Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BDO 2015 World Championship

Options

Comments

Cake Man wrote: »
    I'm just curious but why do the BDO, knowing they wouldn't have the same popularity, coverage or draw the same crowds as the PDC have their championships at the same time as the PDC?
    Would they be not better off doing it another time of the year and secure all the coverage? I suppose the BDO usually have their sessions on during the day, PDC in the night?

BDO always had greater tv crowds, down to the whole BBC v Sky thing.

The two tournaments did not overlap before, PDC final a few days later this year, can't remember why.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Dekker looked really off and distracted in the last set, the 6 darts missed at double in the previous looked like it got to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

PDC final a few days later this year, can't remember why.

Not at all, it's scheduled for the same day every year, the day before I go back to work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

94.11 avg for Adams decent enough for a 1st round. Dont know what % checkout was.

Are Deta's darts spring loaded.

• Advertisement

Devastator wrote: »
    Ain't that the same ref who says "hooonded"?

Farce? What do you mean? Showing a repeat of bargain hunt on bbc is of utmost importance :rolleyes: joke!! Apparently BBC have 2 hours on bbc1 at 2:30

Better than that gravelly voiced guy on PDC in fairness.

152 checkout from Deta tasty stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Better than that gravelly voiced guy on PDC in fairness.

Ah come off it, Russ Bray is easily the best scorer.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭seoirsem

Ashton hits 156 check-out and Tony Green blurts out 'Just when you thought it was all over, we're still there!!!!!'. She's ahead in the match and ahead in the leg!???WTF

Ah come off it, Russ Bray is easily the best scorer.

Maybe but his voice is gank

• Advertisement

Entertaining game there from the women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Cake Man wrote: »
    I'm just curious but why do the BDO, knowing they wouldn't have the same popularity, coverage or draw the same crowds as the PDC have their championships at the same time as the PDC?
    Would they be not better off doing it another time of the year and secure all the coverage? I suppose the BDO usually have their sessions on during the day, PDC in the night?

BDO brass still consider themselves the only true darts organisation and think this 'coverage' is adequate enough for a world championship.

The two tournaments did not overlap before, PDC final a few days later this year, can't remember why.

last few years they've overlapped by few days.

Ya know the BBC's coverage really puts me off, its just has a whole stuck in the 80s theme to it from their dodgy match buildups, missing darts which are thrown, Tony Green(!),Bobby George,Murphy or Murray whatever ya call the 'presenter' to generally offering a pitiful amoun of live darts. I think if BTsport took it over they could really improve it and draw more interest in the tournament.

Sly sports have a couple of knobs doing commentery but apart from the 2 of them their overall coverage of darts is superb

BDO brass still consider themselves the only true darts organisation and think this 'coverage' is adequate enough for a world championship.

last few years they've overlapped by few days.

Ya know the BBC's coverage really puts me off, its just has a whole stuck in the 80s theme to it from their dodgy match buildups, missing darts which are thrown, Tony Green(!),Bobby George,Murphy or Murray whatever ya call the 'presenter' to generally offering a pitiful amoun of live darts. I think if BTsport took it over they could really improve it and draw more interest in the tournament.

Sly sports have a couple of knobs doing commentery but apart from the 2 of them their overall coverage of darts is superb

Ya at the Lakeside a few years ago and the most modern picture I saw of acts who appeared there was Hale and Pace. The whole place is stuck in the 80s, you could however get Curry and Chip on a plate, a pint and watch the darts. Lovely jubbly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

So BT Sport's coverage is largely the same as that of its predecessor ESPN UK - Ray Stubbs as host, a pretty lady as reporter, the same commentators as the BBC.

Which means, of course, that it's not much different to the Beeb's coverage. :o:o

This is the fifth consecutive BDO World Championship that Vassos Alexander has commentated on - and still he's like a rabbit in headlights. :o:o:o

Tony Green, meanwhile, is well past his prime now. Time for him to do the honourable thing and retire, I think.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭mike2084

To be fair I stopped watching the PDC semi when Taylor got on top and switched to the Mitchell-O'Shea game, glad I did :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

mike2084 wrote: »
    To be fair I stopped watching the PDC semi when Taylor got on top and switched to the Mitchell-O'Shea game, glad I did :-)

im not the standard is poor to be bluntly honest, ill watch it alright but it rreally doesn't have a patch on the PDC

So BT Sport's coverage is largely the same as that of its predecessor ESPN UK - Ray Stubbs as host, a pretty lady as reporter, the same commentators as the BBC.

Which means, of course, that it's not much different to the Beeb's coverage. :o:o

This is the fifth consecutive BDO World Championship that Vassos Alexander has commentated on - and still he's like a rabbit in headlights. :o:o:o

Tony Green, meanwhile, is well past his prime now. Time for him to do the honourable thing and retire, I think.

If BTsport had full coverage they would throw everything at it. The shows they put on for other sports are pretty good like beyond the octagon for ufc, balding has had some good guests on for interviews. They've got like all round sports show I think on Sat or Sun mornings which is good. They've various boxing shows on aswell. I think if they got more of the BDO or even maybe some PDC events in future then they'll really p their game.

BTsport is by far better than what espn had on before as a channel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

If BTsport had full coverage they would throw everything at it. The shows they put on for other sports are pretty good like beyond the octagon for ufc, balding has had some good guests on for interviews. They've got like all round sports show I think on Sat or Sun mornings which is good. They've various boxing shows on aswell. I think if they got more of the BDO or even maybe some PDC events in future then they'll really p their game.

BTsport is by far better than what espn had on before as a channel

And if they had full coverage, they would have their own commentary team.

...Which, come to think of it, would probably include Vassos, since he is one of their presenters. :o

(I'm sure he's a great guy, and a big darts fan too - but commentating on the sport is still something he needs to work on.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭sc86

94.11 avg for Adams decent enough for a 1st round. Dont know what % checkout was.

thats first 9 average is it not?
    thats normally what bdo use
    not overall average

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

robman60 wrote: »
    Great first set anyway, Adams looking fairly strong.

The difference between the crowds at BDO and PDC events is so noticeable. The BDO crowd actually seem to be interested in darts.

This just sums up BDO vs PDC. People have to point out aspects like the BDO's crowd to justify its existence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

MikeSD wrote: »
    ... BDO vs PDC....

Let's not go down that road, please and thanks :)

Lazarus2.0 wrote: »
    Let's not go down that road, please and thanks :)

yes MikeSD, please don't come into the darts forum for first time trying to start the boring old debate....which was requested in the very first line of the original post

• Registered Users Posts: 13,326 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

PDC v BDO thread is linked below if anyone wants to bump it up - probably best to keep all that stuff out of this thread and just discuss the lakeside tournament here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056847158

Most who folk like darts appreciate Bobby George but surely BBC need to get in better analysts. 'Luvely jubbly, well thrown san and you beat him up san', if it's not that he's on about the food at Lakeside.

Lovely guy and everything but seriously?

Most who folk like darts appreciate Bobby George but surely BBC need to get in better analysts. 'Luvely jubbly, well thrown san and you beat him up san', if it's not that he's on about the food at Lakeside.

Lovely guy and everything but seriously?

I know I might be on my own here.

But I actually like Bristow and George!

I agree that they add little in analysis, it's more just the aura about them. It's a bit like John Giles in football analysis. Lame, but he's earned the right to be heard.

each to their own but I can't stand listening to Bobby or Bristow

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

It's a pitty they don't have John Part on anymore doing commentary. I could even put up with Tony Green when they were together as John was so good to listen to.

I just find it hard to watch the BDO now after watching Sky for the last few weeks.

EB_2013 wrote: »
    It's a pitty they don't have John Part on anymore doing commentary. I could even put up with Tony Green when they were together as John was so good to listen to.

I just find it hard to watch the BDO now after watching Sky for the last few weeks.

John used to do commentary for the BDO Worlds after he left, I think when he started doing it for the PDC tournaments is where it ended, I say sky got him in on a deal, best comm in the game though imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

yes MikeSD, please don't come into the darts forum for first time trying to start the boring old debate....which was requested in the very first line of the original post

Well Robman60 had to bring up the PDC crowd....

• Advertisement

Has anyone heard Hankey yet? I've heard he's doing commentary for BT. Apparently he only missed on one ranking point of getting a qualifier spot at Lakeside. He didn't go to the cut off ranking event in Romania and got pipped out by a Dutch player called Van Horst.

Advertisement