Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Expanse (Amazon) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭CiaranW

Mixed between a London and South African accent!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I don't care TBH I want to have her babies. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Squaredude wrote: »
    Am I going mad or is Naomi's accent all over the place?

Na, Na, Na!!. She just talk like that around the Belters because it’s them dialect yahhh!

Sorry :)

I'm guessing Miller's riddle of "check your corners" led Holden to the ring because rings don't have corners?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭abcabc123123

This show has gotten so, so good. The last ten to fifteen minutes of the episode before last were unbelievable. Have watch them about a dozen times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

This show has gotten so, so good. The last ten to fifteen minutes of the episode before last were unbelievable. Have watch them about a dozen times!

The pacing reminds me of the books, get the world-building and exposition out of the way and then a rollercoaster from there on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

I veer from loving the sense of otherness the belter accent and Slang engenders to finding it really forced and cringey. Drummers speech did nothing for me.

Also does anyone else think that given Naomi is already on her way back to the Roci, that her whole 2/3? Stint on the Behemoth was all a bit pointless ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I veer from loving the sense of otherness the belter accent and Slang engenders to finding it really forced and cringey. Drummers speech did nothing for me.

I thought Drummer's speech almost worked, but only almost. I found the boot stamping took away from it, and Cara Gee gave it too much welly. Think I'll go back and watch the ep again over breakfast.

I agree re Belter creole, it's not entirely convincing in the books, either. Jared Harris is the only one to have properly pulled it off in the show, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Is it me or has the quality of this show dropped off a cliff these last few episodes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Pelvis wrote: »
    Is it me or has the quality of this show dropped off a cliff these last few episodes?

Have you seen this weeks? Did you not see what happened to that marine?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Have you seen this weeks? Did you not see what happened to that marine?

I did, it was the only thing of note in the whole episode.

There's too little Alex/Amos and too much of that godawful reverend woman, Julie's sister and Drummer.

Pelvis wrote: »
    I did, it was the only thing of note in the whole episode.

There's too little Alex/Amos and too much of that godawful reverend woman, Julie's sister and Drummer.

Have you read the books?

Did Holden just witness millions of years and alternate realities in a matter of seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Thought that episode was pretty great - a bit too much religion to my liking (haven't read the books) but otherwise very strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Tempted to pick up the books to tide me over to the next season. Are they worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Squaredude wrote:
    Tempted to pick up the books to tide me over to the next season. Are they worth it?

I think so, I got them all just before the start of season three and devoured them in a few weeks. I actually think they added to my enjoyment of the series. I know the general direction, but I'm finding the changes they've made more interesting than frustrating. They also really improve my understanding of the characters motivations.

I read the books after season 2! They're close enough with the show but nice to see the changes! They have got the ring and all spot on!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Talisman

They are definitely worth reading. They are written from the perspective of the main characters, for example the first book alternates between the view points of Holden and Miller.

Some of the plot lines are different but the changes they made to bring the books to the screen have really worked well.

Wasn't mad on that episode. I was waiting to find out what Holden saw and didn't get any of it. I don't fully understand the motivation of Julie Mao's sister. She wants to kill Holden to spite her sister and impress her father?

I've ordered the first book :pac:

• Advertisement

SPIN THE DRUM!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Definite drop off in pace from last week... not quite a filler episode, but definitely a place-setting episode for the two-hour finale next week!

Wasn't mad on that episode. I was waiting to find out what Holden saw and didn't get any of it.
    I think they purposely did that to convey how overwhelmed Holden was by the experience. He's not sure what he experienced so neither is the show's audience.
    I don't fully understand the motivation of Julie Mao's sister. She wants to kill Holden to spite her sister and impress her father?
    It's more clear in the books - Julie was the eldest sister and Clarissa was trying to prove herself worthy to her father.

In the tv show Jules-Pierre Mao was the richest and most powerful man in the solar system. After the events at Io, Chrisjen Avasarala used her role at the UN to dismantle his empire and the fallout destroyed the family.

Clarissa's motivation should be made clear in the next episode:
    Clarissa Mao holds James Holden accountable because it was his system wide broadcasts in the first book/season that created the whole mess. Holden sparked the war with Mars so he should be held to account for the millions of people that died. It was his actions which ultimately led to the demise of her father - this is the motivation for the faked footage of Holden claiming the Ring for the OPA. She wanted him to feel hunted and humiliated before she killed him because of what happened to her family and to her father in particular.

Definite drop off in pace from last week... not quite a filler episode, but definitely a place-setting episode for the two-hour finale next week!
    They squeezed some incredible information into the episode - it wasn't all action, but if that's what you are expecting you've got the wrong show.

Because it was almost cancelled I wonder if they'll finish out book 3 in the series finalie next week or if they'll have next seasons first half being the second half of the book.

Because it was almost cancelled I wonder if they'll finish out book 3 in the series finalie next week or if they'll have next seasons first half being the second half of the book.

I’m sure it was shot long before talks of a cancellation were even considered

They hacked up the plot lines from book 3 and compressed it into the second half of this season of the show - that's why the pacing of some of the episodes isn't the same.

In the context of the plot lines from the book, the only major one that remains is for Holden to reveal the purpose of the Ring and how the ships can all safely escape. No doubt they'll crank up the tension to drag it out over two episodes or maybe they'll go so far as to give a taster from the next book.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Very, very impressed with how they have concluded that. The pace definitely dropped with the "reboot" after ring entry but they have managed to ratchet it right back up and fire us on a whole new course.

So is there six more books of material to work with for future seasons?

• Advertisement

So is there six more books of material to work with for future seasons?
    The TV series is already 3 books into the journey (Leviathan Wakes, Caliban's War, & Abaddon's Gate) but the book authors have been churning out a book a year so there is plenty of more material.

#1 - Leviathan Wakes (2011)
    #2 - Caliban's War (2012)
    #3 - Abaddon's Gate (2013)
    #4 - Cibola Burn (2014)
    #5 - Nemesis Games (2015)
    #6 - Babylon's Ashes (2016)
    #7 - Persepolis Rising (2017)
    #8 - Tiamat's Wrath (Due for publication in December 2018)

Advertisement