Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Expanse (Amazon) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I was a bit annoyed with the way season 2 ended. While the individual episodes were great, I thought it wasn't paced too well spending the first half finishing off Leviathan Wakes and then faffing about a bit too long setting up Caliban's War. I just realized that this season has 13 episodes and not 10! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,322 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

anyone notice Adam Savage on the exploration ship over the site?

good bit of CGI in the final episode and a decent end to this season

• Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is this following the story of the books exactly or is it deviating?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Thargor wrote: »
    Is this following the story of the books exactly or is it deviating?

I wouldn't say deviating, but more "remixing". Does a pretty solid job of it, in my opinion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Was absolutely loving this show right up until the end of episode 5 in Season 2. I sort of feel like I don't want to watch it now. Unbelievable episode but...yeah.

And I cannot stand that little Mars crew and their angry little commando girl. I've a feeling they will start to get more air time now too :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Loving this show , best thing on TV this year
    Have a total Man Crush on Amos

It will be a long long wait for season 3

All the chat about whether it is technologically advanced or not , I think its perfect and keeps the focus on the story line , characters and politics

I also loved
    When we saw the underbelly of Earth and how we still have extreme poverty and massive unemployment , it explained the drive of people to go to the belt and Mars

• Registered Users Posts: 60,367 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The stars are better off without us. #TheExpanse Season 2 arrives September 8th.

https://twitter.com/NetflixUK/status/898937623636357121

• Registered Users Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Best to block 9 hours of your life out and binge it.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Great news, and about bloody time for us poor schmos who waited til it turned up on the service.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Bumping to remind that Season 2 is on Netflix UK/IE from today; time to play catch-up on all those people here who didn't wait :D hehe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Netflix didn't even make a recap for Season 1, I guess because even they know the delay was ridiculous, whatever the reason. I'm not inclined to rewatch the whole season first.

I did actually wait, I'm not savvy about pirating these days.

A recap would have nothing to do with Netflix.

They air what SyFy give them.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭postsnthing

It's amazing, binged season 2 over the weekend, effects are phenomenal. Think it could be the best sci-fi show, ever... The long wait until season 3 is going to suck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's amazing, binged season 2 over the weekend, effects are phenomenal. Think it could be the best sci-fi show, ever... The long wait until season 3 is going to suck.

It's the best thing since Battlestar Galactica and it was sorely needed! I think a lot of us perhaps didn't realise just how badly until The Expanse actually came along....

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,164 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Three episodes in and I'm really enjoying it. Big step up on season 1 I think.

Yeah. I loved Season 1 but sometimes it stuttered in finding its groove. Season 2 is on a totally different scale & comes off like a show with a confident swagger. The happiest change so far is a very minor thing: I don't think it's a spoiler to reveal that Avarasala swears; still nothing like in the books, but they definitely took that onboard and give her the potty tongue sorely lacking from last year.

Been a while since I read Leviathan Wakes though so a bit spotty on just how faithful the adaptation is continuing to be, but from what I recall they've done a good job growing & elaborating on what were pretty 2 dimensional villains in the novels; I don't recall
    Cortazar, the Protogen scientist
    but he's a super creepy, effective addition to the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Pfft... season 2 is so Spring 2017 :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It is better paced and clear than season 1 but it is also missing the big system view of season one, with it being very focused on a few characters and tighter storylines. better for casual viewers.

Overall though, I don't think it is better than season one, some of the acting/dialogue has gone downhill, but the effects and pacing are on form.

Definitely worth a good watch and one of the better sci fi series on tv for a long while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

A recap would have nothing to do with Netflix.

They air what SyFy give them.

Netflix would be allowed to create their own recaps, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

My bad if there is already a thread...

This is well worth a watch. Its a very slow burn into it, it is starting to get good hope it keeps on getting better (half way into 2nd series). I'd give it 3.5/5 which only recently would of gotten 1.5
    one of the characters was killed off

To sum it up it is what life in our solar system may be like in 200 years time with colonising Mars and getting resources in the asteroid belt. The characters and story is a little weak when you first watch a few episodes. But there is a certain charm to the overall story which imo is worth watching to pass time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Caught up with this over the last week. Really enjoyed it. I was caught out and surprised with
    Miller dying, but it wrapped up his storyline nicely i suppose

Season 3 starts on April 3rd.

Wonder if the Netflix - ScyFy deal is sorted and we might get weekly episodes, which IIRC we were supposed to get last year. Still though, very excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

So the story has totally deviated from the books then?

So the story has totally deviated from the books then?

I've only read the first 3 books, stopping after Abaddon's Gate; it's been a while since I did, and it's hard to tell by the trailer about the upcoming season, but by and large they've kept to the books - barring a few tweaks here and there, such as Avarasala appearing much sooner than she did in the novels.

The third book does introduce a huge shift in the state of the solar system, and I'm curious to see when/if that happens in this third season. Supposedly the producers are going to approach Abaddon's Gate this year, so we'll see.

But that looks like
    the protomolecule has gone all Resident Evil? Were those hybrid things in the books?

But that looks like
    the protomolecule has gone all Resident Evil? Were those hybrid things in the books?

In short, yes; it looks to be a continuation from season 2, and the books, whereby:
    The Pierre-Mao corporation were using children in creating protomolecule hybrid soldiers.

Is your spoiler from the most recent book? I dont remember any of that, tbh I was just ploughing through the books towards the end, havent read the most recent one, they were starting to annoy me.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,164 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is your spoiler from the most recent book? I dont remember any of that, tbh I was just ploughing through the books towards the end, havent read the most recent one, they were starting to annoy me.

Those creatures are in the 2nd book, Bobby's platoon is slaughtered by one at the start from what I remember.

Advertisement