Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Expanse (Amazon) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's short, but when you consider the pace the season has moved already, 75 minutes is just about feature-length so "should" be enough to wrap things up (bar the Laconia stuff, as mentioned already)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,847 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's long enough when you consider that old TV "1 hour" episodes were only 45mins and most streaming shows including the expanse have copied that run time so 75 is an extra 30 mins and when you factor in that some of the usual 45 is recap and music then we practically have a whole extra episode worth.

Unless the whole half hour is taken up by "previously on the Expanse" going all the way back to the Anubis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Evade

The last episode of Farscape, before the mini series finale, had a few frames from every episode as its previously on. It worked pretty well.

I'm kinda ok with it ending where it's gonna end. I don't think the trajectory of the books from now on would really work on TV, unless they massively changed things. I like where the TV journey took me and I'm happy with the outcome in the books.

And I'll argue to the death that Season 4 is the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭Talisman

You've covered most of it there. His back story is covered in 'The Churn' novella, it's focused on the events in Baltimore in the days before he left Earth and explains how as an unregistered individual he made it out into the Belt. Due to his own childhood he looks out for vulnerable people, it's also the reason he has a soft spot for 'Chrissie'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

It feels like they're probably planting seeds for a potential sequel series down the road. If S6 was a longer season they'd have more leeway to indulge in this 'table setting' but in such a condensed season as this it feels like they're wasting valuable screen time on a plot line that might have no pay off.

Drummer has saved Ceres and Prax has provided the data that will save Earth - the humanitarian crises plot lines are essentially resolved.

There's only a few minutes required to wrap up the Cara and Xan segment, I expect that there will be a teaser regarding the future but the Laconia novella story will be resolved in less than 10 minutes.

Given that this season the creators haven't focused on the time required to travel the vast distances we are likely to see a jump to the redeployment of the combined fleets to engage the Free Navy and the capture of Medina station.

75 minutes is almost a double episode so they can resolve the final threads of this phase of the story with time to spare.

I fully expect Avarasala to die in the finale, it will give the creators a clean slate for any future projects because all of the political heavy weights will be out of the way. I don't think she'll stroke out, she's more likely to be taken out by the work of OPA operatives like Nico Sanjrani who Marco left behind on Ceres. Sanjrani has the look of a fully committed acolyte and is likely to go full postal when the arse gets ripped out of the Free Navy.

All the novellas finally come out in a real book in March under the name "Memory's Legion". Can't wait as they are the only stories I have yet to see

That's pretty cool that they are releasing them in print. Memory's Legion was supposed to be the title of the final novella but I see that they changed it to The Sins Of Our Fathers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Good video - and ye damn that fight was impressive - in and out fast and brutal. Didn't notice the details of the PDC cone shape area of effects there as well ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

About to take the plunge and watch Season 6…

Probably ended about as well as it could have. I was a bit disappointed about the solution to the final showdown but it had been hinted at.

I'll watch it again tomorrow when I'm not half asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Keep watching the credits until the end. The ring glows red and the Laconian ship looks like it's there. I don't know why they would bother with that if there aren't some plans to do the final three books, in some form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

So much for the episode reportedly being 75 minutes (it was only 60), but it was a satisfying conclusion, nonetheless.

Yeah, just at that moment the music goes all dramatic too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Like it could just be them leaving it open ended in anticipation of potential future seasons, but they dropped so many breadcrumbs throughout the episode I find it hard to imagine that there isn't some plan to move the show forward. I'll be disappointed if they don't, but I think they did a pretty great job wrapping up the six seasons as it is.

I really don't want this show to be over, knowing how much more there is of the material just there for the adapting

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Gah, so many posts!

I'm torn; part of me wants to jump straight into the last episode, the other wants to wait - 'cos once it's watched, that's it. Life is hard 😂

My internet connection was down this morning! 🤬

I don't want to watch it on the phone so I will have to find some quiet time later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Not a fan of holdens' plan at the end with the....

....switcharoo, the book is different but the end up at the same place kind of ( due to TV character changes) but the way the TV did it they added an extra step that makes it less realistic to succeed. Even if Avasarala didn't sink it, there's still Mars or any new politician at the first sign of trouble or disagreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

Well I was satisfied with that episode, I felt they stayed true to the book while leaving the door open for a return in the future to continue the story. We know the potential is there for that so it's an end rather than the end as far as I'm concerned, it just depends on who's willing to get the wallet out to fund future production.

Now on to book 9, i'd been holding off so that I'd have something to scratch that itch once the show wound up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Acosta

I really want to see Cara Gee in loads of things after this.

Her permanent scowl and look of disdain took a while to sit with me, but damn if Drummer/Cara Gee didn't kind become co-lead by sheer force of will. Wouldn't be surprised if she started popping up in VOD actioners, be it lead or as second banana.

Avarasala to James Holden:

You're such a f*cking optimist. It's a miracle you have lived this long.

Chrissie got the best line in the episode. 😂

And I'm delighted that the character survived for a potential future showdown with Laconia.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

Interesting list of names in the pods they launched, i recognised the ones from Aliens as they reported in but there were a lot more nods to other scifi when i watched it back afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Enjoyable finale. Some of the sfx I found was a bit dodgy and disappointed that drummers contribution to the fight was over so quickly. Felt rushed. Also still confused on whether Amos was into Peaches or Bobby or both. He's an enigma

He could be embracing the Belter way or the Mormon way

Straight away I noticed Hick,Hudson and Ripley (also now see Vasquez) when watching but wow that picture is class.

I see Star Trek (Will Riker), Mass Effect (Colonel Sheppard), Dune (Duncan Idaho), Star Gate (Jack O'Neil), Star Wars (Gen. Ackbar), Blade Runner (Richard Deckard), Terminator (Sarah Connor), Battlestar Galactica (Kara Thrace: Starbuck) and Starship Troopers (Johnny Rico)

• Advertisement

The Expanse game coming out is based around Drummer.

As for Cara Gee she reminds me of Kathryn Winnick in the sense that she should really just go for her characters amazing look in real life

Advertisement