Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E2.50 pints should be outlawed, says FG TD

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

PLL wrote: »
    Much like the Wetherspoons in England, I'd say the cheap prices will attract a cheap crowd too.

The Wetherspoons in the UK vary widely in how rough they are. Some are very rough, some aren't at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

It's kind of pointless her coming out with this clap-trap, it wouldn't be allowed under European law. There used to be a minimum price on cigarettes here but that had to be scrapped thanks to the EU.

Who is she trying to impress here? It's quite politically stupid of her to risk alienating the general public in favour of a few publicans, all by pushing a proposal that cannot be implemented anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I think Weatherspoons should set up shop in the Dail!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Joekers

HIB wrote: »
    I don't really see the supermarkets as a problem, but I think wetherspoons could be a problem for the Ireland tourism 'brand'.

You're right that they are competing in the same space as independently run pubs, and with their large buying power, they are sure to win a lot of these battles. So, we will end up with less independently run pubs and more wetherspoons or chain pubs.

I'd worry that 'chain pubs' aren't very attractive to tourists, in the same way that chain restaurants aren't very attractive. I suppose the cities could safely handle a few wetherspoons, but my fear would be that they will grow and grow, swallowing up the competition until independent pubs are in the minority.

From a purely selfish point of view though, I'm looking forward to the cheap pints!

Thing is though with Weatherspoons a lot of their pubs in England can be very different from one to another, you wouldn't walk into them and know straight away you're in a Weatherspoons pub especially if you're coming from America or Europe not in the same way you see a McDonalds or Burger King

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

She's obviously the latest pawn for the cartel that is the vintners association.
    If wetherspoons can sell for that price and still make a profit, how is it below cost?

You haven't a clue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,750 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Dave147 wrote: »
    You haven't a clue.

I think they are exactly right, the vintner's are flooding lobbyists with cash recently to try and kill Wetherspoons Irish expansion and this is just a blatant example of that.

And unless you have verifiable facts and figures proving they are selling below cost your opinion means squat

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Dave147 wrote: »
    You haven't a clue.

Really? My Phd in economics says otherwise but clearly I've been wrong and will endeavour to consult with you before any future comments.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Cathy.C wrote: »

Just a few weeks back for example, I witnessed the largest queue outside a pub that I had ever seen in Dublin. Was on Harcourt St on Tuesday or Wednesday night, it was seven or eight deep and ran down as far as Stephen's Green and even around the corner almost as far as Wexford St. You'd swear a concert was taking place but turned out that Dicey Reillys had arranged a night of drinks for just €2, no doubt advertised on Facebook.

This is only happening purely because there is an event made around "Cheaper Prices." As in it's more than half the price of what has become considered "normal." Which creates somewhat of a rush on it. If normal prices were lower, the "Cheaper Prices" would be less of an event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

I'm sure I'm not the only one that enters her constituency to enjoy the large range of beer that Wetherspoon's sell and use the local services such as Dart/bus/taxi and then sometimes eat in the dining establishments there and even pop into O'Donoghues in Blackrock for a couple after The Three Tun. Mitchell can't be the smartest of cookies if she wants to drive trade away from her constituency.

Someone posted earlier that they backed Fine Gaels stance due to Wetherspoons cancelling their contract with Heineken/Murphys. To that person...did you even check out why or just react to the headline? Heineken refused to supply the Forty Foot in Dun Laoghaire if Wetherspoon's were going to undercut the Vintners Association pubs. I am personally delighted for Heineken losing out as a result to trying to keep prices artificially high at a big cost to us the consumer. Their bully boy tactics backfired in a dramatic fashion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

traprunner wrote: »
    Heineken refused to supply the Forty Foot in Dun Laoghaire if Wetherspoon's were going to undercut the Vintners Association pubs. I am personally delighted for Heineken losing out as a result to trying to keep prices artificially high at a big cost to us the consumer. Their bully boy tactics backfired in a dramatic fashion.

Actually Heineken Ireland demanded that they had a minimum annual stock order. Wetherspoons asked why (or more likely, are you f'in joking)? we have never had to do that in any of are other establishments that Heineken is served and Heineken said these are the rules. So Wetherspoons quite rightly told them to take a run and jump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,933 ✭✭✭dodzy

Binge drinking is defined by 3-4 pints in one sitting.
    That's me f**ked so.

I saw Olivia over Christmas enjoying a few drinks in the Shelbourne. Surely 2.50 to someone on minimum wage is a higher proportion of income than 6 euro plus to someone pulling in over 150k.

Perhaps TD's and other high earners should also be made to pay more per drink, we wouldn't want them overindulging after all..

CramCycle wrote: »
    Actually Heineken Ireland demanded that they had a minimum annual stock order. Wetherspoons asked why (or more likely, are you f'in joking)? we have never had to do that in any of are other establishments that Heineken is served and Heineken said these are the rules. So Wetherspoons quite rightly told them to take a run and jump.

I would love to have been in the room when the boss of Heineken UK found out about that one :P

Well turns out Henieken UK reached a deal with them to serve it in the UK again but it still wont be served here.

http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/wetherspoon-pubs-heineken-ireland-1864650-Jan2015/

My guess is they are still claiming they want to maintain its image as a "premium " brand, ie continue ripping us off even though it is available for much cheaper just across the border and irish sea

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

VinLieger wrote: »
    Well turns out Henieken UK reached a deal with them to serve it in the UK again but it still wont be served here.

http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/wetherspoon-pubs-heineken-ireland-1864650-Jan2015/

My guess is they are still claiming they want to maintain its image as a "premium " brand, ie continue ripping us off even though it is available for much cheaper just across the border and irish sea
    Remember all the British retailers call Ireland "treasure island" due to unnecessary mark ups they were able to charge customers here. We are known as a ripoffable nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

What a joke of a country this is in relation to prices of Alcohol and Minerals in the pub.

Its ok for Heineken to be sold in the pub for cheap in the UK but it should be expensive over here :mad: how is that fair?

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Once again this government shows how out of touch or dont give a damm (you decide) about the people of this country. Before christmas it was Simon Coveny say he was going to ban cut price vegitables in supermarkets i.e. lidil and aldi to protect us from binge eating healthy food. This government is all take and no give. They are only concerened about making the a good impression of themselves for getting apointed to a position in europe with a big penision after they fail to get re elected here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

The VFI has always been a disgraceful cartel. If they want to challenge binge drinking then they could start by putting a price ceiling on soft drinks in pubs and ensure water is free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Oh just f.uck right off. They leave us with nothing. It's not the cheap drinkers that cause problems in our society. Ever see the yokes that spill out onto the streets when nightclubs close? The fights and antisocial behaviour? Those people have not been drinking 2.50 pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

People binge drinking don't go to pubs to do it.

The buy a crate of beer for 15 quid and drink at home. Minimum pricing will have no effect on pub prices.

As someone already pointed out, a good friend of hers (directly quoted herself as saying a good friend) is a publican so she isn't someone who is neutral on the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Caliden wrote: »
    Minimum pricing will have no effect on pub prices.
    It will have an effect if the minimum prices are higher than what Wetherspoons are charging.

Which I'd imagine is the whole reason for the TD's suggestion.

osarusan wrote: »
    It will have an effect if the minimum prices are higher than what Wetherspoons are charging.

If that was the case it would obliterate the off licence trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

osarusan wrote: »

exactly. the publicans are running scared of wetherspoons so are using their many political contacts to try and stifle them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

If that was the case it would obliterate the off licence trade.

Indeed, taxes now account for nearly 65% of the price of drinks in the off trade as is. Presumably there would be means at their disposal if they choose to do so, specifically stating licensed premises cant sell drinks for under a certain amount or something. Its very frustrating feeling ripped off by the government via taxes in the off trade and now hearing a TD come out saying they want to facilitate rip off merchants in the on trade and prevent competition via minimum pricing (because ordinary people have zero self control or inhibition)

Flex wrote: »
    Indeed, taxes now account for nearly 65% of the price of drinks in the off trade as is. Presumably there would be means at their disposal if they choose to do so, specifically stating licensed premises cant sell drinks for under a certain amount or something. Its very frustrating feeling ripped off by the government via taxes in the off trade and now hearing a TD come out saying they want to facilitate rip off merchants in the on trade and prevent competition via minimum pricing (because ordinary people have zero self control or inhibition)

Also heaven forbid should a publican take responsibility for it's customers and stop serving someone that's clearly intoxicated.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Also heaven forbid should a publican take responsibility for it's customers and stop serving someone that's clearly intoxicated.

I was a barman for almost 15 years. It was always drilled into me, if someone has had enough it is your job to refuse them, what happened in the last 10 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The sooner these **** are kicked out of the dail, the better.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

I have a great idea to curb binge drinking.

1: All soft drinks prices will be capped at a max of €1 in pubs
    2: Impose massive fines for any pub serving someone more than 4 pints in a night.

I'm sure all the concerned TDs and publicans will back these simple ideas immediately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

See what is happening here.
    Now remember this the next time a TD is chatting shite about the "absolute horrors" of cannabis.
    Follow the money and you will find lies from party politicians at the back of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

I have a great idea to curb binge drinking.

1: All soft drinks prices will be capped at a max of €1 in pubs
    2: Impose massive fines for any pub serving someone more than 4 pints in a night.

I'm sure all the concerned TDs and publicans will back these simple ideas immediately

hold on now. where did you pluck 4 pints out of? we're not all lightweights

Advertisement