Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edision Optimuss OS 3 Plus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    So is openatv the best image for this? Started a clean install of 4.2 on it but I'm getting frequent crashes when changing channels amongst things.

I have only tried the opendroid image, which I didn't get on with at all before going back to openatv. This has has been running with no problems except when I tried to update kodi direct which put me in a bootloop.

I did a clean install with the image from here - http://images.mynonpublic.com/openatv/current/index.php?open=optimussos3plus and then added the plugins as I need which, as I say, has been running well.

I see openatv and opendroid are both working on 5.0 so I will leave mine as is until those come out. Openvix also have a image updated today if that might be worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

THE ALM wrote: »
    I have only tried the opendroid image, which I didn't get on with at all before going back to openatv. This has has been running with no problems except when I tried to update kodi direct which put me in a bootloop.

I did a clean install with the image from here - http://images.mynonpublic.com/openatv/current/index.php?open=optimussos3plus and then added the plugins as I need which, as I say, has been running well.

I see openatv and opendroid are both working on 5.0 so I will leave mine as is until those come out. Openvix also have a image updated today if that might be worth a try.

Yeah thats the image I started with, might start again.

Yeah thats the image I started with, might start again.

Good luck. Assuming you have just got this, was it running ok when you first set it up?

Good luck. Assuming you have just got this, was it running ok when you first set it up?

Didn't leave the freetv image on too long so not sure if it was freezing on changing channels. Its most likely something I installed.

Didn't leave the freetv image on too long so not sure if it was freezing on changing channels. Its most likely something I installed.

Could be as mad lad and myself seem to have it running ok after a clean install.

• Advertisement

Yeah the freetv.ie backup was causing me a lot of problems.

A clean install with an image from the OpenATV website not a backup.

http://www.opena.tv/edision-images/download-328-edision-optimuss-os3-plus.html

You'll have to install and configure all your plugins , it will take time if you're not used to it but it's well worth it. mine runs perfect now smooth, no lag and no crashes yet.

Once you get it all up and running, make a backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Donkey OTae

Hi All, long time reader - first time poster :-)
    I took the plunge & bought an Os3 during the week, I wonder could someone help with some very newbie questions about using ftp software with it please?
    I'm connecting an ethernet cable from my pc to the box & filezilla is looking for,
    1. Host (I guess that's the boxes IP is it? e.g 192.168.x.x)
    2. Username (is this "Root" ? Or is there some other generic username & pw?)
    3. Password (like above, is there some generic pw?)
    4. Port (filezilla suggests "21", would that be right?)

If the details are right, I take it the Os3 should simply appear below am I right?
    Apologies for all the questions, I'd have read the manual cover to cover but there isn't one.

Hi All, long time reader - first time poster :-)
    I took the plunge & bought an Os3 during the week, I wonder could someone help with some very newbie questions about using ftp software with it please?
    I'm connecting an ethernet cable from my pc to the box & filezilla is looking for,
    1. Host (I guess that's the boxes IP is it? e.g 192.168.x.x)
    2. Username (is this "Root" ? Or is there some other generic username & pw?)
    3. Password (like above, is there some generic pw?)
    4. Port (filezilla suggests "21", would that be right?)

If the details are right, I take it the Os3 should simply appear below am I right?
    Apologies for all the questions, I'd have read the manual cover to cover but there isn't one.

Yip, put in the box ip, root for username and password is blank which should connect filezilla

Anybody recommend any saorview picons and I assume I would store them with the other picons?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Anybody recommend any saorview picons and I assume I would store them with the other picons?

Have you got the pictures stored on the internal flash or a dedicated USB stick ?

This will determine where to run the telnet command from for symbolic link.

TELnet runs from Windows run command (telnet.exe), dos like windows opens.

o 192.168.0.XXX [xxx = IP of your box]
    root
    [password]

cd /picon/ [if internal flash] OR if on cd /media/usb/picon [if usb storage] THEN cut and paste and press return for each.

ln -s tv/3/3e.png 1_0_16_452_3E9_2174_EEEE0000_0_0_0.png
    ln -s tv/t/tg4.png 1_0_16_450_3E9_2174_EEEE0000_0_0_0.png
    ln -s tv/t/tv3ireland.png 1_0_16_44F_3E9_2174_EEEE0000_0_0_0.png
    ln -s tv/r/rtetwohd.png 1_0_19_44E_3E9_2174_EEEE0000_0_0_0.png
    ln -s tv/r/rteonehd.png 1_0_19_835_3EA_2174_EEEE0000_0_0_0.png
    ln -s tv/r/rteone+1.png 1_0_16_83C_3EA_2174_EEEE0000_0_0_0.png

you will also have to upload to relevant folder (ie same as above - /media/usb/picon if using usb OR /picon if internal flash) on the box (using filezilla) the following picon files as the channels do not exist on 28.2E and so there are no picons.

RTE 1+1
    RTE 1
    RTE News Now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭bored_stupid

Excellent, let us know how it works.

Take screen shots too if you can :-)

I see 5.0 is meant to be running okay on the os3+ according to the openatv forum, has anybody tried iT yet?

I have upgraded to 5.0 and so far so good. Downloaded image to USB as normal and flashed the new image and restored settings when asked. No need for rescanning channels etc and all plugins got reinstalled.

Have a recording set for later so will see how that goes. In terms of looks it appears exactly the same as 4.2 so no real visual changes.

Hasn't loaded the full saorview EPG but expect that to rectify itself when it updates next.

Any hiccups I will post them up.

I have upgraded to 5.0 and so far so good. Downloaded image to USB as normal and flashed the new image and restored settings when asked. No need for rescanning channels etc and all plugins got reinstalled.

Have a recording set for later so will see how that goes. In terms of looks it appears exactly the same as 4.2 so no real visual changes.

Hasn't loaded the full saorview EPG but expect that to rectify itself when it updates next.

Any hiccups I will post them up.

You wouldn't feel like making a backup would you?

You wouldn't feel like making a backup would you?

Leave it with me

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

All this stuff in the last few days' postings is putting me right off the Edision Optimuss as an option. It sounds far too complicated for an ordinary user, not envisaging having to do write program code in order to get the thing to work.

Why can somebody not produce a simple combi-box with built-in hdd recorder just like the ones made by Philips and others that, up to fairly recently, could readily be bought in Power City and similar outlets to record television programmes from cable systems?? In that respect we seem to have gone backwards.

Have created a backup for those interested - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qpgaglrni5n784i/AACTRKnc2deyEI5dfFvkMgDwa?dl=0

This backup was made after upgrading from 4.2 to 5.0 and I ran a software update, there was a further update this morning not included in this. If installing this image I assume that you may have to run a terrestrial scan to pick up the corresponding saorview channels in your own area.

In relation to this scan, I noticed that all the terrestrial providers are now listed and I don't remember this being the case when I originally tuned in the channels. When selecting the dvb-t2 tuner card the providers are listed for counties now so Tipperary, Galway, Wicklow etc are now listed and should be a matter of selecting the mast that you are pointing to and tuning in.

I use the original MyMetrix skin as I assume this is what openatv test and therefore I have left it as is. Did try a few different ones but have reverted back to MyMetrix.

I did set a timed recording on both sat and terrestrial and both recorded no problems. I run this at present connected to a wifi dongle and, again, this was picked up no problem when doing the upgrade.

There is an update for the kodidirect and tsmedia plugins which need to be run if you are using these.

Ernest wrote: »
    All this stuff in the last few days' postings is putting me right off the Edision Optimuss as an option. It sounds far too complicated for an ordinary user, not envisaging having to do write program code in order to get the thing to work.

Why can somebody not produce a simple combi-box with built-in hdd recorder just like the ones made by Philips and others that, up to fairly recently, could readily be bought in Power City and similar outlets to record television programmes from cable systems?? In that respect we seem to have gone backwards.

I agree that there is a bit of setting up but once it is there really should be no need to change anything. I am no programmer and wouldn't know one end of code from another.

I did come from using sky which just works and these take a bit of configuring to get the most from them and to get used to the way they operate.

I think the biggest issue with these, for me anyway, is always installing different plugins and trying different settings and running software updates all the time. Although I have just upgraded the software on this there was really no need to as it ran perfectly well as it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I agree that there is a bit of setting up but once it is there really should be no need to change anything. I am no programmer and wouldn't know one end of code from another.

I did come from using sky which just works and these take a bit of configuring to get the most from them and to get used to the way they operate.

I think the biggest issue with these, for me anyway, is always installing different plugins and trying different settings and running software updates all the time. Although I have just upgraded the software on this there was really no need to as it ran perfectly well as it was.

If I buy one can I just plug it in and go? Are updates optional or will it keep nagging me to do updates?

• Advertisement

No it won't nag for updates.

These boxes can be complicated and they're not really for the person who just wants to watch tv.

It's people who like tinkering and like to change the layout and tailor their Receiver to their liking is who these boxes are aimed at, and other things I won't get in to.

I have to say that now that I installed a clean non backup from Opeaatv website and non freetv.ie backup I've had absolutely no issues. The box is fast and no crashes yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

No it won't nag for updates.

These boxes can be complicated and they're not really for the person who just wants to watch tv.

It's people who like tinkering and like to change the layout and tailor their Receiver to their liking is who these boxes are aimed at, and other things I won't get in to.

I have to say that now that I installed a clean non backup from Opeaatv website and non freetv.ie backup I've had absolutely no issues. The box is fast and no crashes yet.

I wouldn't mind the tricking to get it right part but it's the stability/ crashing issues that worry me. The last thing I need is the missus ringing me in work giving me a chawing that the box isn't working etc etc.... I think it's a single mans pursuit:pac:

jca wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind the tricking to get it right part but it's the stability/ crashing issues that worry me. The last thing I need is the missus ringing me in work giving me a chawing that the box isn't working etc etc.... I think it's a single mans pursuit:pac:

Well my mother is surviving with the Amiko Alien 2 and I need to spend the time setting it up from scratch, again , a clean image from OpeaATV and not a backup. This will probably cure some issues. Have to say the Amiko is pretty good but the Optimuss is much faster and noticeable straight away.

I have even set up the Odroid C1 in her bedroom and the droidmote app on her tablet so she can control the Odroid from that, so she's managing pretty well as well as netflix, so she can get the telly + netflix on the one box in her room.

The crashes I would say are mainly down to 3rd party plug-ins.

I find if you Telnet into the box and init 6 to reboot rather than hard reboot from the power switch, that should stop things getting worse.

But having known what I do now about these Linux receivers I would not have got the Amiko for my Mother but to be honest all the free to air receivers were either cheap rubbish or the interface was too complicated and rubbish with no proper EPG and she finds the Amiko very easy to use......when it works ! :-)

I would agree with what Mad_Lad has said and that it is when you start adding all the plugins etc. that you start getting the problems. I would imagine if you just just set this up for watching and recording tv and stripped out all the other plugins then it would probably run hassle free. It is the extra functionality these boxes provide that is a draw for some people but if you don't require it then leave it off.

I know reading through some of the posts that you would think that it is a daily occurrence and they are always crashing and throwing up errors whereas if it was set up and left alone I would think half the problems would be solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭MYSTICA1

TheAlm, Can I ask you the same question you asked earlier in the thread, when you got your box ..I got mine today! :-) What Plug-ins would you recommend and which ones should we avoid to prevent crashing issues? Complete Newbie here also .. No more Sky bills tho !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Ernest wrote: »

The problem is a basic FTA satellite or combo receiver does not get 7 day Epg, only now and next making it a little pointless. People use Linux boxes because they can run a Crossepg plugin which cracks the Sky Epg.

MYSTICA1 wrote: »
    TheAlm, Can I ask you the same question you asked earlier in the thread, when you got your box ..I got mine today! :-) What Plug-ins would you recommend and which ones should we avoid to prevent crashing issues? Complete Newbie here also .. No more Sky bills tho !

The one that causes me most issues is kodidirect to be honest. It may be due to me connecting over wifi and I should really get some powerline adapters to see if that helps matters and sometimes when I run a software update for kodi it will put me in a boot loop. Trying to stream from this or tsmedia really doesn't work for me and I would let it download in the background, again this is more a wifi issue than anything else.

Webif should be installed as it makes organising channels so much easier when you connect via a laptop/pc.

Crossepg you will want for you epg data and this can be used in conjunction with cooltv guide although I uninstalled cooltv and use the default. Setting up the epg is important and I have this set up to save to a usb stick plugged into the rear of the box. I believe that if it is stored on an hdd that it will spin up the hdd every time you read it or update it so it is better on a usb memory stick.

The ondemand plugin will give you the rte, itv player etc and may be useful to have.

Will need to check what else I have when at home.

I stripped out a few plugins that install by default like all the languages and usb drivers for wifi dongles that I don't use.

I did try a few different skins and one or two caused me a few issues so I just left it on the default mymetrix and I changed a few colours and settings for this to how I would like it.

Hi, thanks for the backup. Unfortunately it just sends my box into a bootloop. Tried the factory image from the website and that loaded up ok so I'll just have to work with that.

Hi, thanks for the backup. Unfortunately it just sends my box into a bootloop. Tried the factory image from the website and that loaded up ok so I'll just have to work with that.

No problem. Will take it down in case it causing problems for others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭MYSTICA1

Thanks for that TheAlm. Can I ask some probably very basic questions .. I have searched quite a bit but I can't seem to find suitable answers to these questions;
    1. When I download a plug-in should it be saved to USB key or onto the box? How do you then access it to install it? Specifically looking to install picons for Saorview & 28.2 satellite FTA channels.
    2. From what I have read, it is wise to do a backup of my system, settings etc. before downloading or changing any settings. How do you do this? What size would the backup be?
    3. I am hoping to use NAS drive I already have to record to rather than the internal HDD option. My box picks up the NAS alright, but wants to format it in order to use it .. Is there a way to allow it to format only a share of the NAS for use by the box?

Only had an hour or two to play with the box last night but loving it so far !

Thanks for the help guys !

Advertisement