Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E2.50 pints should be outlawed, says FG TD

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

... outside of pubs that is !!!!

Oh sure the pub is a supervised and control environment. As a adult in you're own how that's a much different and unsafe situation ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Yes, because hazardous drinkers are well known for their rational economic behaviour. No chance whatsoever that problem drinkers will just cut back on expenditure elsewhere & drink the same amount as before. It's not as if any of them are addicts or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cork guitar player

FG/FF/Publicans just stop it already. Cannot stand the pub landlord types in this land. My staff have my sympathies, but the vintners fed can choke on their own swill, soon as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

FG/FF/Publicans just stop it already. Cannot stand the pub landlord types in this land. My staff have my sympathies, but the vintners fed can choke on their own swill, soon as possible.

I am tired of politicians with vested interests putting across things to suit certain agendas and then saying it is for our 'greater good' when it is not. Our politicians attitude to drink is an example in case. Some of the 'myths' about drink:

Ireland has a drink problem: rolled out every now and again on the current affairs TV are clips of youngsters falling all over the place out of their mind on drink. Then, switch to an interview where we see some politician say that this and that needs to be done. Now, while this certainly happens, that is just 1% of the drinking population and who knows what else apart from drink are these people on?? I as a moderate drinker should not have to pay or suffer for what these people do.

'Binge drinking': some crazy stuff here. Some define it as 3 or more standard drinks in 1 sitting. This would mean anyone who drinks. As that is 1 and a half pints as all! Real binge drinking are those who start drinking now with the rugby and are there all day drinking copious amounts until tonight.

'Alcohol causing problems': yes, there are problem drinkers and yes, there is such a thing of drinking too much. And yes, there are people who turn nasty when drinking and shouldn't be drinking. And yes, there are people who don't care about their work and come into work hungover. Again, I do not do any of the above and should not be punished for something I don't do. Absentee workers or those coming in unfit to work because of drink can be warned and if things don't improve, be replaced by the 1000s who would be willing to work and be responsible. Violent abusers often hide behind alcohol and the alcohol exascerbates an already nasty person whose irresponsibility allows him to drink to excess and be violent (in the home or on the streets, against a love one or friend or against someone on the street who just happened to be there). Such people should be dealt with like all criminals are.

Alcohol is for the most part an enjoyable way to relax at the weekends accompanied by other things like music, TV or a meal. It also finances sports and music events that bring revenue to our country. Also, the industry employs 1000s of people.

We do not want to gradually turn Ireland into post-1979 Iran where only the rich are allowed to legally drink alcohol or Saudi Arabia where only the royals can drink or Taliban Afghanistan or ISIS where no one can. Alcohol is a human right and all religions recognise the right to drink alcohol and also warn of the dangers of abuse of alcohol. Secular government should find other ways of dealing with abusers and not tar everyone with the same brush. Iran by the way lost 40% of its economic output due to stupid laws banning alcohol for the poor and by repressing the poor in many others ways (thus losing out on a huge tourist industry and wine industry that it was developing prior to 1979. The figurehead of the 1979 Iranian revolution was Ayatollah Khomeini, an ex alcoholic who consumed around 40 bottles a wine a week while he lived in France after his son died. The current figurehead leader of Iran Ali Khamenei is a depressed drug abuser who drinks cognac, Armenian brandy (legally made by Iranian Christians) and opium/heroin).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Ah here, FFS!!! More fecking stupid rules put about "for our own good" my shoite :rolleyes::confused:

I severly hope this wont be happening, as in most bars etc the prices are extortionate, it seems rare in a way to buy a drink/pint of your favourite drink for 5e or less aka a normal price for drink imho

These 2e/2.50/3e nights are amazing and a normal pricing, theyre not the price f drink every night in most places so tbh theyre nt exactly wasting money, and it also just goes to show how much profit some pubs are making if others can afford to make a profit on selling drink at 2/3e some nights in their establishment

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I hear the red wine they have in Lidl / Aldi for 3 or 4 euros is up there with the more expensive stuff in terms of taste. Its a shame that those who enjoy a glass with dinner will have to now fork out double, all in the name of stopping binge drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭elperello

In the United States some people refer to lotteries as "a tax on stupidity". By this they mean that anyone who hands over their money when the odds are so against them is stupid.

Over here we are going to be taxed for other peoples stupidity!

mzungu wrote: »
    I hear the red wine they have in Lidl / Aldi for 3 or 4 euros is up there with the more expensive stuff in terms of taste. Its a shame that those who enjoy a glass with dinner will have to now fork out double, all in the name of stopping binge drinking.

Exactly, Im having a glass of said red wine tonight, and it is my favourite of the wines, and it certainly is yummy - certainly doesnt taste like 4e :p:D:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I hear the red wine they have in Lidl / Aldi for 3 or 4 euros is up there with the more expensive stuff in terms of taste.

I'm not much of a red wine man, but Perlenbacher which is Lidl's "flagship" budget beer and is regularly retailed for about €1.10 (or less) per 500ml bottle is ridiculously nice. If it was more widely available outside Lidl I'd happily drink it more often, as there isn't a Lidl near me I tend to pick it up in town if I'm heading to a party.

Guinness Draught cans 8 for €10 or €12 are great as well - those who knock Guinness from a can as opposed to from a tap are, in my view, those who don't know how to work the widget. ;) If you let it sit for a second after opening before you pour, and roll the widget around a bit while forming the head, you can get a pint of Guinness indistinguishable from a pub pint.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Exactly, Im having a glass of said red wine tonight, and it is my favourite of the wines, and it certainly is yummy - certainly doesnt taste like 4e :p:D:)

I hear a lot of restaurants have it on their menus too, but it costs a lot more than 4e!

• Advertisement

Yeah, I thought that too, some bars serving it as Australian wine yadayada , for about 16e :eek:

Once the price goes up in Lidl you can be quite sure that 16 will quickly turn to 20 .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I'm not much of a red wine man, but Perlenbacher which is Lidl's "flagship" budget beer and is regularly retailed for about €1.10 (or less) per 500ml bottle is ridiculously nice. If it was more widely available outside Lidl I'd happily drink it more often, as there isn't a Lidl near me I tend to pick it up in town if I'm heading to a party.

Guinness Draught cans 8 for €10 or €12 are great as well - those who knock Guinness from a can as opposed to from a tap are, in my view, those who don't know how to work the widget. ;) If you let it sit for a second after opening before you pour, and roll the widget around a bit while forming the head, you can get a pint of Guinness indistinguishable from a pub pint.

They were doing eight bottles of Perlenbacher for €7.29 in my local Lidl about two weeks back. At €7.29 for 6 it's still value. Good to see grown men and women (myself included) carrying the contents of a small brewery up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Ndiyo mzungu. Sema Kiswahili?

Hakuna swahili. Kidogo i alijua ni muda mrefu wamesahau! Google kutafsiri njia yote:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Hakuna swahili. Kidogo i alijua ni muda mrefu wamesahau! Google kutafsiri njia yote:pac:

Ha ha asante sana rafiki. Your username is a swahili word so I thought you spoke it. Do you know what it means in swahili?

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Ha ha asante sana rafiki. Your username is a swahili word so I thought you spoke it. Do you know what it means in swahili?

Sure do, its a term for us whiteys....and indeed all westerners in general !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Exactly.

During boom times there was a problem - of public excess.

Now, in times of less, the drinking excess is at home.

Same excess, different location.

But, addiction and alcohol abuse has never, to my knowledge, been dependent on low price of alcohol.

If that were the case, the incredible excess evident in Scandinavia, where alcohol is hugely expensive, would not exist.

I'd like to see these studies so often referenced, which prove a link to low price and an increase in excess.

Anyone got a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Whats it called?

They were doing eight bottles of Perlenbacher for €7.29 in my local Lidl about two weeks back. At €7.29 for 6 it's still value. Good to see grown men and women (myself included) carrying the contents of a small brewery up the road.

Yes that Perlenbacher is great tack but you can say auf wiedersehen to those special offers if the current minimum price bill comes in.

An unholy alliance of doctors, publicans, off licence owners and politicians are aiming to drive competition out of the drinks market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

So, after 4 months, I finally got an response from Mary Mitchell O'Connor. What was it, I hear you ask? A letter explaining her position or an explanation why she is choosing to ignore the wishes of her constituents to frequent reasonably priced and responsibly run establishments or something of that ilk?

Nope. Her office have sent me an email of acknowledgement that my initial correspondence was received in February and that she will be giving it her attention at the earliest opportunity.
    Why bother? At least it wont matter after she fails to get re-elected!

She really can fcuk right off with this, just another charge/put up of prices to benefit government etc and rip up all off, Fcuk no!!!

syklops wrote: »
    Whats it called?

Baron Saint Jean :)

So, after 4 months, I finally got an response from Mary Mitchell O'Connor. What was it, I hear you ask? A letter explaining her position or an explanation why she is choosing to ignore the wishes of her constituents to frequent reasonably priced and responsibly run establishments or something of that ilk?

Nope. Her office have sent me an email of acknowledgement that my initial correspondence was received in February and that she will be giving it her attention at the earliest opportunity.
    Why bother? At least it wont matter after she fails to get re-elected!

Typical politician. Say a stupid statement and then try to wiggle out of it. Putting up the price of drink because someone else misbehaves after it is totally unfair. Why not treble the price of baseball bats and knives while we're at it!

Tune in to Dr Varadkar at about 10.45 into this link on the Ray Darcy show last Thursday.

http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A20791681%3A19148%3A04%2D06%2D2015%3A

He clearly sees the Alcohol Bill as part of his legacy. Something he thinks he will be remembered for, even though our health service is riddled with seemingly insoluble problems.

elperello wrote: »
    Tune in to Dr Varadkar at about 10.45 into this link on the Ray Darcy show last Thursday.

http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A20791681%3A19148%3A04%2D06%2D2015%3A

He clearly sees the Alcohol Bill as part of his legacy. Something he thinks he will be remembered for, even though our health service is riddled with seemingly insoluble problems.

The Blind Doctor!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Baron Saint Jean :)

Ive had it, its nice.

Advertisement