Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E2.50 pints should be outlawed, says FG TD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,851 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Greene King moving into Ireland too. They obviously think they can undercut the market too.

http://www.irishpost.co.uk/news/brit...ars-in-ireland
    Another UK chain player now planning on opening here, this just gets better LOL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I have a great idea to curb binge drinking.

1: All soft drinks prices will be capped at a max of €1 in pubs
    2: Impose massive fines for any pub serving someone more than 4 pints in a night.

I'm sure all the concerned TDs and publicans will back these simple ideas immediately

Not sure if serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I have a great idea to curb binge drinking.

1: All soft drinks prices will be capped at a max of €1 in pubs
    2: Impose massive fines for any pub serving someone more than 4 pints in a night.

I'm sure all the concerned TDs and publicans will back these simple ideas immediately

Aye to no1. A max soft drink price would do better than a minimum alcohol price

Not sure if serious?
    Sarcasm of the highest order, up there with the sarcastic priest from father ted if you recall him...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

This TD should be immediately removed from whatever power she may hold and never again allowed to hold any form of political position.

The state of the politicians in this country is unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Holsten wrote: »
    This TD should be immediately removed from whatever power she may hold and never again allowed to hold any form of political position.

The state of the politicians in this country is unreal.

They are a very sick joke and I don't know what their agendas are half the time. But it is always to protect some vested interest whether it is direct or not. E.g. Vintners. You often hear stuff like this regarding drink:

'binge drinking, that is drinking 3 or more units of alcohol in one setting, is a huge problem in Ireland. Below cost selling by supermarkets encourages this and home drinking has been shown in studies to cause more uncontrolled drinking. Drinking in licensed premises offers a controlled environment where drink can be bought and drank responsibly'.

Have heard that 1000 times and it shows whose side the politicians are on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Don't think this has been mentioned so far.

From a journal.ie article, on a pub in Coolock offering discounts (€3 pints) to customers on social welfare.
    Fine Gael Dublin West Senator Catherine Noone has today branded the promotion as “irresponsible”.
    “While I’m not against social welfare recipients receiving discounts, I am against the promotion of irresponsible drinking and irresponsible prices,” she said.

Seems like there's a consensus in the Fine Gael party as to what constitutes an irresponsible price.
    And it seems to be any price that offers consumers a fairer deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Here's my calculation on the breakdown of the cost of a pint.

€4.50 in a pub for a pint of Guinness, inc VAT

- Out of a maximum 88 pints, Revenue dictate you can get 84 pints from the keg.
    - €148.00 a keg exVAT. From what i'm reading, excise is INCLUDED in this exVAT price.
    - that yields a cost of €1.76 exVAT a pint.
    - €4.50 retail price, exVAT is €3.66
    - Profit to the publican is €1.90 gross, 108% profit

Wetherspoons:

€2.50 for a pint, inc VAT

- At an absolute stab in the dark, lets assume €130 for a keg of non Diageo beer @ 4.3%
    - Yields a cost of €1.55 exVAT a pint, inc excise
    - €2.50 retail price, exVAT is €2.03
    - Profit to Wetherspoons is €0.48 gross, 31% profit

77% lower margin than an Irish publican

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Don't think this has been mentioned so far.

From a journal.ie article, on a pub in Coolock offering discounts (€3 pints) to customers on social welfare.

Seems like there's a consensus in the Fine Gael party as to what constitutes an irresponsible price.
    And it seems to be any price that offers consumers a fairer deal.

Common denominator alright from FG and their right wing partners Labour,appears to be that if you are on the dole you're not supposed to spend your money on smart phones and cheap beer. Far better off working up a sweat for nowt on jobsbridge or gateway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Here's my calculation on the breakdown of the cost of a pint.

€4.50 in a pub for a pint of Guinness, inc VAT

- Out of a maximum 88 pints, Revenue dictate you can get 84 pints from the keg.
    - €148.00 a keg exVAT. From what i'm reading, excise is INCLUDED in this exVAT price.
    - that yields a cost of €1.76 exVAT a pint.
    - €4.50 retail price, exVAT is €3.66
    - Profit to the publican is €1.90 gross, 108% profit

Wetherspoons:

€2.50 for a pint, inc VAT

- At an absolute stab in the dark, lets assume €130 for a keg of non Diageo beer @ 4.3%
    - Yields a cost of €1.55 exVAT a pint, inc excise
    - €2.50 retail price, exVAT is €2.03
    - Profit to Wetherspoons is €0.48 gross, 31% profit

77% lower margin than an Irish publican
    Excellent, laid out there easy for anyone to understand.

Cannot wait till they open more pubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    Common denominator alright from FG and their right wing partners Labour,appears to be that if you are on the dole you're not supposed to spend your money on smart phones and cheap beer. Far better off working up a sweat for nowt on jobsbridge or gateway.

If you are on social welfare you are not supposed to be able to afford alcohol and IPhones. Social welfare is supposed to assist people for simply keeping a roof over their heads and fed. Not to maintain a social life.

If you are on social welfare you are not supposed to be able to afford alcohol and IPhones. Social welfare is supposed to assist people for simply keeping a roof over their heads and fed. Not to maintain a social life.

I would argue that if you are on SW it is entirely up to oneself what you wish to spend your money on. I certainly would not want guidance from FG/FF/or LP.
    As for myself happily working away in my PS job.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I would argue that if you are on SW it is entirely up to oneself what you wish to spend your money on. I certainly would not want guidance from FG/FF/or LP.
    As for myself happily working away in my PS job.

The clue is in the benefit you are claiming, jobseekers allowance/benefit, child benefit, rent allowance etc

Maybe it should be a question on the application form

What do you think this benefit is for? Probably cut down on the number of claims

I can think of many people on all of those benefits that you describe who are well heeled with all mod cons. People may have these mod cons because of redundancies,civil/insurance claims,entitlements to fis or from winning on the lottery. No-ones business bar their own if they meet the qualifying criteria for collecting these benefits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Might have been posted already, but guess who is in this tacky photo sipping on champers while complaining about the proles having access to cheap pints?

http://c1.thejournal.ie/media/2014/12/life-6-390x516.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Might have been posted already, but guess who is in this tacky photo sipping on champers while complaining about the proles having access to cheap pints?

Oh Jesus some amount of gob****es in that picture.

*pukes all over laptop*

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

its for whatever the recipient decides its for. should be changed, but would cost to much to do so

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I can think of many people on all of those benefits that you describe who are well heeled with all mod cons. People may have these mod cons because of redundancies,civil/insurance claims,entitlements to fis or from winning on the lottery. No-ones business bar their own if they meet the qualifying criteria for collecting these benefits.

I'm sure they all told the truth on the forms...

its for whatever the recipient decides its for. should be changed, but would cost to much to do so

It will never change. The government are happy to keep it at current rates as the money will pumped back into the economy. The poor don't save money in most cases.

It really is unbelievable in this great lil country. While the plebs fight amongst themselves and divide each other over €3 pints, the great and the good live off unvouched and exhorbitant expenses and wages. Whilst family and friends are installed, promoted and co-opted onto quangoes and state bodies. For example Enda's neighbour.

The days of me being critical of someone doing nixers and claiming the dole for example are well past it best buy date as far as I'm concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,636 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

VinLieger wrote: »
    Im a constituent of hers who got in touch with her on previous issues before, haven't heard a peep back from her on this, If I dont after tomorrow i'm gonna go nuts on that contact form

My guess is you won't be hearing back from her as I reckon her inbox is likely flooded by now from drinkers both in her constituency and out of it emailing in to show their annoyance. That became pretty clear to me from just listening back to the Today FM interview and what she said on that which was all 'public health, think of the children and alcohol poisioning, etc, etc. During the interview she was also very very keen to point out that she wasn't on a campaign against Weatherspoons, she mentioned that a number of times and sounded under pressure to get that point across. Maybe because her inbox is full of angry emails from local constituents who like the Weatherspoons prices, beer and food because yesterday in the Indo article she was all about attacking Weatherspoons and there was barely a mention of public health.
    Citing the refusal of brewing giant Heineken to allow Wetherspoon to sell pints of its lager for less than €3 here, Deputy Mitchell O'Connor said this "welcome move accurately and strongly illustrates how below-cost selling is neither successful nor beneficial to the business community".

As a result of the row, Wetherspoon has stopped selling Heineken products at the chain's 931 UK pubs.

Deputy Mitchell O'Connor said her main concern is the availability of cheap alcohol - whether served in a pub or bought at a supermarket.

"It's not only threatening the livelihoods of local publicans but putting lives at stake," she said.

"Irish people are among the heaviest drinkers in Europe, and we have a particular issue with young people binge drinking. It is extremely important to counteract below-cost selling while still ensuring the continued success of businesses."

Yesterday the jist of her argument was that we had to protect publicans from below cost selling. We know the below cost selling thing is a red herring thrown by Mitchell O'Connor because Weatherspoons said all their products are sold at profit. So today on radio she shifts her position after she likely got hundreds of angry emails and suddenly its not about Weatherspoons anymore, its now all about thinking of the children and public health.

The mask slipped on her yesterday when she was bleating on about Weatherspoons to the Sindo, now she's trying to get minimum pricing in under some pseudo public health bollix. What a snake this TD truly is. We should all buy a 6 pack next Saturday and put on a drinking protest outside her constituency clinic !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

mikom wrote: »
    See what is happening here.
    Now remember this the next time a TD is chatting shite about the "absolute horrors" of cannabis.
    Follow the money and you will find lies from party politicians at the back of it.

To be fair, most of the time they only do that so they can play the part of "tough crusading TD against drugs" to the electorate. Rarely has much to do with the vintners association.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Muahahaha wrote: »
    My guess is you won't be hearing back from her as I reckon her inbox is likely flooded by now from drinkers both in her constituency and out of it emailing in to show their annoyance. That became pretty clear to me from just listening back to the Today FM interview and what she said on that which was all 'public health, think of the children and alcohol poisioning, etc, etc. During the interview she was also very very keen to point out that she wasn't on a campaign against Weatherspoons, she mentioned that a number of times and sounded under pressure to get that point across. Maybe because her inbox is full of angry emails from local constituents who like the Weatherspoons prices, beer and food because yesterday in the Indo article she was all about attacking Weatherspoons and there was barely a mention of public health.

Yesterday the jist of her argument was that we had to protect publicans from below cost selling. We know the below cost selling thing is a red herring thrown by Mitchell O'Connor because Weatherspoons said all their products are sold at profit. So today on radio she shifts her position after she likely got hundreds of angry emails and suddenly its not about Weatherspoons anymore, its now all about thinking of the children and public health.

The mask slipped on her yesterday when she was bleating on about Weatherspoons to the Sindo, now she's trying to get minimum pricing in under some pseudo public health bollix. What a snake this TD truly is. We should all buy a 6 pack next Saturday and put on a drinking protest outside her constituency clinic !

Listening to her I got the impression she was under a bit of pressure too, plenty of back tracking having so blatantly made it clear it was about preventing competitive pricing from entering the on trade. I still cant get my head around her logic that Wetherspoons, by not allowing themselves to be bullied by Heineken and Diageo and subsequently doing excellent business anyway, "accurately and strongly illustrates" a business which is 'unsuccessful'.

If anyone does decide to email her letting her know of your disapproval, Id really suggest sending a corresponding email to any Fine Gael TD in your constituency letting them know your disapproval too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Flex wrote: »
    If anyone does decide to email her letting her know of your disapproval, Id really suggest sending a corresponding email to any Fine Gael TD in your constituency letting them know your disapproval too.

No point to that since the useless piece of senile garbage that is Sean Barrett is the other FG TD for us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Muahahaha wrote: »
    We should all buy a 6 pack next Saturday and put on a drinking protest outside her constituency clinic !

This is the best idea I've heard in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Which one is she?

behind rosanna davison, beside barry egan...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

She's the middle one wearing red, beside that suck up to any celebrity wannabe. Looking closely I can't make out if she actually has a glass in her hand.

This is the best idea I've heard in years.

This could well be a protest that will finally unite all people across Ireland. Sensational idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

It really is unbelievable in this great lil country. While the plebs fight amongst themselves and divide each other over €3 pints, the great and the good live off unvouched and exhorbitant expenses and wages. Whilst family and friends are installed, promoted and co-opted onto quangoes and state bodies. For example Enda's neighbour.

The days of me being critical of someone doing nixers and claiming the dole for example are well past it best buy date as far as I'm concerned.

You will find this interesting..........

Advertisement