Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 brides!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

I really don't know about that! The band we ended up falling in love with was about €500 over projected budget, and at €2300 the dress is nearly €1000 more than I'd anticipated paying in my own head :( so I guess it's time to start playing the lotto :P

Dresses are expensive but there's a reason as there's so much work goes into them. I would have said 2500 was an average budget for a dress. You can get them for less but there's a lot more higher end designers available in Ireland which pushes up the average.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Dresses are expensive but there's a reason as there's so much work goes into them. I would have said 2500 was an average budget for a dress. You can get them for less but there's a lot more higher end designers available in Ireland which pushes up the average.

2500???
    Ouch :(

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    2500???
    Ouch :(

Depends on priorities. Some brides are happy to spend a lot more. I paid 2200 and had a budget of 3800 so felt it was a great saving for me. I love my dress and can't wait to wear it. I feel I've also paid for a year of excitement as well as the day wearing it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

Its very hard to get a good dress for anything close to a grand unless you go preowned. I paid 1950 and it has gone up in price since.

Depends on priorities. Some brides are happy to spend a lot more. I paid 2200 and had a budget of 3800 so felt it was a great saving for me. I love my dress and can't wait to wear it. I feel I've also paid for a year of excitement as well as the day wearing it

Don't get me wrong, I've seen dresses I would consider ideal in that price bracket, but unfortunately for me the dress is one of the things I feel I have to cut corners on to make up for the rest of it! Luckily I'm not a dress sort of girl and am more excited about the party/food/dancing. A large part of our budget is actually going on the honeymoon - I'l bet there's people that are rightfully shocked at how much I am willing to pay for that!

• Advertisement

Don't get me wrong, I've seen dresses I would consider ideal in that price bracket, but unfortunately for me the dress is one of the things I feel I have to cut corners on to make up for the rest of it! Luckily I'm not a dress sort of girl and am more excited about the party/food/dancing. A large part of our budget is actually going on the honeymoon - I'l bet there's people that are rightfully shocked at how much I am willing to pay for that!

You're entitled to spend it however you want. Drives me mad when there are expectations. The honeymoon is your biggest priority and that's fine. We actually don't mind not having 5 star for honeymoon. We prefer to spend less on that. Hopefully I'll sell my dress after but if not that's ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

fits wrote: »
    Its very hard to get a good dress for anything close to a grand unless you go preowned. I paid 1950 and it has gone up in price since.

I did loads of looking online and the ones I liked were around 1600 new, which is what we had in our estimated budget.. I tried them on, and they were lovely, but I just didn't feel in them like I felt when I tried on the 2300 one.
    The shop I was in did have a very good payment plan, and we're shuffling around the budget.
    This first shop was mostly to see how much things I liked on were so we could reassess the budget situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

Wedding Dresses are so expensive! I got mine last week and it truly is my dream dress. I didn't start looking with a budget in mind as I didn't know how much they would be.
    Are there any October Brides out there??! How far along are you with planning!?

Is anybody going to the wedding & honeymoon show in Dublin next month? I hope to be able to go. It looks fun.

Wedding Dresses are so expensive! I got mine last week and it truly is my dream dress. I didn't start looking with a budget in mind as I didn't know how much they would be.
    Are there any October Brides out there??! How far along are you with planning!?

Is anybody going to the wedding & honeymoon show in Dublin next month? I hope to be able to go. It looks fun.

I've been to a couple of them and they aren't great in my opinion. Lots of people making you feel like you need to be skinnier /spend more money /need things you don't. Go with a friend and make sure to go for a drink after. I actually wish there was a decent one about as they are great in concept

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

My dress was €1300 as a practically unworn sample, and full price it was €1850. It looked like it cost multiples of that though. I tried on over a dozen dresses and none of them cost more than €2000 (without me specifying a budget) so you definitely don't have to spend a fortune if you don't want to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Are there any October Brides out there??!

We're October 13th! Have venue sorted, Band held for the date, Bridesmaids picked (Groom still trying to pick between too many friends :P ) and Wedding dress hunting has begun.

Faith wrote: »
    My dress was €1300 as a practically unworn sample, and full price it was €1850. It looked like it cost multiples of that though. I tried on over a dozen dresses and none of them cost more than €2000 (without me specifying a budget) so you definitely don't have to spend a fortune if you don't want to.

Sounds like you hit the jackpot with that!
    I didn't specify a budget either, and I think about 90% of dresses I tried on was well under the 2 grand mark, and I also tried on a gorgeous tea-length one for under €1000. I think the main thing is I've found a colour and shape that I like and I want to work with that at a few more shops and see what else is out there.

It's funny though how you can go in with one idea in your head of your dream dress and come out of your first visit with something different entirely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

I was absolutely delighted with my dress, probably the part of the wedding (apart from choice of groom haha) that I'm most happy about.
    It really was the perfect dress for me and it cost 1200 (plus approx 150 for tailoring) I bought off the rails already in my size so no waiting around for it to arrive etc. I didn't delibearately scrimp on the budget with my dress this was just ''the one'' so I bought it. From what I've seen there are beautiful options in all price ranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

had no intention of spending anything like the money it turned out dresses cost - the one I liked best was 2700! Plus alterations like... as it turns out because of the style I can get it made by a designer a friend has used (her dress was one of my faves ever) for hundreds less.

It seems mad money but if you are in for 1500 you might as well be in for 2300 to be happy with the dress. It'd be awful to spend the 1500 and not love the dress!

We're done now for the big things - venue, DJ, ceremony music, dress, registrar, notice appointment done (tho I need to send the forms on). Local florist lined up. There's not much else I can do for a few months so focused on stationery (we've no bridal party to outfit thankfully)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I won't be wearing a wedding dress, not my style at all, wouldn't feel comfortable! Might get a white and floral swing dress, or maybe a coloured top and a big white skirt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

My dress was a sample, perfect condition & only €700, 1450 to order! Such a bargain I bought a second dress for dancing, a messily €150! I absolutely adore both dresses & despite watching hours of say yes to the dress while on maternity I don't have any second thoughts! Ive spent just over 1k on both mine & 3 bridesmaids (debenhams on sale), they are as nice as anything I've seen at a wedding!

The dresses & a great package with the hotel are my main savings! Blowing the budget on photographer, cinematographer & entertainment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I did loads of looking online and the ones I liked were around 1600 new, which is what we had in our estimated budget.. I tried them on, and they were lovely, but I just didn't feel in them like I felt when I tried on the 2300 one.
    The shop I was in did have a very good payment plan, and we're shuffling around the budget.
    This first shop was mostly to see how much things I liked on were so we could reassess the budget situation.

Have you asked the shop is that the best price they can do? My mam asked and they immediatly knocked 10% off, thats a LOT! (Good haggling Mothers lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Exactly 1 year to my wedding!! Countdown is really on now!!

andreac wrote: »
    Exactly 1 year to my wedding!! Countdown is really on now!!

Exactly two weeks before mine :D

.... wait, we only have a year? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Exactly two weeks before mine :D

.... wait, we only have a year? :eek:

And 2 weeks after mine! OMG!! :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

1 year minus 3 weeks for me!

Had a dream last night I was in the hotel about to get ready and opened my case to realise I forgot my shoes and dress!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It's going to be the quickest year of your lives - enjoy it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

1 year minus 3 weeks for me!

Had a dream last night I was in the hotel about to get ready and opened my case to realise I forgot my shoes and dress!

Oh im having dreams already, dreamt my make up artist couldnt come as she had the wrong date and loads of other things. What will i be like next year when its really close :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭emzibob

just over 6 months to mine and I thought I was mad having those dreams haha phew

I'm six and a half months according to my countdown app. I'm starting to feel the weight pressure

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

My dress was pricey, but I've no regrets, it's amazing. Though I did book a really posh place for a laugh - it was fun trying on designer dresses that cost €10,000. Sure when else will you get to stick on a frock that costs more than the value of everything you possess, including cars?? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭emzibob

I'm six and a half months according to my countdown app. I'm starting to feel the weight pressure

Me too its so hard but with the clock ticking the pressure is definitely on :o

emzibob wrote: »
    Me too its so hard but with the clock ticking the pressure is definitely on :o

I can't seem to get motivated

Neyite wrote: »
    My dress was pricey, but I've no regrets, it's amazing. Though I did book a really posh place for a laugh - it was fun trying on designer dresses that cost €10,000. Sure when else will you get to stick on a frock that costs more than the value of everything you possess, including cars?? :pac:

I need to do this! :pac:

I need to do this! :pac:[/quote

Usually you have to pay a deposit to try on these dresses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Planning on making my own wedding cake. Was my sons 1st birthday on Wednesday so did a bit of a trial run with sponge recipe (top tier) & decorating (butter icing). Turned out great! Made 2 & just ate a slice from the second which hadn't been cut & it's delicious & still fresh. At least now I know I can do that 3days before the wedding now!

Advertisement