Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf Prices 2015 *** DISCUSSION THREAD

Options
1151617181921»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Base price wrote: »
    €50 - €120 depending on quality from 2 week old up - not out of Jersey or JEx crosses.
    Dairy farmers are holding hard on calf prices probably due to current milk prices. However I reckon that prices will tumble coming into the New Year when a lot of stock will be on the ground.

We got 155, 190 for two ho bull calves in Ross on Saturday. Hard to distinguish between them. Can't beat a well done ho bull calf to sell compared to any other dairy breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

We got 155, 190 for two ho bull calves in Ross on Saturday. Hard to distinguish between them. Can't beat a well done ho bull calf to sell compared to any other dairy breed.

What ages were they?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,095 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

agree, cant see were the 50 euro price is coming from, last day in the mart the worst of the fr bulls was still making 100 euro

What ages were they?

They were close to their time but spent no time in the rushes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

They were close to their time but spent no time in the rushes.

Ah sure then. Hardly any point quoting prices for animals at 6 wks old when most are sold at 2-3 wks and rarely get the colour of that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Hol bulls making €20 to €40 at 3 weeks old.

Limxhol Bulls making €200 at 3 weeks. Heifers making €150.

Looks like there won't be much of an export market for calves next spring...

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

so anywhere from 80 - 120 generally for 2 - 3 week old fr bulls.

Ah sure then. Hardly any point quoting prices for animals at 6 wks old when most are sold at 2-3 wks and rarely get the colour of that

Unless we are short of milk from fresh calved cows in the spring or disease pressure kicks in we'll bring as many as we can to this age. Won't compromise heifer health or feed any more milk powder than we have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Over 300 for He bulls, 250 for He heifers, and 120 for a fr bull off a heifer, certainly can't complain, but I'll take every penny, that's probably the only profit them autumn calvers will leave me this whole lactation...

Dawggone wrote: »
    Hol bulls making €20 to €40 at 3 weeks old.

Limxhol Bulls making €200 at 3 weeks. Heifers making €150.

Looks like there won't be much of an export market for calves next spring...

Sending 97 mixed bull/heifer calves to Spain today. Local market has died. All limxhol. Aged from 15 days to 45days.
    Guaranteed min price for heifers is €90 and €110 for bulls.
    Will post results when I get them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Mol88

Fella on done deal quoted me 300 for calves a week old..small angus and wanter 400 for 2months old.how could a fella make a bob at these prices

Seems to be a bit of value appearing on done deal how are mart prices looking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Bandon today my own calves sold by haulier, prices given over phone but should be accurate enuv
    Plain bb bull 4 weeks 290
    Bull calves 3 weeks to 6 weeks 115 to 130
    Two half twin to bulls heifers 25 apiece

Happy with blue as wasn't very shapey, thought the older fr bulls would go a bit more as were in good knick but still 130 is ok for em and twin heifers always depends on the day but they were good calves so slightly dissappointed with them.
    Overall not too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Milked out wrote: »
    Bandon today my own calves sold by haulier, prices given over phone but should be accurate enuv
    Plain bb bull 4 weeks 290
    Bull calves 3 weeks to 6 weeks 115 to 130
    Two half twin to bulls heifers 25 apiece

Happy with blue as wasn't very shapey, thought the older fr bulls would go a bit more as were in good knick but still 130 is ok for em and twin heifers always depends on the day but they were good calves so slightly dissappointed with them.
    Overall not too bad
    From talking to others Bandon would be a big mart for FR/FRx bull calves. I was in it once about 25 years ago. You did well with the bull calves but you got a bad price for the freemartin heifers. I would have given up on €60 apiece for them.

Sending 97 mixed bull/heifer calves to Spain today. Local market has died. All limxhol. Aged from 15 days to 45days.
    Guaranteed min price for heifers is €90 and €110 for bulls.
    Will post results when I get them...

Got paid today for those calves.
    Average for bulls €130/hd.
    Average for heifers €100/hd.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

Being quoted 170 for bf type calves 4 weeks old. Good price do ye think? Not up to date on how they're trading at minute

J DEERE wrote: »
    Being quoted 170 for bf type calves 4 weeks old. Good price do ye think? Not up to date on how they're trading at minute
    yup sounds about right

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

whelan2 wrote: »
    yup sounds about right

pity they wont be that price come middle of feb

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭mf240

Will calves be back in price this spring with none being held to drink levy milk?

mf240 wrote: »
    Will calves be back in price this spring with none being held to drink levy milk?

I think that the export market will be very weak. If the price for calves is still strong then ye shouldn't be expecting everyone to blockade the factories later on...

I sent off a few calves to Spain last week and I will post prices when I get paid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

It's only a wild stab in the dark here but I doubt calves will be dear next spring. Trades have all lifted and the vast majority of the lads that bought them over the last few years won't be at the ring due to a lack of time, coupled with the extra dairy ones and the poor prices for beef I can't see them being anywhere near what they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Mol88

No harm their not wort wat fellas are askin no body giving the calf boys a bail out when prices of cattle are poor

What are Montbeliard bull calves going approx 7wks old?

Got results for the last batch of limxhol calves sent to Spain.
    Bulls €112.
    Heifers €93.50.

Who decides the price and how long for payment. Last calf i sent to a crowd in wicklow took 3 weeks for payment- total joke

whelan2 wrote: »
    Who decides the price and how long for payment. Last calf i sent to a crowd in wicklow took 3 weeks for payment- total joke

I'm lucky to be able to find a home for them Whelan. The calf market has completely tanked.
    Price. I have to take what I'm given, plus I don't get paid for 3 or 4 weeks.

Spring calf market could be difficult for you...

Advertisement