Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold discussion 18th Jan onward - cold for at least 5 more days, some snow

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

00Z run has uppers of -3.6, 529 DAM and approx 6mm of precipitation over S. Dublin early hours of the morning.

http://www.meteopt.com/modelos/meteogramas/gfs.php?lat=53.27&lon=-6.19&lang=en&type=txt&units=m

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Was looking at short term models just now trying to make an argument why it could snow widely at low levels tonight instead of in northern (and northern central at that) areas as the models suggest. On current model predictions its a close run thing but everywhere south of, say, Mayo to Louth line, loses out on a few counts as we are the wrong side of uppers (-4's generally, need to be at least 2 degrees lower I'd say), thickness (534 generally, needs to be lower than 528 usually) and dew points (1 or 2 in most places, need to be 0 or less I'd have thought). Odds against so but lets see what the 6z charts say in a while. At the mo Wednesday looks a slightly better bet for most.

Having said all of that higher parts of the East and the inland northern areas are definitely looking good for some snow tonight as things stand.
    You should check the charts I posted earlier. The 850 hPa thickness chart is a better estimate of snow than the 500 hPa line by using the 130 hPa line though in this case I would say it restricts snow to higher ground.

Anyway the Euro4 and HIRLAM are the models to go for now? I can see the 00z graphics currently and for any general downward trend for dewpoints, precipitation is reduced. I wonder if any slightly more active blocking can be had than predicted, like the "warm" front around 4th Dec 2010. That was a narrow band of snow and sleet that made its way very slowly across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Latest BBC 24 graphics there presennted by Carol Kirkwood,based on Euro 4 makes this a high ground event only in Ulster and a snow to rain in connaught with some on the Wicklow mtns and the galtee's
    Probably a fair assessment
    Any guestimate on the snow line, WB? Hoping for 200m, but these things have been tending to be 250m plus in recent years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Any guestimate on the snow line, WB? Hoping for 200m, but these things have been tending to be 250m plus in recent years...
    If I was a betting man I'd say 250 mtrs+ Dublin area with that light precipitation now and projected wind direction
    I've clouded over here now and still no breeze
    Still 1c air dp -2
    Precipitation not due until late evening though so probably a good bit warmer every where by then if winds are S or SE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    Dublin mountains yesterday...-2 degrees at 11.00 and snow snow falling....lots of ice especially....

Is that at the gates to start the walk up to Kippure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

If I was a betting man I'd say 250 mtrs+ Dublin area with that light precipitation now and projected wind direction
    I've clouded over here now and still no breeze
    Still 1c air dp -2
    Precipitation not due until late evening though so probably a good bit warmer every where by then if winds are S or SE

still 0 here and dp of -1. surprised its still that cold here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

You should check the charts I posted earlier. The 850 hPa thickness chart is a better estimate of snow than the 500 hPa line by using the 130 hPa line though in this case I would say it restricts snow to higher ground.

Anyway the Euro4 and HIRLAM are the models to go for now? I can see the 00z graphics currently and for any general downward trend for dewpoints, precipitation is reduced. I wonder if any slightly more active blocking can be had than predicted, like the "warm" front around 4th Dec 2010. That was a narrow band of snow and sleet that made its way very slowly across the country.

Thanks. In terms of 6z charts, I thought that euro 4 was every 6 hours but am I wrong? Not updated yet anyway even if so....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

still 0 here and dp of -1. surprised its still that cold here.

On yr.no 0z it never has temps going above 2 degrees in Dublin area (3pm is the warmest time it shows). It is even colder either side of this time wise....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Frost still hasn't cleared here even in the sun, feels baltic to

On yr.no 0z it never has temps going above 2 degrees in Dublin area (3pm is the warmest time it shows). It is even colder either side of this time wise....

very cloudy here but i suppose the precipitation will be modified by the south/se breeze as was mentioned earlier.

• Advertisement

Is that at the gates to start the walk up to Kippure?

If it is,it's co Wicklow he's in there :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

If it is,it's co Wicklow he's in there :D

True...but the summit of Kippure is on the Dublin/Wicklow border...the snowier side being the Dublin side (no doubt). ;)

A lot of high level cloud here now with watery sunshine. -0.5c atm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Cloud rolling into from the west of Clare.
    The Frost in East Clare not moving at all at all.
    Think im frost but :-)

DOCARCH wrote: »
    True...but the summit of Kippure is on the Dublin/Wicklow border...the snowier side being the Dublin side (no doubt). ;)

A lot of high level cloud here now with watery sunshine. -0.5c atm.

Ah we've enough mountains, we're willing to share :D

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭The12thMan

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Think im frost but :-)

I know the feeling...sometimes I think I'm snow! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,068 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Air lingus on approach to knock "it's quite white around here", atc "yep and more snow on the way let's hope it won't be sticking "

Snow certain for knock

Www.liveatc.net just type EIKN in, quite with flights for the afternoon but this evenings 1900 arrival from Stansted could be interesting

• Advertisement

Further hazy sunshine in eastern areas, but frost will return there soon after dark. Cloudier elsewhere with outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow developing this afternoon and evening in much of Munster and Connacht. Highest temperatures only 1 to 4 degrees Celsius generally, but rising to between 5 and 7 degrees along the west coast eventually. Moderate, locally fresh, southeast to south winds in the west, winds light and variable elsewhere.

Met Eireann update seems to have possibility of snow in Munster for a while presumably away from west coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    Dublin Wicklow mountains yesterday
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Tralee Bay, very cold, grey sky, no wind. A very occasional snowflake falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

DP turning positive on the southwest coast.

pointrosee_uk.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Some light snow just after starting here in Murrisk, West Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Let the battle begin. It's been a long time since we had a victory

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Let the battle begin. It's been a long time since we had a victory

It won't be today either. A very isolated upland event in the offing. Light cold rain will be the majority experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Larbre34 wrote: »
    It won't be today either. A very isolated upland event in the offing. Light cold rain will be the majority experience.
    lar, they are saying today's blue Monday. So don't be making it worse. Let us believe!!, so no more negative comments. at least till after work . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mountains to the north of me veiled in grey....very slightly sleety rain sweeping in now.. South Kerry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

lar, they are saying today's blue Monday. So don't be making it worse. Let us believe!!, so no more negative comments. at least till after work . :)

Realistic rather than negative ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement