Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Expanse (Amazon) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭opus

I wondered about the zombie child that showed up on Laconia & then we never heard about again. A friend who's read the all the books gave me the same answer as above.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,633 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

There has been a lot of focus on why they showed that if they have no plans for more TV/movies but what took me a few days to realize is there was even more odd stuff.

The big one is why did they introduce Peaches terminal cancer and then not use it in any dramatic way. The other thing which maybe I am reading too much into it here but showing Bobbi starting to learn to take over from Alex seemed like it was set up for future shows.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's true: indeed there was a fake-out death n' all, when Peaches goes down to the reactor to fix a break. We cut away pretty abruptly, then see Naomi's concern when Peaches doesn't respond to comms. I was expecting her to be dead, a sacrifice for her new family etc. etc. - not least 'cos I couldn't immediately remember when she did kick the bucket.

It's all a bit of a muddle ain't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭Evade

I don't think it was cancer or if it was it'd be a bit of a question as to how could it be terminal since Holden and Miller were irradiated and ended up essentially fine apart from sterility.

I don't think Bobi's scene was hinting that she was a replacement for Alex just that she would now be a permanent Roci crewmember similar to the scene with Peaches earlier in the season.

It might be poison not cancer but either way it's caused by her implants which are causing something that it said will kill her. Holden has to take meds for the rest of his life which won't work on Peaches because she can't take out the implants.

I might have been reading too much into the Bobbi one. I also think not killing anyone in the last episode is weird unless you are holding out hope for more.

Ironically when they got cancelled the first time Cas Anvar was one of the main sources of energy behind the campaign to get it back

• Advertisement

It's complex endocrine collapse syndrome, I googled. I think she had said to Amos in season 5(?) that it was use of the implants that damages her so saving Bobi and the other few recent uses could be what put her in this state.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,953 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

A small spoiler for the main plotline of the next book in the series (book 7) for those who are interested

The story skips forward about 30 years. The Roci crew are all still together, only much older. Laconia reopens their gate and emerges as a new superpower to threaten the Earth-Mars coalition and the Transport Union (itself a superpower by this stage also)

All the Laconia scenes in Season 6 start to make sense. Cortazar, Duarte, the floating space platform, the proto molecule, the resurrection dogs, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Was the show cut to 6 episodes during filming or production? Might explain why a lot of stuff that went nowhere is in there.

Nah the stuff we are talking about needs a lot more than the 3 or 4 episodes that may have been cut.

That stuff is only really fleshed out in book 7, not the end of Book 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭Talisman

Amazon wanted 8 episodes in the final series but the producers reduced it to 6. The stuff that 'went nowhere' is setting the stage for the later material in the later books.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I really hope they make the bonus scenes available through their tv app, as I don't want to watch them on my small pc screen.

I could watch them on the Sky box version of the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Star Trek discovery renewed for another season despite the fact that it is literally just a bunch of skunks spraying each other in space……yet no more expanse …. Where is the justice ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

We had 6 excellent seasons; in fairness, it's not like The Expanse has been some once-off cult hit, or hasn't had the runway to adapt all of the "Belter" storyline from the book series. Bad shows get renewed all the time though, so wouldn't lose sleep over Discovery at this stage; it fooled me for 3 seasons and presumably it's doing good enough business for CBS/Paramount despite the negative feedback.

Popular has never equaled good in TV land so I have no doubt more people probably watch Discovery over The Expanse. It's probably a compliment that people don't watch it given the shte the do watch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I've only just got a chance to watch the last episode. Really enjoyed the series, but my overarching feeling is that I've left the books for too long (must be 3 or 4 years now).

Think the last one I listened to was 5 or 6. No idea who Duarte is or the whole story about the healing dogs.

For me, The Expanse is my favourite TV series since Star Trek the Next Generation. The books are the best I've read/listened to since The Magician and that Raymond E. Feist series of books.

I will no doubt rewatch and relisten to everything. Bravo to Ty Franck and Daniel Abraham, top class Science Fiction. And kudos to everyone else involved in both the books and visual shows. Please, please let there be more......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Cara Gee set to feature in Telltale's The Expanse game.

It looks like it will be set before the Cant etc.

For those unfamiliar, TellTale make kinda interactive story games. Often set in the universe of popular IPs, Walking Dead, Back To The Future, Game of Thrones, Batman.

There's a Youtube channel that summarises every chapter in each of the books. I read book 8 when it was released and needed a refresher for book 9.

Very handy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx7glhHPkyg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

I felt this last season's a bit of a let down compared to the others maybe thats just me, perhaps Should have binge watch the season instead of the weekly fix,

• Advertisement

Yeah was flagged before but good to get a reminder the show isn't the last we'll see of this world outside the written word. I'd love if there was a proper tactical space battle game, something that mimicked the more physics accurate battles; not sure how you'd make waiting for hours before torpedo's hit you "fun", but not impossible either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

The funny thing about this show is that it pops up in my mind from time to time - and then my youtube recommendation doesnt help lol.

I have the opening soundtrack in my daily playlist ha (i may add this violin cover), and then damn:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Finally watched the last episode after putting it off for 2 weeks 😔 can't believe that's the end of it, now have the read the last 2 books after putting them off for fear of being finished with this universe.

Just finished the last book. Now I'm gutted, that it's finished, for a 2nd time

Damnit, thought - hoped even - this might have been an update about a new season or some update.

Finished the last book myself the other week; a deeply bittersweet ending but was there ever going to be anything different?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

I’m on Season 2 so no spoilers please.

Is each episode of the web series One Ship meant to be watched with each episode with the corresponding number of season 6 ? And should they be watched before or after?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

I watched each one after the corresponding episode but, given that they were available at the same time as each episode released, before/after won't really make any difference. They flesh out some of the main characters and don't directly relate to the overall storyline.

I’ve only just started season 3 so no spoilers please.

I just have a question regarding the science and technology of the series.

In season 3 episode 2 during the rescue of the Razorback the loose tools fly around and disconnect Prax’s air hose and he immediately begins to suffer from loss of oxygen. How come Amos is able to breath when he disconnects his own oxygen supply help Prax ?

• Advertisement

The difference between diving underwater and being pulled, when you do it yourself you're prepared. Also tiniest spoiler for season 5

Amos tells a story about how he had to hold his breath for 3 or so minutes while still doing relatively strenuous activity.

Advertisement