Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Carne

I'm kinda hoping Linda Martin is involved again this year though :pac:

Looking forward to round 2. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Why in the name of God is it on the Late Late show? The completely wrong demographic to be selecting the song. Very few people in the 18-35 age group watch the Late Late and as a result, won't see the selection process.

Also, the acts with all due respect are nobodies. The last few winners have already been relatively well-known throughout Europe. The year we went with a well-known act (Jedward), we did very well.

We haven't a prayer of winning this anytime soon.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

thelad95 wrote: »
    We haven't a prayer of winning this anytime soon.

And RTE are probably happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

And here are the no-hopers hopefuls...

It's too shouty for my liking. Pity because I like the non-shouty bits.

This tortures my ears.

Sounds like she wants a shoulder she can cry out of her eyeballs. Not for me, Bill.

Not a fan of the singer. Dunno if I'll change my mind. I might like this more if there were a softer touch to it.

Your standard Eurovision song. Not my type of music but probably the one I'd send of the five. Her nationality may count against her.

I think the wait goes on. RTE will be relieved!

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The first 3 are rubbish, the 4th is kind of okay-ish but only when compared to the others but it's kind of bland (although they're all bland) and the last one is rubbish.

We haven't a hope. Whoever selects these songs has learned nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

5 really ordinary, nothing songs. As already stated, RTE will be fine with that. We'll have Marty with his faux shock and despair at our failure to make the final when the time comes but there you go.

I haven't heard a song from us, thinking yeah, we might have a chance with this one, for about 20 years now. I really think we should pull the plug for a year or two and come back with a proper National Final, not some add on to a chat show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

I really think we should pull the plug for a year or two and come back with a proper National Final, not some add on to a chat show.

RTE clearly don't want to pull the plug, though.

RTE clearly don't want to pull the plug, though.

They don't want to pull the plug, and they clearly don't want to win, but I do think they want to do well.

Unfortunately they're still trying to find a typical Eurovision song, when in reality songs that aren't typically Eurovision tend to do well these days.

That or no decent songwriters are willing to get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,683 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

What's de word on de UK entry?

Who have we parachuted in without caring? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Australia has entered the 2015 Contest! A one off invite to celebrate the 60th anniversary and they go straight into the final.

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=australia_to_participate_in_the_2015_eurovision_song_contest
    This year, the Eurovision Song Contest celebrates its 60th anniversary. To give the anniversary celebrations an extra dimension and to walk the talk on this year’s theme Building Bridges, the EBU and host broadcaster ORF invited Australia to compete in the Grand Final of the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest. This brings the total amount of represented countries to 40.

If they win they will be invited back although they won't get to host. I think it's a great idea, if it goes well they should given an annual invitation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭A_smurf

Not surprised by that turn of events! I mean the skit about Australia in the final last year must have meant something and the reaction to it was huge! Plus Australia would send a good talent over, possibly well known over there and not so much in Europe! I can see Australia winning though, especially if they're just performing in the final!

Skid X wrote: »
    Australia has entered the 2015 Contest! A one off invite to celebrate the 60th anniversary and they go straight into the final.

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=australia_to_participate_in_the_2015_eurovision_song_contest

If they win they will be invited back although they won't get to host. I think it's a great idea, if it goes well they should given an annual invitation.

Jump_the_Shark.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Send over the cast of Home and Away!

We should get a few votes of them anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

What a farce. The whole thing should be scrapped.

I think it's between Nikki and Erika on the LLS. The others are intolerably awful.

I've no issue with Australia entering. Weren't Morocco in it one year? I'd say they will take it seriously as well and probably be up there with the Scandinavians battling for the title.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Well I think it's great that the Aussies are entering in their own right. :o:D

And they're far from strangers to the contest - Olivia Newton-John represented the UK in 1974, as of course did Gina G in 1996.

Morocco did indeed take part in 1980 - although they scored 136 points less than Johnny Logan, and finished only above Finland. :o;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

lets outsider join the eurovision aka australia, why australia not america or china or japan

It's only a matter of time before Kim Jong Un represents North Korea and wins, receiving 12 points from every single country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

If Australia win, will it be held there next year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Feckin hell, just listened to the 5 songs there. We have learned nothing from last few years. Best of a bad lot is probably Nikki Kavanaghs song but that will struggle to get out of a semi final.

Why do we keep on repeating the same mistakes year after year. It's as if RTE don't want us to win it ever again. But at worst they should make sure we have a song that's good enough to get to the final...will make viewers way more + add revenue +++

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Carne

Stevecw wrote: »
    Feckin hell, just listened to the 5 songs there. We have learned nothing from last few years. Best of a bad lot is probably Nikki Kavanaghs song but that will struggle to get out of a semi final.

Why do we keep on repeating the same mistakes year after year. It's as if RTE don't want us to win it ever again. But at worst they should make sure we have a song that's good enough to get to the final...will make viewers way more + add revenue +++

Ted.jpg

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    lets outsider join the eurovision aka australia, why australia not america or china or japan

The Aussies are much bigger into Eurovision than the Americans, the Chinese, the Japanese...

thelad95 wrote: »
    It's only a matter of time before Kim Jong Un represents North Korea and wins, receiving 12 points from every single country.

...and the North Koreans, too. :o:o;)

If Australia win, will it be held there next year?

No - it'll still be held in a European city.

They'll be allowed to defend their title, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Out of Ireland's potential songs my favourite one is the one by the swedish person. Hope that song gets chosen :)

I remember posting this last year:
    I don't think Johnny Logan would do it. He would want to protect his good reputation in Eurovision. In any case, he wouldn't win. He's just not modern enough.

Talk of sending The Script or Kodaline or Imelda May is ridiculous too. The Script are doing incredibly well for themselves. Kodaline are beginning to do well in America. Imelda May is number 1 in Ireland and number 3 in the UK. None of them need Eurovision in the way that Blue needed it.

No doubt RTE will try to find a Mumford and Sons tribute act to send, because that type of thing did well this year and RTE always copies what has done well in the past.

I really didn't expect to be wishing that the part in bold was actually happening. :D

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I've no problem with Australia entering, so long as it is just a once off. One good thing about them taking part is we'll probably get quite a few votes from the Irish diaspora there. In fact, both Australia and the UK are voting in our semi final :)

Are the Swedes voting in our semi? Presumably they would give some points to their compatriot if we sent her.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Yes they are! Norway and Iceland too. Scandinavia is usually pretty generous with points towards Ireland.

It'll be interesting to see what approach Australia will take to Eurovision. Given that it has a strong following there, and that this will (probably) be their only appearance, I'm guessing they'll take it seriously. Maybe they'll send Jessica Mauboy? Performed during the interval last year, reasonably successful in Australia and can sing, which is always a help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

You have to remember when listening to the songs, that on the eurovision stage, who ever represents us they'll be dressed in either green or gold, have two unnecessary male irish dancers, some gobsh*ite playing an instrument out of tune and two young ones in awful dresses singing the harmony out of key - shure it worked in the past......... wait what?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement