Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2015

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Struggling to understand the scale of that collapse there...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

RosyLily wrote: »
    Murray will be disappointed but he did play well in places, just couldn't keep it up. Considering his last Grand Slam final was Wimbledon 2013, it's been a good tournament for Andy.

He can definitely build on his game from here. I don't think Djokovic played a blinder today, it was Andy who contributed to his own demise. He is going to have to work on the inconsistencies in his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Nice little intro about Andy from Craig. Fifth Aussie for Djokovic, incredible.

Edit: Who's the guy that looks like he's gonna burst into tears??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

An interesting point was made on the BBC about Murray displaying his old negative traits from his pre Lendl days. I think Mauresmo has her work cut out for her.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

mzungu wrote: »
    An interesting point was made on the BBC about Murray displaying his old negative traits from his pre Lendl days. I think Mauresmo has her work cut out for her.

He allowed himself to get worked up at Novak's nonsense and didn't win another game after his "he always does this" rant. Silly stuff. He was going toe to toe with him until that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Mousewar wrote: »
    That's just not true. To take the most obvious example Federer has infinitely more talent, skill and technique than Nadal yet loses to him far more often than not. Federer's superior skill and technique are rendered virtually meaningless by Nadal's superior endurance (in the match as a whole and in individual points). When that's the case you know skill and technique are just bit players in the sport - much like cycling.

Skill and technique can at times be confused with flare and grace. Nadal has plenty of skills and technique, as well as brilliant feet and court coverage and stamina. Don't be making out (seems that you are) that the only way Nadal is superior is due to fitness and stamina.

What happened Andy? I left it at 1 set all and about 3 games each...

walshb wrote: »

What happened Andy? I left it at 1 set all and about 3 games each...

He allowed Djokovic's "injury" antics to annoy him. Said it himself in press after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭lazza14

Collapse ?

What collapse - Murray was lucky the 2nd set went to a tb - never mind winning it.

So he led by a break at 1-1 ... big deal, seems like you are listening to much to the Andrew Castle / Sue Barker bullshyte ..

lazza14 wrote: »
    Collapse ?

What collapse - Murray was lucky the 2nd set went to a tb - never mind winning it.

So he led by a break at 1-1 ... big deal, seems like you are listening to much to the Andrew Castle / Sue Barker bullshyte ..

How was he lucky to win the second set? Had a set point then dominated the tie break. Indeed During the tie break a stat flashed up showing they had won 83 points each at that stage, the match was very very close for two and a half sets, you don't know what you're talking about

lazza14 wrote: »
    Collapse ?

And going from winning a set and breaking for a 2-0 in third to winning 1/12 in the rest of the match is a dramatic collapse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

was watching this yesterday and thought it could go either way . Even at one point Murray leading with a break point and 7-6 6-7 3-3 and had actually won 5 more points in total compared to Djokovic. But as we know murray just crumbled right after that, netting the ball, hitting the ball long, poor second serve ( only 14 out of 41 points for him) and i thought he was ready to drop.

he did play very well up to that point, but i'm bothered about this 'playacting' nonsense as the reason that murray lost! what an utter crock! I play tennis myself and sometimes you get a cramp or have a niggling injury. What was Djokovic supposed to do if he did have an actual cramp? let murray win?? And suppose i believe the detractors, that djoko was playacting, it happened at the start of the 3rd start and murray went up 2-0. Djoko broke back and then murray played exceptionally well to bring it to 3-3 and even manage to get a break point. I just find this stupid argument that Djoko was "playacting" is utterly childish. Am i to believe that it was the reason that murray double-faulted in the 4th set, netted the ball , hit the ball long, served slower than maria sharapova because of the "playacting".
    and what about murray''s screeching, temper tantrums, ranting and raving at himself and djoko???? his attitude stinks, if i was playing him, i'd tell him to grow up or walk off the court as i would not tolerate such bad tempered unsportsmanlike behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

bada_bing wrote: »
    was watching this yesterday and thought it could go either way . Even at one point Murray leading with a break point and 7-6 6-7 3-3 and had actually won 5 more points in total compared to Djokovic. But as we know murray just crumbled right after that, netting the ball, hitting the ball long, poor second serve ( only 14 out of 41 points for him) and i thought he was ready to drop.

he did play very well up to that point, but i'm bothered about this 'playacting' nonsense as the reason that murray lost! what an utter crock! I play tennis myself and sometimes you get a cramp or have a niggling injury. What was Djokovic supposed to do if he did have an actual cramp? let murray win?? And suppose i believe the detractors, that djoko was playacting, it happened at the start of the 3rd start and murray went up 2-0. Djoko broke back and then murray played exceptionally well to bring it to 3-3 and even manage to get a break point. I just find this stupid argument that Djoko was "playacting" is utterly childish. Am i to believe that it was the reason that murray double-faulted in the 4th set, netted the ball , hit the ball long, served slower than maria sharapova because of the "playacting".
    and what about murray''s screeching, temper tantrums, ranting and raving at himself and djoko???? his attitude stinks, if i was playing him, i'd tell him to grow up or walk off the court as i would not tolerate such bad tempered unsportsmanlike behaviour
    Ah would you stop - Djokovic has been playacting and hamming himself up his entire career, this is nothing new. And it does have an effect but Murray is a professional and he knows Djokovic well enough by now to have just ignored it completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Mousewar wrote: »
    Ah would you stop - Djokovic has been playacting and hamming himself up his entire career, this is nothing new. And it does have an effect but Murray is a professional and he knows Djokovic well enough by now to have just ignored it completely.

Agreed, neither looked great Yesterday account of it, Novak as you said always does it when in bother, but Murray should have known better.

It was the equivalent of Makaraova throwing a strop about Maria time wasting the other day, yeah its annoying, but seriously surely you shouldn't be able to let it affect you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I was actually wondering last night if Murray thought Djoko was winding him up, with all the "injuries". I don't recall ND doing this as much or as "theatrically' before, Murray stopped doing it after he started with Lendl.

whiterebel wrote: »
    I was actually wondering last night if Murray thought Djoko was winding him up, with all the "injuries". I don't recall ND doing this as much or as "theatrically' before, Murray stopped doing it after he started with Lendl.

Djokovic has been doing it for years. Only happens when he's behind in a set. We should be thankful he's stopped retiring with blisters and other such nonsense.
    As everyone else, or nearly everyone else has said though the it's fairly weak stuff from Murray to let it bother him that much. All Djokovic needs is one point to turn the entire match around.

Advertisement