Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I agree with what you say, but you have listened to the song many times. Majority of voters will probably hear it for the first time, which IMHO isn't enough.

I wouldn't say that's necessarily true either. Most people who watch the Eurovision will have heard the songs multiple times online already. If she can give a powerful enough performance on the night, I believe it can stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

If you search "Ireland Eurovision 2015" on YouTube, the first result is Nikki Kavanagh, the next one is Erika, then Kat Mahon and then finally Molly, and that's not even the official video, just a still of Molly with the song playing. You have to scroll through 7 videos to find the video of Molly singing in the Late Late Eurosong and it's not even titled Eurosong winner or whatever. There's an official video for the song, but unless you search for the artist and title (which many people will not know), it doesn't come up when you search "Ireland Eurovision 2015".

Please sort it out, powers that be! It shouldn't have to that hard to find it.

Here is the official video for the song: http://youtu.be/8Jjokf5Xx4w

That video needs to be in the public domain, rather than the Eurosong one, as the staging wasn't great on it.

Wonder would Niall Horan give an aul' tweet of the video!

Edit: Apologies, link didn't work. Don't know how to post YouTube videos on mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Storm 10 wrote: »

Thanks Storm :)

Even this video doesn't say Ireland Eurovision 2015 in the title. They really need to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Thanks Storm :)

Even this video doesn't say Ireland Eurovision 2015 in the title. They really need to sort it out.
    That is because this video wasent put up by rte , Rather by molly herself , pre selection

• Advertisement

just checked the odds , Italy are favorite with @2/1

Has there been any non English winners in the last 15 years????

I wouldnt be picking it as a winner

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Lena anyways

bpb101 wrote: »
    That is because this video wasent put up by rte , Rather by molly herself , pre selection

No, I know that. They should change it now though. These days it's all about promotion and getting your song out there and creating a buzz in the couple of months leading up to the live show.

No, I know that. They should change it now though. These days it's all about promotion and getting your song out there and creating a buzz in the couple of months leading up to the live show.

Months to go though,
    I start looking at them all around april, not until they are all in

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

just checked the odds , Italy are favorite with @2/1

I wouldnt be picking it as a winner

Molitva for Serbia in 2007. And I agree, I'm not feeling it as a winner at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

That Italy song is simply on a different class to every other country to be honest. I didn't think last year's song had the feel of a winner either but there you go.

Hate to see that Italy haven't been in the Eurovision for years and then a few years ago , they come back and they get auto entry into the final

I didn't think Austria deserved to win it last year. If a man or a women stood up as they were and sung that, they wouldn't have won.
    The Dutch deserved it

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Hate to see that Italy haven't been in the Eurovision for years and then a few years ago , they come back and they get auto entry into the final

I didn't think Austria deserved to win it last year. If a man or a women stood up as they were and sung that, they wouldn't have won.
    The Dutch deserved it

Absolutely, the Dutch were robbed. Whilst I do think that Austria were a worthy winner, as you say it clearly wouldn't have won without the whole bearded lady thing. I'd have been happy for Austria to finish 3rd. You should try going over to the Digital Spy forum and saying that, you'll be shot down as a MASSIVE HOMOPHOBE!1!1!! :pac::rolleyes:

Absolutely, the Dutch were robbed. Whilst I do think that Austria were a worthy winner, as you say it clearly wouldn't have won without the whole bearded lady thing. I'd have been happy for Austria to finish 3rd. You should try going over to the Digital Spy forum and saying that, you'll be shot down as a MASSIVE HOMOPHOBE!1!1!! :pac::rolleyes:

Austria was good. But I think it a got a section of votes because of the gimmick .

Ah these days people are just looking to take offences at things.
    If I was to take offence at every comment that was made to me, like most people l would make about a million euros a day everyday. But sure that another thread

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Don't get the love for Italy tbh. Last year Italy was highly rated and I didn't get that one either. :o

Nothing's really jumped out at me so far. Belarus is one I'm warming to; I like what the violin brings. Iceland has a decent effort, but lacks a bit of 'oomph' to it and the Swedes probably would package a song like that better. Even these would only be what I'd consider dark horses.

The Finnish entry has the kind of story behind it that would tend to do well, but the song is really weak which hurts its chances.

I still think we've yet to hear the winning song.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

I agree, I think we've yet to hear the winner, although I think Estonia will be top 5, Italy top 10, and Spain top 10 also, depending on staging.

No winner in Sweden yet, although this is the favourite to be picked. Would be a pretty poor selection imo, not much of a chorus, and it's carried entirely by the staging.

We'll be finding out the Australian entry from 10.30pm tomorrow night, followed by the UK on Saturday at 7pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Lena anyways

"Satellite" was entirely in English. :o;)

As yerwanthere123 has pointed out, Marija Šerifović won for Serbia in '07 with a song entirely in her native tongue:

A sizeable proportion of Ruslana's "Wild Dances" was in Ukrainian, too:

But if there is one 21st-century non-English-language Eurovision song that should not be forgotten, then surely it has to be Urban Trad's "Sanomi" - which was in an imaginary language.

It so very nearly won the '03 contest for Belgium, too - although, of course, it would have finished behind t.A.T.u. had Ireland's televote not failed.

^ Could never get my head round that Belgian entry, thought it was just so bizarre.

• Site Banned Posts: 217 ✭✭Father Ted Crilly

Ireland should use the 'My Lovely Horse' song from Father Ted. If an extended version is made, that is.

• Advertisement

Ireland should use the 'My Lovely Horse' song from Father Ted. If an extended version is made, that is.

Another post that should be pinned to the beginning of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Had a listen to some of Norway's songs on their shortlist and there's a few in there (towards the top of this fan-made list) I could see doing well. If they choose wisely they could be in with a shout.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

11 -no
    10- no
    9- no
    8 - no
    7 -no
    6 - not great - very generic
    5 -no great either
    4 -is this is just "umbrella"???
    3- nope
    2 - generic and no
    1- no

sorry norway

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

11 -no
    10- no
    9- no
    8 - no
    7 -no
    6 - not great - very generic
    5 -no great either
    4 -is this is just "umbrella"???
    3- nope
    2 - generic and no
    1- no

sorry norway

tbh i think sweden will rule the roost in Scandanavia for a while yet, they are producing some serious music atm that is appealing to wide audiences. Unless someone can pull a winner out of the bagsweden will suck up all the votes heading to scandanavia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Although to be fair, I don't think many people remember Eamonn Toal and "Millennium of Love" - even though he came 6th, which remains Ireland's best finish in years beginning with 2. :o:D;)

Gary O'Shaughnessy, meanwhile, is only really remembered because his placing resulted in Ireland's first and only relegation from the contest.

Other Irish Eurovision acts that don't seem to be remembered by many (or, at least, are talked about much less often than Johnny, Dana, Linda, Niamh et al) are:

Colm C.T. Wilkinson - 5th in 1978 with "Born to Sing".

Luv Bug - 4th in 1986 with "You Can Count on Me".

Kim Jackson - 10th in 1991 with "Could It Be That I'm In Love". Neither she, nor anyone else, would have believed you if you had said that she'd be the last Irish entry to fail to win the Eurovision for four years... :eek: :D

And here's the only time Ireland sent something in Gaeilge - Sandie Jones and "Ceol an Ghrá" in 1972. I don't think she deserved to finish as low as 15th...

Looking back on Ireland's recent enough years perhaps reveals we did not do quite as poorly as most think we did. Fair enough, we have not won it since 1996 but we came second in 1997 and our results for 1998, 2000, 2006, and 2011 were overall very good. Results for 2003 and 2012 were also decent. We forget these overall and remember instead Gary O'Shaughnessy, Ryan Dolan, Chris Doran, Dervish, etc. coming last or very close to it and Dustin, Donna & Joe, etc. not even qualifying.

But no one knows with this. Why does Ireland place decently with Eamonn Toal's song in 2000 and Gary O'Shaughnessy can only manage to finish at the bottom a year later? Why was MJ Harte doing better than Chris Doran despite singing what were similar type songs? Why did Jedward give us our best showing in years in 2011 and performed less well a year later? And so on.

Block voting, being on the periphery of Europe, more powerful marketing campaigns, etc. have all been blamed for why Ireland has done poorly. But the truth is from the very start singers both famous and not famous have done well for Ireland on a given night and have done poorly as well.

T0001 wrote: »
    tbh i think sweden will rule the roost in Scandanavia for a while yet, they are producing some serious music atm that is appealing to wide audiences. Unless someone can pull a winner out of the bagsweden will suck up all the votes heading to scandanavia.

just to rub in the pain a bit , That 6th also includes semi finals

A lot of people hated jedwards and quite frankly they a puppets. But they got a solid 8th and they cant even sing . So the gimick does work. It didnt work as well when they had to take down their hair for the second one

Though there is a lot to be said if molly just goes out there, Without the backing singers and the violin players and whoever else was with her go to the far back of the stage and she just sits there and plays a grand piano. In a dark setting ,Simular to the music video . I think that would be the best .
    I hate the way it is done on the 2meter *2 meter lls stage . joke really considering (not that i watch the shíte ) the voice and the all ireland talent show is would be a good stage to do it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Why was MJ Harte doing better than Chris Doran despite singing what were similar type songs?

I don't think there are that many similarities between "We've Got the World" and "If My World Stopped Turning", TBH.

Other than the fact, of course, that they were both chosen on You're A Star, and also the fact that they both have "world" in their respective titles. :D;)

Why did Jedward give us our best showing in years in 2011 and performed less well a year later?

"Waterline" simply wasn't as good as "Lipstick".

Also, all eyes in 2012 were on Loreen - whereas in 2011 there was no obvious winner. (The bookies actually made France favourites...)

Block voting, being on the periphery of Europe, more powerful marketing campaigns, etc. have all been blamed for why Ireland has done poorly.

But the real reason is... RTE really don't want to host the thing again.

After all, having to host it four times in five years must have placed a pretty big strain on their finances...

:o:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

How much does it cost to stage the whole thing. I read that norway paid €18m overall in 2010 and germany paying c. €10m. Surely there cant be that much of a difference year to year?

How much does it cost to stage the whole thing. I read that norway paid €18m overall in 2010 and germany paying c. €10m. Surely there cant be that much of a difference year to year?
    yeah there would. Norway are extremely expensive for everything.

• Advertisement

Depends on the effort they put in. Azerbaijan went all out and spent something like €50m on it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement