Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Projected quarter-finals:

Mens:
    Djokovic-Raonic
    Wawrinka-Nishikori
    Berdych-Nadal
    Murray-Federer

Womens:
    Serena-Wozniacki
    Kvitova-Radwanska
    Ivanovic-Halep
    Bouchard-Sharapova

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Delpo opens with Janowicz. That could be a serious hot mess.

Some potential matches:
    Delpo/Monfils R2
    Tomic/Gulbis R3
    Nadal/Rosol R3
    Goffin/Dimitrov R3
    Nishikori/Ferrer R4
    Gulbis/Berdych R4
    Murray/Dimitrov R4
    Federer/Kyrgios R4 (albeit unlikely)

Azarenka/Stephens R1, with the winner to play Woz/Townsend :pac: Amazing.
    Heather Watson opens with Pironkova, winner could play Cibulkova in R2. Not a terrible draw for Cibulkova, but I thing she'll get to R4 at the most.
    Easy draw for Petra, but she'll find a way to mess it up.

Some more potential matches:
    Venus/Krunic R2
    Serena/Svitolina R3
    Bouchard/Kuznetsova R3
    Wozniacki/Strycova R3
    Venus/Radwanska R4
    Ivanovic/Pliskova R4
    Serena/Jankovic or Muguruza R4

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Djokovic apparently cancelled his practice today and has called a press conference for Sunday afternoon Melbourne time. Was due to do his regular presser on Saturday but didn't. Might be nothing to it. We shall see.

^ Saw that too. Intriguing. Not that I'd wish injury on someone but it would make men's half much more interesting if Djokovic couldn't take part.

Day 1 OOP:
    Laver
    Halep vs. Knapp
    Ivanovic vs. Hradecka
    Nadal vs. Youzhny

Federer vs. Lu
    Sharapova vs. Martic

Court
    Gajdosova vs. Dulgheru
    Murray vs. Bhambri
    Kerber vs. Begu

Bouchard vs. Friedsam
    Kyrgios vs. Delbonis

Hisense
    Goerges vs. Bencic
    Lisicki vs. Mladenovic
    Tomic vs. Kamke
    Groth vs. Krajinovic

Panic over. They're now saying he just postponed his Saturday presser and has a practice booked after his Sunday presser.

• Advertisement

Rumours abound that despite playing Sydney this week, Delpo won't be able to play the Australian Open. Apparently he felt severe pain in practice and abandoned it after 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Rumours abound that despite playing Sydney this week, Delpo won't be able to play the Australian Open. Apparently he felt severe pain in practice and abandoned it after 20 minutes.

If in any bother, he shouldn't play. His draw is brutal so its not worth it, still got plenty time of the year left to make an impact.

I'm starting to wonder if he'll end up retiring prematurely

I'm starting to wonder if he'll end up retiring prematurely

Its not a long shot sadly. He is 26 which is youngish, but man so many injuries. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ConM96

Delpo has called for an impromptu interview scheduled to happen in the next 30 mins so I guess we will know more then. Really unfortunate if he has to pull out but it was always risky returning when he admitted he still felt pain.

Hope Laura robaon doesn't Rush back as quick.

• Advertisement

He's been out for 10 months before Sydney, I know he had surgeries but if you can't get through more than 3 matches without suffering well. ... It doesn't look good.

Delpo is OUT of the Aussie Open. Can only hope that he manages to make a recovery but it isn't looking very good:(

He's been out for 10 months before Sydney, I know he had surgeries but if you can't get through more than 3 matches without suffering well. ... It doesn't look good.

Agreed, it was either to early, which means he and/or his medical stuff should know better or he may be broke. Lets not forget his opponents, Stakhovsky a journeyman who had injury concerns as well, an insanely out of form Fognini and Kukushin who while no mug isn't exactly Djokovic. :(

He says he's thinking of the long term by withdrawing but it's very hard to see where he goes from here. As I said, he hasn't played for 10 months, how much more time can he take off?

He says he's thinking of the long term by withdrawing but it's very hard to see where he goes from here. As I said, he hasn't played for 10 months, how much more time can he take off?

The longer he leaves it the harder he will find it to come back as he will basically have zero ranking points and unless he can pull out some big wins with his SR when he does make a full return I'm afraid that will be the end of Delpo

Oh dear, Ivanovic in trouble against Hradecka.

Ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Oh dear, Ivanovic in trouble against Hradecka.

Kerber and Lisicki also gone.

I will have to watch the Australian Open with my sunglasses on. Some of the clothes the players are wearing especially the Nike stuff is very bright. :D

Floppybits wrote: »
    Kerber and Lisicki also gone.

Christ. I wonder does she regret playing all those late night matches in Sydney now. Anyway, Kerber going out really clears the path for Bouchard.

• Advertisement

Speaking of that, Bouchard can now go through to the QF's without facing a seed! Garcia is looming in the 3rd round though, big opportunity for her also.

Tomic's draw isn't looking too bad, Kohlschreiber next, potentially Kokkinakis in the 3rd round, both players he's beaten in the last two weeks.

Also, Li Na has confirmed her pregnancy! :)

Watched most of the Townsend-Wozniacki match last night. Taylor has got a lot of potential, and she sure can crush a forehand. However, at the risk of sounding like an asshole, I'm dubious as to just how far she can progress given her very obvious weight issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Alba Frere

I will have to watch the Australian Open with my sunglasses on. Some of the clothes the players are wearing especially the Nike stuff is very bright. :D

Yeah I'm loving Nadal's look lol. I've backed him at 9s. I know he's been injured but I was surprised he wasn't shorter. Looking good value now after his 1st round win. Of course long way to go yet but it was promising.

Watched most of the Townsend-Wozniacki match last night. Taylor has got a lot of potential, and she sure can crush a forehand. However, at the risk of sounding like an asshole, I'm dubious as to just how far she can progress given her very obvious weight issue.

Yeah I feel like a tool slagging of a young girls weight as well, but sadly to go the top she will need to drop a few pounds. :(

I don't even understand how she can be overweight tbh, I mean you'd think surely by virtue of all the training she must do it'd be impossible?

Delpo underwent more surgery today which "should" prevent the pain he was feeling. According to him he will begin rehabilitation in two week. Another lengthy sideline beckons I'm afraid.

Also hope heather Watsons illness isn't too serious. She was feeling the same symptoms as when she was diagnosed with glandular fever but it's extremely rare to contact this twice so hopefully it's just something minor.

I saw something that said Delpo was hoping to be back by the US hard courts which is disappointing.

On Watson, there's a story on BBC Sport that basically says it was that time of the month. Weird thing to write a story about but it's good news if it means she's not sick again.

Alba Frere wrote: »
    Yeah I'm loving Nadal's look lol. I've backed him at 9s. I know he's been injured but I was surprised he wasn't shorter. Looking good value now after his 1st round win. Of course long way to go yet but it was promising.

I have a feeling that good value is going to be slipping away now. Nadal's outfit is the best of the Nike ones.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I have a feeling that good value is going to be slipping away now. Nadal's outfit is the best of the Nike ones.

Some sportsmanship shown by Tim Smyczek, in fairness to him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

It's tournaments like these that Nadal wins ... in trouble ... fakes an injury , wins a match he should've lost ... boom he wins the whole tournament.

congrats to the guy who put money on him at 9-1 ...

hope it was at least €100

Advertisement