Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Expanse (Amazon) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Damn. Really hope this gets picked up elsewhere.

There is still so much material to mine from the books. As much I've enjoyed the books up to Babylon's Ashes, which I started ages ago and need to get back to, I prefer the show's execution of the material.

But I guess the hard maths of ratings to production spend is the issue here. Many of the reasons why I love it are, I expect, what would put off a lot of non-sci-fi fans. It's dense and fast-paced, too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You'd have to imagine its chances are high; it wouldn't be at the forefront of viral chatter, but has still amassed a lot of goodwill a d support from its audience.

I'd be a little surprised if Netflix didn't pick this up - especially given Alcon produced it without any finance from ScyFy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

I will be crushed if this doesn't get picked up somewhere else. Having read the article I understand the reasoning and it would seem more suited to a platform like Netflix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Not surprising. Huge production cost, fairly low ratings and a poor rights deal for Syfy made it pretty inevitable, surprised it even got to S3.

It's absolutely the best thing since BSG though, so I hope it gets picked up by the likes of Netflix.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Would be great if hey picked it up and beefed up he production values to be on a par with Lost in Space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Netflix pushed it pretty hard when they had it (or at least it was pushed hard towards my account - which would have a history of a lot of sci-fi / dystopian stuff) so you'd hope they'd take over as primary series runner?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,258 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

You can almost rely on SciFi to drop good shows at this rate.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Would be great if hey picked it up and beefed up he production values to be on a par with Lost in Space.

I would actually say the production costs are considerably higher in The Expanse (and that it's a much higher quality show even aesthetically anyway).

It's been reported in the past that it costs up to $7m per episode. It's already a very expensive show to make and it looks it.

If anything the production costs may have to drop for a possible 4th season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Don't know if anyone here hasn't seen it yet, but there's currently a petition trying to get Amazon to pick it up (Netflix are apparently not interested). It's around 60k already. https://www.change.org/p/amazon-or-netflix-please-buy-the-rights-to-the-expanse-savetheexpanse

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Very surprised Netflix aren't interested - if true. Given how desperate they come across for 'viral' shows (and how underwhelming other sci-fi material like Altered Carbon has been), you'd think they'd snatch at the readymade fanbase, critical accolades and goodwill present.

• Advertisement

Apparently they're not according to some show insider. I'd much prefer Netflix, mostly because the Prime interface is crap. My partner recently watched Lost in Space, and while she liked it I thought it was complete drivel. The Expanse would fit in far better with their existing sci-fi content, and actually has quite a large story to draw on for a few more seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,417 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Netflix have backed syfy's newer show Nightflyers over this so doubt they will save it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,338 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

SyFy are reconsidering after seeing the outpour of support according to Redit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

After S2 I wouldn't have been bothered all that much if it wasn't renewed, because it was such a disappointment for me compared to S1. But damn, so far S3 is superb. Back to form in a big way. It'd be a massive shame for it not to continue.

It would be great if they were, after the most recent episode they're setting the stage for some awesome stuff in season 4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Amos has so many great one-liners. Another amazing episide!

If ScyFy really didn't hadn't been financing this show, it baffles that they declined the agreement with the production company in the first place

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The production company are the odd ones unless it was a case they had already went around and no one would pick them up for worldwide simultaneous release. The most damaging thing to this shows ratings are the fact that in this day and age, if people don't have access on the bigger platforms, they get access via other means.

Most fans of the show will have seen it long before it officially hits these shores, making it look like a ratings bomb.

After season 1 showed success, that was when to approach others, not now in moment of desperation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭Talisman

Am I right in thinking that the latest episode wrapped up the storylines of the second book?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Talisman wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that the latest episode wrapped up the storylines of the second book?

More or less, they didn't have
    the reappearance of Miller

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭Talisman

I guess that the introduction of that entity would have taken away from Amos's "WTF is that?" moment.

There's a few loose ends in terms of moving characters on: Avasarala, Bobbie, Jules-Pierre Mao, Prax etc.

They might fit the next book into the remainder of the season because there are only a few plot lines if I remember correctly.

Book spoiler ain't cool :o

Book spoiler ain't cool :o

Not to point out the obvious but we were mentioning things that happened in book 2 and haven't happened on the show yet, and I used a spoiler tag??

Not to point out the obvious but we were mentioning things that happened in book 2 and haven't happened on the show yet, and I used a spoiler tag??

I figured it was about the latest episode since we're in "Television (General) > The Expanse (SyFy / Netflix) [** Spoilers **]"

Hmm ok I probably should have specified Book 2 spoiler so apologies for that, the thing referred to should happen soon on the show though so hopefully the spoiler isn't too big. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

"I am that guy."

Saw it coming a mile away, but it still satisfied!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

corwill wrote: »
    "I am that guy."

Saw it coming a mile away, but it still satisfied!

Ditto, haven't read the books , that episode was excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 19,011 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I've heard nothing but good things about this show, despite never even knowing that it existed until a few weeks ago.

And just as I was about to start watching it, it gets cancelled. rolleyes.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14 vader ed

Tony EH wrote: »
    I've heard nothing but good things about this show, despite never even knowing that it existed until a few weeks ago.

Still worth watching even if it doesn't find a new home. Best sci-fi on TV in years.

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »

Watch it anyway, it's excellent and the books are also excellent so you will not miss out on the full story anyway.

Advertisement