Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edision Optimuss OS 3 Plus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Kalyke wrote: »
    Having the same problem..Any suggestions?

It's in OSD settings. You can resize it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Having been reading up on this, it works out about 50 quid cheaper than the TM nano tripple tunner, is there anything this box doesn't do that the TM had the advantage on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭g0g

Thinking of finally dumping Sky and this box seems best bet. Am I reading correctly that if I connect two lines from dish and a line from a Saorview aerial and connect it to home network then it'll do everything I want?
    1) 7 day EPG on all channels
    2) Ability to series record
    3) Mix satellite and soarview channels into the same favourites menu
    4) Possibly play media from home network?
    5) Not require lots of frequent techie tweaking?
    6) Interface friendly enough that anyone will be able to use it for viewing
    Anyone know are the optional HDDs from the crowd selling the box good value or are you better doing this yourself? What size drives are in the Sky boxes by comparison?

g0g wrote: »
    Thinking of finally dumping Sky and this box seems best bet. Am I reading correctly that if I connect two lines from dish and a line from a Saorview aerial and connect it to home network then it'll do everything I want?
    Anyone know are the optional HDDs from the crowd selling the box good value or are you better doing this yourself? What size drives are in the Sky boxes by comparison?

I use the 1TB external 2.5" I used with the Amiko and it works perfectly, not really bothered about installing an internal drive.

1TB is more than enough.

Have to say now that I figured out the EPG wasn't downloading because of a dodgy LNB the Optimuss OS III is fantastic, no lag, no crashes (yet) and it plays back recordings perfectly, on the Amiko, no matte the image, it sometimes took ages to start playing or it would crash and using FF or RW was a PITA . No so on the Optimuss.

There are far too many menus and options and it will take a while to get used to it for someone not familiar with OpenATV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Yes
    Yes, but I haven't fully tested it out
    Yes
    Yes
    Takes a bit of setting up but seems stable so tweaking but unlikely to be frequent
    I have a 4TB NAS and this both directly connected to the router so didn't order the internal drive, I'm going to continue to use the NAS for recording as I already have it so recordings can be streamed directly to some other devices but I have a spare 100GB drive that I'm going to put in for system stuff and pause

• Advertisement

Starting to have some issues with mine. Freezing at random when changing channel requiring me to switch off the box at the back to get it working again. Now it's froze in standby requiring the same thing. Normally a switch off sorts it out but right now it's froze after starting back up.

Need to try some new images.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

superg wrote: »
    Starting to have some issues with mine. Freezing at random when changing channel requiring me to switch off the box at the back to get it working again. Now it's froze in standby requiring the same thing. Normally a switch off sorts it out but right now it's froze after starting back up.

What image are you currently using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Can I use this combi box instead of my sky box, rearrange the epg and use my sky card with it to view the subscription only channels?

glic83 wrote:
    What image are you currently using?

OpenATV 4.2

• Registered Users Posts: 16 paulkeano

I use the 1TB external 2.5" I used with the Amiko and it works perfectly, not really bothered about installing an internal drive.

1TB is more than enough.

Have to say now that I figured out the EPG wasn't downloading because of a dodgy LNB the Optimuss OS III is fantastic, no lag, no crashes (yet) and it plays back recordings perfectly, on the Amiko, no matte the image, it sometimes took ages to start playing or it would crash and using FF or RW was a PITA . No so on the Optimuss.

There are far too many menus and options and it will take a while to get used to it for someone not familiar with OpenATV.

In relation to 7 day EPG....can you confirm which Plugins need to be loaded. I am getting the EPG on some channels but not others. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Paul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Had the same thing a time or two although I was doing so much messing around with it, changing settings, adding or removing plugins that I put it down to that causing a glitch in the matrix, I think it was always recording a program at the time as well. Hasn't happened for a while and I should learn to leave well enough alone. :rolleyes:

I will probably do a clean install when I get time and have downloaded the hdfreaks image to try it out and to see what it offers.

I think the temptation with these type of boxes, for me anyway, is always to change or update something when really I should leave it alone when everything is running as it should.

Yeah I downloaded that too and the open droid one. Going to try them out today. Hadn't done much messing around after initial setup but it's happening too often now.

Hello,

is there no way of watching this box from another room as can be done with Sky box and "Sky Eye". There is an RF out on the box, but I believe that it will not work when trying to watch in another room?

Is there any way of viewing from another room?

Yeah I downloaded that too and the open droid one. Going to try them out today. Hadn't done much messing around after initial setup but it's happening too often now.

Here is the openatv 4.3 which might iron out a few issues - http://images.mynonpublic.com/openatv/4.3/index.php?open=optimussos3plus

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Has anyone tried an Open Vix image for this box or got one handy ,

Thinking of trying one myself and will use that 4.3 on Open ATV

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Do Openvix even support the receiver ?
    I didnt see any images for the Edision on the Openvix downloads page
    http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php?dir=

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Are you using a internal Hard Drive ?

Don't know if you would chance the Openvix for the Nano3T, as it is the same box by all accounts.

Pulled the trigger on one of these yesterday and will learn as I go I guess!

With these "images" people are talking about I assume they are custom skins or firmware? The links appear to be direct to download files - are there sites where you can also view sample screenshots or summaries of what changes they make?

Pulled the trigger on one of these yesterday and will learn as I go I guess!

With these "images" people are talking about I assume they are custom skins or firmware? The links appear to be direct to download files - are there sites where you can also view sample screenshots or summaries of what changes they make?

They are the firmware, assuming you purchased from freetv, yours will probably come preloaded with openatv 4.2. Hard getting screenshots for these are there are a lot of skins (this will decide how it looks) to choose from and different ways to configure how these look.

I would concentrate on getting it set up and working to your satisfaction and then you could play around with how it looks.

• Advertisement

Are you using a internal Hard Drive ?

Yeah. Is this causing issues do you think? It was making funny noises in standby yesterday.

I've changed to freetv's latest image which they posted today. Still version 4.2 though.

Took my internal HDD out. It was very warm. Wonder if this is causing issues. Using a usb one now so we'll see.

Has anybody any idea what the temperature and fan control settings do? My fan never spins and changing these values don't make it spin either.

This box is great, takes a bit of tweaking, but once setup, is a great piece of kit. One thing that I have not as yet figured out, is how to access files that are being recorded on the HDD from a remote device using VLC. I can FTP to the box, and download files, but I would like to access files as they are recording. Does anyone know how to do this? Is there a way to map a network drive to the device?

Changed to the openatv 4.3 image last night after changing skins on 4.2 which put the system in a boot loop (can't remember the name of the skin but will post it here if I can remeber which one to stop anybody else doing the same.) The skin I had changed to would reboot, get to 100% and then do the same over and over again.

4.3 loaded with no problem. Don't see any major difference from 4.2 although I have not has time to check it out fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sparxy

Does anyone know if I could connect an external USB DVD player to one of these boxes?

Also, is there any facility to access Netflix via one of the plugins?

Thanks!

Sparxy

Yeah. Is this causing issues do you think? It was making funny noises in standby yesterday.

I've changed to freetv's latest image which they posted today. Still version 4.2 though.

Just make sure the EPG data was going onto the HD and not the box internal memory.

I have an Open VIX image , but its lean , I've done nothing to it yet ,

If I have time over the next week or two I will fully load it up ,

Just make sure the EPG data was going onto the HD and not the box internal memory.

I have an Open VIX image , but its lean , I've done nothing to it yet ,

If I have time over the next week or two I will fully load it up ,

Yeah it was on the HD alright. Always the first thing I do. Have had no issues since I took the drive out of the case and into a USB enclosure but its early days.

Got a link to the Open vix image? Didn't know they had one. Can see the Technomate 3T image they have.

Just got the box today, simple to get started. Some initial questions/observations:
    1) I changed output from 720P to 1080P. Pic is now great but the menu is massive so I can't see it all on the screen as font is so big! How do I fix!?
    2) When I check for updates in one of the menus it tells me 139 files are available. Are these a good idea to install in general, or am I better sticking with FreeTV's own firmware and is this maybe generic stuff that will over-write it?
    3) When trying to do some things so far I've noticed the box hung with a loading icon in the top right for ages. Once this happened while trying to view my PC on the network. It eventually got to the next screen but took AGES.

1. Got to system, extended system, settings, osd position. You can re size it there.

2. I've wondered this myself. I haven't bothered updating cos there's loads of stuff in there I've no idea what to update! Maybe someone else can help us on that one.

3. Been happening for me too but I lack your patience. I turn it off and on again when it freezes. I've yet to figure out the cause but I think it might have been my hard drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Does anybody use the Kodidirect plugin and how do you find it?

Advertisement