Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Expanse (Amazon) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

amazon get the cash out and give us a Drummer movie… she is such a strong character …….

How do I play this expanse game ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Not out yet. It's one of those Telltale games like Walking Dead

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Talisman

I knew Bravo team were fodder when I saw the motley group from Aliens in the centre of the list of names.

There were a few names listed that I didn't know the references to.

ALPHA:

Bobby Draper - The Expanse

Gial Ackbar - Star Wars Return of the Jedi

Douglas Quaid - Total Recall

David Bowman - 2001 A Space Odyssey

Commander Shepard - Mass Effect video game

Amos Burton - The Expanse

Duncan Idaho - Dune

Alex Rogan - The Last Starfighter

Jason Nesmith - Galaxy Quest

Edward Buck - Halo video game

BRAVO:

K Garrity - ??

Ellen Ripley - Alien

Dwayne Hicks - Aliens

Joe Cooper - Interstellar

John Anderton - Minority Report

H Ochai - ??

Jenette Vasquez - Aliens

William Hudson - Aiens

Rick Deckard - Blade Runner

Jack O'Neil - Stargate

CHARLIE:

R Levine - ??

Lucky Starr (?) - Asimov books

Louise Banks - Arrival

Kevin Flynn - Tron

Roy Neary - Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Johnny Rico - Starship Troopers

Kara Thrace (Starbuck) - Battlestar Galactica

Sarah Connor - Terminator

Ryan Stone - Gravity

Will Riker - Star Trek The Next Generation

No Josh Whedon references which I found surprising, maybe they're not fans but Jayne Cobb and River Tam are exactly the kind of people you would want on such a mission.

Ochai and Levine are original characters who were named in the script because Bobbi talks to them and Garrity is a sci-fi writer according to the sfx team. Surprised too by the lack of Firefly as the two crews seem so similar at times

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

A bit underwhelmed with the finale but probably as good as they could make it under the circumstances. And there is the fact that it's always difficult for tv content to reach the level of depth that a good book has.

Overall all my favourite book characters were my favourite tv characters. Casting for this was brilliant. Avazarala, Miller, Drummer/Pa, Ashford, Bobby, Amos are all fantastic.

Which is huge. So I'm happy enough even though it didnt blow me away.

Plus it always feels different when watched in one go. Binged some series then waited for the next, binged that then waited for the next which I watched weekly. Throw in the book releases during that time so there is some disjointment in my experience and I will certainly rewatch it all again in one go.

The series is probably better than I give it credit for right now.

Also amazing to think that the best (if they actually do it) is yet to come.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm sure this has been noticed by lots of people, but I'm watching the last episode as we speak and had to pause and look at the hilarious screen of easter eggs and references in the strike team names on the Roci display.

Apologies, I see this has been posted already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I didn't notice while watching but that was cool ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I'm the same. Was happy enough. Decent wrap up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Loved the final episode, having read the books I knew what was coming, it was a little to short, over all, but what was there was amazing.

My god, but Shohreh Aghdashloo is magnificent, just... wow!

And, ffs, come on with season 7 already!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭Acosta

It was a fine last episode and I enjoyed it, but an hour wasn't long enough. It really needed to be a feature length episode. To be fair to the producers, it looks like they did their very best with the resources Amazon were willing to give them.

And thank you to the long term posters on this thread. I only give this a go when at a loose end during one of the lockdowns based on reading this thread. It was definitely worth the watch. Excellent show. I will hope for more. Maybe a few specials will come down the line, who knows..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,234 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

It cant be over.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

I'm really happy they went with Duarte fking Marco over. Would have hated if he had gotten a secret last minute mega ship.

Also Marco's speech at the end was great. It was clear he was demoralized himself and faking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

The writers/producers of the show must be fairly confident that they'll eventually get another season/show if they went so far as to film prologues for every episode that have no resolution (taking valuable time from an already shortened season!).

What was even more frustrating, was that the prologue stuff actually piqued my curiosity and I found quite a few of the scenes very affecting.

I feel like there is more expanse coming…. But how ? Amazon have cut the cord… it’s over ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I think regardless whether the production team thinks there is a chance for more or not they had to make the best of it. And make it work either way. And I think they achieved that.

If thats the real end its not a bad one and if it does continues at some point, better again. The storyline is still fully intact. And if it takes a couple of years to be picked up again that wont hurt either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Arguably, if it takes a few years for season 7 to happen, then that'd very appropriate. Not too many years mind you 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Finished the final book last week and now the final episode. Altogether great books and TV show.

Book spoilers

I do think the final few books will be hard to translate to a tv show with the time jump involved so probably good time to wrap it up. If I'm being honest the whole Laconia story didn't do much for me anyway, really jumped from semi-hard(sorry) sci-fi to straight up fantasy sci-fi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Very satisfying finale, pretty amazing job they managed to wrap up 6 seasons this with all loose ends tidied up and clean. I am going to read the last 3 books aha. Of course it could have been longer and less rushed on small amount of stuffs in S6, but overall everything feels like they are intended that way rather than forced to be cut down etc.

Yes, would love to see more on Drummer's fight but aye that side of battle served its purpose while giving Amos+Bobbi their last show time. Aye the railguns were actually scary lol. So they put up massive amount of death flags before the last fight - it is actually great tactic at least for me that I worry for all the characters lol - the episode went by so fast. Damn, not many shows left me feel content with sad+happy at the same time (last time it was Breaking Bad).

What a show. Bravo to these guys who truly made this 5/6-year project closed this way. And ye...hope we wont need to wait 30 years to see S7 lol.

As naomi+holden at the end said, lets take a break and enjoy the moment for now - from the massive overwhelmingly good review from the book fans over the years, this is truly an amazing project with amazing people+production etc.

Absolutely wouldn't know about the show if I wasnt a fan of AltshiftX youtuber - and ya watched ASX recap right after that, it was a very good friday evening aha:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,234 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Did They run out of money or were the special effects bit off the finale?

I enjoyed it overall, but there's totally another story to be told and I've a feeling it still might be.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Watched the final episode on Friday. Not a fan of the books and wasn't convinced about the show after season 1 but then really got into it. Tbh this season could have done with more time but overall it was ended well whilst leaving the door open for more. I hope Amazon rethink their support or someone else picks up a 7th season or they make some stand alone feature length films with the same cast. Cara Gee was the standout actor for me as Drummond.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well if that's all we're going to get, it was a solid, punchy finish, even if it was a little rushed (but such as it was always to be with only 6 episodes to do it). They definitely went out with a helluva firefight befitting a finale; while the small change with Filip surprised, slightly undercutting the emotional decision made by others. Particularly as no real time was given to the fallout between the battle's final bullet to the negotiations.

I'm still hoping all that Laconia stuff was produced, knowing there's something coming down the tracks. I refuse to believe the production was that over eager.

Overall? Best sci-fi series since the BSG reboot, hands down. It was quite the journey across 3 networks and one actual cancellation, but fair play to those in charge that they never compromised on the vision, direction or execution.

I thought they were as good as usual; the compositing during the dropship attack wasn't great, and I think it was cos of the bold colours of the ring space, making the joins more obvious than the usual blacks and dark shades of normal space.

There was a guy staring at some kind of ship in the sky looking really angry. Without spoiling the books, what was that all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

That ending was like a half tied bow on a present- it did it’s job just about but could’ve been better. I can’t believe there’s no more. Too much time on that story on Laconia planet to just do nothing with it, and peaches storyline…. Why even include that issue in the finale….. anyways, I’ll miss the expanse now it’s done, I really enjoyed it, but I do think the first season offered a lot more potential than the show delivered. Anyways time to find a new series to watch…..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭Evade

Not a book reader but I did accidentally read too far on a wiki. He's the leader of the Martians that traded MCRN ships to Marco and settled on a planet through a ring, Laconia. The thing in the sky is an alien factory, where the giant railguns were built.

• Advertisement

That was Duarte, we met him already as the leader or Laconia, while seen later refusing Marco's request for more ships later in that Episode. He wasn't not angry, he wa excited cos the the orbiting ship yards were waking up.

Post edited by pixelburp on

Advertisement