Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental dispute with Landlord I live with

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

Powerfairy wrote: »
    .... Her email said "I know you are not a professional cleaner but in the cold light of day, it was not to standard"

By the sound of things, this yoke doesn't know terribly much about the "cold light of day".

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Good on you OP, it's done and done well, and you might well benefit from the experience in the long term.

One final piece of advice: take those emails and archive them somewhere safe, in case this person ever rears their greedy head again in your personal or professional life. Then forget you ever met her and have a great weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thanks Kaiser but I can honestly say only for boards I would have been out 270 euro (Cleaning & deposit) & probably would of paid her till the end of Feb so out even more than that so thankfully due to taking a risk and sharing on this forum I at least copped on a bit. I will suck up the 30e loss, and call it a life lesson. I feel prepared as in if she approaches me I can say I Paid you Jan Rent & bills & cleaning I am done u cant touch me. :eek: thanks all.

Now make sure that her number is blacklisted on your phone, if you have a work phone can it blacklist numbers, blocked on your personal email and if your work has a spam/block setting set it up. Enjoy and don't forget to get onto revenue and social on Monday, there are still 2 other people being suckered by her.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Powerfairy

Del2005 wrote: »
    Now make sure that her number is blacklisted on your phone, if you have a work phone can it blacklist numbers, blocked on your personal email and if your work has a spam/block setting set it up. Enjoy and don't forget to get onto revenue and social on Monday, there are still 2 other people being suckered by her.

Thanks del2005 the hassle has just begun she's calling my phone so I blocked that she rang from a house number I blocked it too, she is blocked from Hotmail also it goes to spam but not gona lie her attempts at contacting me are a bit scary and I feel pressurised Into emailing her and telling her why I paid 430, as I haven't yet.

Just really wish this nightmare would end. Put me off renting for life but what choice do I have in dublin. Can't exactly buy a house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 380 ✭✭macyard

Thanks del2005 the hassle has just begun she's calling my phone so I blocked that she rang from a house number I blocked it too, she is blocked from Hotmail also it goes to spam but not gona lie her attempts at contacting me are a bit scary and I feel pressurised Into emailing her and telling her why I paid 430, as I haven't yet.

Just really wish this nightmare would end. Put me off renting for life but what choice do I have in dublin. Can't exactly buy a house.

You should have explained the breakdown of the last payment when you gave it to her, if she doesn't realise why you gave that payment she will keep trying to contact you

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

You've got some great advice on this thread.

If it was me I'd be telling her in baby language why I paid x and why she should now stop contacting you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Send her an email stating -

'I paid you x amount for y, z amount for b, a amount for c.

This matter is closed, and I would like you to stop contacting me. We no longer do business. '

If she continues to hound you, go to the gardai and report her for harassment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I wouldn't even bother with that. Tell that biatch that you've paid in full and don't owe her a penny. Tell her too that either she stops calling you, or you'll be going to the Gards with your phone as proof.

AND I'd be grassing her up first thing tomorrow. Give these people an inch and they take the proverbial...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

If it were me OP, I'd answer one phone call, state that she's been paid in full and any further attempts to contact you will be regarded at harassment and will, as such, be reported to the Gardaí. Literally, that's all you say. You then hang up and when the next phone call comes, go to your local Garda station and follow through on what you've said. That won't be long softening her cough.

I wouldn't even bother with that. Tell that biatch that you've paid in full and don't owe her a penny. Tell her too that either she stops calling you, or you'll be going to the Gards with your phone as proof.

AND I'd be grassing her up first thing tomorrow. Give these people an inch and they take the proverbial...

I sent her an email and if she replies to this I will tell her I am reporting her to the gardai for harassment,

On another note the block option doesn't work on the iPhone 5 she can still ring me from a landline which she will not stop doing grrrrrr x thanks guys x

Hello

I spoke to citizen’s advice & got legal advice re the leave of notice, my rights as a lodger (not a tenant as it is owner occupied) and also the fact that there is no signed contract in place.

Legally you are not in any way allowed to keep my deposit unless I caused actual damage, which I did not, and I have taken many many photos to affirm this fact. I have been legally advised to pay the rent minus the deposit, which I have done
    . Regarding rent alone, you got €300 (550 – 250 deposit)

Bills are estimated as 100 which you agreed to. I paid you for cleaning no problem @ €30 which is fine. I really did clean everything To a high standard and if I was moving in, I would be happy with its current condition.

In all, you received 430 as a full and final settlement

Good luck with your future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

nkay1985 wrote: »
    If it were me OP, I'd answer one phone call, state that she's been paid in full and any further attempts to contact you will be regarded at harassment and will, as such, be reported to the Gardaí. Literally, that's all you say. You then hang up and when the next phone call comes, go to your local Garda station and follow through on what you've said. That won't be long softening her cough.

This is good advice. I would even write down exactly what you want to say and keep it with you so that you don't get swayed if you do have to speak with her

I sent her an email and if she replies to this I will tell her I am reporting her to the gardai for harassment,

On another note the block option doesn't work on the iPhone 5 she can still ring me from a landline which she will not stop doing grrrrrr x thanks guys x

Hello

I spoke to citizen’s advice & got legal advice re the leave of notice, my rights as a lodger (not a tenant as it is owner occupied) and also the fact that there is no signed contract in place.

Legally you are not in any way allowed to keep my deposit unless I caused actual damage, which I did not, and I have taken many many photos to affirm this fact. I have been legally advised to pay the rent minus the deposit, which I have done
    . Regarding rent alone, you got €300 (550 – 250 deposit)

Bills are estimated as 100 which you agreed to. I paid you for cleaning no problem @ €30 which is fine. I really did clean everything To a high standard and if I was moving in, I would be happy with its current condition.

In all, you received 430 as a full and final settlement

Good luck with your future

Where did you get legal advise do you still have the solicitor on retainer, I would not say threshold info is legal advise so don't use the word legal advise unless it was from a solicitor and then you should have them send this letter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

macyard wrote: »
    Where did you get legal advise do you still have the solicitor on retainer, I would not say threshold info is legal advise so don't use the word legal advise unless it was from a solicitor and then you should have them send this letter

I'm pretty sure she can get the legal advise formally at a later stage if needs be.

I'm pretty sure she can get the legal advise formally at a later stage if needs be.

She used the she already has it and if she doesn't and is wrong on something it can go bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭NewYork1979

Ah now, if she needs to back up her "legal advice" she can do so if needed later on. Give her a break, she's trying her best to deal with someone who clearly is quite difficult to deal with.
    macyard wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

What an absolute weirdo. Frankly she's bullying you with a view to extracting as much money from you as possible. Laugh it off and if she keeps going report her to the guards.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

macyard cut it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

If she rings from the house phone to your mobile answer the call but immediately put your phone down without disconnecting the call and let her rant away to her hearts desire to nobody! Calls to mobiles are quite expensive from landlines:D

Ah now, if she needs to back up her "legal advice" she can do so if needed later on. Give her a break, she's trying her best to deal with someone who clearly is quite difficult to deal with.

Thank you, you have no idea how awful this situation is, Especially with a very sick family member the worry of that and enough crap on my plate, and the LL being fully aware of this and not caring still harassing,

legal advice is threshold I thought they advised the law and how It didnt apply when renting with a landlord, if she goes down that road picking legal out of my email it is a very bad act but I wouldn't put it past her tbh she's capable of literally anything.

Ok I think it's good for this thread to be shut down now if the_morrigan is happy to do so obviously as its served its purpose. X

Just fantastic advice from everyone and I've taken it all on board, the LL sent me a nasty reply there lashing out so I think that's the end of it for now please God as she had her rant vented lashed out told me what she thinks of me and that is that, x

Thanks everyone and have a lovely Sunday night x

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

If she contacts you once more, go to the gardai.

Powerfairy, I've locked it up for you as per your last post. If you need the thread re-opened drop me a pm.

Morri

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Thank you, you have no idea how awful this situation is, Especially with a very sick family member the worry of that and enough crap on my plate, and the LL being fully aware of this and not caring still harassing,

legal advice is threshold I thought they advised the law and how It didnt apply when renting with a landlord, if she goes down that road picking legal out of my email it is a very bad act but I wouldn't put it past her tbh she's capable of literally anything.

To be honest OP I really think you are reading too much into what you think she is capable of doing. She's been chancing her arm from day one and she's been lucky to find someone like you who I think it's safe to say is still a little naive and lacks confidence.

Frankly she's a failed middle management bully with zero power. One thing I've learned about people like her is if you just tell them to go Fvck themselves they usually back down pretty damn quick.

Please please please forget about her. The only thing I would do is give her a clear breakdown of what you are paying for so that you can get closure. Then move on with your life. You have so much more important things to deal with. Please don't let this colour your relationships with people in the future other than to learn that not everyone is fair and honest. Don't get stressed and remember you will laugh about her behaviour in the future. Trust me, you will.

Folks I received an update from the OP in relation to this thread.

So what happened next...

Ok so I Stuck to my guns and paid the LL Or owner occupier the 430. So No I Didn't let her keep my deposit. What happened next was very much what I was expecting from her. The week from hell.

So it started off with her sending me many, many emails to my work address my Hotmail address, and 15 phone calls a day.

The emails were of a threatening nature, telling me if I do not pay her the €250 deposit, I will be summonsed to court. She even rang the guards on me, threatened to call to my work, to drive to my home town (which is almost 2 hours away), that she will not forget this €250 & I had better pay It back asap.

I stayed strong and never replied to one email only when it got a bit too much she threatened that she was going to call down to my work address & ring my work phone & I need to pay in order to save myself "the embarrassment of a personal call"

She stalked my work colleagues and myself on LinkedIn, she pasted my companies "code of conduct" into an email and highlighted the trustworthy and honest part of it, in bold,
    She called me a liar many times and that citizens advice would never give legal advice over the phone or let someone steal their deposit back, just general abuse, She went to her solicitor / the guards / citizens advice, and advised she was taking me to court and was going to win.

When the abuse got too much I sent back one reply asking her to stop contacting me or I will go to the guards, she didn't stop, I got 10+ calls later, so I went to the guards myself with a plastic folder bursting full of emails, and a phone full of calls from her landline, and private numbers.

The lovely guard said it was harassment for sure, took her number and called her.

The next day I receive an email from the LL, Advising that in an effort to "write my wrong" I should pay her 100 euro for 5 days of the house being unoccupied, as she has a new tenant moving in Saturday, So I moved out on the 20th of Jan, I am paid to the 25th of Jan, she wants me to pay to the 1st of Feb, to make up for what I have done wrong, She advised that she knows if she goes to court she will lose, due to her being an owner occupier, but I am still to pay this in order to fulfil my part of the made up agreement in her head.

I didn't respond. So the moral of the story, Big scary bully's don't always win. Don't let a strong personality bully you, don't pay for something you clearly do not owe, and trust that the law is on your side (only when it actually is)

On a final note This will make you laugh, That 30 euro I paid for cleaning? Yeah she didn't touch my room, not even a dusting down, the new bloke moved in Saturday, so no cleaner was hired. My clean must have been to a high standard after all. There are bad people in the world. And that is a fact. This woman knew I hadn't much money, she knew I couldn't pay the maintenance fee, or the higher rent so I was leaving for a legitimate reason, knew my father was seriously ill, Knew I was very soft natured and a very good tenant,, and she literally tried to stamp all over me,

LESSON LEARNED.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement