Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Expanse (Amazon) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Talisman

The reason I asked is because Amazon already have the episodes available to stream or purchase in the same time frame that they aired on SyFy. See the release dates of each episode for details: Prime Video - The Expanse - Season 3.

Netflix's OTT rights gave them the series approximately 6 months after it aired on SyFy.

If we were to follow your first run/second run analogy in the context of OTT then Amazon already have first run but it is exclusive to North America, Netflix have second run but their market is the rest of the world.

Netflix passed on the opportunity to save the show. We've been told it is to become an Amazon Originals series which would suggest that from season 4 onward it will be exclusive to Amazon's services.

What we don't know yet is how the OTT rights outside of North America will be affected going forward. I would imagine that Netflix won't say anything until season 3 is released on their service but I think that it might be some time before season 1-3 will appear on Amazon Prime outside of North America.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Talisman wrote: »
    The reason I asked is because Amazon already have the episodes available to stream or purchase in the same time frame that they aired on SyFy. See the release dates of each episode for details: Prime Video - The Expanse - Season 3.

That's normal, they also have shows like game of thrones and the handmaid's tale available as they come out. Completely separate from what they stream through the subscription service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭sioda

Just finished season 3 from that last scene with Holden is Miller permanently in his head now ala 6 in BSG

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just finished book one, three days of solid reading. Absolutely cracking. I always disliked having seen something before I read it buy this in no way took away from it.

Have to wait till next week to read book two as my family have said I was like an addict reading that.

sioda wrote: »
    Just finished season 3 from that last scene with Holden is Miller permanently in his head now ala 6 in BSG
    No - Miller is part of the proto-molecule. It should be made clear in the next season of the series.

The explanation Miller has so far given is that he is a program that is tuned to Holden's brain, that's why only Holden sees him. Holden knows that it is somehow related to the proto-molecule which is why he kept scanning himself for infection using the med-bay equipment.

Some of the recap segments at the beginning of each episode have subtly shown the link. It's one of those little things that readers of the books will have immediately picked up on and viewers will remember the particular scenes when it is properly explained.

If you have watched all of the series to date, then you already have all of the information but I will spoiler it any way.
    Every piece of proto-molecule material is connected - The scientists discovered
    that it's an enormous network.

The people that were infected with the material were broken down and repurposed to become part of the network.

Their consciousness still exists - remember Eros was 'broadcasting' songs and some of the Belters made 'mix-tapes' of the material.

Holden was imprinted on Miller - there is a connection between them through their shared experience. Miller was a shoot first and talk about it later type. Holden was a "let's talk about this" type. They were opposite sides of the spectrum but they each wanted to be a bit more like the other.

On Ganymede the escaped proto-molecule being sought refuge in the cargo hold of the Roci. They tried to claw their way through to the reactor and in the process left some of the proto-molecule gloop. Afterwards the crew torched the gloop but they missed a piece.

The proto-molecule has repurposed Miller to investigate what happened to the its creators. The Miller program has been able to reach out to Holden due to the piece of gloop inside the hull of the Roci.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Got to episode 8, and the quality leap has been so pronounced throughout Season 3 it makes SyFy's decision look even more idiotic than before. Every facet of the production feels amped up from before: stronger characters, pacing, tension etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

I thought episode 8 was the season finale the way it finished. Was delighted to see that there would be another five episodes.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Got to episode 8, and the quality leap has been so pronounced throughout Season 3 it makes SyFy's decision look even more idiotic than before. Every facet of the production feels amped up from before: stronger characters, pacing, tension etc.
    It wasn't their decision - the decision was made by the parent company, NBC Universal.
    “The Expanse transported us across the solar system for three brilliant seasons of television,” said Chris McCumber, President, Entertainment Networks for NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment. “Everyone at Syfy is a massive fan of the series, and this was an incredibly difficult decision. We want to sincerely thank The Expanse’s amazing cast, crew and all the dedicated creatives who helped bring James S.A. Corey’s story to life. And to the series’ loyal fans, we thank you most of all.”

The Expanse was one of the best performing shows on the SyFy channel in terms of viewing figures but it didn't bring in enough live viewers. This meant that there wasn't sufficient advertising revenue to justify the money they were spending on it. Whoever negotiated the licensing for the channel with the production company Alcon Television Group screwed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I thought episode 8 was the season finale the way it finished. Was delighted to see that there would be another five episodes.

It was an end to the book. It's odd how they do it but it's good they are not stretching out a book too long if it's not required.

It was an end to the book. It's odd how they do it but it's good they are not stretching out a book too long if it's not required.
    The Expanse was originally intended to be a MMO game but they couldn't get backers to create it. One of the authors had compiled material for story lines for a period of over 10 years before the first book was written. As a result the show's creators have everything mapped out for them - the show doesn't follow the exact same plots as the books but that was never their intention - the material is well layered and contains little trapdoors which hook into future plot lines.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Just finished season 3 there, and absolutely loved it. It really is one of the best sci-fi shows i've ever seen. Absolute madness that it was nearly cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Kiith wrote: »
    Just finished season 3 there, and absolutely loved it. It really is one of the best sci-fi shows i've ever seen. Absolute madness that it was nearly cancelled.

It was cancelled! It's just been saved by another network! Madness on the part of SyFy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

The Expanse will be leaving Netflix internationally soon, including Ireland. Presumably it'll be available on primevideo.com afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I've started listening to the audiobooks to get my fix of The Expanse. Have to say they are absolutely excellent. I've flown through the first two (Leviathan Wakes & Caliban's War) faster than I've ever listened to an audiobook before. Started the 3rd one 2 nights ago. Would highly recommend for fans of the TV series

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Seasons 1-3 will be added to Amazon on the 8th of February and season 4 will debut sometime in 2019.

https://deadline.com/2019/01/amazon-prime-video-the-expanse-launch-date-season-3-season-4-1202538962/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I was about to cancel my Prime membership.
    Joined during the summer purely to be able to watch Season 3. Never able to as a US based credit card was required. Even tried using an Amazon gift card (bought in US) when I was there. No dice.
    So looking forward to Feb 8th.

I'll use the free trial to watch

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Synode wrote: »
    I'll use the free trial to watch

How long does the trial last, as in how much of a binge will it be?

CramCycle wrote: »
    How long does the trial last, as in how much of a binge will it be?

30 days as far as I know. I've kept saying no for ages waiting for the Expanse to be added. I watched S03 from 'other sources' and the quality was crap. Looking forward to watching in HD.

Yup. 30 days free and then Eur 13 per month.
    I’ve used it for Man in High Castle and old movies. And free delivery over Xmas.

Also, next book is due for release this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Tenger wrote: »
    Yup. 30 days free and then Eur 13 per month.
    I’ve used it for Man in High Castle and old movies. And free delivery over Xmas.

Also, next book is due for release this summer.
    For anyone who doesn't want the UK prime delivery service you can get it for €3 a month on primevideo.com

Anyone else listening to the audiobooks? The audio quality of Nemesis Gates is awful for some reason and is really distracting me. I'm going to try delete it and download it again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Burn Gorman (Torchwood, Pacific Rim) has joined the cast, and will be playing
    Chief Murtry
    . Slightly surprising casting, wouldn't have been my choice but we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Seasons 1-3 will be added to Amazon on the 8th of February and season 4 will debut sometime in 2019.

https://deadline.com/2019/01/amazon-prime-video-the-expanse-launch-date-season-3-season-4-1202538962/

I have Amazon Prime but I still have to buy the episodes to watch them?

Whats the point of Pime?

Its cheaper for me to buy the box sets.

What am I missing here? With Netfilx you pay your sub and can watch everything. With Prime it's your sub plus you still have to buy to watch, what gives. Cray system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Whats the point of Pime?

What am I missing here? With Netfilx you pay your sub and can watch everything. With Prime it's your sub plus you still have to buy to watch, what gives. Cray system.

Prime has a god awful interface, sometimes it will direct you to paid versions even if there are free versions available. I'm not sure how the Irish one works (live abroad) but I know that when the missus was watching the Harry Potter films I needed to look them up by their German name, not the English name, or else they would try charge me. I rarely use prime video because of that kind of bollock acting

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Whats the point of Pime?

They're not on prime yet, you're seeing the price for view on demand.

Seems to released in a few European coountries.
    Showing under “recently added” on my Prime Video interface on the tablet.
    Still giving me a ‘region restricted’ pop up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Yeah, still locked for Ireland and no season 3 either.

And they wonder why people turn to "other means" to get content, it's because we can't get them legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Wasn't it supposed to be today, like sometime before 23.59. I'd calm the kacks until tomorrow and if it's not there by then maybe get on to amazon.

• Advertisement

sweetie wrote: »
    Wasn't it supposed to be today, like sometime before 23.59. I'd calm the kacks until tomorrow and if it's not there by then maybe get on to amazon.

Date announced was Feb 8th. Assumption was that it would be later this evening. But Ive seen online (Expanse facebook group) that ppl in Sweden, France, UK and Germany had access at from 11pm last night.

Advertisement