Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E2.50 pints should be outlawed, says FG TD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

CramCycle wrote: »
    I was a barman for almost 15 years. It was always drilled into me, if someone has had enough it is your job to refuse them, what happened in the last 10 years?
    what happened is that people realized its not worth the grief and that people are responsible for themselves. if your stupid enough to drink to much thats your hard luck

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Does anyone have a proper break down of what the government actually takes from say a €4.50 pint?

Some figures have been posted earlier but they made no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Does anyone have a proper break down of what the government actually takes from say a €4.50 pint?

http://www.jar.ie/article/the-price-of-a-pint-in-ireland

a lot less in duty than i thought

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Beano wrote: »

Overall it's still 1.60 in taxes though. Per pint...

Overall it's still 1.60 in taxes though. Per pint...

but most of that is VAT. which is dependent on the price that the publican charges. the duty cost is fixed per pint.

• Advertisement

the breakdown for the UK is interesting though. http://ale.gd/blog/2014/05/who-gets-how-much-of-your-beer/

the excise duty is similar. the vat is slightly lower. The cost to the publican though seems to be a lot less.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

hold on now. where did you pluck 4 pints out of? we're not all lightweights

I presume he is taking the piss out of the politicians, the government release or refer to facts like defining "binge drinking" as being as low as 3 drinks in a row. So I wondered how much binge drinking went on in the dail bar.

rubadub wrote: »
    I presume he is taking the piss out of the politicians, the government release or refer to facts like defining "binge drinking" as 3 drinks in a row. So I wondered how much binge drinking went on in the dail bar.

i'd certainly hope he was taking the piss. :D

unless it is 4 pints of Rochefort 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

hold on now. where did you pluck 4 pints out of? we're not all lightweights

Anything more than three pints is a binge drinking session according to our own government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

The cost to the publican though seems to be a lot less.

Surely the big brewers wouldn't see Ireland as an easy touch for profits with a compliant population and pro-monopoly politicians?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

the breakdown for the UK is interesting though. http://ale.gd/blog/2014/05/who-gets-how-much-of-your-beer/

the excise duty is similar. the vat is slightly lower. The cost to the publican though seems to be a lot less.

Distributor/brewery seem to get a significantly smaller share in the UK when compared to here (33% roughly here), which would explain the publicans larger cut in the U.K.

anncoates wrote: »
    Surely the big brewers wouldn't see Ireland as an easy touch for profits with a compliant population and pro-monopoly politicians?

*faints*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Even that makes no sense.

VAT at 23% of a €4.67 pint is €0.87, not €0.95.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,138 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

4.50 pint of 4.2% beer.

4.50 less 23% VAT = 3.66

So 84 cent VAT.

The excise duty is 22.55 per HL per %

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/excise/duties/excise-duty-rates.html

So that's 22.55 cent per litre per %.

So 53.68 cent.

The State take 84 + 53.68 = 1.38 of a 4.50 pint

That's 30%.

Even that makes no sense.

VAT at 23% of a €4.67 pint is €0.87, not €0.95.

well spotted. i cant see where he is getting 95c from at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,138 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Interesting.

The brewer gets as little as 42p per pint, or 37 stg per keg, that's about under 50 euro per keg.

Add duty and the price is 86p or 75.68stg per keg, that's under 100 per keg.

Kegs here in RoI are way more, I think.

NB: this seems to exclude delivery to the pub.

Geuze wrote: »
    Interesting.

The brewer gets as little as 42p per pint, or 37 stg per keg, that's about under 50 euro per keg.

Add duty and the price is 86p or 75.68stg per keg, that's under 100 per keg.

Kegs here in RoI are way more, I think.

NB: this seems to exclude delivery to the pub.

presumably that is what the 18p for the distributor is for

• Registered Users Posts: 16,369 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

If any of ye are near a radio Whiney Mary is on Today FM now.

If any of ye are near a radio Whiney Mary is on Today FM now.

Is it just me or is she having remarkable trouble putting sentences together for a public representative? All I'm hearing is the usual "we have to think of public health, think of the children" nonsense.

I don't disagree that alcohol consumption is a huge health problem in this country, but this is not the way to do it. Educating might not be a bad start though.

stankratz wrote: »
    Is it just me or is she having remarkable trouble putting sentences together for a public representative? All I'm hearing is the usual "we have to think of public health, think of the children" nonsense.

I don't disagree that alcohol consumption is a huge health problem in this country, but this is not the way to do it. Educating might not be a bad start though.

She didn't want to spend long talking about the Dail Bar I noticed.

"Looking after our people" was how she put it, how patronising!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

stankratz wrote: »

She's objectively thick.

Couldn't even drive to work without making a fool of herself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

She's objectively thick.

Just the way the lobbyists like them.

Thought the guy from Wetherspoons that was being interviewed came across very well, he had no problem answering any questions and when he quite reasonably pointed out that there was no trouble or problems with drunks in their pubs across the water yer wan lived up to her Miss Piggy nickname and gave him an ignorant reply "I'm only interested in Ireland".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,235 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I have a great idea to curb binge drinking.

1: All soft drinks prices will be capped at a max of €1 in pubs
    2: Impose massive fines for any pub serving someone more than 4 pints in a night.

I'm sure all the concerned TDs and publicans will back these simple ideas immediately
    Would the TD's also scrap the Dail Bar as an example to the population that drink isn't ingrained into Irish social life?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Having heard her on the radio I had to email her, and then the Fine Gael TD in my constituency telling them Ive defended Fine Gael a great deal, but am fed up now. The last few months has just been mishap after mishap after mishap. Now they just seem to be in a panic and trying to court publicans and social conservatives (is that their traditional 'core vote'?) by stamping their authority on peoples social lives and have chosen to do so via drinks. Gouging via excise tax in the off trade and now voicing their displeasure that people might be able to get reasonable prices in the on trade, because people are only meant to enjoy a drink if its at the local pub reverentially sipping a €6 pint of Guinness while fawning over the publican as they go deaf from the music.

The fact they try justify it with the arrogant "youre a nation of drunks and need us to beat you over head about this" makes it all the more antagonising, especially as it doesnt stand up to facts on consumption. Its just a lazy tired lie. Cant understand their reasoning for doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Flex wrote: »
    Having heard her on the radio I had to email her, and then the Fine Gael TD in my constituency telling them Ive defended Fine Gael a great deal, but am fed up now. The last few months has just been mishap after mishap after mishap. Now they just seem to be in a panic and trying to court publicans and social conservatives (is that their traditional 'core vote'?) by stamping their authority on peoples social lives and have chosen to do so via drinks. Gouging via excise tax in the off trade and now voicing their displeasure that people might be able to get reasonable prices in the on trade, because people are only meant to enjoy a drink if its at the local pub reverentially sipping a €6 pint of Guinness while fawning over the publican as they go deaf from the music.

The fact they try justify it with the arrogant "youre a nation of drunks and need us to beat you over head about this" makes it all the more antagonising, especially as it doesnt stand up to facts on consumption. Its just a lazy tired lie. Cant understand their reasoning for doing this.

Let us know the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,845 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

send her a link to this thread so she can gauge the public's response!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

dan1895 wrote: »
    Let us know the reply.

Im a constituent of hers who got in touch with her on previous issues before, haven't heard a peep back from her on this, If I dont after tomorrow i'm gonna go nuts on that contact form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Flex wrote: »

Don't forget the hookers. They're banning the purchase of sex completely based on advice from religious groups, led by a group famous for their laundries, in order to "protect" the exploited.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Cienciano wrote: »
    Would the TD's also scrap the Dail Bar as an example to the population that drink isn't ingrained into Irish social life?

It's also cheaper than any of the surrounding bars which presumably constitutes 'below cost' selling.

Advertisement