Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Expanse (Amazon) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Talisman wrote: »
    The TV series is already 3 books into the journey (Leviathan Wakes, Caliban's War, & Abaddon's Gate) but the book authors have been churning out a book a year so there is plenty of more material.

#1 - Leviathan Wakes (2011)
    #2 - Caliban's War (2012)
    #3 - Abaddon's Gate (2013)
    #4 - Cibola Burn (2014)
    #5 - Nemesis Games (2015)
    #6 - Babylon's Ashes (2016)
    #7 - Persepolis Rising (2017)
    #8 - Tiamat's Wrath (Due for publication in December 2018)
    And a final 9th book the following year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Was watching current episodes and noticed some scenes looked out of sequence. Checked reddit and supposedly some uploads have scenes in wrong order. If the reporter shows at 20:51 then the upload is out of order

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheExpanse/comments/8ukco3/warning_if_you_are_about_to_watch_the_expanse/?st=JIYWRPVO&sh=c40f5d7a

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Sarn

Was watching current episodes and noticed some scenes looked out of sequence. Checked reddit and supposedly some uploads have scenes in wrong order. If the reporter shows at 20:51 then the upload is out of order

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheExpanse/comments/8ukco3/warning_if_you_are_about_to_watch_the_expanse/?st=JIYWRPVO&sh=c40f5d7a

I thought that when I was watching it which is why I came here. It seems a large chunk was skipped in the version I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

is de belter captain still walking around with that injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Always a sign of good TV when 1 hour 40 mins feels like nothing. Great finale and so glad the show is moving to Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah I was about 10 mins into this mistake and had to download another version

Always a sign of good TV when 1 hour 40 mins feels like nothing. Great finale and so glad the show is moving to Amazon.

Yeah I was surprised when it ended.

I wasn't mad on the final episode. I'm gonna put that down to my horrendous hangover. I didn't like how the two belter captains were suddenly enemies. Felt a little contrived. I liked how the factions were coming together then they were suddenly at arms again. I'll have to watch it again with a clearer head. Strange to think we're only half way through the story. The ring really felt like a climax.

Yeah I was surprised when it ended.

I wasn't mad on the final episode. I'm gonna put that down to my horrendous hangover. I didn't like how the two belter captains were suddenly enemies. Felt a little contrived. I liked how the factions were coming together then they were suddenly at arms again. I'll have to watch it again with a clearer head. Strange to think we're only half way through the story. The ring really felt like a climax.
    They were never not enemies until they were stuck together - even then they understood each other, but I never felt they were pals.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

So, is this show over now?

Or over until someone buys it?

Did it have a logical end? Cos I might start watching it now. If it ends on a cliffhager, I mightn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

It was picked up by Amazon last month, so there's more on the way, but I'm not sure when season 4 will be out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Even if there wasn’t a 4th season, it’s well worth watching. Not a cliffhanger ending really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

I’ve enjoyed this show over Westworld and Legion tbh. This season has been fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Talisman

Tony EH wrote: »
    So, is this show over now?

Or over until someone buys it?

Did it have a logical end? Cos I might start watching it now. If it ends on a cliffhager, I mightn't bother.
    The third season concluded book 3 of the series - it has never done a cliff hanger but that may yet change when Amazon produce the next series.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Only started watching this show 2 weeks ago (been mentally avoiding SyFy since they started airing wrestling and Asylum movies), glad I did, great show, in my timeline, Shed just died, and James Holden's been playing cowboy pirate since... :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Loved it and off to get the books next. It was a pretty decent ending as well if they hadn't been picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Ronanc1

They're 5.99 in Chapters on Parnell street at the mo, picked up 4-6 having read 1-3 a couple of years ago. Good thing as well I heard online there are only to be 9 books and I'm pretty sure they're into number 8 at this stage so no waiting around ala 'A Song Of Ice and Fire'. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Savage, will spin in before my holidays, cheers for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Just got started on book 1, really enjoying it. I like having the faces and voices from the show to put to the characters. I'm tempted to rewatch season 1 when done with the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Only started this just over a week ago
    having thought S2 was a bit slow , wow they turned it around
    I think S3 is best yet , loved every minute of it ,but in particular the run up to the midway break. I cannot wait for S4

torn between getting the books now to get more detail and ruining S4 and beyond for myself .

Although I heard there is a book on the origins of Amos , probably going to have to at least read that.

455973.png

First look at season 4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

That looks like a badly rendered 3D game.

--

Spoiler free

Been reading the books and I've made a startling discovery!

In the books the sentence goes along the lines of
    something something something to a starless region of space

You know what else is in the starless region of space?
    Them!

James Holden = Commander Shepard
    *mic drop*

:pac:

That looks like a badly rendered 3D game.

It's just the concept art to get an idea of sets. They wouldn't put too much effort into it

Although I heard there is a book on the origins of Amos , probably going to have to at least read that.
    There are a few short stories and mini novels which are prequels to the books.

Drive - the story of the invention of the Epstein drive

The Churn - the back story of Amos in Baltimore

The Butcher of Anderson Station - the back story of Fred Johnson

I think somebody who has watched the tv series but hasn't read the books would get more from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Been reading the books and I've made a startling discovery!

In the books the sentence goes along the lines of

You know what else is in the starless region of space?
    Them!

James Holden = Commander Shepard
    *mic drop*

:pac:

I've thought it's had a little bit of that.
    The protomolocule had a bit of the Homeworld: Cataclysm about it as well.

The main thing in the last episode was that
    they killed off that absolute ****ing bellened of a belter who's been pissing about making a nuisance of himself since season 1. I've seldom hated so inconsequential a charcter. I think yer man just has the most punchable of faces.

Best sci fi show I've seen, possibly ever. Maybe BSG was on a par, but it completely went off the deep end towards the end which rather ruined the whole thing in retrospect.
    I did like the pure lads in slumming it in space angle and the inter-planetary war. It's really diverged hugely from the way it semeed to be going a the start. It's gone a bit open ended with intragalactic travel having been discovered. I suppose I'm just going to have to read the books because bugger waiting a year for the next series.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Another post where I have to start with a no spoiler request :P

I'm about to start Season 2 on Netflix and I know Amazon have saved the show from cancellation by ordering Season 4.

Does this mean Season 3 will streaming on Prime video here, rather than Netflix?

Is basically each season covering one novel?

Season 2 and the first half of season 3 cover the material in the second book.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Another post where I have to start with a no spoiler request :P

I'm about to start Season 2 on Netflix and I know Amazon have saved the show from cancellation by ordering Season 4.

Does this mean Season 3 will streaming on Prime video here, rather than Netflix?

Netflix was due to get Season 3 late this year but Prime in the US are already showing it (for $30) So hard to say if the Netflix deal is cancelled.

I think it’s more like 1.5 novels per series. Some events and characters are changed to suit the TV format.

Tenger wrote: »
    Netflix was due to get Season 3 late this year but Prime in the US are already showing it (for $30) So hard to say if the Netflix deal is cancelled.

I think it’s more like 1.5 novels per series. Some events and characters are changed to suit the TV format.
    I don't think it's on Netflix in North America at all. SyFy had the first run and Amazon took second; the new deal with Amazon only gives them first-run in North America (it might even be limited to US, but I'm not positive on that). As it stands, Netflix still has the second-run rights in most other jurisdictions... as it stands they still have these rights, but it's hard to see how Amazon will not also want the first-run rights in countries which have Prime Video.

I don't think it's on Netflix in North America at all. SyFy had the first run and Amazon took second; the new deal with Amazon only gives them first-run in North America (it might even be limited to US, but I'm not positive on that). As it stands, Netflix still has the second-run rights in most other jurisdictions... as it stands they still have these rights, but it's hard to see how Amazon will not also want the first-run rights in countries which have Prime Video.
    Are you sure about that? I haven't seen any details announced just some speculation in an Arstechnica article.

The Expanse has officially been saved (30 May 2018)
    According to Deadline, talks for Amazon to secure the rights took some time in part because of the complexities of international OTT rights; Netflix still retains streaming rights outside the United States. It's unclear at this time how that will play out, but we can at least be sure that The Expanse will become an Amazon Original series on Prime video in the United States, beginning with the fourth season.

• Advertisement

Talisman wrote: »
    Are you sure about that? I haven't seen any details announced just some speculation in an Arstechnica article.

The Expanse has officially been saved (30 May 2018)
    That article is saying the same thing I'm saying, I'm just adding that there is going to be no first-run broadcaster in the US. I'm sure of that.

US - Amazon (first run), potentially broadcaster (second-run) *I'd say that's unlikely in all honesty though*
    Canada - I don't think we know, but my pure speculation on how these deals normally work would be that Space keeps their first run and Amazon will want second-run OTT (but this will be part of the negotiation with Netflix, which leads me to...)
    ROW - No change at present, Netflix retains OTT second-run rights... however, this will all be part of the negotiation for the next season - if I were to guess what the deal would look like, I'd guess there will be no first-run broadcasters and Amazon will want OTT first-run where they offer Prime with Netflix taking (and paying for) the rest.

Advertisement