Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental dispute with Landlord I live with

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Powerfairy

Powerfairy wrote: »
    Sorry Guys I was going to email her this if its ok let me know

Hi

Unfortunately, I can’t clean the room as my father has his scan today and I am working from home.

I spoke to citizen’s advice & got legal advice re the leave of notice, my rights as a lodger (not a tenant as it is owner occupied) and also the fact that there is no signed contract in place.

Legally you are not in any way allowed to keep my deposit unless I caused actual damage, which I did not, and I have taken many photos to affirm this fact. I have been legally advised to pay the rent minus the deposit, which I will be doing today. Regarding rent alone, you are getting €300 (550 – 250).

Bills are estimated as 100 which you agreed to. I will pay you for cleaning no problem @ €30 which is fine. I really did clean everything as best I could and if I was moving in, I would be happy with its current condition.

In all, you will receive €430 tonight.

Also you have a person who is ready & willing to move in tomorrow so you are at no financial loss whatsoever.

I am being more than fair here.

Thanks a million & I wish you all the best for the future.

<Snip>

Sorry GUYS I Accidentally put my name in here but thankfully its been snipped. SORRY! Boards wouldn't allow me to edit.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Sorry GUYS I Accidentally put my name in here but thankfully its been snipped. SORRY! Boards wouldn't allow me to edit.

I'm quick off the mark with my snipping!! :cool:

On the ball as always The Morrigan!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Withhold the 30 for cleaning for now. Tell her she can get it cleaned if she feels it needs it. Then she can send you the invoice, you can verify that they are a real company and she will get her 30. She cannot charge you for her time cleaning.

She has no intention of getting cleaners in. So she is assuming you don't know how it works and will give her the money.

Could another poster verify the points I outlined here please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

Dont give the €30 op, pay the 400 and let her say what she likes. You have all the relevant information as to your legal requirements and this is all that matters. Once the 400 is paid then draw a line under it and move on as its no longer your problem to deal with her.

Good luck.

• Advertisement

Withhold the 30 for cleaning for now. Tell her she can get it cleaned if she feels it needs it. Then she can send you the invoice, you can verify that they are a real company and she will get her 30. She cannot charge you for her time cleaning.

She has no intention of getting cleaners in. So she is assuming you don't know how it works and will give her the money.

Could another poster verify the points I outlined here please

That's good advice right there, but that could back fire in my face, she could get a very expensive cleaning company in & it would cost me more than 30 euro. but thanks all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

That's good advice right there, but that could back fire in my face, she could get a very expensive cleaning company in & it would cost me more than 30 euro. but thanks all the same

You are not required to pay this, its not a justified charge and its simply her trying to extract money from you based on her taking advantage of your good nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Also OP, well done on standing up for yourself. I'm delighted that you decided to ovary up and refuse to have your kindness taken advantage of.

You'll know what to do in future to make sure it never comes to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Sorry Guys I was going to email her this if its ok let me know

Hi

Unfortunately, I can’t clean the room as my father has his scan today and I am working from home.

I spoke to citizen’s advice & got legal advice re the leave of notice, my rights as a lodger (not a tenant as it is owner occupied) and also the fact that there is no signed contract in place.

Legally you are not in any way allowed to keep my deposit unless I caused actual damage, which I did not, and I have taken many photos to affirm this fact. I have been legally advised to pay the rent minus the deposit, which I will be doing today. Regarding rent alone, you are getting €300 (550 – 250).

Bills are estimated as 100 which you agreed to. I will pay you for cleaning no problem @ €30 which is fine. I really did clean everything as best I could and if I was moving in, I would be happy with its current condition.

In all, you will receive €430 tonight.

Also you have a person who is ready & willing to move in tomorrow so you are at no financial loss whatsoever.

I am being more than fair here.

Thanks a million & I wish you all the best for the future.

<Snip>

Don't give a reason as to why you can't meet her. None of her business. Just say that due to personal circumstances etc.

I would advocate asking her what in particular was not cleaned to the expected standard and reference the fact that you have photos and would need to see a receipt for the cleaning costs which you may reimburse at that point.

Btw - hope your dad's scan goes ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭tinz18

I doubt she will. If there's someone moving in tomorrow it's even doubtful that she'll whip around it herself. It's a ploy to get more money off you- as clear as day- if she hires a cleaning company that means there'll be less money going into her pocket, which I doubt she'd want. I wouldn't pay it until you got a receipt OP and I would be the make the peace type.

• Advertisement

Also OP, well done on standing up for yourself. I'm delighted that you decided to ovary up and refuse to have your kindness taken advantage of.

You'll know what to do in future to make sure it never comes to this.

Thanks very much El_Duderino I appreciate that!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

If you have already cleaned the room (I hope you took photographs) then don't pay her for 'cleaning'

She has already quoted €30 euro - so no she can't start varying her price. Pay her €400 only and move on.

Don't email her again and Ask your IT dept to block her emails on the grounds that she is spamming you at work

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

If you feel compelled to give her 30 towards the cleaning, withhold it for now and send her 30 on receipt of an invoice/receipt to prove she incurred the cost - but specify you offer 30 as agreed, not more if the cost is higher!

If it were me, I'd pay what I felt was due, and leave it at that - she'll go away once she realises she has no grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

If you do send the email, remove 'thanks a million', and insert, 'toodle oo mudda fcukka' :rolleyes:

The_Chap wrote: »
    If you feel compelled to give her 30 towards the cleaning, withhold it for now and send her 30 on receipt of an invoice/receipt to prove she incurred the cost - but specify you offer 30 as agreed, not more if the cost is higher!

If it were me, I'd pay what I felt was due, and leave it at that - she'll go away once she realises she has no grounds.

Yes I Think I will do this.
    I want to have no contact with this lady whatsoever, again.
    So the Plan of action although its a cowardly act is pay her the 400 and then send her that email, ask her for an invoice for the cleaning - and that I will pay only 30 euro & then block her from my work email & my Hotmail, and iphone.

How does that sound?

So the Plan of action although its a cowardly act is pay her the 400 and then send her that email, ask her for an invoice for the cleaning - and that I will pay only 30 euro & then block her from my work email & my Hotmail, and iphone.

How does that sound?

works for me - then move on and up ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If the room was cleaned to a level that it was like when you moved in do not pay the 30 euro.

Personally your a better person than me as I 2 old not be taking the maintenance fee off my deposit without a receipt as in my years of renting it has always been included, owner occupier or not.

Pay the amount you had settled on, move on, and ask IT to block her mail as she is clearly unhinged.

Any abuse, call the Gardai and report her to social and revenue for suspected fraud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

CramCycle wrote: »
    If the room was cleaned to a level that it was like when you moved in do not pay the 30 euro.

Personally your a better person than me as I 2 old not be taking the maintenance fee off my deposit without a receipt as in my years of renting it has always been included, owner occupier or not.

Pay the amount you had settled on, move on, and ask IT to block her mail as she is clearly unhinged.

Any abuse, call the Gardai and report her to social and revenue for suspected fraud.
    +1

include the words "as full and final settlement" somewhere in your email too

How does that sound?

No, don't.

If you keep replying to her and agreeing to additional monies then you will just keep getting into a vicious cycle.

Pay the 400 and be done with it. No emails of explanation, no further negotiations, no reasons for doing something a certain way.

Block her emails immediately and forget about her; this is causing you more stress then it's worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Hi Guys

So the time has come, to pay the rent, (I got paid today) & the Landlord has emailed my WORK, Saying that my clean is not satisfactory and she will be getting a cleaner in at a cost of 30 euro, or I Have to call today and do it again myself. ITS A TRAP. If I go to that house she will lose the plot with me

I Have to do the bank transfer now, Should I pay her the rent 550 - minus deposit of 250 & plus bills of 100 = 400 & then an additional 30 for cleaning?

Should I Respond to her email.

The next few days are going to be rough. Advice would be great. Afraid to reply to her emails as if I engage with her, it could get nasty from her side...

How do you mean she has emailed your "WORK". Do you mean she has sent an email to your work email address? I don't see what the big deal about that is?

No, don't.

If you keep replying to her and agreeing to additional monies then you will just keep getting into a vicious cycle.

Pay the 400 and be done with it. No emails of explanation, no further negotiations, no reasons for doing something a certain way.

Block her emails immediately and forget about her; this is causing you more stress then it's worth.

OK The_Morrigan So you think I should not reply at all just pay the 400 euro today and put her emails to junk? Thanks a mill

OK The_Morrigan So you think I should not reply at all just pay the 400 euro today and put her emails to junk? Thanks a mill

Yup exactly.

robbiezero wrote: »
    How do you mean she has emailed your "WORK". Do you mean she has sent an email to your work email address? I don't see what the big deal about that is?

Yeah I don't like anybody contacting me via work as its on the work server forever more, She has that email address from back in 2013 when I inquired about the room via daft. (rookie mistake) never again,

I think OP should have enough advice to choose the path he/she wishes to take - everyone has their own opinion of what "they" would do, but what matters is what the OP wants to do - his/her decision at the end of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Holding my breath here....

The_Chap wrote: »
    I think OP should have enough advice to choose the path he wishes to take - everyone has their own opinion of what "they" would do, but what matters is what the OP wants to do - his decision at the end of the day!

Haha I am a her, but yes The_Chap I see your point thanks a mill for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭AlanDeGenerous

She/her* :pac:

sneaky edit :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Hi OP, Don't pay the extra 30, she is just chancing her arm completely to get anything extra she can, basically seeing your good nature and trying to take advantage of it. I would be firm with her and say as has been stated in previous posts here that you are transferring the agreed final settlement today.

Your extra gratitude pay to her (maintenance or any extra) covers this if she so wishes. Say you have photographic evidence of the room and its current clean state. She is just trying to manipulate you and quilt trip you into paying more. Stand up for yourself, you've done no wrong, pay what was agreed and stand firm and move on. You will feel better for standing up for yourself against this manipulating person. Move on, lesson learnt, and see to your other more important issues regarding your dads health, best of luck today and going forward.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement