Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheltenham Festival 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Gringo180 wrote: »
    More of That is my banker of the festival. 7/2 is an absolute steal.

Think that's a mad statement myself when the horse hasn't been at his best since last March.

If he's in the same form as last year he is a class above though. The doubts about that is why the price is so big.

Jonjo did get Iris's Gift to win it after one below his best prep run though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

Mullins has entered 77 horses for the four novice hurdle races.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

mdwexford wrote: »
    Think that's a mad statement myself when the horse hasn't been at his best since last March.

If he's in the same form as last year he is a class above though. The doubts about that is why the price is so big.

Jonjo did get Iris's Gift to win it after one below his best prep run though.

I dont think Iris's Gift ran in it that year although I could be wrong??

I think MOT is a bit special, won the World Hurdle on just his 5th start, he gave Annie Power 7lbs and a beating that was a phenomenal performance last year cant see anything that can get near him bar Rock On Ruby.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I dont think Iris's Gift ran in it that year although I could be wrong??

I think MOT is a bit special, won the World Hurdle on just his 5th start, he gave Annie Power 7lbs and a beating that was a phenomenal performance last year cant see anything that can get near him bar Rock On Ruby.

Oh he did, I was there that year and loaded on Baracouda. :(
    2004 Stayers.

Totally agree, this years run worries me greatly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

More of That is my banker of the festival. 7/2 is an absolute steal.

A horse who finished wrong after his seasonal appearance, hasn't been since and may have to go to the festival without a prep (he is a huge stamp of a horse) is your banker of the festival? 7/2 could turn out to be big but by no means is he a banker considering the issues he has had this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

40 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

lemush wrote: »
    A horse who finished wrong after his seasonal appearance, hasn't been since and may have to go to the festival without a prep (he is a huge stamp of a horse) is your banker of the festival? 7/2 could turn out to be big but by no means is he a banker considering the issues he has had this season.

Considering Annie Power will more than likely go to the Mares hurdle, I think it is a huge price on him. Connections have stated he is coming along fine after a small wind op. For whats its worth I think there is more improvement in him, just a 7yo with only 6 starts under his belt. Saphir Du Rheu will be 2nd fav for the race and he barely beat Reve De Sivola and he was getting 4lbs.

I have put up conygree at 50/1 before Stephens day and he as a novice is the best I have seen by a mile.

Speaking of long shots I've an ew bet on Irving in the Champion Hurdle. Joint fav for the Supreme for a long while last year, albeit he was disappointing, Fighting Fifth winner(where Arctic Fire was a well beaten behind) and pulled up against Faugheen with legitimate excuse last time. He's a very decent ew 40-1 shout.

Faugheen is far far too skinny for a horse who IMO hasn't really beaten much (I would include his Neptune win there too) at all. While he has won impressively what has he beaten? Also his habit of clipping and flattening hurdles could cause him problems. I cant have him at those prices.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Any thoughts on don Cossack for the gold cup lads? I wouldn't be as knowledgeable as the posters on here but he's a horse I always back so gonna have a small bet on him anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Don cossack is going the ryarair and would only be switched to the gc if road to riches doesnt make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

TheTorment wrote: »
    Speaking of long shots I've an ew bet on Irving in the Champion Hurdle. Joint fav for the Supreme for a long while last year, albeit he was disappointing, Fighting Fifth winner(where Arctic Fire was a well beaten behind) and pulled up against Faugheen with legitimate excuse last time. He's a very decent ew 40-1 shout.

Faugheen is far far too skinny for a horse who IMO hasn't really beaten much (I would include his Neptune win there too) at all. While he has won impressively what has he beaten? Also his habit of clipping and flattening hurdles could cause him problems. I cant have him at those prices.

Irving looked good in one race at Kempton which he hacked up. Most said he wouldn't handle Cheltenham and he was useless in the Supreme.

Faugheen outlapped him at his favorite course i can only imagine what he will do to him at Cheltenham.

Out of curiosity what was the excuse last time?

Fair play to you i have done a few mad bets myself but i think Irving is more likely to pull up than get close to being placed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Faugheen hasn't clipped or flattened any hurdles this season. And while he hadn't beaten top Gr1 horses he has walloped absolutely everything he's met including the classy Vaseur Lido at Punchestown last season. Also, he's not facing proper Gr1 animals because Mullins does not want him beating the Fly. Like UDS and those who were bashing his form up until last week, sometimes you've just got to believe your eyes, regardless of opposition. Faugheen, alongside UDS, is the best horse in training IMO and will prove so once given the chance.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Irving looked good in one race at Kempton which he hacked up. Most said he wouldn't handle Cheltenham and he was useless in the Supreme.

Faugheen outlapped him at his favorite course i can only imagine what he will do to him at Cheltenham.

Out of curiosity what was the excuse last time?

Fair play to you i have done a few mad bets myself but i think Irving is more likely to pull up than get close to being placed.
    Apparently he had an abscess on his foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

jimjamcos wrote: »
    Faugheen hasn't clipped or flattened any hurdles this season. And while he hadn't beaten top Gr1 horses he has walloped absolutely everything he's met including the classy Vaseur Lido at Punchestown last season. Also, he's not facing proper Gr1 animals because Mullins does not want him beating the Fly. Like UDS and those who were bashing his form up until last week, sometimes you've just got to believe your eyes, regardless of opposition. Faugheen, alongside UDS, is the best horse in training IMO and will prove so once given the chance.

Ye bar the last at Kempton he really has been near foot perfect this season with his jumping.

Just rewatched the Neptune he walked through the 4th, 3rd and 2nd last got passed and with one slap down the neck went back past horses on the bridle, i mean what an engine. The only thing that can beat the horse is his jumping and i hope he demolishes them all.

jim
    I'm not doubting that he beat everything impressively.
    Im just not sure about his experience. I could be way way off but I feel Irving could be the forgotten horse of the race....and at a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Wouldn't touch Irving at all, he has a nice turn of foot but will never be seen to best effect around Cheltenham. He has too many questions to answer for me and I just don't think he's in the top bracket. Would strongly fancy Arctic Fire to get the better of him in a match bet this time.

jim
    I'm not doubting that he beat everything impressively.
    Im just not sure about his experience. I could be way way off but I feel Irving could be the forgotten horse of the race....and at a good price.

Know that and I'm not suggesting for a second that Faugheen is a bet at evens. I just think, like UDS, given the way he races, that any inexperience will prove irrelevant. I firmly believe that Ruby will sit 2nd on him behind the JP pacemaker (with Jezki 3rd, TNO/Fly 4th/5th) and once the pacemaker drops off, he'll kick at the bottom of the hill. I think if tactics are kept simple, it's very very hard to see him beaten. And as I think that will be how it plays out, just cannot see Irving having the stamina to outstay Jezki, TNO and Fly up the hill, regardless of his price seeming value. Of course Faugheen could make a jumping error but then every horse in field is probably susceptible to that bar The Fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭Panrich

sting60 wrote: »
    I have put up conygree at 50/1 before Stephens day and he as a novice is the best I have seen by a mile.

This season I presume? No doubt he's a nice novice but having had two runs over fences where his main rival has fell both times, he has a lot to prove yet.

Panrich wrote: »
    This season I presume? No doubt he's a nice novice but having had two runs over fences where his main rival has fell both times, he has a lot to prove yet.
    I believe he won't run in the gold cup,money gone there.Annie power going to run in the mares race is disappointing and cowardly IMO.according to walsh"she looks great and working as good as ever".it seems Mullins has heard the good vibes regarding more of that after his wind operation.

• Advertisement

Looking at the arkle there is no doubt about the best horse who has about a stone in hand with everything.I believe there may be a very small field approx six if that is the case then back some fancy priced horses e/w nrnb and you still have two places behind the fav if you back anti post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Who would have predicted Our Conor to fall last year before the race? He had looked a terrific jumper throughout his juvenile career and in the two races at Leopardstown.

That mares race is a joke and it's ridiculous that they're running Annie Power in it. Would Dawn Run have a Champion Hurdle and a Gold Cup on her CV if she was around these days with the mares race as an option? I have my doubts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Meath Centre Forward

You'd think we'd have seen the depth of Mullins Cheltenham prospects and then Gitane Du Berlais announces herself as a JLT contender. After Outlander arrived on the scene last week.

Every good mare seems to end up in the care of Mullins too: Gitane Du Berlais, Vroom Vroom Mag, Annie Power, Morning Run, Glens Melody.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Denman2008

You'd think we'd have seen the depth of Mullins Cheltenham prospects and then Gitane Du Berlais announces herself as a JLT contender. After Outlander arrived on the scene last week.

Every good mare seems to end up in the care of Mullins too: Gitane Du Berlais, Vroom Vroom Mag, Annie Power, Morning Run, Glens Melody.

GDB likely going to France Mullins says, needs soft ground

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

Would Dawn Run have a Champion Hurdle and a Gold Cup on her CV if she was around these days with the mares race as an option? I have my doubts.

Of course she would have. Reason being that her owner Charmaine Hill (who herself was ultra-competitive) wanted her to run against the best and appreciated the prestige of winning the Championship races in Cheltenham. Imagine Paddy Mullins trying to tell Mrs. Hill she was going the Mares route? :eek:

Now you have an owner like Rich Ricci who is willing to pay exorbitant amounts of money to just have any winner in Cheltenham. It's clear he has given WPM carte blanche over all his horses. Geoff Banks was spot on this morning on C4 when he said these owners of top horses need to grow a pair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 wardiaz

UDS was robbed of a champion hurdle last year thats for sure,Vautour should be in the arkle this season too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Meath Centre Forward

Denman2008 wrote: »
    GDB likely going to France Mullins says, needs soft ground

If that's the case, I'd be annoyed. Mullins trying to avoid himself by moving his horses around. The owners need to take a stance and demand the horses run in the best and right races.

I don't know what the feeling is like on here but I'd like to see Mullins have a bad Cheltenham. I don't think his dominance is good for Irish racing and if anyone was to be dominant, he'd be my last choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

can u find pricewise tips online?

Think Mullins next monster and the Neptune winner runs tomorrow. Here's hoping Tell Us More delivers.
    Explain. The best horse not to run yet from Mullins is a serious backward horse called very time will .sorry but it explains it self big time

• Advertisement

sting60 wrote: »
    Explain. The best horse not to run yet from Mullins is a serious backward horse called very time will .sorry but it explains it self big time

You make less and less sense with each post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement