Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Dignity returns to the Australian open ... I can enjoy the rest of the torneo now..

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Went to bed after Berdych sealed the second set and was convinced that he'd still lose it. Delighted with the result! Obviously this is good for Andy, but there's no guarantee he'll beat Berdych.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I think this might be Andy's year. Berdych is playing well though, I can see it being a five setter.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Hoping Andy goes all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭CassieManson

mzungu wrote: »
    I think this might be Andy's year. Berdych is playing well though, I can see it being a five setter.

Yes it reminds me of the year he won Wimbledon. He had a difficult draw, having to beat both Nadal and Federer to get to the final but they both lost early on. Could be a good omen! Hope so, I would love to see Murray win another slam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Would love to see Murray win it too! What a great way to start the year...and shut up his critics!:p

On the women's side, I'd love Venus to win. She's played so well and I think she's a decent chance of winning. Always had a soft spot for a good comeback story.:)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Murray is playing well and I'd love to see him go all the way but people seem to be forgetting about the fact Djokovic is still there and has barely broken a sweat getting this far. Obviously Murray is capable of beating Djokovic but I'd still have to say he's the favourite. I'd love to see Murray or Berdych win it though.

Still hard to see past Serena for the women. She usually looses early or not at all at Slams.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

Murray vs Berdych will be very interesting seeing as they are both playing so well. I hope one of them goes on to win it.

On the other side, I can't see anyone stopping Djokovic reaching the final, so I hope whoever he meets if (when) he gets there doesn't just roll over!

WaterLily. wrote: »
    Murray vs Berdych will be very interesting seeing as they are both playing so well.

My only issue with Berdych beating Murray would be having to listen to idiots in the media blaming Mauresmo and giving all the credit for Berdych's win to Vallverdu.

^ That is an issue definitely with Vallverdu.To me though, Mauresmo has more than proved herself, Murray is definitely at his best or at least pretty close to it. I suppose there will always be idiots that can't get over the fact that he has a female coach but at the end of the day it seems to be working for him, so that's their problem!

I'll be interested to see if Nishikori will be able to do anything against Djokovic, I doubt it though. Wawrinka/Raonic should be a good match though :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Just watching Nadal/Berdych back again, and it seems like Nadal has added another couple of pulls, ticks, tugs to his routine. I'd say thats what tired him out. In fairness to TB, he played out of his skin, I don't remember him ever playing like that. I wonder is it down to change of coach, or fear of setting the new record.....

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

Nadal should shave the head and get rid of the fluorescent fame look.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

squadro wrote: »
    Nadal should shave the head and get rid of the fluorescent fame look.

The Nike gear is awful, mens and ladies. I see Andy Murray has changed from Adidas too. Makes sense now why the tennis gear was so cheap on the Adidas site after Christmas. First time I think I ever saw Berdych without the hat was today.

^ Andy Murray actually looked like he was wearing matching clothes the other day which is a miracle. Even when Adidas gave him what was supposed to be an outfit he looked like he'd just reached in the cupboard and grabbed whatever was handy.

No one puts on a better game face than the Williams sisters. I'm gonna kick your ass!!!

Ageing is a ****€.

I think the fluorescent colours Nike are using this year make the outfits look a little cheap. Usually their stuff is good but colours are a bit much imo.

Now would be the ideal time for Milos and Kei to step it up a notch and win their matches.....I can dream!:p

I'd be watching the matches if the flu wasn't knocking me out. After missing loads of the Aussie Open.:(

----

Just realised that Eurosport have been mixing up the semis! Either that or I've gone mad, I could have sworn last night they were saying it was Djokovic vs Nishikori and Wawrinka vs Raonic!! Mats Wilander definitely said the match to watch was Wawrinka/Raonic!

Doesn't matter now, Stan put away Nishikori. We'll see if Raonic can pull off a surprise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭CassieManson

RosyLily wrote: »
    I think the fluorescent colours Nike are using this year make the outfits look a little cheap. Usually their stuff is good but colours are a bit much imo.

Now would be the ideal time for Milos and Kei to step it up a notch and win their matches.....I can dream!:p

I'd be watching the matches if the flu wasn't knocking me out. After missing loads of the Aussie Open.:(

Yes I agree about the Nike gear. Rafa's shorts were horrible. Not suitable for a tennis match. I usually love all of the Nike gear.

^ Same! Nike's stuff is usually good. Hope they'll redeem themselves at the French Open!:)

I'm hoping Wawrinka-Djokovic will live up to the standards of their past 2 matches in Oz. We'd hardly be third time lucky in getting another good match?

Great win for Keys! Hopefully it's not just a one time thing. Anyone I've backed to win the women's title has fallen by the wayside (Halep & Venus) so I'm keeping my pick to myself now!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Nike are usually quite good but there have been some horrible outfits over the last two weeks. Dimitrov is probably the best dressed out of the men- he seems to get the best clothes and he knows what looks good together!

The quality and closeness of the women's matches stalled for a bit after the amazing Cibulkova-Azarenka match, which had some breathtaking rallies and shot-making. There were 76 winners and it was just such a high quality contest. Keys-Venus was enjoyable and I was hoping Venus would wrap it up (which she should have done) but fair play to Keys for a brilliant performance and showing so much composure and maturity to win it. The women's game is so exciting at the moment I think - the match-ups we're seeing so early in tournaments are really intriguing and there is genuine strength in depth and unpredictability which I feel is somewhat lacking on the men's side. It's so difficult to predict the final with so many top players and Slam winners in the women's game whereas the men's final is nearly always two of Novak/Rafa/Andy/Stan. Most of the women's 4th round matches were very intriguing.

I loved Nick Kyrgios' post-match press conference last night. Such a likeable guy and so honest, open and down to earth which is refreshing. Incredible atmosphere for his matches and his interaction with the crowd was fantastic- entertaining to watch and brilliant tennis. Always look forward to watching him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,016 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

****ing awful from Makarova so far, I stayed up for this ****e. :mad::(

How did Halep lose 6-0, 6-4 to Makarova? Was she drunk, a dare gone wrong? :confused:****ing hell.

I probably have slagged of Sharapova worse than most here, and some will say I am not giving her enough credit for this performance but this Makarova performance is absolutely painful to watch. She has been in a semi and quarter final before and is experienced so its very hard to muster any pity for her.

Maria? She has played well and done what she needs to do, but while she will be glad to get through without breaking a sweat its not exactly ideal preparation for Serena.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Yeah, it's not looking good is it? :D Particularly since Serena's already come through two tough three-setters. You never know though, Keys could throw a spanner in the works against Serena here.

Early days, but Keys 3-1 up in the first set, unlike Makarova zero fear or baggage. :)

Kim Sears is swearing up a storm here. It's hilarious.

• Advertisement

Too funny!! I've spent a bit too long trying to figure out what she's saying. Her and Andy are a good match!:pac:

Advertisement