Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

It wasn't looking good for Molly at the start, I felt it was the best song but what I don't understand is how some of the regional scoring panel scored it the worst song when I think most people can clearly hear that it wasn't the worst.
    I feel some panels saw Molly as the danger to there preferred song and scored her low, I couldn't believe it.
    The viewers felt she was the best and to be fair the crowd looked like they got behind her on the night, I think it will go really well in vienna

Yeah, that was a bit suspect alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

When does a ballad do well at Eurovision any more?

It will put people to sleep, won't stand out at all. I felt the panel were afraid to say anything bad about the song as she is 16 and didn't want to hurt her feelings. I don't think it would have won if it was sang by a 30 year old.

Erikas song was the best.

Gits_bone wrote: »
    When does a ballad do well at Eurovision any more?

The top three last year were all ballads: Bond theme/brass ballad, country ballad and power ballad.
    Also the winners in 2011, 2008 and 2007 were all arguably ballads; "ballad" is a pretty general term.

Anyway I hadn't listened to the songs beforehand as my expectations were so low. And most of them proved to be quite poor. However, I definitely think we chose the best that was on offer. I don't know if "Playing With Numbers" is a song that will have any impact at Eurovision but it is a song that I will listen to again in the future....and the last Irish entry I can say that about was Eimear Quinn's "The Voice"!! Molly's a great talent and seems a very level-headed young woman so I wish her all the best. :)

And best of all, the song won't require big staging so RTÉ's atrocious choreography is less likely to embarrass her, and the nation, on the ESC stage! :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

I'd put money on the song won't get out of the semi.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I really like the song. I listened to it and Break Me Up this morning and it's Playing with Numbers that's still in my head. I can't actually remember Break Me Up and keep getting a different song (Wake Me Up) when I do try to think of it. Possibly a good sign for Molly! I suppose it's all going to depend on who we're up against.

It can also only be a good thing that we're not sending a try-hard "Eurovisiony" song for once too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

It is this time of year once again! And will this year be Ireland's return to glory?

While there's nothing wrong with the song (it is quite good), I again feel that Ireland is simply not on the radar of most Europeans anymore for some reason. But Austria proved last year that perceived 'peripheral countries' can do it. But Austria's entry had such a unique act that brought attention to it. Same with Lordi in 2006.

Believe it or not, it is nearly 20 years since Ireland won in 1996. Back in that period, Ireland seemingly could do little wrong and with different types of songs: 1992 and 1993's Why Me and In Your Eyes were soulful, power ballads, 1994's Rock & Roll Kids was pleasant country-rock but all 3 won. 1995's mushy country ballad Dreaming was not a winner though but the Celtic-styled The Voice gave us back our crown in 1996. 1997 proved we did not win, 1998 ..... Every year, we thought we'd be back but nothing. Not even close apart from 1999, 2003 (sort of!), 2006, 2011 and 2012 (sort of).

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I didn't like the studio version of Playing With Numbers on first reaction, but when I heard it live I liked it. People are saying it's a grower and I think it is while Erika's song would probably have gone down better on a first listen.

I think our only hope is that, like the Dutch song last year, it will surprise people on the night. From what I recall last year, most had the Dutch song at the tail end of their list of favourites and yet it ended up being very popular.

Let's be honest the format for selection by RTE is awful. Every year we're told it will be improved and we're let down. The Alex Saint song was terrible and they ended up turning to a Swedish team as well. I have to believe we have talented people who can come up with at least 15 good songs that can be whittled down, as other countries do.

Anyways I'd be much more confident in Molly's voice than your wan from last year.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

I dunno, should probably wait until all the songs have been picked before saying that. There are a good few countries with poor qualification records in our semi-final. Recent history would suggest that Norway, Sweden and Azerbaijan should probably qualify (even though Azerbaijan's poor finish last year shows that they're not invincible*) but after that it's very hard to predict.

Of the songs in our semi that have been picked, I certainly think Ireland's is better than Iceland's, Cyprus's or Lithuania's. And vocally Molly is less of a warbler than the Maltese singer. I wouldn't confidently bet on us qualifying but I definitely wouldn't rule it out either!
    First half
    Czech Republic
    Ireland
    Lithuania
    Malta
    Montenegro
    Norway
    Portugal
    San Marino
    Second half
    Azerbaijan
    Cyprus
    Iceland
    Israel
    Latvia
    Poland
    Slovenia
    Sweden
    Switzerland

* only Russia are invincible! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭MelanieC

Having heard the songs for the first time last night,I have to say I thought Anyone Got A Shoulder was the one that would've served us best. It had a nice melody,an excellent,poignant even,arrangement,was well sung & had an authentic Irish (but not Oirish!) sound. Also it was complete simplicity which after last years winner being a massive powerhouse production would've been clever imo.

I like Playing With Numbers,it's very "now",sounds a bit like Ghost by Ella Henderson but somehow I can't see it doing that well in Eurovision.

I don't see how Break Me Up was such a favourite,it was literally Wake Me Up by Avici from start to finish! As I said,I hadn't heard any of them or heard anything about any of them before last night but I still recognised the tune immediately. They didn't even change the title much!! I'm glad this one didn't win coz this kind of thing really bugs me when there are genuine songwriters out there composing new,original songs.

Really think Kat Mahon would've been the one to turn our fortunes around but anyway,hope Molly does well. Another 11 week long wait now tho! :-(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Personally I don't understand the championing of Kat Mahon's song. I just found it very slow, depressing and boring. I know that Molly's wasn't exactly a jumping in the air kind of song but it still seemed to have more in it. I lost interest in Kat very quickly whereas I didn't in Molly. I don't know if Europe could have handled that much of a sad song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

5/4 not to qualify, seems like great odds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Erikas song was the best.

Might have been... but for that awful, unnecessary key change. :o;)

Anyway I hadn't listened to the songs beforehand as my expectations were so low. And most of them proved to be quite poor. However, I definitely think we chose the best that was on offer. I don't know if "Playing With Numbers" is a song that will have any impact at Eurovision but it is a song that I will listen to again in the future....and the last Irish entry I can say that about was Eimear Quinn's "The Voice"!! Molly's a great talent and seems a very level-headed young woman so I wish her all the best. :)

And best of all, the song won't require big staging so RTÉ's atrocious choreography is less likely to embarrass her, and the nation, on the ESC stage! :P

They could still embarrass her, though - if they insist upon backing dancers and Irish symbols on the projection screens.

Which, sadly, can't be ruled out at this moment in time... :o:o :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Anyways I'd be much more confident in Molly's voice than your wan from last year.

Poor Kasey. Poor, poor Kasey. :o:o:o:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Nordicgael

Finland just voted to select this song -
    big difference from what the local jurys wanted and the public wanted
    this got a big public vote - its not great but a good story,
    all members of the band have down syndrome.
    will be interesting to see if it gets anywhere in the semi final.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Busy night tonight!

Slovenia

Finland

Moldova

Hungary

Hungary is the only one picked tonight that I actually kinda like, but the presentation is way too schmaltzy.

And Finland? F*cking appalling.

20/40 picked now, halfway there. Estonia the only contender so far.

It is this time of year once again!

Yes... it is indeed that time of year once again.

I think it came round well before Friday night, TBH. :D

Ireland seemingly could do little wrong and with different types of songs: 1992 and 1993's Why Me and In Your Eyes were soulful, power ballads, 1994's Rock & Roll Kids was pleasant country-rock but all 3 won.

But should Niamh Kavanagh's fellow redhead, Sonia, have won in '93? :D

She led during the middle stages of the voting, before Niamh went back in front when the UK (funnily enough, but unsurprisingly) gave her their douze points.

And then, of course, with 11 points between the two and all the other countries having given their votes, the Maltese jury had to be called back following technical difficulties... :D;)

2wgx7af.jpg

1995's mushy country ballad Dreaming was not a winner

The winning act was still part-Irish, though. ;)

1997 proved we did not win, 1998 ..... Every year, we thought we'd be back but nothing. Not even close apart from 1999, 2003 (sort of!), 2006, 2011 and 2012 (sort of).

Marc Roberts' 2nd place to Katrina and the Waves in '97 remains Ireland's most recent top-five finish.

In '98, Dawn Martin (no relation to Linda, AFAIK) came 9th, but stood no chance against Dana International. And in '99, the Mullans got the first 12 of the night (from Lithuania) but not much else besides, and finished 17th.

Mickey Joe Harte really couldn't have beaten Sertab Erener in '03, and no-one could have beaten Lordi in '06.

No-one could have beaten Loreen in '12, either - and I think even John and Edward would agree there. :D;)

Loreen-with-Jedward-after-Eurovision-2012-loreen-30976933-500-375.png

Finland

Finland? F*cking appalling.

But look at Nordicgael's post immediately above... :o:o:);)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Finland - song is not Eurovision (but I wouldn't say "bad", very simple tune, easy to remember), but they could pick up the "bearded lady" vote. Interesting. The problem for them is that the public vote is only part of the votes, and juries will vote them down.

hmmm wrote: »
    Finland - song is not Eurovision (but I wouldn't say "bad", very simple tune, easy to remember), but they could pick up the "bearded lady" vote. Interesting.

Exactly what I'm afraid of. They've been made 3rd favorites to win, behind Italy and Estonia.

Damn, Italy is great - and it will lend itself well to a big theatrical presentation if they can pull it off. Estonia is nice, but lacking something that will make it stand out I think. Latvia, not a chance.

Exactly what I'm afraid of. They've been made 3rd favorites to win, behind Italy and Estonia.
    The more times I listen to Finland, the more I like it as a song :) It's a proper punk anthem. Have you noticed it is only 1.50 in length?
    But Finland’s PKN are aiming to raise awareness of people with learning disabilities – and “have a ****ing good time” along the way, the band say.
    I like them already, ok paddy power let's get this betting show going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Moldova's song is dreadful!

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Yes... it is indeed that time of year once again.

I think it came round well before Friday night, TBH. :D

But should Niamh Kavanagh's fellow redhead, Sonia, have won in '93? :D

She led during the middle stages of the voting, before Niamh went back in front when the UK (funnily enough, but unsurprisingly) gave her their douze points.

And then, of course, with 11 points between the two and all the other countries having given their votes, the Maltese jury had to be called back following technical difficulties... :D;)

2wgx7af.jpg

The winning act was still part-Irish, though. ;)

Marc Roberts' 2nd place to Katrina and the Waves in '97 remains Ireland's most recent top-five finish.

In '98, Dawn Martin (no relation to Linda, AFAIK) came 9th, but stood no chance against Dana International. And in '99, the Mullans got the first 12 of the night (from Lithuania) but not much else besides, and finished 17th.

Mickey Joe Harte really couldn't have beaten Sertab Erener in '03, and no-one could have beaten Lordi in '06.

No-one could have beaten Loreen in '12, either - and I think even John and Edward would agree there. :D;)

Loreen-with-Jedward-after-Eurovision-2012-loreen-30976933-500-375.png

Ireland could do no wrong in the 1990s. It won it 4 times, came second in 1997 (further back than I thought which was 1999!) and was often in the top 10.

The Mullans, who I thought until now were 2000, I think may have been the first of Ireland's very poor showings in recent times. I don't remember who did it in 2000 for Ireland?? But I remember 2001 was a very bad result, with us near the very bottom. I don't think we were even in it in 2002? 2003 was MJH and we did kind of ok. 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 were all very poor placings for us with only 2006 and 2011 showing truly good results and 2012 a decent enough placing. 2013 and 2014 was back to the usual finishing at the bottom. The nine worst showings I can remember are:

2001: Gary O'Shaughnessy Without Your Love. This is a typical formula we have seen. The song, a power ballad a la Johnny Logan, and a singer of that style. Could this have won it 20 years earlier? Did it deserve to come nearly last?

2004: Chris Doran If My World Stopped Turning. Again, the ghost of Logan looms large over this ballad. The end result is the same as in 2001 and serious questions over the voting and the term block voting were used often in the aftermath of this.

2013: Ryan Dolan Only Love Survives. Jump forward 9 years and we have a singer with a name almost like the 2004 singer. The end result is the same. Only we are in actual last spot here. The song was essentially a Logan-style ballad mixed with a slight trad element.

2007: Dervish They Can't Stop The Spring. What was this aimed at? What was its agenda? Written by rightwing nutcase John Waters, it was a divertion from the usual. But it was anything but a good song. Again, it came last. And probably deservedly so.

2008: Dustin the Canvas Bag er Turkey! Irlande Douze Points. Dublin slang, pidgin French and a bit of dancing about all delivered in a croaky Dublin accent. It may have been funny and different to some but Europe were not ready for this turkey! Didn't even make the final.

2005: Donna and Joe Love. A decision was made to do something other than a ballad about love. So, how about an uptempo song about and called Love? In the wake of the energetic Ukrainian winner from 2004, it was the perfect formula or so it seemed. It failed to come out of the group stages.

2009: Sinead Murvey/Black Daisy Et Cetera. A big improvement on both the 2007 and 2008 entries obviously, this rather catchy song ended up getting the same fate as Dustin and did not get into the final.

2014: Can Linn and Kasey Smith Heartbeat. The song was up against it from Eoghan Quigg in the Late Late Show special and it was the time of the controversy between Linda Martin and the Aslan member. But the winning song (not a cover of the theme song of the TV series of the same name btw!) did not make any more impact than Dustin or Black Daisy and did not make the final.

2010: Niamh Kavanagh: It's For You. It must have been awful for her. The 1993 winner sings what is arguably a better song than the one she won it with and comes near the end. This song was above average and really deserved better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Moldova's song is dreadful!

I felt like I'd gone back to the early '00s watching it! The opening and bit after the chorus is nearly an exact copy of "Just a Little" by Liberty X, the rest of it sounded like an *Nsync song. Then yer woman wearing the low-rise trousers, ala Britney/Xtina, and him looking like Kid Rock or something...

Awful stuff altogether :(

Ireland could do no wrong in the 1990s. It won it 4 times, came second in 1997 (further back than I thought which was 1999!) and was often in the top 10.

The Mullans, who I thought until now were 2000, I think may have been the first of Ireland's very poor showings in recent times. I don't remember who did it in 2000 for Ireland?? But I remember 2001 was a very bad result, with us near the very bottom. I don't think we were even in it in 2002? 2003 was MJH and we did kind of ok. 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 were all very poor placings for us with only 2006 and 2011 showing truly good results and 2012 a decent enough placing. 2013 and 2014 was back to the usual finishing at the bottom. The nine worst showings I can remember are:

2001: Gary O'Shaughnessy Without Your Love. This is a typical formula we have seen. The song, a power ballad a la Johnny Logan, and a singer of that style. Could this have won it 20 years earlier? Did it deserve to come nearly last?

2004: Chris Doran If My World Stopped Turning. Again, the ghost of Logan looms large over this ballad. The end result is the same as in 2001 and serious questions over the voting and the term block voting were used often in the aftermath of this.

2013: Ryan Dolan Only Love Survives. Jump forward 9 years and we have a singer with a name almost like the 2004 singer. The end result is the same. Only we are in actual last spot here. The song was essentially a Logan-style ballad mixed with a slight trad element.

2007: Dervish They Can't Stop The Spring. What was this aimed at? What was its agenda? Written by rightwing nutcase John Waters, it was a divertion from the usual. But it was anything but a good song. Again, it came last. And probably deservedly so.

2008: Dustin the Canvas Bag er Turkey! Irlande Douze Points. Dublin slang, pidgin French and a bit of dancing about all delivered in a croaky Dublin accent. It may have been funny and different to some but Europe were not ready for this turkey! Didn't even make the final.

2005: Donna and Joe Love. A decision was made to do something other than a ballad about love. So, how about an uptempo song about and called Love? In the wake of the energetic Ukrainian winner from 2004, it was the perfect formula or so it seemed. It failed to come out of the group stages.

2009: Sinead Murvey/Black Daisy Et Cetera. A big improvement on both the 2007 and 2008 entries obviously, this rather catchy song ended up getting the same fate as Dustin and did not get into the final.

2014: Can Linn and Kasey Smith Heartbeat. The song was up against it from Eoghan Quigg in the Late Late Show special and it was the time of the controversy between Linda Martin and the Aslan member. But the winning song (not a cover of the theme song of the TV series of the same name btw!) did not make any more impact than Dustin or Black Daisy and did not make the final.

2010: Niamh Kavanagh: It's For You. It must have been awful for her. The 1993 winner sings what is arguably a better song than the one she won it with and comes near the end. This song was above average and really deserved better.

With the very greatest of respect, BuilderPlumber... you have a pretty selective memory. :o:o:o:o:);)

Also, you haven't answered my question about whether or not Sonia should have won in '93. :o:);)

(Mods, if you feel I'm overstepping the mark here, feel perfectly free to snip away as necessary. :))

Although to be fair, I don't think many people remember Eamonn Toal and "Millennium of Love" - even though he came 6th, which remains Ireland's best finish in years beginning with 2. :o:D;)

Gary O'Shaughnessy, meanwhile, is only really remembered because his placing resulted in Ireland's first and only relegation from the contest.

Other Irish Eurovision acts that don't seem to be remembered by many (or, at least, are talked about much less often than Johnny, Dana, Linda, Niamh et al) are:

Colm C.T. Wilkinson - 5th in 1978 with "Born to Sing".

Luv Bug - 4th in 1986 with "You Can Count on Me".

Kim Jackson - 10th in 1991 with "Could It Be That I'm In Love". Neither she, nor anyone else, would have believed you if you had said that she'd be the last Irish entry to fail to win the Eurovision for four years... :eek: :D

And here's the only time Ireland sent something in Gaeilge - Sandie Jones and "Ceol an Ghrá" in 1972. I don't think she deserved to finish as low as 15th...

Spain

Easily one of the best picked so far, also one of my favourite Spanish entries of recent years. I'm not convinced the chorus is quite big enough though.

21/40.

I actually kinda like Finland's entry. :o I hope that they get votes for their song/performance though, and not just because of the sympathy vote factor.

Spanish entry is interesting. Not the type of song I would have expected from them!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

The more I listen to it, the more our song has grown on me. A lot of people wanted Erica or Nikki but those were just typical Eurovision songs that would've blended in with all the other 40 countries. Playing with numbers hhas the potential to stand above the rest. I hope we get the staging and theatrics right though. Get rid of the dreadful, pointless backing singers and please god don't have a male dancer prancing around the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

thelad95 wrote: »
    The more I listen to it, the more our song has grown on me. A lot of people wanted Erica or Nikki but those were just typical Eurovision songs that would've blended in with all the other 40 countries. Playing with numbers hhas the potential to stand above the rest. I hope we get the staging and theatrics right though. Get rid of the dreadful, pointless backing singers and please god don't have a male dancer prancing around the stage.

I agree with what you say, but you have listened to the song many times. Majority of voters will probably hear it for the first time, which IMHO isn't enough.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I think if Ireland were in the second half, it would be the cue most people had been looking for to go make a cup tea :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement