Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edision Optimuss OS 3 Plus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

I think the openATV image is fine now that I re-imaged it cleanly , (NOT) a backup image from someone else's OS 3+.

Same here, has been running ok since Tuesday so I might leave well enough alone for now and maybe wait for openatv 5.0

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭soram

My Optimuss box has now crashed a few times or frozen with the EPG displayed. I've not added any plugins or done any upgrades since getting it from Freetv..... When it crashes it sorts itself out and reboots - freezing requires me to power off/on. I have not had to reflash it though. I'm still very happy with it!

My only real problem is with recording. I have a 500GB hdd installed internally but it pixelates a bit on playback. Not terribly but enough to be annoying. It is formatted to EXT3 and when I ran the test through Spark on my Alien a few months ago it said it was good speedwise for multiple recordings. Is there a recommended hdd minimum spec does anybody know? I'm sure this is a bog standard 5400rpm SATA III drive.
    Would / should reformatting improve this? If so can I do this from the box itself or do I need to remove it to a USB caddy and format it from my PC?

Any comments appreciated!

Yes you can format from the box itself, where in the menu I can't rem off the top of my head, so many menu's on OpenAtV.

Mine runs much much better since I installed a fresh (NON) freetv.ie image. No crashes.

I downloaded an image from the OpenATV site.

It depends on the bitrate of the channels how fast your drive needs to be .

for instance 2 hd channels recording togethr could be nearly 20 mbs so your test should say your drive is capable of a bit more.

Hard disk, initialisation formats the disk.

Just updated kodi which has put me in a boot loop again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Anyone know what the difference between the os3 and 3plus is?

• Advertisement

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    Anyone know what the difference between the os3 and 3plus is?

Could be wrong but I don't think there is an OS3 - http://edision.de/produkte/optimuss-receiver/

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭soram

Yes you can format from the box itself, where in the menu I can't rem off the top of my head, so many menu's on OpenAtV.

Mine runs much much better since I installed a fresh (NON) freetv.ie image. No crashes.

I downloaded an image from the OpenATV site.

It depends on the bitrate of the channels how fast your drive needs to be .

for instance 2 hd channels recording togethr could be nearly 20 mbs so your test should say your drive is capable of a bit more.

Found the menu and did the file system test. It said all sorts of nasty things so I just reformatted it. I haven't tried the recording yet but hopefully it's better. The Alien must have messed it up I reckon with all those crashes........

Sorry but another question for all the optimuss users. Since this is just a rebadged technomate 3t combo is it possible to flash an image backup made on a technomate on an optimuss os3? Has anyone tried it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Freetv.ie have 10% off all orders this week so the Edision OS3 plus is now available for 229 euro and the OS2 plus for 202 euro
    Discount Code: FREETV
    Valid: 31st Mar - 6th April 2015
    Enter & Apply Discount Code at Checkout
    Discount Code Works When Signed In

Zardoz wrote: »
    Freetv.ie have 10% off all orders this week so the Edision OS3 plus is now available for 229 euro

Perfect timing!

• Advertisement

Sorry but another question for all the optimuss users. Since this is just a rebadged technomate 3t combo is it possible to flash an image backup made on a technomate on an optimuss os3? Has anyone tried it?

Don't know to he honest haven't tried. Can't imagine there is any difference, just haven't dared to try one yet. There do seem to be a few more images for the os3 popping up. Did a fresh install of openatv 4.2 without all the plugins and then added the ones of use and it has been running well. Will probably wait for 5.0 before doing any major changes.

Is there a setting or file that can be edited to increase the volume level. The volume setting for TV and os3 are both set quite high and I don't imagine my hearing is going just yet!!!

THE ALM wrote: »
    Is there a setting or file that can be edited to increase the volume level. The volume setting for TV and os3 are both set quite high and I don't imagine my hearing is going just yet!!!

Might need to change the audio source from nar to English.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 paulkeano

Is it possible to map a drive from a windows OS to the OS3? I would like to be able to stream a file that is recording on the internal HD that comes with the OS3.

Any assistance much appreciated.

PK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Simply type the boxes network address (192.168.XXX.XXX) into your web browser to open WEBIF and you should be able access everything. The box should also show up in windows explorer under network.

Might need to change the audio source from nar to English.

Makes no difference. It is not a big deal, just seems that I have both set at about 70% which would seem high to me so just wondering if there was an output setting file or something that could be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Zardoz wrote: »
    The Edision Optimuss OS 3 Plus looks very similar to the Technomate Nano 3T in both looks and specification .
    Are they the same unit under the hood ?

The World Vision Force1+ and Edision Optimus OS3+ and Technomate Nano 3T are the same box rebranded (so different bootloaders, so dont try the E2 OS for one on the other).

Looks like both most likely made by Hubtech in Korea, who also manufacture for Technomate and Clarketech (which became Xtrend) brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

THE ALM wrote: »
    Don't know to he honest haven't tried. Can't imagine there is any difference, just haven't dared to try one yet. There do seem to be a few more images for the os3 popping up. Did a fresh install of openatv 4.2 without all the plugins and then added the ones of use and it has been running well. Will probably wait for 5.0 before doing any major changes.

I did the same as you with a fresh open atv image after you said it and its working fine for me now too. Something in that freetv backup didn't like my box. Fingers crossed it keeps going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Dont forget that the Vu+ Player for Android App will work with these boxes. Once you install VLC on your android device you will be able to stream channels from your set top box to your android device and change channels etc.

What is the likelihood of e2bmc running on this box, could it handle it?

Just when I get one of these boxes and have it up and running I'm already looking at what is coming up in the future, damn you technology!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Decided to go for one seeing as they have the 10% o , looking forward to it arriving next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Seriously considering getting rid of sky. Would anyone recommend this box as a replacement?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Seriously considering getting rid of sky. Would anyone recommend this box as a replacement?

Take a look at the FTA channel listings on the FTA Tuning Sticky, make a call for yourself how much of your viewing is subscription TV and how much is FTA. Then assess what you'd miss out on by losing the subscription channels and what would can make up with Netflix or some such alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Take a look at the FTA channel listings on the FTA Tuning Sticky, make a call for yourself how much of your viewing is subscription TV and how much is FTA. Then assess what you'd miss out on by losing the subscription channels and what would can make up with Netflix or some such alternative

Thanks a lot.
    In terms of using the box, how does it stack up to Sky+?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭bootser

Mr Velo wrote:
    Thanks a lot. In terms of using the box, how does it stack up to Sky+?

Hi, I'd be really interested in this also,if it was comparable to sky+ features! Is it a fairly easy install for a complete newbi?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭g0g

For those asking about Sky, I'm just making the switch myself. Have the new box and am about to cancel Sky. I never had sports or movie packages with Sky, so personally the only channel I'll miss is Eurosport and maybe a couple of channels like Nick Jr for the kids. Otherwise it gives me everything I want and I have more basic HD channels now than I did with Sky. Have a favourites list set up which includes both Saorview and satellite channels no problem at all. Have managed to set up recordings no problem. It takes a bit of getting used to and on expert mode there are a LOT of menus, but I'm definitely a fan so far. The gist from reading through these threads seems to be not to muck about with the box too much unless you know what you're doing to avoid having to reset anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭bootser

g0g wrote:
    For those asking about Sky, I'm just making the switch myself. Have the new box and am about to cancel Sky. I never had sports or movie packages with Sky, so personally the only channel I'll miss is Eurosport and maybe a couple of channels like Nick Jr for the kids. Otherwise it gives me everything I want and I have more basic HD channels now than I did with Sky. Have a favourites list set up which includes both Saorview and satellite channels no problem at all. Have managed to set up recordings no problem. It takes a bit of getting used to and on expert mode there are a LOT of menus, but I'm definitely a fan so far. The gist from reading through these threads seems to be not to muck about with the box too much unless you know what you're doing to avoid having to reset anything.

Did you buy from freetv? Did it come ready to go or did it need some setting up? Did you get built in HDD or r u using external, I have an omega 1 tb media player I was thinking of using?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭g0g

Did you buy from freetv?
    Yes
    Did it come ready to go or did it need some setting up?
    I have a relative who works in setting up dishes etc, but the box itself was ready to go and just plug in twin feed from dish and single feed from Saorview antenna.
    Did you get built in HDD or r u using external, I have an omega 1 tb media player I was thinking of using?
    I went with the built in one to keep it simple.

So far my only problem was doing something stupid with screen settings and the menu went massive so I couldn't see it on screen. I was easily able to download a fresh image (if that's the right word for it) from the FreeTV website, unzip it, stick it on a USB and re-install using the video on their website.

Since then the only real updating I've done is allowing the regular enough auto-updates to install and setting up my own list of favourites. I have no knowledge of Linux (don't think it's really needed for this) but am comfortable enough exploring menus and figuring out how things work. Once you plug your box into the home network with a data cable you just get the IP address and can log into it - the menus are clear there and work very smoothly.

As has been mentioned a lot will depend on what you watch mostly, do you have a bit of technical know how and also do you have a decent broadband connection.

When I looked back there wasn't at great deal that we watched that wasn't covered by freesat or soarview so that wasn't a major consideration.

We live out in the country so fixed broadband isn't an option, luckily I had set up a pretty decent 4g connection and to get the most out of these boxes a decent connection is needed.

In fairness to Sky when you set up one of the boxes you are good to go and you will never really have to look at it again and everything pretty much works and is easy to navigate. With a linux box there is a bit of setting up to do and getting it running how you want and this is were a bit of know how is very useful and the more you do the more used to doing it you will become.

Undoubtedly something will go amiss or you will have to install the software again, I have probably done it 3 or 4 times at this stage and, although annoying, it not such a difficult process. The images for these are constantly being updated and little niggles ironed out so that each release becomes a bit more stable. As gOg says, once you have it running how you like you are probably better leaving well enough alone, this is were my problem lies ;-) and why my better half is always asking what am I doing now!

If you do have a problem I think, as this board shows, somebody will always try to help you out and point you in the right direction.

• Advertisement

So is openatv the best image for this? Started a clean install of 4.2 on it but I'm getting frequent crashes when changing channels amongst things.

Advertisement