Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

mzungu wrote: »
    That's whats great about the modern game IMO. Nothing quite like two players at the top of their game competing in long points. The game is all the better for it.

I can't stand it. Tennis matches used to be decided on something other than who can last the longest. Things like skill and technique were the main deciding factors rather than mere sideshows. Might as well be watching cycling now tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

These long rallies are a skill in itself, they are not just hitting the ball to eachother

shamrock55 wrote: »
    These long rallies are a skill in itself, they are not just hitting the ball to eachother
    And they were always a part of tennis. But now they're the entirety of the sport.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Mousewar wrote: »
    I can't stand it. Tennis matches used to be decided on something other than who can last the longest. Things like skill and technique were the main deciding factors rather than mere sideshows. Might as well be watching cycling now tbh.

Skill and technique are still massive factors in the modern game. Without that no point would last longer than five shots. I guess we have come a long way from 20 years ago during the era of the big servers, where it was suggested that to make points longer everybody should only get one serve. The game may change again in another couple of years, maybe points will get shorter again. For the time being I am enjoying this golden age of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

??? Skill and technique are the main deciding factors as well as top level fitness both mental and physical.
    I've watched tennis for 30 years and the men's game these days is amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Best of 5 matches really bring this discussion up. It's like they set out to play the full 5 sets whereas when it's best of 3 they really have to be on the ball 100% from the start and, in my opinion, you often get better matches at the non slam events.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I get a bit surprised everytime I see you commenting during a tennis grand slam thread as each and every post seems to be outlining your hatred/disinterest in the sport. Why do you keep watching?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

And Djokovic pulls it out of the bag again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

That was quite poor from Murray, he is just too inconsistent.

Would like to see Murray get an Aussie slam but after that set can't see him taking it. Maybe he will surprise me... Should have kept control of that set.

• Advertisement

??? Skill and technique are the main deciding factors.
    That's just not true. To take the most obvious example Federer has infinitely more talent, skill and technique than Nadal yet loses to him far more often than not. Federer's superior skill and technique are rendered virtually meaningless by Nadal's superior endurance (in the match as a whole and in individual points). When that's the case you know skill and technique are just bit players in the sport - much like cycling.

Pighead wrote: »
    I get a bit surprised everytime I see you commenting during a tennis grand slam thread as each and every post seems to be outlining your hatred/disinterest in the sport. Why do you keep watching?
    Soneone 's got to stand up for this once great sport. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Well that should be that. Murray looks beaten

That's just not true. To take the most obvious example Federer has infinitely more talent, skill and technique than Nadal yet loses to him far more often than not. Federer's superior skill and technique are rendered virtually meaningless by Nadal's superior endurance (in the match as a whole and in individual points). When that's the case you know skill and technique are just bit players in the sport - much like cycling.

Nadal is Federer's bogeyman. Its a psychological, rather than a physical issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

Lacking a bit of power in your game are you???

Hard to see Murray finding a way back now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Murray looks done now

Hard to see Murray finding a way back now.

To think the commentators were describing Djokovic as out on his feet just one set ago. As if they'd never seen him playact before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

It was looking good for Murray for a while....can't see him winning from here.

His run at the Aussie so far is like Lendl's at Wimbledon - reaching finals but can't win it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

There's a sullen, whiny element to Djoko's game with the "injuries" that isn't at all flattering. I see Murray's back to his old form of limping again too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

This is so disappointing from Andy, he only has himself to blame for falling apart like that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

whiterebel wrote: »
    There's a sullen, whiny element to Djoko's game with the "injuries" that isn't at all flattering. I see Murray's back to his old form of limping again too.

They both do it, regularly. Why commentators even react to their antics and then act surprised when they come out all guns blazing a few sets later is beyond me.

Shame to see the match end on a whimper rather than a bang.

They both do it, regularly. Why commentators even react to their antics and then act surprised when they come out all guns blazing a few sets later is beyond me.

I suppose its more to do with having something to talk about, even when they know full well its all part of the act.

Shame to see the match end on a whimper rather than a bang.

Definitely! Real anticlimax about it if Djokovic wins the set to love.

I don't think I'll ever understand grown adults fighting over someone's sweaty T-shirt. If he threw that at me I'd throw it back in his face.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

World number 1 showed why he is the number one there.
    Murray missed plenty of opportunities though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭lazza14

MD1990 wrote: »
    If it was an Irish tennis player RTE would be much worse. Of course BBC will be biased towards Murray & I do think he will win it too.

Yeeeaajhhhhh!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭lazza14

class act , and to end it with a bagel .. legend ..

• Advertisement

Murray will be disappointed but he did play well in places, just couldn't keep it up. Considering his last Grand Slam final was Wimbledon 2013, it's been a good tournament for Andy.

Advertisement