Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental dispute with Landlord I live with

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Powerfairy wrote: »
    Yeah I don't like anybody contacting me via work as its on the work server forever more, She has that email address from back in 2013 when I inquired about the room via daft. (rookie mistake) never again,

Don't respond from your work email, if you want to send an email you can just send her an email from your personal hotmail to say the money has been transferred.
    Do not engage with her through your work email

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 667 ✭✭✭S.R.

OP don't pay 30 euro and don't reply to her.

I wish I was her tenant, it would be interesting to see how much she would get off me. :D

You are too soft and b1tches like her use tenants' softness to fill their pockets.

DON'T PAY, DON'T REPLY!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

OP, what's the benefit in engaging in any correspondence with her now?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Powerfairy

S.R. wrote: »
    OP don't pay 30 euro and don't reply to her.

I wish I was her tenant, it would be interesting to see how much she would get off me. :D

You are too soft and b1tches like her use tenants' softness to fill their pockets.

DON'T PAY, DON'T REPLY!!!

Thank you

:)

I am waiting until 5.30 to do the transfer, so its past the working day,
    I have her mails marked as junk in Hotmail, & in work,

I feel if I send her any mail it will engage in an abusive cycle so going to follow The_Morrigan and her advice, by not replying whatsoever,

I forgot to mention that Threshold got back to me Via email & were actually helpful, however they did warn that the LL Can go to the small claims court if she feels I left her out a pocket,

So the cleaning charge, and one more email to say what I am paying her could avoid her doing that. But that is neither here nor there.

Stick to original plan. No more mind changing. 400 rent. max.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Do you know the person moving in?

Ask them whether they thought it was clean enough, if not give THEM €30 to get a cleaner in. If they're happy the LL has no issue.

What a wagon.

On the Small Claims Court - it's not an actual court it's a procedure that starts off in an office with a cup of tea, don't sweat it they can see through bull**** a mile away.

• Advertisement

Ask them whether they thought it was clean enough, if not give THEM €30 to get a cleaner in. If they're happy the LL has no issue.

What a wagon.

On the Small Claims Court - it's not an actual court it's a procedure that starts off in an office with a cup of tea, don't sweat it they can see through bull**** a mile away.

Thanks Mark Anthony that is my major fear re the small claims court.

This girl / woman whatever she is, would be the type to follow me to the ends of the earth and back to prove a point. Hopefully the facts speak for themselves, I can leave when I want and she cannot keep deposits. The room was left in a good state I have a few photos to prove that,

On terms of a new tenant, we had girls viewing the place, on Wednesday. I gave the house tour to a lovely Spanish girl 25, and very easy going, perfect lodger, she advised she could move in ASAP To the LL & Myself.

but the LL Has advised she wants to keep looking for the right fit.

She has a lovely girl prepared to move In tomorrow & also the other lodger likes the Spanish girl so total perfect fit yet she is sitting tight as the LL promised if she got a tenant in she would not charge me the remainder of the Feb rent (she isn't getting it) only up to when the person moved in. Its basically her trying to justify her deposit retention. :(:(

OP, what's the benefit in engaging in any correspondence with her now?

Hi Grandpa Hassan,

Engaging with her to ensure she knows Why I am paying her what I am paying her so its in black and white I suppose? silly reason maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Hi Grandpa Hassan,

Engaging with her to ensure she knows Why I am paying her what I am paying her so its in black and white I suppose? silly reason maybe.
    Also I forgot to mention a tenant or licensee Moved out before me In July, then my friend moved in, she kept money from the previous lodger out of her deposit for a "deep clean" of the room, which was spotless already, and kept additional money for bills even though the bills did not cost as to what she kept. She held I think 150 euro from the previous lodger, who was German, The German girl tried to follow the LL For it, she ignored her calls.

Treat her the way she treated the tenant previously - ignore her calls and emails and if she does come to your work place, call the police. Don't engage her, you'll never survive the profession you are in if you don't stick up for yourself. I think you should also give the Revenue a call about your suspicions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I forgot to mention that Threshold got back to me Via email & were actually helpful, however they did warn that the LL Can go to the small claims court if she feels I left her out a pocket,

Small claims court fee of 25euro to claim back cleaning fee of 30euro, which she will undoubtedly lose or just win the 30euro as you have the photos of how you left it.

I would not stress it to much, if she does do it, its another place she would have to have her earnings from the rent on file, make the revenues review and the socials alot easier.

Don't stress it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

What a wagon.

We never got a cup of tea! But yes a great system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,186 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

IN any event, a claim under the small claims procedure can only be under a limited number of headings two of which deal with claims against businesses (which the OP is not), the third deals with claiming back tenancy deposits and the fourth relates to claims for minor damage to property. It's hard to see that a disputable cleaning fee comes under "damage" to property.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Wow - she is frankly taking the piss. As already covered here , you are within your rights to not pay a penny more and move on. Maintenance fee?? , €625 a month for a room with a live in landlord + another person is downright crazy money and another example of a landlord taking the piss out of people with the market at present.

Maybe more fool me , but I rent a double room in my house to a tenant for half that. €325 a month bills and 'maintenance' included for a double room in Dublin and I think that's a fair price for a good tenant. Wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I thought I was taking advantage of people.

Hope you get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I'd pay the 30 euros I know it's not fair but gives her no cause to come after you or to contact you again. If she goes after you for the February rent then you should tell her to go to the small claims court it would cost her very little to do so the most you have to lose is court fee + rent. She more than likely would lose.

Either way she will have to stop harassing you and you will be free of her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

Thanks Mark Anthony that is my major fear re the small claims court.

This girl / woman whatever she is, would be the type to follow me to the ends of the earth and back to prove a point. Hopefully the facts speak for themselves, I can leave when I want and she cannot keep deposits. The room was left in a good state I have a few photos to prove that,

On terms of a new tenant, we had girls viewing the place, on Wednesday. I gave the house tour to a lovely Spanish girl 25, and very easy going, perfect lodger, she advised she could move in ASAP To the LL & Myself.

but the LL Has advised she wants to keep looking for the right fit.

She has a lovely girl prepared to move In tomorrow & also the other lodger likes the Spanish girl so total perfect fit yet she is sitting tight as the LL promised if she got a tenant in she would not charge me the remainder of the Feb rent (she isn't getting it) only up to when the person moved in. Its basically her trying to justify her deposit retention. :(:(

You seem like a nice person but you really have to take the advice on board thats been given here, state your position to her and just move on. Stop worrying about an infinite number of outcomes that wont happen.

In respect of the €30 for cleaning. If she can prove with a dated receipt from a cleaning company that the room was cleaned to a professional standard before you moved in and that you did not reciprocate this, then she is entitled to claim the €30 off you.

She will not be entertained in a small claims court without documentary evidence that it was cleaned to a professional standard and you have photos to back up how you left the room - i.e. not like cattle trod through it.

Take the advice and move on. Stop stressing out about the small things that cannot happen because in this situation you have done everything legally above board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

I'd pay the 30 euros I know it's not fair but gives her no cause to come after you or to contact you again. If she goes after you for the February rent then you should tell her to go to the small claims court it would cost her very little to do so the most you have to lose is court fee + rent. She more than likely would lose.

Either way she will have to stop harassing you and you will be free of her.

This is crap advice. Have you not read all the posts and understand that this is not the same as a tenancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Wheelsonthebus

DO NOT PAY THIS WOMAN THE €30- you will only encourage her!!!!!!

DO NOT PAY THIS WOMAN THE €30- you will only encourage her!!!!!!

Ok wheelsonthebus (I love your name epic)

I will let you know the outcome next week, once I pay the money over, tonight,

I know its going to be nasty and unpleasant but I am not breaking any laws, at least I know this.

My housemate the old one just mailed me, As I sent her on the mail from the LL And she was disgusted, I cant put it on boards as its not right to take a personal mail and put it up here, but the LL Criticised that she found dust on a skirting board and the mirror in the bathroom was not washed to standard, The shelf in the fridge that I used was not wiped down, the press I used in the kitchen was not dusted, the place was filthy when I moved in, she's a dirty person and myself and the other girl did ALL THE CLEANING.

She literally has 2 cleaners living with her paying her bills. I am getting so angry now, :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: over it. I need to draw a line and move on.

Thanks a mill guys once again advice is noted.

x:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

and breathe :)

Ok wheelsonthebus (I love your name epic)

I will let you know the outcome next week, once I pay the money over, tonight,

I know its going to be nasty and unpleasant but I am not breaking any laws, at least I know this.

My housemate the old one just mailed me, As I sent her on the mail from the LL And she was disgusted, I cant put it on boards as its not right to take a personal mail and put it up here, but the LL Criticised that she found dust on a skirting board and the mirror in the bathroom was not washed to standard, The shelf in the fridge that I used was not wiped down, the press I used in the kitchen was not dusted, the place was filthy when I moved in, she's a dirty person and myself and the other girl did ALL THE CLEANING.

She literally has 2 cleaners living with her paying her bills. I am getting so angry now, :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: over it. I need to draw a line and move on.

Thanks a mill guys once again advice is noted.

x:):):)

Fair play to you. It'll be really hard to do- but you have to ignore her. She sounds like a nasty person and any interaction with her will just add fuel to the fire and will get you p*ssed off and angry. The best thing you can do is ignore her and rise above it. After a few weeks it'll die down. The last thing you want to do is get in a circle of recrimination. Trust me- ignoring her will drive her mad and make you feel much better.

she found dust on a skirting board and the mirror in the bathroom was not washed to standard, The shelf in the fridge that I used was not wiped down, the press I used in the kitchen was not dusted

Cost to fix all this: 1 J cloth + water = About 10 cents maybe.

I assume she has some kind of cloth and water, so real cost= Zero (€0.00)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

myself and the other girl did ALL THE CLEANING.

let her harrass you for the 30euro, you have someone else who can confirm it is cleaned to a higher standard than when you moved in, job done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 380 ✭✭macyard

Cost to fix all this: 1 J cloth + water = About 10 cents maybe.

I assume she has some kind of cloth and water, so real cost= Zero (€0.00)

Op should have cleaned that stuff though, cleaning the fridge and mirror is something you do before you leave, if that is all she is complaining about I would go back and finish what you missed op.

macyard wrote: »
    Op should have cleaned that stuff though, cleaning the fridge and mirror is something you do before you leave, if that is all she is complaining about I would go back and finish what you missed op.

I did clean it and got the LL To look at the room!! She confirmed on Tuesday night it was fine. Her email said "I know you are not a professional cleaner but in the cold light of day, it was not to standard"

I did clean it and got the LL To look at the room!! She confirmed on Tuesday night it was fine. Her email said "I know you are not a professional cleaner but in the cold light of day, it was not to standard"

If you have photo's of the mirror and fridge being clean send them to her and tell her she inspected it tuesday and be done so

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I have to laugh at her complaining about dust a few days after you've left. My apartment is a serious dust trap, I can dust on a Saturday morning and it will be dusty again on the Sunday.

This is complete madness.

I don't have photos of the fridge. but I just cant be dealing with her being so petty over dust & a mirror which I 100% Cleaned macyard.

I paid the 430 there, which is rent / bills / "cleaning" to ease my conscience and to feel free from her incase I did do a bad job which personally I don't think I did. I will get a lot of backlash for this I know but its done now and I feel better for it as she cant get me at all now I come across the better person I think. She can clearly see in her bank account that 430 is for rent 550 minus deposit -250 & plus bills 100 euro, & cleaning 30. I don't need to send her an email explaining, its fairly obvious.

She said she would clean the room herself only she has a busy schedule in the email she sent me- Eh busy doing what being unemployed and sitting around.

She can do absolutely nothing to me now. I am legally and mentally free from this woman.

Also the other housemate told me there she is taking the Spanish girl in to rent the room and she is moving in tomorrow, Zero financial loss to her so please god this all comes to an end soon. :):):) thank you so much to you all. I could not recommend boards enough.

Free legal advice & moral support :) xxxx

I don't have photos of the fridge. but I just cant be dealing with her being so petty over dust & a mirror which I 100% Cleaned macyard.

I paid the 430 there, which is rent / bills / "cleaning" to ease my conscience and to feel free from her incase I did do a bad job which personally I don't think I did. I will get a lot of backlash for this I know but its done now and I feel better for it as she cant get me at all now I come across the better person I think. She can clearly see in her bank account that 430 is for rent 550 minus deposit -250 & plus bills 100 euro, & cleaning 30. I don't need to send her an email explaining, its fairly obvious.

She said she would clean the room herself only she has a busy schedule in the email she sent me- Eh busy doing what being unemployed and sitting around.

She can do absolutely nothing to me now. I am legally and mentally free from this woman.

Also the other housemate told me there she is taking the Spanish girl in to rent the room and she is moving in tomorrow, Zero financial loss to her so please god this all comes to an end soon. :):):) thank you so much to you all. I could not recommend boards enough.

I would have went back with a male friend to rub it down to spite her and said now is it clean enough

• Registered Users Posts: 28,667 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As you said yourself OP, draw a line under this now and move on do not reply to any more calls, text or emails from this woman

I personally wouldn't have paid her for the "cleaning" and I think (as I said earlier in the thread) that you also need to learn from this whole experience and not be as soft in the future, but at least the main thing is that it's resolved.

Others may disagree with the above and think I'm being harsh, but renting in this country is a lottery insofar as the experience you'll have, and you really need to be able to shrug off nonsense like your LL was pulling without being out of pocket unnecessarily or stressing yourself over it.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    As you said yourself OP, draw a line under this now and move on do not reply to any more calls, text or emails from this woman

I personally wouldn't have paid her for the "cleaning" and I think (as I said earlier in the thread) that you also need to learn from this whole experience and not be as soft in the future, but at least the main thing is that it's resolved.

Others may disagree with the above and think I'm being harsh, but renting in this country is a lottery insofar as the experience you'll have, and you really need to be able to shrug off nonsense like your LL was pulling without being out of pocket unnecessarily or stressing yourself over it.

Thanks Kaiser but I can honestly say only for boards I would have been out 270 euro (Cleaning & deposit) & probably would of paid her till the end of Feb so out even more than that so thankfully due to taking a risk and sharing on this forum I at least copped on a bit. I will suck up the 30e loss, and call it a life lesson. I feel prepared as in if she approaches me I can say I Paid you Jan Rent & bills & cleaning I am done u cant touch me. :eek: thanks all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭tonyfillony

Line drawn OP.
    Enjoy your weekend

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement