Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edision Optimuss OS 3 Plus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

MYSTICA1 wrote: »
    Thanks for that TheAlm. Can I ask some probably very basic questions .. I have searched quite a bit but I can't seem to find suitable answers to these questions;
    1. When I download a plug-in should it be saved to USB key or onto the box? How do you then access it to install it? Specifically looking to install picons for Saorview & 28.2 satellite FTA channels.
    2. From what I have read, it is wise to do a backup of my system, settings etc. before downloading or changing any settings. How do you do this? What size would the backup be?
    3. I am hoping to use NAS drive I already have to record to rather than the internal HDD option. My box picks up the NAS alright, but wants to format it in order to use it .. Is there a way to allow it to format only a share of the NAS for use by the box?

Only had an hour or two to play with the box last night but loving it so far !

Thanks for the help guys !

Picons I save on the USB as they are going to be accessed regularly. When you download plugins that should be them installed.

If you hit the blue button and select software on the left menu then there should be an option on the right to do a backup, from memory.

Don't have a nas to help you out with that one. Would have thought once you have the nas connected that you should be able to view the content similar to the way I pickup the wdtv live on mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭NegativeOne

Is anyone else's fan sounding a bit loud? If the room is quiet I can here mine quite clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Mine doesn't even spin. I thought this was normal. Anyone else tell me if their's spins? Maybe my freezing issues are heat related. Still happening with a clean install of openatv but not as frequent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭NegativeOne

superg wrote: »
    Mine doesn't even spin. I thought this was normal. Anyone else tell me if their's spins? Maybe my freezing issues are heat related. Still happening with a clean install of openatv but not as frequent.

It woke me up the other night.(box is in the bedroom!) Its not on all the time and I probably wouldn't notice it when watching tv but when the box is on and the TV off it can be heard sometimes.

At first I presumed it was the hard drive I installed on the way out but I checked the fan speed in the menu and once I turned it off the noise went.

Can't say that I have noticed any noise from the fan and actually checked this morning to see if it is spinning, which it is. You could take the cover off to see that it is fitted securely and not rubbing on something.

On another note - the OS3+ has been running great since upgrading to 5.0 and hasn't missed a beat since doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Voyager II

About to get one of these. have had a couple of argos mini ips for a long time now super reliable stb combo, no bells or whistles though. Has anybody got an opinion what is the best image for these,When purchasing from freetv should I get the openatv (seems to be ok after update to 5.0)or enigma imageg.

Have to check fan more often. I've never seen it spin, box could be on for hours and it's doing nothing.

THE ALM wrote: »

On another note - the OS3+ has been running great since upgrading to 5.0 and hasn't missed a beat since doing so.

Got a link to the clean version of 5? I can only find a download of 4.2 on the openATV website under Edision images.

Edit:- found it. It's here if anyone wants it.

Voyager II wrote: »
    About to get one of these. have had a couple of argos mini ips for a long time now super reliable stb combo, no bells or whistles though. Has anybody got an opinion what is the best image for these,When purchasing from freetv should I get the openatv (seems to be ok after update to 5.0)or enigma imageg.

Openatv seems to be the one to go with for these and would appear to be the most updated. Openatv is based on enigma2 so one in the same thing.

Not sure how up to date the freetv image is so I would download a recent one from the openatv site, superg posted a link, and install this. Should be just a matter of downloading the image, unzip it to a usb, turn off the os3+, plug usb into front usb port, turn on box. You will be prompted to press the channel- button on the front of the box and follow the prompts from here.

Thanks for clearing that up THE ALM

• Advertisement

Box didn't take to kindly to the 5.0 update from 15/04. Would load up and start the default start up channel but would just crash after I hit any other button whether trying to change channel or bring up the menu. Was going so well up until that point, so I have had to roll back to a previous version.

Has anybody done a factory reset on one of these?

I loaded up 5 and its worked ok. Still freezing occasionally but every image I try does that.

I think the issue was with the epg.dat. When I run the update through the front usb I unplug the rear usb which contains the epg.dat. After I upgraded this time I forgot to plug the rear one in again before re-booting and I think, when I tried to change channel, it caused a bit of a glitch between the epg.dat, crossepg and cooltv guide and I don't think the skin I was using liked it either.

Will just flash the latest 5.0 image on tonight without some of the additional plugins as it was running sweet as you like up to that.

I am toying with the idea of a factory reset and assume this with clean the box completely and will mean rescanning all channels etc.

Has anybody done a factory reset on one of these?

Did a factory reset on mine last night, puts it back to the stock Edision image. Everything needs to be redone, channels rescaned & plugins reloaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭red bellied

I think the issue was with the epg.dat. When I run the update through the front usb I unplug the rear usb which contains the epg.dat. After I upgraded this time I forgot to plug the rear one in again before re-booting and I think, when I tried to change channel, it caused a bit of a glitch between the epg.dat, crossepg and cooltv guide and I don't think the skin I was using liked it either.

Will just flash the latest 5.0 image on tonight without some of the additional plugins as it was running sweet as you like up to that.

I am toying with the idea of a factory reset and assume this with clean the box completely and will mean rescanning all channels etc.

I won't bother with cooltv on openatv, use their inbuilt guide instead, it could cause problems.

I won't bother with cooltv on openatv, use their inbuilt guide instead, it could cause problems.

Think it was more a usb epg.dat issue although I will remove the cooltv plugin, just a personal thing.

Did a factory reset on mine last night, puts it back to the stock Edision image. Everything needs to be redone, channels rescaned & plugins reloaded.

figured as much. Any reason you did a reset and how have you found it since?

figured as much. Any reason you did a reset and how have you found it since?

Basically I made a pigs ear of it, or so I thought of some of the plugins. But it turns out the optimuss does not like a single feed from the dish. Had set it up with two feeds and moved it to the kitchen to do more fettling to find it would not boot past 99%. Did factory reset as for some reason it would not take the firmware off the usb. Reinstalled the image from freetv and back up running.

Basically I made a pigs ear of it, or so I thought of some of the plugins. But it turns out the optimuss does not like a single feed from the dish. Had set it up with two feeds and moved it to the kitchen to do more fettling to find it would not boot past 99%. Did factory reset as for some reason it would not take the firmware off the usb. Reinstalled the image from freetv and back up running.

Sometimes it is the smallest thing that can upset them!

Yeah I actually think it does because when you click on cool tv in plugins , sometimes it crashes. It's nicer looking though but I do think it clashes with the open TV guide.

• Advertisement

I'm running a fresh clean non backup image a few weeks now with just the very odd crash if i click on cooltv guide in the plugin menu.

A clean image on my Mothers Amiko Alien 2 is proving to be a lot more stable also.

Looks like a factory reset may be on the cards when I get time. Can't get any version of openatv to go further than loading up my default start up channel, when I hit any button on the remote it will crash the box which will restart back to the start up channel. Ended up loading up openvix to get back to a functioning set up.

An issue with the openvix image is that when I try to update anything or download a plugin I get a message saying it is not connected to the network. It does say that it is connected through wifi and gives me link details and the network test loads everything ok so not sure what the issue is.

I see Argos a running a special on some powerline adapters and I reserved some for collection later (for anybody looking same they have a few different sets on offer http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1397640/Trail/searchtext%3ETP+LINK.htm)

When I tried flashing an image for openatv I removed cooltv and a skin that I had used previously and another couple of plugins which I think may be causing all the problems. I assume that openatv stores a settings file and when I flashed the updated image it causes issues with the new settings and the old so I assume that a factory reset will clear all this.

Does the factory reset clear the hdd or is it just the os3+ own internal memory?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 el madrigal

Right lads in simple English - I just did my weekly update and the box keeps crashing when I hit any button. Can't even get the menu screen up.

Can anyone give me the info on what I have to do to get it running. Had all sorts of problems with the box and I've to bring the box back this week as the infared has packed in. Using the remote function on the openwebif for 2 weeks now. Head is firmly done in

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭red bellied

Right lads in simple English - I just did my weekly update and the box keeps crashing when I hit any button. Can't even get the menu screen up.

Can anyone give me the info on what I have to do to get it running. Had all sorts of problems with the box and I've to bring the box back this week as the infared has packed in. Using the remote function on the openwebif for 2 weeks now. Head is firmly done in

Flash again, leave the image as simple as possible. Just add your basic needs for viewing like Crossepg or Rytec, Autobouquets and whatever essential you need. Back it up and then you can go tinkering at it. I wouldn't bother with the online updates you wont notice any difference. Just wait for when they do their big firmware updates.

Sounds similar to me. Did an update and it would crash anytime I hit a button. Loaded up the openvix image which has been running OK since.

Got openatv back on the box. Was running openvix and decided to try openatv 5.0 again. When I flashed the image it asks what plugins you would like to install (in German so I assume this is what it says). I deselected cool tv, skins, kodi, ts media and ran the upgrade. It loaded up and yet again when I hit any button on the remote it would crash the box.

Figure I would try the latest 4.2 and it gets to the section about plugins with the option of ja or nein. I selected nein, which I assume means it will install no plugins, and when it loaded up it worked.

Now that I could get the remote working again I decided to flash 5.0 online and again I selected the option to install settings with no plugins. This installed and loaded up okay so hopefully no more problems.

Other than the default I have installed the plugins crossepg, ts media, on demand and a set of picons.

Obviously a plugin is causing problems and un-installing or deselecting it does not clear the error and a clean install with no plugins in required.

These OpenATV images are a pain in the hole.Good box let down by crap images, always something up. Meanwhile my Alien 2+ is rock solid with Freshpots Hyperion 4.5 image I put on it months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

superg wrote: »
    These OpenATV images are a pain in the hole.Good box let down by crap images, always something up. Meanwhile my Alien 2+ is rock solid with Freshpots Hyperion 4.5 image I put on it months ago.

Same for any box, the software needs time to mature. The Alien 2 was a buggy POS for ages but got there in the end. It'll be the same for this one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Same for any box, the software needs time to mature. The Alien 2 was a buggy POS for ages but got there in the end. It'll be the same for this one

Thats true and only to be expected though.
    However the early posts in this thread lead people to believe it was a very stable receiver when it would seem that clearly wasnt the case.

• Advertisement

I think they would be stable if the basic image was loaded and left alone, it is all the addons/plugins that start causing the problems. I don't think, with all the different boxes and all the different plugins, that you can expect these to be tested and run flawlessly on every box. Looking on the openatv 4.2 image site there are 48 different makes never mind the different models each have.

I know I am continually changing and updating things and I do expect something will go wrong along the way, as my posts will testify.

Advertisement