Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Carnacalla wrote: »
    If politics dont rule the show, then how come

*5 countries get free passes into the final.
    *A country not even remotely close to europe gets entered into the Eurovision?
    *Countries generally vote for their neighbours rather than the actual songs?

As Homer has explained, politics has absolutely nothing to do with any of these three things.

If there is one thing that occurs every year in which politics are involved to some extent, it's Armenia and Azerbaijan not voting for each other.

It's a one-off event to celebrate the competition's birthday and acknowledge that it has a big following in Australia. Australia has a much better attitude towards it than plenty of moaners in Ireland and the UK.

Well said. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

None of your arguments have succeeded in convincing me otherwise. Countries should not be given free passes to the final and an anniversary shouldn't bend the meaning of the show.

None of your arguments have succeeded in convincing me otherwise. Countries should not be given free passes to the final and an anniversary shouldn't bend the meaning of the show.

:o:o:o:o:o;)

My opinions are just as valid as yours here :)

My opinions are just as valid as yours here :)

Well, you could show a bit more respect to the opposite opinions... :o:o:o

And should it really matter, anyway, that the UK, France, Germany, Spain and Italy go straight through to the final each year, and that the Aussies are taking part this year?

It shouldn't - because the Eurovision is supposed to be a great laugh at the end of the day. :o:);)

• Advertisement

Well, you could show a bit more respect to the opposite opinions... :o:o:o

And should it really matter, anyway, that the UK, France, Germany, Spain and Italy go straight through to the final each year, and that the Aussies are taking part this year?

It shouldn't - because the Eurovision is supposed to be a great laugh at the end of the day. :o:);)

I don't take to this attitude -"it doesn't matter" -"just a bit of fun". Its more than a few teenage girls having a game of karaoke at 4:30 in the morning.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I wonder if Merkel will be nice to Greece if they give Germany 12 points this year? Maybe Russia and Ukraine will be friends too if their points go well.

(And that's all the politics I know folks!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

It's got to be the least politically motivated international competition of all time. Most songs are either bubblegum pop, cheesy or powerful ballads or just blatant pisstakes eg Dustin the turkey, and the Russian grannies, not to mention that Slavic girls song from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Another event on the Eurovision Calendar is the 60th Anniversary Greatest Hits Concert in London on March 31st

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2015/eurovision-60-actsfinal

Austria’s Conchita Wurst will sing “Rise Like a Phoenix”

Sweden’s Herreys, will sing "Diggi-Loo Diggi-Ley”

France’s Natasha St-Pier will sing “Je n'ai que mon âme”

Denmark’s Emmelie de Forest will sing “Only Teardrops”

Finland’s Lordi will sing “Hard Rock Hallelujah”

Germany’s Nicole will sing “Ein Bißchen Frieden”

Ireland’s Johnny Logan will sing a medley of “What’s Another Year” and “Hold Me Now”

Spain’s Rosa López will sing a medley of Spanish songs including “Europe’s Living a Celebration”

Luxembourg’s Anne-Marie David will sing “Tu Te Reconnaitras”

Denmark’s The Olsen Brothers will sing “Fly on the Wings of Love”

Sweden’s Loreen will sing “Euphoria”

The UK’s Brotherhood Of Man will sing “Save Your Kisses For Me”

Russia’s Dima Bilan will sing a medley of “Never Let You Go” and “Believe”

Israel’s Dana International will sing “Diva”

As well as the above former contestants singing once more, a number of invited guests will also be in attendance on the night, including a very special guest performance that will be announced in due course.

Eurovision’s Greatest Hits will be presented by Graham Norton and Petra Mede and will be broadcast on BBC One and throughout Europe (including RTE) and beyond this Easter.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

The UK will reveal their entry a week from Saturday, March 7th. They've promised it has both "instant impact" and "memory-staying power", so the signs appear good so far. Hope they pick a good one.

• Advertisement

The UK will reveal their entry a week from Saturday, March 7th. They've promised it has both "instant impact" and "memory-staying power", so the signs appear good so far. Hope they pick a good one.

Probably either some band who could never quite make it big or some ex popstar who has fallen far enough to be involved in this.

thelad95 wrote: »
    Probably either some band who could never quite make it big or some ex popstar who has fallen far enough to be involved in this.

Molly last year was neither. :o;)

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Molly last year was neither. :o;)

Yeah I agree. Whilst Molly didn't fare very well, I still maintain it was one of the better songs last year. The big problem with it thought that it was a grower, it was nowhere near immediate enough on first listen, which is obviously a big problem on a show where 90%+ of the audience are hearing the song for the first time. If, as they say, they've picked a song with "instant impact", there's reason to be optimistic.

Who do we reckon we'll pick on Friday night? I think it has to be Erika. I'm literally the only person I've heard being positive about it though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 71,683 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

*mental image of Chesney Hawkes sitting next to phone, eagerly awaiting the call*

*mental image of Chesney Hawkes sitting next to phone, eagerly awaiting the call*

:pac::pac:

In other news, Albania have scrapped their song due to the bad reception it got in Albania. Good move really, it was sh*te.

:pac::pac:

In other news, Albania have scrapped their song due to the bad reception it got in Albania. Good move really, it was sh*te.

Really? I wish Ireland would follow in their footsteps. Apart from Jedward, I don't think we've had a song that's had a good reception in yonks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

To the folks at Montrose, it would be harmful. :o :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Who do we reckon we'll pick on Friday night? I think it has to be Erika. I'm literally the only person I've heard being positive about it though :o

I believe Nikki will win with the shouty song. I find it a really annoying tune and have doubts that she can pull it off on the big occasion; it sounds a tough song to nail.

I agree that Erika should be selected as it's the most likely out of the five songs to pick up points in the qualifier. I do think her nationality will turn off a lot of voters though. The audience most likely to vote on this I would imagine are young women and so I don't think a pretty girl from abroad is going to go down too well. Now if it were a good-looking Swedish fella that might be a different story. Then there's the older generation who probably think sending a Swedish girl to represent Ireland is sacrilege.

The only chance I think she has is if she really puts on a charm offensive. I don't know if they have promo packages before the songs but if they do, I'd show her sporting an Ireland jersey, meeting people, asking them to support her etc. Really go native! We tend to like it when people from abroad flatter us. Even then it's going to be tough, however.

I personally don't give two hoots about her nationality. Sure wasn't Dustin made in China. :pac:

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

I've seen some negativity about her nationality alright, and I just find it bizarre? Why would anyone care? It's about sending a good song at the end of the day. I was surprised to see she's only 3rd favourite with the bookies as well. I think it's the only song that has a decent chance of performing any bit respectably. It's nice and upbeat, catchy, and with good staging and a confident performance I think it could qualify. Every other song will sink like a stone.

• Advertisement

I agree that Erika should be selected as it's the most likely out of the five songs to pick up points in the qualifier. I do think her nationality will turn off a lot of voters though. The audience most likely to vote on this I would imagine are young women and so I don't think a pretty girl from abroad is going to go down too well. Now if it were a good-looking Swedish fella that might be a different story. Then there's the older generation who probably think sending a Swedish girl to represent Ireland is sacrilege.
    I've seen some negativity about her nationality alright, and I just find it bizarre? Why would anyone care?

Anyone who thinks it's wrong to have someone from Scandinavia representing Ireland... well, heaven knows what they think about Switzerland's win in '88. :o:o :rolleyes: ;)

Or the UK in 1997!

Here's a good article about Eurovision singers competing for a country that isn't their own. (Warning: doesn't contain Gina G, but does contain Justin Lee Collins.)

http://www.escinsight.com/2011/01/06/foreign-singer-dead-ringer-winning-eurovision-song-contest/

Won't get to see the show tonight, but I really hope the right choice is made!

Won't get to see the show tonight, but I really hope the right choice is made!

You lucky git :P

Ireland

16/40.

Obiously I'm disappointed, although I do think Molly's performance was much better than Erika's. Still, any faults could easily have been ironed out by the time we got to Vienna. Oh well. I think Molly could get some jury love but will fail to excite the public.

Let's just hope that needless backing dancers and pointless Irish iconography are both absent.

Let's just hope... :o:o :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

We can hope, but I fully expect RTE to have her dressed as a leprechaun and banging a bodhrán.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

We can hope, but I fully expect RTE to have her dressed as a leprechaun and banging a bodhrán.

"A piano? Is it anytin like a buttin accordeen?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

It wasn't looking good for Molly at the start, I felt it was the best song but what I don't understand is how some of the regional scoring panel scored it the worst song when I think most people can clearly hear that it wasn't the worst.
    I feel some panels saw Molly as the danger to there preferred song and scored her low, I couldn't believe it.
    The viewers felt she was the best and to be fair the crowd looked like they got behind her on the night, I think it will go really well in vienna

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement