Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental dispute with Landlord I live with

Options
  • 19-01-2015 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi Guys

Ok so I do not post to boards very often, but desperate times call for desperate measures,

I Have been renting in a house in Dublin for a year and 1 month, My Landlord recently increased my rent, and I am a trainee accountant so I have to move. Its too expensive for my budget and I really struggled to pay that rent on my very low salary.

I found a property 155 euro cheaper than what I currently pay, so I paid the deposit Friday, and gave my notice to my Landlord last night in my current place where I live ( I actually share with my landlord she lives with me and another girl) I only gave a weeks notice as I have to move into the other property as soon as possible.

My rent is paid in arrears, so I pay on the 25th of each month (PAYDAY)

I Moved into the property in December 2013, my landlord never made me sign a lease however she made me pay €300 of a maintenance fee for the year to pay for the upkeep of the grounds as to where we live. She took this out of my deposit of 550 so I have 250 of a deposit left. So My rent at that time was 550, along with the 300 so in total per month including that charge 575.

The rent has increased to 625 (Including that maintenance fee which she wants paid in 3 drops so she wanted 75 euro this month and 75 in Feb & March this was the nail in the coffin for me) so I told her I had to move. I Know I am giving her a weeks notice only, but she has acted in my opinion quite out of order. I have agreed to advertise the property for her in my place of work which I have done on the internal internet site, I told her she can keep my 250 euro deposit, & I told her I will be out of the property this Thursday,

She is demanding that I pay the Feb rent also, so 1250, I don't have it. At all. & I am in no contract whatsoever, signed nothing with her, ever, but I don't want to leave on bad terms so I feel serious pressure to pay it even though its almost my entire wages.

The only reason I am moving is purely because I have not got the money to pay that rent anymore. I am on a very bad salary as in my rent and then bills is almost half my salary net.

She is getting very aggressive about it. Emailing my work, advising that the sooner I get the room rented the better etc, and that its my problem.

I need any advice at all as to what to do as this is a really bad situation I am in. I would like to also point out that my dad has pancreatic cancer he is very ill, I have to commute home regularly and stay in the rented Dublin house Max 3 nights a week, As I am at home in my part of the country the majority of the time.

What I want to do is pay her the rent on Friday for January and any bills I owe so ESB UPC & Bins, so estimated 600 or 650 euro, and let her keep the 250 so she has money until she finds another tenant. What she wants to do is for me to pay 600 + the difference in the rent for Feb, so 300 (550-250 = 300) & 650 so she wants 950 off me on Friday.

Legally do I have to pay this. I have been a super tenant, very clean, tidy, quiet, and even let her use my gym membership whenever she wanted. I want an easy life I do not want anyone bullying me for money, I am afraid if I see her again after I move out she could be aggressive so I feel serious pressure to go to the credit union and get a small loan to cover the Feb rent.

Sorry this is a huge post. Legally can the Landlord follow me for the Feb rent?

Thanks a mill for any advice at all. Its all appreciated.

xxxxx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

because you live with the owner you are not a tenant but a licensee(like a house guest) and have no rights as such but it also means that you only have to give minimal notice when you want to leave!

You can move out with only 24hours notice if you need to but the normal would be to give a month or a week or two depending on whether you paid rent weekly or monthly.

As for paying her rent you can pay for all of January if you want to but I would only be paying up to the end of whatever notice was given. she has no right to chase you for rent for February or other made up charges.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

You're living with the landlord? Then there's no obligation on notice periods, etc. You've given notice and are prepared to pay for the rent you owe, don't pay a penny more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,679 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Powerfairy wrote: »
    What I want to do is pay her the rent on Friday for January and any bills I owe so ESB UPC & Bins, so estimated 600 or 650 euro, and let her keep the 250 so she has money until she finds another tenant.

Do that, and tell her that if she continues to harass you, you will be filing a complaint with the guards.

She has no right to any rent for February, and frankly the whole "maintenance fee" thing sounds dodgy as ***

You sound like you're a very polite person. Unfortunately when dealing with this type, you something have to be very blunt and direct. Don't be rude, but don't stand for any nonsense either. (Think of it as practise for dealing with the difficult clients you will have to deal with later in your career.)

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Jasper79

Yeah move out and don't worry about he Feb Rent, you're not liable for it. A week's notice fine when a licensee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

I think you can tell her to take her demand for February rent and shove it up her a$$ (though maybe not so bluntly).

I would give her a gentle reminder that you are under no obligation to find a replacement tenant and that you are only doing so to be helpful.

I don't see any entitlement for her to keep your deposit, so if she keeps harassing you and contacting you at work I would be threatening to call the gardai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I take it you've done €250 damage to the room?

Tell her here's the rent minus the deposit - c.€400. Absolute cheek of the person. You're a glorified house guest. If she keeps on as above contact the guards.

Where the hell are you living Clontarf or Ballsbridge? That rent+all the other stuff is just pure greed, there's no ways she's paying tax (or very little tax) on it.

I'm actually angry reading the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Give her the rent owed until today minus your deposit and move out. You do not owe her any notice, nor do you have any obligation to replace yourself as a tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Powerfairy

Hi guys I suppose I am a lodger if I live with the landlord? She is very intimidating and is quite a bit older than me and she knows where i work so for an easy life i am tempted to just pay her off. She could be a manager of mine some day as she was once a manager in pwc and dublin is a small pond, if I were to pay her January rent on Friday and the bills i owe and then the deposit she can keep basically she can not follow me for the remainder February rent! Is what I am hearing?
    thanks for all the advice. I told her I was moving out last night and today I got four emails to my work advising I need to find a tenant in my own best interests so I don't owe her further money, what makes ME angry is she knows my financial situation and my personal one also with my dad very very Sick and this does not phase her, it's all money. I lived with her in dublin 3 (I will keep location to myself but gorgeous area) for a year and it was fine as I study and keep in my room when there mostly as I have no life until I qualify (other trainees will understand) so I do think on a personal level she is being very unfair also, I would not pay her the rent minus the remaining deposit as I understand I have inconvenienced her and now she has to find a new person which is a hassle but where I have issue is her following me for feb, when I am not there, and demanding it. And being genuinely scary

Thanks for all the help guys I feel better prepared for facing up to her this evening, x wish me luck

PWC, grant thornton etc all have their heads screwed on. Any pissing about by a manager to an employee would be swiftly dealt with. She's a bully plain and simple. Figurative swift kick to the balls is always the best way with bullies.

2/3 more stops up the DART line and you'll have much cheaper rents in very nice areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

OP Sorry about your Dad it can’t be an easy time for you.

You are not responsible for the up keep you are paying rent to live there that should also cover the upkeep, she is really taking advantage. Move as soon as possible. Also take down the ad in work it would reflect badly if anybody you know moved in with her, it’s her house it’s her problem. I’d pay the rent and tell her to keep the deposit to cover the bill. Do it after you’ve moved you stuff and stand your ground.

OP she will never be your manager you'd be mad to work for her. She must have more than her fair share of enemies I wouldn't work about here. Is she still working in one of the big companies? There must be a reason why she still doesn't work for PWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Hi guys I suppose I am a lodger if I live with the landlord? She is very intimidating and is quite a bit older than me and she knows where i work so for an easy life i am tempted to just pay her off. She could be a manager of mine some day as she was once a manager in pwc and dublin is a small pond, if I were to pay her January rent on Friday and the bills i owe and then the deposit she can keep basically she can not follow me for the remainder February rent! Is what I am hearing?
    thanks for all the advice. I told her I was moving out last night and today I got four emails to my work advising I need to find a tenant in my own best interests so I don't owe her further money, what makes ME angry is she knows my financial situation and my personal one also with my dad very very Sick and this does not phase her, it's all money. I lived with her in dublin 3 (I will keep location to myself but gorgeous area) for a year and it was fine as I study and keep in my room when there mostly as I have no life until I qualify (other trainees will understand) so I do think on a personal level she is being very unfair also, I would not pay her the rent minus the remaining deposit as I understand I have inconvenienced her and now she has to find a new person which is a hassle but where I have issue is her following me for feb, when I am not there, and demanding it. And being genuinely scary

Thanks for all the help guys I feel better prepared for facing up to her this evening, x wish me luck
    She's taking you for an expensive ride and knows full well she can bully you into getting the money as you seem to just to give in to her demands.
    If it was the other way around and she wanted you out she could get rid of you pretty quickly.
    You are going to meet clients and people in your work like her? What are you going to do? just let them walk all over you!!

Does the other girl who lives there pay rent as well? It all sounds a bit dodge especially that €300 of a maintenance fee for the year to pay for the upkeep of the grounds. Let her ring your workplace and send you emails, but do not pay rent for Feb as you are not living, its up to her to find a new tenant. If she continues to harass you report her to the guards. What a nightmare.

OP have a read of the information in this link

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/sharing_accommodation_with_your_landlord.html

It will tell you all you need to know about your current living arrangement.

OP - I'd take down the ad you posted.
    You won't have any more contact with her after you move out but you could be working with the person who moves in for years to come.

• Site Banned Posts: 12 karlmarker

she was dumb letting you pay in arrears

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

OP if both tenants are paying 575 a month she is well in excess of the limit for the rent a room scheme before you even consider bills. I'd be paying her rent only on Friday getting out asap and dropping revenue a line.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

Please don't let her keep the deposit for no reason other than the easy life!

OP if both tenants are paying 575 a month she is well in excess of the limit for the rent a room scheme before you even consider bills. I'd be paying her rent only on Friday getting out asap and dropping revenue a line.

Or at least threaten this. If she's an accountant this might be enough to get her to cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Th3B1tcH

Sorry about your Dad hope things workout you dont need this crap now :(
    Your just a licensee as others posters have said so just move out settle all bills owned -250 (unless you have done 250 wroth of damage).
    As for her being maybe being your future boss dont pay that any heed lots can change :)
    If she gives you a hard time or any hassle report to guards or if concerns work talk to HR.
    Also like The_Morrigan says over the limit with rent a room so even a threat from you to report her to revenue will probally stop her bullying you. (warn the other girl she may try do same.)
    Some good advice posted here try follow it and you be ok but legally you only own bills and up to time you hand back the keys as licensee.
    GL :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Hi OP,

Please dont pay this lady, if she was a manager in PWC she knows she is full of rubbish.

As others have said you need to toughen up, but if you need someone to speak on your behalf i would ask your HR in work, or drop me a PM. I love fighting with fools like your ll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

She is very intimidating and is quite a bit older than me and she knows where i work so for an easy life i am tempted to just pay her off.

This kind of attitude is why people like her continue to get away with bullying people. Grow a spine and look after yourself. If I were in your situation, if anything, I'd be going after her for this "maintenance" money she took from the deposit.

And when you do move out, block her number, block her email and tell your workplace not to accept calls from her.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

Your Landlord sounds like a complete chancer.

Trying too rob you of as much money as she can scam out of you while making you feel guilty about it....pure con artist.

Whats more she probably has herself convinced she is actually entitled to it and doing you a favour.

She sounds like nothing more then a bully.

If she is being scary it's just she knows that it works to get money out of you.

Stand up to her...you have nothing too loose and I bet she backs down quite quickly.

Move out, keep you deposit, just give her what you really owe her.

Look I understand some people think I need to "grow a spine" I get that, but all I want is to end on good terms as I quite like the other girl I live with she is moving out in May with her boyfriend, so I wanted to make the situation as bearable as possible, my landlord is currently unemployed and collects social welfare as she left her job to return to education and finish her masters, so I think she has all her tax credits correct in terms of rent a room reliefs as the social welfare would have looked into this I would hope. I really would hate to rat someone out to revenue I would be afraid karma would kick ME in the arse, the only thing I personally think is fair on her is to pay January as I stayed in January pay the bills let her keep the deposit and if she tries to chase Me with a further 300 euros for the feb rent I will pull out the revenue card only if it goes that far big believer in its nice to be nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

What are you letting her keep the deposit for? You are an adult now, you need to learn to stand up for yourself.

big believer in its nice to be nice

It is but business is business and people should be treated as they treat people.

Best of luck with it. I hope you're looking for as room if I'm renting one out!

Look I understand some people think I need to "grow a spine" I get that, but all I want is to end on good terms as I quite like the other girl I live with she is moving out in May with her boyfriend, so I wanted to make the situation as bearable as possible, my landlord is currently unemployed and collects social welfare as she left her job to return to education and finish her masters, so I think she has all her tax credits correct in terms of rent a room reliefs as the social welfare would have looked into this I would hope. I really would hate to rat someone out to revenue I would be afraid karma would kick ME in the arse, the only thing I personally think is fair on her is to pay January as I stayed in January pay the bills let her keep the deposit and if she tries to chase Me with a further 300 euros for the feb rent I will pull out the revenue card only if it goes that far big believer in its nice to be nice

Tell her you want the deposit back or you will be reporting her to Revenue as well as the Social Welfare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Pay what you owe up to the day you leave the house. Don't pay for the rest of the month, she is defiantly chancing her arm "asking" for February's rent.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Her tax credits are not in order.

The maximum you can earn up to 31st Dec 2014 was €10k per annum, that has now increased to €12k.
    If you earn over that amount you must pay tax on the entire amount and you are not entitled to DSP payments. I lost my entitlement to JSA because my lodger was paying me 5k a year, there isn't a hope she is unemployed, declaring all this income and receiving DSP payments.

You need to toughen up, you have said from the start this is all stemming from not having enough cash, she is fleecing you amd you are letting her. If you are training to be an accountant you have to be able to take a hard line, report potential issues and shop people to revenue if needs be, otherwise you will end up being a scapegoat to someone who can and will walk over you.

In this instance you have no recourse through the PRTB like a tenant does, you have to take control of this situation and just do what is right and legal and not be bullied into paying her bills and mortgage because you don't want to deal with the hassle.

She has no right to anything other than the rent for January and any outstanding bills. Nothing else should be paid.

Thank you to the morrigan for your very infomed reply,
    Ok so the plan of action is as follows:

1. Grow a back bone
    2. I have to do a deep clean of the room tomorrow and ensuite which my LL will inspect to ensure its up to standard. She's advised that she will request 30 euro for a cleaner if not done to her standard
    3. Move out Wednesday after big clean Tuesday, latest day to move out Thursday
    4. Bank transfer on Friday when I get paid transferring rent and bills (as advised by the moderators and various other lovely helpful people deduct the deposit which makes me extremely nervous) transfer in total 550 + 100 bills - 250 deposit so 400 euro

5. Friday send a text advising what I have paid to her advise her that keeping my deposit is Unfair the room is perfect I have no lease agreement i signed nothing I can leave when I want and she can't charge ME for feb as I won't be there.

6. She will retaliate threaten revenue.

7. She could contact my place of employment. Main concern is this,

Thanks all. Let's hope this works....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

7. She could contact my place of employment. Main concern is this,

Thanks all. Let's hope this works....

She won't, on 2 counts.

1. She knows her own tax affairs aren't in order, she won't go screaming to a big 4 company about one of their employees doing what? Following the law?

2. You say she could possibly be your boss one day. That implies she's also an accountant/cfa or something. Might want a job with them some day. Hardly going to ****e all over her chances of that by complaining to them that their law abiding employee isn't giving in to her extortion demands (and when they follow up with you find out that she wasn't tax compliant either).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement