Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Expanse (Amazon) [** Spoilers **]

Options
1353637383941»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

I don't know if it was ever made clear they were Martians or Earthers who were caught there when the Martians took over.

Being a producer is also a way to get paid more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Fairly sure they were led by Martian separists.

Season 5 Stuff:

Alex was dealing with Martians to try get info on their relationship with Marco Inaros, where he learned about the Barkeith ship which was likely trying to join Duarte etc before the Ring Entities did their thing.

I'm on Season Two of a rewatch. I know I'll still be annoyed about the new storylines opened and abandoned in Season 6, but it's a helluva ride to get there.

Season Two moving into Season Three is excellent. The conclusion on Eros was a big game changer. The stuff on Ganymede, The Admiral Nguyễn/Souther conflict, The Ring coming into existence "WTF".

The show is excellent. It's got a few "ah here" moments (space jump), but I love that it wasn't afraid to be intelligent, avoiding the tempation to try have a character land a joke in every sentence. The clashing of ideals between the factions and even between the Roci crew make these relationships so much more genuine, and the tension more palpable.

Currently having an argument with a mate - The Expanse vs Battlestar Galactica. I used to think it was 50/50, but the rewatch has been leaning towards The Expanse comfortably now.

To earlier comments; Marco Inaros is first referenced in third episode of the first season as a known associate of Naomi, when Holden is being quizzed on the Donnager.

Also in Season Two Naomi tells us she had a son and lost him. She tells Prax directly when they're looking for his daughter. She also says something to the team about knowing the danger of hoping to find someone that in all likelihood is lost. They just don't ask her for more info.

I thought the other posters was asking about the family specifically not the leaders of the Laconians.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Without going into specifics but spoilered just in case... the stuff with the family on the alien planet...

... is very much setup for the final story arc covered in the books. It is a self-contained story within the season, but its relevance to the overarching story is unclear without the context of the later books. I think it was included primarily as a strong, in-show hint that the producers do want to return and film that final arc at some stage. It's a strange and somewhat unsatisfying gamble IMO, but if they do revisit it it means the show will cohere together better than if they'd ignored it entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

Are the group on the alien planet a part of the faction of Martians that betrayed Mars and allied with Marco Anarus?

Yes, mostly they are that faction led by Admiral Duarte, although some would have been part of the first wave of civilian colonists to the new systems (see next answer)

I was certain they are until the funeral wake when the admiral told the little girl that the family was supposed to be going to Paris with their research data - and I don’t see how that is possible if they are Martians.

Cara's parents were researchers on Laconia before it was taken over by the Martian defectors. In season 4 we get a glimpse of the "gold rush" to the new systems that took place ofter the other rings opened, and this family would have been part of that initial move to those systems that were habitable.

As I understand it executive producers are at the top of the ladder with funding and a say in casting and creative decisions while producers oversee the day to day running of the project such as logistics, etc

It's not unusual in the world of TV for seasoned actors in succesful series to receive producer credits, and probably also signifying a pay increase. Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad) & John Hamm (Mad Men) are other examples. On a similar note the books authors were brought on from day one to assist in the writing room but both proved their worth to eventually become Executive Producers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Okay, that clears up my confusion about the colony. Also I thought the lecturer at the Mars military school was the leader of the Martian defectors.

I understand how actors, creators and writers become Executive Producers and that it means they have creative input but it is the three actors being listed as just Producers that has me confused.

For example, George Lucas is Executive Producer on all six STAR WARS movies. He is the guy who gets it supplies the funding, casting decisions, story, etc but Rick McCallum, Gary Kurtz, etc are the producers - Lucas is the boss but they are the managers who look after logistics, accommodation, schedules, etc.

Obviously there is another type of producer that I’m not aware of because Chatham, etc. are not managers looking after day to needs of cast and crew.

I would like to understand why they are Producers and not Executive Producers.

Sometimes you get producers in name only, almost always related to getting more money.

I’m sad to say that that I have reached the end of the series but very glad that I was wrong to be concerned that they could properly wrap up the storylines.

It was fantastic final two episodes and with last one in particular having so much going on in only 65 minutes.

I really hope they do get to come back together to tell that story.

How much of the book series did they adapt in the six seasons and how many more books left?

I cannot understand how the show was not “the latest big thing in streaming”.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Each season of the show corresponded to a single book ala Harry Potter; IIRC the name of the last episode of each season was that of the original book. So there are 3 books left to cover, whose focus swings explicitly towards events we saw kicking off on that planet. Obviously that'd enter spoiler territory but it all comes to a head. What I think is safe to say is that the story time jumps 30 years into he future ... ... so if we wait long enough those last 3 seasons could be filmed with the same cast but older 🥴

Pity it's bounced providers already, from Sci-Fi to Prime, because Apple TV would knock this out of the park. I know that they've changed Foundation but that was always a difficult adaptation but look at the scope and finish of that show.

Expanse given that level of protection value? Just imagine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Severance, Silo, Foundation… Apple are Sci fi masters…

Are Holden and the crew still the main characters?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yes. As with other books/seasons there are new ones; but the Rocinante are still all around, 30 years older and greyer. Lots of lament and worry over how much longer they have in their respective tanks.

Maybe the show isn’t actually cancelled and there is just going to be 30 year break until season 7

:P

If that happens, and I'm tuning into Season 7 through my NeuralLink+ GPT-powered Entertainment Service at age 72, I'll remember this post and laugh 🤣

Does that come from how many more times they can beat the odds or dying of old age?

One criticism I have of the series is we've been told a life expectancy on Earth of 120 isn't unrealistic but people still look as old as you would expect them to be nowadays. The Aveseralas and Jules-Pierre Mao for example.

I think that makes sense though: we are pushing back the upper ceilings of our lifespan even now... but I never get the sense that we can properly reverse the more physical, cosmetic aspects like greying hairs or wrinkles. It's diseases like cancers, Parkinson's or Alzheimer's that often do us in; and drugs might eventually cure those or make us less brittle - it can't stop a 100 year-old still looking like a centenarian.

I think we're already seeing increased lifespan decrease a lot of outward aging signs. Purely anecdotal but I'm pushing 40 and balding but quite a few people have thought i was in my late 20s in the last few months. I was talking to a woman a few months ago who I thought was 30, at most, and she mentioned her son is about to finish college, she was 41. A friend from Ukraine also asked me why we had no old people here because few people in their 70s here look old in his view. And lets not forget Liz Hurley also exists.

Getting old is just DNA damage. There will come a time where we would be able to maintain DNA. It's not close but it is definitely doable

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

not sure if people knew about this

Picking up after the final season of the acclaimed and beloved sci-fi series which is available to stream in its entirety on Amazon Prime, THE EXPANSE: DRAGON TOOTH will fill in the missing years between The Expanse: Babylon’s Ashes and The Expanse: Persepolis Rising, the secret history of fans favorite characters will be revealed for the very first time!

• Advertisement

There's also the video game coming out, for those looking for more immediate media. Hopefully that'll be a good one too, but the disappointment lingers that the sheer epic scale with which things ramped up won't be seen on screen 😕

And as it happens, a new trailer for the video game came out. I'll be honest I'm not the biggest fan of these TellTale, interactive novel style games but it'll we're even getting an adaptation. You never know: if it sells strongly enough it might make that Season 7 suddenly seem more attractive (a man can dream).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

fans of Wes Chatham can see him in the upcoming Ahsoka series...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Ooooh. His IMDB has his character name:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1434871/

Ahsoka   

Captain Enoch - 2023

Completed - TV Mini Series  

• Registered Users Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭Talisman

Also I thought the lecturer at the Mars military school was the leader of the Martian defectors.

In the books and novellas it's explained that Duarte took the title of Admiral in the secret navy purely to keep the command structure which the MCRN recruits were familiar with in place. After learning of his existence, Avarasala did her own research into his background and discovered that while in the MCRN academy wrote a paper outlining how Mars could defeat Earth without firing a single weapon. His brilliance inspired the like minded military officers to follow his leadership even though they may have outranked him within the MCRN command structure. In the tv series, the lecturer is an example of one such officer and in his position he was able to assist in the identification and recruitment of like minded former students to form the breakaway militia.

Wish I hadn’t seen that so I could be ”that’s Amos..” when he appears but no harm done.

It is funny how Amos went from being a character I didn’t like at all to being my favourite (along with Avaserala - who was my favour from the start).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

It's hard to tell it is him, to be honest. I hope he got something out of the role.

I miss the character Amos.... just perfect for Wes.

He'll always be Whiplash from the Unit to me

He didn’t get much to do but the character design is great stuff. He will be back in future Thrawn related projects and where he will get more action - Filoni doesn’t creates Phasmas.

It would be cool if he is someone that the SKELETON CREW go up against in an episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭nachouser

Season 4 is probably my favourite, but I started watching Season 1 again. I'd forgotten how good it really is. Ep 8 where they're in the hotel lobby waiting to find out which room Lionel Polanski is in. It slowly filling up with people and Amos being the only one aware of what is about to happen. Plus the funky lobby muzak playing in the background. The sound of him pulling down the zipper in his jacket to get to his gun. A really good set piece.

Advertisement