did it last yr and was happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

i must have being in a different enniscorthy mart yesterday than larry miller,a serious trade for all types bar the small very soft calf and the the jersey cross,
    the dealers bought most of the calves out of it yesterday, heifers calves were a crazy trade with any type of a heifer 350 to 450 and the same calves bought last year for 220 to 320.

Advertisement