Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 brides!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

best of luck with the baby planning Neyite ..Ye are dead right to do what ye feel is important...

Your never alone Sinead with boards haha I must say after spending a lot of time on this forum last year people are very helpfull and theres the freedom you can let it all out.....

And so true someone will be bound to find something to moan about.. I just loved the Oh sure why didnt ye do this, after ours.. even though as said it was a relaxed affiar for guests and for himself but for me i just felt ahhh Im A celebrity get me out of here!!!

I love the idea of having a wedding and just not telling everyone, invite people with the premise they are going to a party of something and then surprise..No pressure on anyone....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

The shop phoned me this evening to say my dress arrived today.... (AGHHHHHH... Deep breaths) gonna go try it on saturday week. Knew it was coming soon,but nearly died when I got the call!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 The_Stranger

Collected my dress today! It was fantastic getting to see it and try it on again. I had forgotten so much about the detail on it. Also 5 months to go today! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

First dress appointment on Friday
    (Bet y'all are sweating at me starting looking 6 months before the wedding :pac: )

Took all advice on board and am going to look at the dresses that fit me now. Praying they have The Dress when I get there (on sale) so I can move on to our final item - the suits!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

First wedding of the season and its great to be back in Ballymagarvey Village. I really had forgotten what a lovely venue this is. If anyone is here this year, I am guessing it really will be a magical day!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    First dress appointment on Friday
    (Bet y'all are sweating at me starting looking 6 months before the wedding :pac: )

I have 5 weeks to go and my dress hasn't been delivered yet. I have never even tried it on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

First wedding of the season and its great to be back in Ballymagarvey Village. I really had forgotten what a lovely venue this is. If anyone is here this year, I am guessing it really will be a magical day!!!

One of my best friends just booked BMV for Nov next year - very excited to see the place in person as anything I've seen online looks amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

ElleEm wrote: »
    I have 5 weeks to go and my dress hasn't been delivered yet. I have never even tried it on!

Wow, are you not up the walls? I couldn't cope with that lol.

Don't stress you have loads of time for the dress. A lot don't come in until the week beforehand.. I got my own 2 days before the big day

Milly33 wrote: »
    Don't stress you have loads of time for the dress. A lot don't come in until the week beforehand.. I got my own 2 days before the big day

I'd actually die.
    Im looking at the sample dresses so if I do find one, itll be coming home with me. How long would it take a dressmaker to do alterations do you know? I obviously don't know how much weight I will lose before the big day but I imagine there is a cutoff point that Ill need to consider. If I only lost 1lb between now and the wedding Ill have dropped 2 dress sizes and I'm losing 2-3 per week at the minute!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You can space them out as much as you like. Many people get the first fitting 3 months in advance. Some wait until 8 weeks before. I got all 3 fittings done in a week out of necessity :)

Faith wrote: »
    You can space them out as much as you like. Many people get the first fitting 3 months in advance. Some wait until 8 weeks before. I got all 3 fittings done in a week out of necessity :)

Oh 8 weeks isn't too bad. I was just thinking I hope it's not miles beforehand that I could end up losing another stone and having no time to get it altered again. My dressmaker lives a 2 minute walk from the house so I'll pop into her once we score a dress and see what she thinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I'm 5 months away and I don't know what I'll wear :pac:

I'm 5 months away and I don't know what I'll wear :pac:

I was spotting tons of bridesmaid dresses that I loved and was starting to think I'd just order three, two in gold and one in white for myself :pac:

I won't be wearing a wedding dress anyway, I'm sure I'll find something I like in the meantime :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Shashabear I'm not sure where you're based but smart brides in portlaoise have a large section of sample dresses for sale. The most expensive one is 800. They'll hold it for a month.
    I heard the bridal outlet in baldoyle have a sale room but I haven't been there

Shashabear I'm not sure where you're based but smart brides in portlaoise have a large section of sample dresses for sale. The most expensive one is 800. They'll hold it for a month.
    I heard the bridal outlet in baldoyle have a sale room but I haven't been there

Based in Monaghan but I have a very lovely OH that doesn't mind hauling ass for a bargain ;)
    Thanks so much for letting me know - that is definitely my second visit!

You don't have to go for the typical dress if you don't want to.. Is it Folkstone do loverly fancy dresses but they wouldn't be the typical bridal style.... Or maybe call to a dressmaker get one made...

Alterations I think just depends on how busy the dressmaker is at the time. Might be handy to find out whos best close to you and ring and ask.. I know my chap had like the most of my own made in a week... Or just ask in the bridal shop if you find the dress there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Milly33 wrote: »
    You don't have to go for the typical dress if you don't want to.. Is it Folkstone do loverly fancy dresses but they wouldn't be the typical bridal style.... Or maybe call to a dressmaker get one made...

Alterations I think just depends on how busy the dressmaker is at the time. Might be handy to find out whos best close to you and ring and ask.. I know my chap had like the most of my own made in a week... Or just ask in the bridal shop if you find the dress there..

Folkster - they're in Dublin and Kilkenny, but I think their bridal is Kilkenny only.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

If you can find a good dressmaker/seamstress rather than an "alterations" place, they'll likely be able to do more and I'd feel safer with something important. If you contact a few around your area and tell them what you're looking for and tell them the time of year you'll be looking at they'll give you a timetable.

• Advertisement

I won't be wearing a wedding dress anyway, I'm sure I'll find something I like in the meantime :)

Have you had a look at folkstone they had some loverly dresses, or Verso also

Folkster, pass the window everyday going to work :pac: And I have verso on my instagram. I might not be ready to shop but I have it all on my radar :D

So no luck today, unfortunately! Only had 4 within budget and only one I really liked. It was utterly gorgeous and very flattering but it didn't really feel like "the" dress to me.

Ah shame but it does take a while..I am sure youll find the one soon

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭emzibob

this day next week I'll be married!!! eek!!!

Shashabear just a word of advise if buying a sample check out a good seamstress near you as the shop I bought mine in recommended two to me one was a wrong number the other asked me to bring the dress into the shop and when I got there she had gone home ( I only got off the phone with her 10 mins earlier)

I am finally not a dressless bride!!!!!!!!!!!
    What an emotional experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

Having a nightmare with our venue last minute. Does anyone else find the admin and dealing with stupid queries ruins all the fun?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I am finally not a dressless bride!!!!!!!!!!!
    What an emotional experience!

Show us :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Having a nightmare with our venue last minute. Does anyone else find the admin and dealing with stupid queries ruins all the fun?

I was totally unprepared for our last meeting with the wedding coordinator at the hotel. She wanted to know things we had never considered, like what exact time we'd be arriving at the hotel so they could be waiting for us. I was like "Uhhh.... the ceremony is at 2... so sometime after that? Probably before 5, if that helps?".

It was definitely stressful!

• Advertisement

Neyite wrote: »
    Show us :D

I have a picture of it on a mannequin and that's it. The model picture actually ruins it as she wears it loose! I'll pop it up later this evening for 5 minutes so my partner doesn't see it! :pac:

Advertisement