Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Expanse (Amazon) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

I've only read the first book so don't know what you are talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Talisman

Then you have an amazing journey ahead of you if you decide to read the other books in the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

I must be alone in not enjoying the increased pace of this season, they have turned it into a war movie and removed most of the character development stuff.

The 'bonus vignettes' are nice character driven bits, but I would have preferred if they had found a way to bake them into the episode rather than tacking them on as random clips. if it informs the story development, make it part of the episode.

I can only assume there is a big payoff for the main story coming from the Laconia stuff, I will be pretty annoyed if not as it unfolds at about 1/5 the pace of the rest of the show at present.

It's still one of the most enjoyable things on TV at present, but I wish they had given it a bit more room to breath in Season 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

What it really needed was a longer season or just completely ignore the Laconia stuff as there is so much to wrap up. I find I am pretty immune or ignorant to pace issues in shows though and any time people are not happy with pacing I just havent noticed

Because they changed things for the tv adaptation (e.g. No Fred Johnson, Anderson Dawes or Michio Pa characters, not featuring events on Medina station), the focus of the series tightened and the creators chose to produce only 6 episodes instead of the 8 that were approved. When the political aspect of the Belter struggle is taken away, the military conflict and humanitarian crisis is what remains of the Babylon's Ashes book.

I think the inclusion of the 'Strange Dogs' novella storyline is their opportunity to take a possible spin-off series in a different direction and tell the story of the remaining novels from the perspective of Laconia. I hope that is why the tv audience have been introduced to the characters of Duarte, Cara and Xan now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Still can't believe that this is 'last' season. As an avid Sci-fi fans (well, just a lad who likes good movies/stories), this show is the best sci-fi show from past 2 decades.

S6 started off slow with Episode 1/2, and then bam episode 3 and 4 nail it so well that the details/moments in them are incredible (reminds me of the better seasons like 1/2/3) and we couldn't believe the episode was done when we were watching both of them.

Great moments for the plot when holden/naomi talked (set up by great fighting scene from previous episode, and damn i like the amos/holden talk scene, also making naomi less annoying - she singlehandedly ruined season 4/5 for me), holden/chrissa dining table talk, Bobby/Amos with Alex's music - all feels good for the Roci team - truly reminds me of the great team moments back in the early seasons.

Drummer scenes obviously great, damn we can't get enough of her; so glad that Michio stays aha. Filip acting is abit 'unsure' for me for all the struggles that have been thrown at him - him + Inaros can potentially make this season so epic if done right for the next 2 episodes.

oh god i can't believe we only have 2 more episodes to go :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I agree, a great show. I still have a bit of catching up to do. I think the first season of Foundation was the best Sci Fi I've seen in a long time, cant wait for season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Really enjoyed the Expanse.

Just started watching Foundation, very unique so might not appeal to all. But really amazingly done. Difficult material to bring to TV, but what I've watched thus far it (like the expanse) its an excellent adaptation. Read the books and at the time didn't love them. But it was decades ago. I'm up to 3 in the Expanse books. They are quite weighty volumes.

Now that you mentioned Jared Harris -

i cant believe they killed Anderson Dawes off screen :( I was hoping to see him more in S6.

Foundation: aye it is good production and all, i dont read the book/source but ye i think overall great production (the day/dawn/dusk brothers steal the story actually), but the writing/pacing could use more work. I bet Jared Harris couldn't join Expanse due to work conflict - prob Foundation lol.

Would loved to have seen him more but looking back with hindsight things turned out very well for both parties in the time since season 1 aired

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This is a total nonsequitur, but one of the small details of the world I've loved in The Expanse has been the little "grab and throw" gesture common in their tech - when you wanna move something to another screen. Just fiddling with something on my mobile and would dearly love to do just that; throw a browser window into the laptop I have in front of me.

It doesn't get praised enough among the other reasons to do so, but this show really took the time and effort to think through and establish the tech. and mundane world-building of this universe. A dozen other adaptations wouldn't have bothered - but this production took the time to carry through the books' attention to detail in thinking "how would life present itself, if we kept things grounded?".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I like how the rockets spin around so the thrust is facing forward to (I assume) slow down. I know zero about this stuff but how the actual ship spins on it's own axis I'd like to know.

Great show

2 weird things happened me yesterday.

While watching the Expanse I tried to "throw" the show from my phone to the TV instead of pressing the chrome button.

The second weirder one was when reading the Expanse and a name came up I couldn't remember so I put my finger on my paper book to try highlight and google search the name

There nothing to slow you down in space. You'll keep moving forever unless you apply the exact opposite force to the one that got you moving.

The biggest engine/rocket one you have is the one at the back, so you do a 180 so you can use the same biggest to slow you down.

They use smaller maneuvering jets to point/rotate in different direction, before they fire the main rocket.

The way physic works mostly properly is one of the great things about the show.

Weapons, missiles, guns also work in a mostly realistic way.

Same here. I find I flick when scrolling on my phone now.

If you haven't already done so take a peek at the bonus content for the series on the primevideo.com website. There is a mini series titled 'One Ship' that drops a new episode each week, they are each around 5 minutes long and have focused on different characters.

Episode 1 : Ankawala - Drummer

Episode 2 : Zenobia - Avasarala

Episode 3 : Win or Lose - Amos & Bobbie

Episode 4 : Night Watch - Clarissa

This content adds a bit of depth to the characters that is missing from the transition of the book to the tv series.

X-Ray -> Bonus Content while viewing the latest episode to access them.

Aye i was very pleased to see Naomi's cup floating and dropping on her hand in episode4 - see the show is so great on these details that it left strong impressions in me aha. Missus actually said that after watching The Expanse, it is hard to watch other 'sci-fi' show/movies lol.

That said, this show puts Alcon the production team on my radar for any show/movie in future.

Post edited by seraphimvc on

Alcon is also the production company behind the movie "Blade Runner 2049" and the new series "Blade Runner: Black Lotus" which I haven't watched yet.

Ah yes Alcon (my spelling aha) - ye actually just rewatched blade runner sequel recently (first time was at theatre), definitely amazing production/sets etc, Denis Ville directed well well and the movie did just ok on box office (basically bombed). I thought the pacing and plot could have been improved, shorter film and go easier on the bleek colour palette for casual viewers - I like it overall (visually stunning etc, good performance from actors, but doesn't like some characters and plot points), and obviously the sequel is nothing comparable to the original (which is basically a cult film itself also). I don't think i will rewatch this again in many years aha. And apparently ridley scott said some tv show is happening hmm.

• Advertisement

I thought the the Blade Runner sequel was excellent. I thought it moved the story on nicely and with same ideas and treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Relikk

As far as sequels go, BR2049 is one of the very best. It's a superb film.

Can't fault anything from this season so far. Another solid episode this week. Can't believe there's only one episode left. 🙁

This week was another faultless and powerful episode.

I have a sinking feeling that Avarasala is going to die in the finale. There have been a few hints that there is something up with her health and this week she delivered this gem of dialogue:

It's just a stimulant. This is no time to worry about the swim back.

In her 'One Ship' appearance she teared up when she told her grandaughter that she would share her salad with her when she got back to Earth. Either she's going soft or she doesn't believe she'll make it back.

She was always soft in regards to the family but ya if there is to be a big shock finale death I reckon she would be the one assuming they can write her back into the firing line.

I watched an old episode yesterday where her friend the Martian diplomat has killed himself cause she lost him his job. It's an amazing scene where she looks so sincere telling his husband how sorry she is only to flick a switch as soon as his backs turned and raid his office. Great character very well acted

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

Another thoroughly enjoyable episode, hard to believe this 6 year ride is almost over. At least the last episode will have a runtime of around 70mins.

Alcon Entertainment have certainly been ticking the right boxes as far as sci-fi productions are concerned. They have the rights to Arthur C. Clarke's Rendezvous With Rama and an adaptation is in the works, with Villeneuve behind the helm again. It's on my list of personal favourites so hopefully it'll be a successful collaboration.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If Denis Villeneuve wants to make all the sci-fi adaptations for the rest of his life, that's fine with me. Man just makes these worlds stand out in the best traditions of the genre.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Yeah absolutely loved BR2049 and Dune. Villeneuve is the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

"Great character very well acted"? Really? A small gripe in an otherwise fantastic show I know but the actress that plays Chrisjen Avasarala is terrible, couldn't act the egit and has a really annoying voice.

She's fantastic

• Advertisement

Shohreh Aghdashloo is just fabulous is the role.

Advertisement