Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental dispute with Landlord I live with

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Powerfairy wrote: »
    Thank you to the morrigan for your very infomed reply,
    Ok so the plan of action is as follows:

1. Grow a back bone
    2. I have to do a deep clean of the room tomorrow and ensuite which my LL will inspect to ensure its up to standard. She's advised that she will request 30 euro for a cleaner if not done to her standard
    3. Move out Wednesday after big clean Tuesday, latest day to move out Thursday
    4. Bank transfer on Friday when I get paid transferring rent and bills (as advised by the moderators and various other lovely helpful people deduct the deposit which makes me extremely nervous) transfer in total 550 + 100 bills - 250 deposit so 400 euro

5. Friday send a text advising what I have paid to her advise her that keeping my deposit is Unfair the room is perfect I have no lease agreement i signed nothing I can leave when I want and she can't charge ME for feb as I won't be there.

6. She will retaliate threaten revenue.

7. She could contact my place of employment. Main concern is this,

Thanks all. Let's hope this works....

She isn't entitled to charge you for cleaning unless she can can provide a receipt from a cleaning company.
    Don't bother explaining anything in a text, she doesn't deserve the explanation. As an owner occupier I think her behaviour is appalling.

Tell your HR dept/manager about her antics. Block her email from your work email.
    Do not take calls from her during working hours.

This isn't even about you having to grow a spine, this is a serious life lesson. You're going into a profession that comes across all manner of people, you have to be able to put your foot down and stand by your principles. I know this as I've been there. Try dealing with celtic tiger 'do you not know who I am' types while they are trying to get you to break all your procedures so they can move masses of money and property around. Just because someone is older/more senior/influential etc does not mean they are honest or trustworthy. You have to make a decision that protects you, whether that be personal or professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

1. Grow a back bone
    2. I have to do a deep clean of the room tomorrow and ensuite which my LL will inspect to ensure its up to standard. She's advised that she will request 30 euro for a cleaner if not done to her standard
    4. Bank transfer on Friday when I get paid transferring rent and bills (as advised by the moderators and various other lovely helpful people deduct the deposit which makes me extremely nervous) transfer in total 550 + 100 bills - 250 deposit so 400 euro

5. Friday send a text advising what I have paid to her advise her that keeping my deposit is Unfair the room is perfect I have no lease agreement i signed nothing I can leave when I want and she can't charge ME for feb as I won't be there.

If she does anything under 6 and 7 report her to Revenue and DSP. She will have to answer to both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

1. Grow a back bone

She can threaten to charge you for all the cleaners in the world but as a licensee you were basically a guest and as long as you leave the room clean and tidy there is nothing she can do.

Your friend who still lives there is a big girl and can look after herself so don't allow this bully to use that threat against you.

I would be contacting revenue and the social welfare anyway but best wait till you move out, that will also give her something else to be doing instead of trying to contact your place of work.

As for her contacting your place of work, just tell them that she is unhinged and that is the main reason you have moved out. They should not entertain her and neither should you. Have you notified HR of your change of address?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

If she does anything under 6 and 7 report her to Revenue and DSP. She will have to answer to both.

Report her anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Report her anyway.

Exactly! I'm sick of hearing about people and their self awarded "entitlements"!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Powerfairy

Ok thanks Everyone, I am doing the big clean tonight, and moving out tomorrow, Then paying her Friday,
    She is currently following me around the house any time I am there, this morning when I got up for work she was in the kitchen & starts to talk rent again (Abnormal behaviour this woman is unemployed and does not get up before 11)
    Last night when I Got in from college at 10 she came down to the kitchen again, so she's trying to intimidate me big style. She has reiterated that what I am doing as consequences, the no notice etc, and she has no choice but to keep my deposit etc,. She has herself convinced I am completely out of order. which is the worst as in my nature I am very honest and was willing to let her keep the deposit I even offered like a COMPLETE FOOL To give her an additional 100 euro when she was freaking out yesterday that she would be tenantless and said I owed to 19th of Feb ,(A month as of yesterday as that's when she started to advertise) and the 250 deposit wouldn't cover it and leaves her exposed so she could of got 350 out of me ( I am embarrassed that I even offered that)
    so life lesson learned. Cop the hell on, Move out asap & pay rent minus the deposit.

Thanks a mill to everyone.

Powerfairy I'm appalled at her behaviour and the sheer audacity of her actions. She is receiving 1150 euro before bills from the two of you (I'm assuming the rent is the same), you are paying her management fees and a portion of the bills.
    To put this in perspective, I rent out the spare room in my apartment to a girl, she pays me 450 euro a month (fixed amount inclusive of bills). That doesn't include the property tax, the water charges, my management fees, tv licence or any of my insurance for the property as they are not the responsibility of the lodger.

I really hope revenue audit her when you report her antics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I live in D3, could give ye a hand moving if needed, she probably won't cause any scenes if someone else is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,959 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Is there a site that shows the legal difference between a lisencee and a tenant? If you can find something to print out and give to her, it might soften her cough or at least distract her from harassing you around the apt.

Stick to the plan OP. You have right on your side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Unfortunately the only thing people like that understand is being told where to get off in no uncertain terms.

Actually OP I'm going to admonish you a bit; if you say you're going to do something, do it; if you're not going to do it don't say it. It's one thing to agree to something patently unreasonable take advice and tell her you've reconsidered but don't promise an extra hundred then not follow through, that's not fair to anyone.

It's difficult learning to be assertive (and a real skill to do it politely) but well worth the effort.

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »
    I live in D3, could give ye a hand moving if needed, she probably won't cause any scenes if someone else is there.

Thanks Rasta totally appreciate the kind offer, I have my friend coming tomorrow to dismantle the desk and he is a man so thankfully he will be able for her if she freaks out, which I don't think she will do. She told me not to leave until Saturday which is a ploy to try and get more money from me. & Tackle me as I will have paid Friday,

Because I pay in arrears I felt I owed her something hence my soft approach.

Thanks Guys, The_morrigan I really appreciate your advice as you are a owner occupier, so understand completely the other side of the fence, From your point of view being the "landlord" you can see she is being unfair and your knowledge esp in relation to the rent a room relief has been so beneficial. I cant thank you enough.

powerfairy, that is what we are here for. The regulars here have a vast array of knowledge.

good luck and do not take any crap from her.

Unfortunately the only thing people like that understand is being told where to get off in no uncertain terms.

Actually OP I'm going to admonish you a bit; if you say you're going to do something, do it; if you're not going to do it don't say it. It's one thing to agree to something patently unreasonable take advice and tell her you've reconsidered but don't promise an extra hundred then not follow through, that's not fair to anyone.

It's difficult learning to be assertive (and a real skill to do it politely) but well worth the effort.

Thanks Mark Anthony, I completely understand your opinion of me. I Am a soft touch, and I agree 100% as to what you are saying, It is a skill I should have learned by now at the age of 27. Stick to your word essentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

OP been reading this and can sympathise because it is tough when you're dealing with someone who seems to be as strong a personality as this person & as convinced in her own head as to what she is entitled to from you.

I can't see her ringing your place of work so don't worry about this too much. Although if you are on good terms with your manager, might be worth sharing this concern with them. Having trained with one of the other big four accountancy firms, they do not give a damn what you do in your personal life, as long as it doesn't result in a court action (& they get dragged into it) & you pass your exams! Oh & you don't get completely hammered on a work night out. :)

I do think it's a good idea to have someone with you when you move out. And also take pictures of your room as you're going so that should she try to pull anything, you have photographic evidence. If she threatens revenue, threaten it back & send her the information on licensees versus tenants.

Considering the stress she's causing you when you have so much else going on, I wouldn't bother trying to help her find another licensee. That's her issue, not yours at all. Mark her emails as spam when they start coming in & they'll automatically end up in that folder. Don't even reply to them.

Good luck and I hope that things with your dad go ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

I will pull out the revenue card only if it goes that far big believer in its nice to be nice

I know you are only starting out in the profession and still have to pass your exams and all, but thats incredibly naive view to take. Op you need to toughen up, if you want to be a successful accountant and survive working in that profession, yes its nice to be nice and have a pleasant manner but you also need to assertive, confident, and be able stand your ground on issues otherwise people will walk all over you. Get out of there as soon as possible and don't advertise the room in your place of work because then somebody else could get shafted by her. Its up to her to sort out the next tenant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

groovyg wrote: »
    I know you are only starting out in the profession and still have to pass your exams and all, but thats incredibly naive view to take. Op you need to toughen up, if you want to be a successful accountant and survive working in that profession, yes its nice to be nice and have a pleasant manner but you also need to assertive, confident, and be able stand your ground on issues otherwise people will walk all over you. Get out of there as soon as possible and don't advertise the room in your place of work because then somebody else could get shafted by her. Its up to her to sort out the next tenant.

OP I agree with this entirely. Plus, on the revenue front, you're kind of in a position where you HAVE to report her to Revenue. You're a trainee accountant working for a big 4 firm for crying out loud. You can't just let that slide.

Move out, take pictures, then transfer rent minus deposit and send her an email outlining the legal obligations with regards rent-a-room notice periods, attach the photos, note that no damage has been done and the room has been left as you found it and as such, you're forwarding on the rent and any bills for January (for which you ARE liable) minus what remains of the deposit (as there is no cause for its retention). Say that you're revoking your gesture of goodwill of offering to pay an extra sum. You offered that in goodwill because you wanted to maintain a good relationship, but her behaviour of harrassing you since you made that offer means that all goodwill is gone and you're under no obligation to pay her anything more than you owe, which has been transferred to her bank account.

When that's done...

Shop her to revenue.

Move on and forget her, don't help her replace you. If anyone asks if your room is now free say "well, yeah, but honestly it's free for a reason..." Don't screw a colleague over by linking them up with her!

OP I agree with this entirely. Plus, on the revenue front, you're kind of in a position where you HAVE to report her to Revenue. You're a trainee accountant working for a big 4 firm for crying out loud. You can't just let that slide.

Move out, take pictures, then transfer rent minus deposit and send her an email outlining the legal obligations with regards rent-a-room notice periods, attach the photos, note that no damage has been done and the room has been left as you found it and as such, you're forwarding on the rent and any bills for January (for which you ARE liable) minus what remains of the deposit (as there is no cause for its retention). Say that you're revoking your gesture of goodwill of offering to pay an extra sum. You offered that in goodwill because you wanted to maintain a good relationship, but her behaviour of harrassing you since you made that offer means that all goodwill is gone and you're under no obligation to pay her anything more than you owe, which has been transferred to her bank account.

When that's done...

Shop her to revenue.

Move on and forget her, don't help her replace you. If anyone asks if your room is now free say "well, yeah, but honestly it's free for a reason..." Don't screw a colleague over by linking them up with her!

Thanks scrimshanker super advice right there. I will follow It most definitely ESP Re the photographs.

Also I don't think I was clear in my initial posts. I am not in a Big 4, I am a CPA Trainee, so Big 4 Was not an option for me, I came to the party late deciding to pursue accountancy, I work for a small but excellent little firm well its 400+ employees so Medium firm in Dublin 3 in a business park close to where I live eek...

It is the Landlord who works for the BIG 4 (Not anymore she left a 70k+ salary to return to education to upskill further) She is very focused, driven, & educated so when I moved in I admired her, but now I see she takes no prisoners. My fear was if I ever was to get that far and work for PWC Then she would in some way be over me, or be an influential character in that organisation. I know they were sad to lose her last April when she left to return to Uni.

I have taken the notice off the internal intranet in work for the room, I need to print off all the information on the rent a room relief and how she should be paying tax on it as income & notice periods for licensees to have ready when she challenges me, No agreement No Feb rent. :) & I am keeping the deposit the room is immaculate

Okay I will let you all know on Thursday how It has unfolded. FINGERS CROSSED. XX

• Registered Users Posts: 28,667 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

OP, in terms of the advice given I can't really add to it except to reiterate that you shouldn't give a cent more than is actually owed to your landlord, and you should be looking for your deposit back in full if you've kept the room in good order.

But I'd echo the other advice you've been given as well - "it's nice to be nice" is all well and good, but there are times when you need to stand your ground and not take crap like your landlord has been dishing out either - especially in the career you're training for. You say she takes no prisoners, and from what you've posted it was working too until you asked for advice here... well in a way that's exactly what you'll need to do at times as well (albeit without the complete chancing and bullying/harassment she's been at).

Renting is (or should be) a professional business transaction where you pay for a service and expect a certain standard of accommodation AND behavior/responsibility from a landlord. In return for this you pay the rent on time, keep the place in order but that's it. It's a business and should be treated as such. While I accept that your landlord seems to be extremely hard to deal with, remember that you are PAYING her good money for your room too. Look at how you've been feeling the last few days.. you've been paying to be abused and stressed out!

If it were me, I'd tell her clearly when you're moving out and what she will be paid (with a breakdown if necessary). I'd also give her a copy of the laws around the rent-a-room scheme, her obligations and the taxation implications. I'd then refuse to discuss it any further with her and tell her she's more than welcome to take it up with the Authorities if she wishes - I certainly wouldn't be accepting calls and emails from her at work ... but from reading your last post it seems you're gonna do pretty much all this now anyway :)

Best of luck with the move, but do learn from this experience would be my advice and don't let yourself be walked on like this in the future.. either in renting, or in your career/life in general!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,959 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

If you're prepared to be bullied by her now because she might be your manager some day, what do you think will happen when she is your boss? You have already set the precedent that you will accept being bullied by her!

George McFly needs to lay Biff out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

I had a similar situation a few years ago. I gave 2 weeks notice but the landlord (who lived in the same house) demanded I pay extra months rent and tried to keep the deposit. I threatened to call the guards and eventually got it sorted.
    Turns out he was up to his ears in debt and could barely afford to pay the mortgage. He has since apologised to me for the way he acted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Thanks scrimshanker super advice right there. I will follow It most definitely ESP Re the photographs.

Also I don't think I was clear in my initial posts. I am not in a Big 4, I am a CPA Trainee, so Big 4 Was not an option for me, I came to the party late deciding to pursue accountancy, I work for a small but excellent little firm well its 400+ employees so Medium firm in Dublin 3 in a business park close to where I live eek...

It is the Landlord who works for the BIG 4 (Not anymore she left a 70k+ salary to return to education to upskill further) She is very focused, driven, & educated so when I moved in I admired her, but now I see she takes no prisoners. My fear was if I ever was to get that far and work for PWC Then she would in some way be over me, or be an influential character in that organisation. I know they were sad to lose her last April when she left to return to Uni.

Ah right - sorry didn't read it right. Then definitely should not be a problem I would think chatting to your manager in case she rings your work.

They have most likely forgotten her at this stage to be honest. Unless she was a partner. Even directors get forgotten pretty quickly once they leave. She might have been influential while she was there but it should not affect you should you go in there at all for an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Is this what she told you? If she was so damn good could she not have taken a leave of absence to do the MSc as opposed to quitting outright? or could she have done the MSc part-time while working? Something doesn't add up. She has gone from a well paid job to the dole queue and is using her tenants rent to supplement the lifestyle she was accustomed to

• Registered Users Posts: 25,680 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes, I'm also thinking that something doesn't add up here. Among other things, 70k doesn't sound like a salary was far enough up the food chain to worry about.

I'm not 100% convinced that you can know the LL is committing tax fraud. The rent-a-room 10k (rising to 12k) is *not* a maximum. It is simply a threshold, above which tax must be paid on the whole amount. But if the LL's income is relatively low, then the amount of tax to be paid is actually quite small (first 7.5k of non-earned income is tax free). So it's possible that she is tax-compliant.

Also, the LL may be committing welfare fraud - but again you cannot be certain without knowing the full details of her situation and the amount of debt that she has: as a LL, when I went through the means-testing process, they didn't even what to know what rental income I received, all that mattered was the capital value of the house, and the amount I owed. The rules are different for allowances - but you don't know whether she was on a benefit (eg Widows) or an allowance.

OP, I would focus on the immediate task of moving out, and being clear with the LL that there are no laws about notice-periods for licencees. (This is what you are in tenancy terms: The "rent-a-room" phrase only describes the tax side, not the tenancy one). Pay her only what you think is fair. Be polite, but extremely firm.

After that, if you think you have a professional responsibility to report possible tax-fraud, then by all means write a letter to Revenue. Make sure that is factual, and states no more than you actually know.

All the best for your move!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Thanks Mark Anthony, I completely understand your opinion of me. I Am a soft touch, and I agree 100% as to what you are saying, It is a skill I should have learned by now at the age of 27. Stick to your word essentially.

NO you are not! you are just learning in the same way that all of us are learning. I'm in my 40's and am still learning and most others older will tell you the same thing!

Your landlady may well have taken redundancy from her previous employer as all the larger accountancy firms were rationalising and reducing the numbers of senior and mid level managers over the last few years.

As stated she may now be in debt or have money worries but Whatever her current situation it is not your concern.

Your concern now is your job and training and exams and most important your father and family. I hope your situation improves with your father at home and that the new house is as good as the old one used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Wheelsonthebus

I'd look at it this way- she knows you're an accountant, that you work in the same city, that you will potentially work with people that know her, that ye could both end up working in the same firm, that you could tell others in this industry what she's trying to do to you. Yet she has absolutely no qualms about trying to rip you off and put you under this pressure. So why are you worried about the future if she clearly isn't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Powerfairy I'm appalled at her behaviour and the sheer audacity of her actions. She is receiving 1150 euro before bills from the two of you (I'm assuming the rent is the same), you are paying her management fees and a portion of the bills.
    To put this in perspective, I rent out the spare room in my apartment to a girl, she pays me 450 euro a month (fixed amount inclusive of bills). That doesn't include the property tax, the water charges, my management fees, tv licence or any of my insurance for the property as they are not the responsibility of the lodger.

I really hope revenue audit her when you report her antics.

Ive lived in let rooms in peoples homes and and let rooms out myself in the past.
    Whatever of the property tax which didnt exist and is the owners liability, insurance owners too but the lodger gets no benefit,
    tv licence and all bills have always been split in my experience, water too was never around but its foisted on us as a usage charge and not a tax so that I can see would be a shared expense for users.
    Not unreasonable for people to share tv licence and water costs.

Yes, I'm also thinking that something doesn't add up here. Among other things, 70k doesn't sound like a salary was far enough up the food chain to worry about.

I'm not 100% convinced that you can know the LL is committing tax fraud. The rent-a-room 10k (rising to 12k) is *not* a maximum. It is simply a threshold, above which tax must be paid on the whole amount. But if the LL's income is relatively low, then the amount of tax to be paid is actually quite small (first 7.5k of non-earned income is tax free). So it's possible that she is tax-compliant.

Also, the LL may be committing welfare fraud - but again you cannot be certain without knowing the full details of her situation and the amount of debt that she has: as a LL, when I went through the means-testing process, they didn't even what to know what rental income I received, all that mattered was the capital value of the house, and the amount I owed. The rules are different for allowances - but you don't know whether she was on a benefit (eg Widows) or an allowance.

OP, I would focus on the immediate task of moving out, and being clear with the LL that there are no laws about notice-periods for licencees. (This is what you are in tenancy terms: The "rent-a-room" phrase only describes the tax side, not the tenancy one). Pay her only what you think is fair. Be polite, but extremely firm.

After that, if you think you have a professional responsibility to report possible tax-fraud, then by all means write a letter to Revenue. Make sure that is factual, and states no more than you actually know.

All the best for your move!

Thank you Mrs OBumble I wondered the same as she has no income only our rent can she still collect social welfare. I think she can

On estimate, myself and my friend, pay her 1150 per month in rent (She charges my friend 600) and about 70 each on bills, and then that maintenance fee of 600 (combined 300x2) Annually she would collect an estimated 16k on us through rent and bills etc, so if the 7500 is tax free, she will have to pay tax to about 2k on unearned income under case v (I may not be right in this so correct me If I am wrong taxed at 25%...

So anyway what I am saying is I don't want to go down the route of threats to welfare or revenue etc as I could look like a fool (I am a trainee after all I am no tax expert) but I will if I have to. She is not an accountant but a project manager so she doesn't have an accountancy background.

I think Mrs OBumble is right as to maybe I should stick to the facts and the facts are legally she cannot hold my deposit or demand Feb rent. Notice periods are not agreed, in writing I am not a tenant per se. I can leave when I want and pay what is actually owed which is Jan Rent and bills.

I will take photographic evidence of the room to prove zero damage and move ASAP, Tonight and tomorrow. Then Friday pay what is owed and send her an email detailing why I am paying what I am paying.

She will FREAK OUT. I Know this. She is a powerful lady, so I was considering contacting threshold also, to maybe get a mediator if it comes to this.

Thanks guys. x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Thank you Mrs OBumble I wondered the same as she has no income only our rent can she still collect social welfare. I think she can

On estimate, myself and my friend, pay her 1150 per month in rent (She charges my friend 600) and about 70 each on bills, and then that maintenance fee of 600 (combined 300x2) Annually she would collect an estimated 16k on us through rent and bills etc, so if the 7500 is tax free, she will have to pay tax to about 2k on unearned income under case v (I may not be right in this so correct me If I am wrong taxed at 25%...

So anyway what I am saying is I don't want to go down the route of threats to welfare or revenue etc as I could look like a fool (I am a trainee after all I am no tax expert) but I will if I have to. She is not an accountant but a project manager so she doesn't have an accountancy background.

I think Mrs OBumble is right as to maybe I should stick to the facts and the facts are legally she cannot hold my deposit or demand Feb rent. Notice periods are not agreed, in writing I am not a tenant per se. I can leave when I want and pay what is actually owed which is Jan Rent and bills.

I will take photographic evidence of the room to prove zero damage and move ASAP, Tonight and tomorrow. Then Friday pay what is owed and send her an email detailing why I am paying what I am paying.

She will FREAK OUT. I Know this. She is a powerful lady, so I was considering contacting threshold also, to maybe get a mediator if it comes to this.

Thanks guys. x

You're a budding accountant?
    Its taxed completely over the current 12k limit

tax at 25%?

You dont live with your landlord, you are a lodger, grounds fees is highly unusual, you probably shouldnt have agreed to that, how big are the grounds?
    Also paying in arrears, messy I think.
    The usual notice is the payment period, that way if someone doesnt give notice they know their deposit is in jeopardy.

Getting in new tenants is her repsonsibility, lose the stress and just move on, clean the room, pay what you owe and just move on away from someone like this, as for karma, they will trip themselves up on their own.

cerastes wrote: »
    You're a budding accountant?
    Its taxed completely over the current 12k limit

tax at 25%?

Sorry I am thinking CT Tax @ 25%.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

I don't usually post here but the number of people who completely quit 70k per annum jobs to go back to college full time is VERY small. Also if she was valued so much by her previous employer they would have offered her more to stay. I think she might be adjusting the story slightly as she tells it!

On the balance of probabilities OP the chances of her ever being over you at work is very small.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement