Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Expanse (Amazon) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,635 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Thats the beginning of the plot of the last 3 books

• Registered Users Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I haven’t read any of the books but can I start the final 3 having watched the show and not be completely lost ?

You won't be completely lost but some characters particularly Drummer are nothing like the TV show.

TV show Drummer is mostly book Michio Pa mixed with book Drummer and book Baca

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This is one of those shows where the changes made for the adaptation have been relatively minor - or in some cases, improved upon the book; as was the case with Drummer. Michio Pa was one of those characters TBH that came and went, leaving no real impression (though maybe that was me), so when they simply rolled her into Drummer, no biggie. I think Ashford was also a composite character, but not 100% either?

Another small, but noteworthy change for the better, for instance, was relating to the fate of Fred Johnson:

In the books, he dies from a stroke while travelling in haste for a conference with anti-Marco OPA factions. He dies very much "off-screen", with Holden (of course) picking up the reigns of negotiation to form an alliance of OPA against Inaros. It was effective, but never felt it was due deference to such a large presence in the universe. The TV show made Marco much more of a threat by having his agents gun Johnson down in a very defiant, ballsy assassination attempt.

That left me wanting more which is handy because I've only read the first two books

• Advertisement

I liked Pa and the family but she isn't a patch on TV Drummer. I often wonder was the decision made to give her Baca and Michios story after it became apparent what a strong character she was.

As for the spoiler I liked the book way as it felt real but the TV show managed to give it to us another way

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was reading an interview in Forbes with Ms Aghdashloo, and she seems to believe that a TV movie is in the works, or at least is the suggestion for the final three parts of the saga.

I reckon three one hour episodes would do it, one per book, though there would be a lot left out.

"RS: If it does, and that opens the door to new seasons or maybe feature films, would you be interested in coming back and revisiting this character?

SA: Any time, if they give me a call and tell me they’d like to do another series or a movie. There are still the final three books and I think the idea is to turn it into a movie, like two and a half or three hours maybe. There are millions of people out there who would like to hear the rest of the saga."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's as much as a muchness, but what I think the TV approach gave was more agency and threat for Marco's cause. It immediately gave us stakes and a sense of just how false the Johnson OPA peace had been.

I wonder does making a movie change the funding model. Often in movies now you see it's a co-production between about 10 different companies and countries. Might be easier than doing it through Amazon or whoever

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭Evade

I restarted the series as something to have on in the background and I'm on Drummer's first appearance, Door & Corners season 2 episode 2. In the Amazon X-Ray she doesn't have a name just "Col. Johnson's Second in Command." Funny considering how important she became.

• Advertisement

I was rewatching all the important protomolecule episodes and had completely forget Miller existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭Evade

Ya but he seemed so integral a character and looking back now on the books and TV show its odd how little influence he had on anything

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

Well, apart from help divert Eros away from Earth...

Ya true. The episode where Eros get infected is really good and they few episodes after where you dont know whats going on

Detective Miller, oh wow. Yeah true enough I've forgotten he was ever such a major pillar of the story; and had always presumed the casting of Thomas Jane was the "famous" face used to launch the series in the first place. Was a bit disappointed with how the Eros calamity was presented myself: the major points were covered but the threat seemed much greater in the books, the "vomit zombies" a legitimate threat to the Roci crew - but perhaps beyond the budget at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,236 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

My favourite bit of the whole thing is still that scene with the the Agatha King ship and the mutiny within the Earth Navy and Martians watching it unfold.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

No one knew it at the time but we had the perfect "famous" face in Harris

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

I can watch S1-3 on repeat ahaha, Miller (Thomas Jane) was the main character to me for protomolecule story (i guess that would be expanse's origin part) - basically he is what i remember when i think of The Expanse ha (we binged S1-4 in one go). He directed 1 or few episodes in S4 iirc.

Thinking back S1-3, the main crew was ok, I thought other characters outside of the crew (even the villains) were carrying the show hard back then heh - they were building the characters and story and world setting anyhow while it was so enjoyable and refreshing to see all the details they put into this show.

After 6 seasons, my favourite characters would be:

(Miller no1 actually ha) Avasarala, Drummer, Amos, Alex, Holden, Ashford, Bobbie - and actually the preacher girl and the asian scientist stood out so much to me i remember (and of course actually Jared harris ha). The characters truly are alive in this show.

Drummer had fully won my heart by the end of the show… if feels like a break up/I got dumped….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Definitely the big surprise breakout character. Bobbi is the other big one, I liked her in the books but Adams does a brilliant job of making her tough attitude kinda funny too. (I might be a bit bias due to thinking a little with my reproductive organs with those two)

Interesting you rate Alex so highly in your list: for myself, it spoke to just how much of a non-entity he was that having to kill him off made no appreciable difference to the final season - beyond a few wistful comments. Even in the books I found he often had the least to do among all the protagonists, with his own personal arc a generic Family Drama one. I'm sorry the character is dead on the TV show mind you, he was charismatic, to be fair, with a good energy between himself and Amos.

I liked him but I agree he did seem more expendable or replaceable. I think his job was mostly to be the light relief character. A bit like a less annoying C3PO

ahah, i can fully understand that. Technically she is the miller of the 2nd part of the show (S4-6), she already has strong presence in S4 and then her character going through hell (growth) especially after fred johnson was killed. Honestly Belters faction was rather annoying in early seasons, Drummer kinda bring the balance to the show on all factions. Hell yeah a very critical character and damn I hope she will get some cool roles in TV/movies.

Well I think the expanse video game is about her… at least the trailer is…. If there is any more expanse she will be a big part

Yes yes fully agreed too that he is rather disposable aha. But ya I just like him being there, his interactions with the crew give me 'feels good team' warmy moments - these 'feels' actually felt genuine and in turn it helps to make the show 'real' to me. Ya technically he is kind of like a filler guy to the audience, i like that part ha.

Alex's arc (if there is one) is honestly worth the screen time as well (linking us to Mars), and those fighting moments while he piloting are some of the best in the show (well of course the battle scenes are mostly good to begin with ha).

And his death was actually beautiful - we were reminded on the high risk being in high G - this setting basically was non-existent since the beginning and then bam, oh sh!t we forgot about this super dangerous science huh, reminding that all the flights are actually at high stakes.

The actual book Drummer is head of the transport union in the last books so for the first time in ages Drummer will be following the same arc in both mediums

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭Niska

SA: Any time, if they give me a call and tell me they’d like to do another series or a movie. There are still the final three books and I think the idea is to turn it into a movie, like two and a half or three hours maybe. There are millions of people out there who would like to hear the rest of the saga."

I can't be the only one who heard that with her voice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Overall I was very pleased with how the series resolved though I remain frustrated at how much screen time they gave to the Laconia story in this final season. The showrunners would want to have been very certain of a sequel series in order to justify how much time they took from an already shortened season for a storyline that effectively went nowhere. I would have rather they stuck those bonus "x-ray" scenes into the main episodes in place of the Laconia segments.

Advertisement