Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

realweirdo wrote: »
    I do't think they would have the nessecary kitsch credentials. A drag act would have a better chance to be honest. Its all about kitsch these days and the lgbt constituency is reasonably big. A gay icon might also help.

Panti? :p :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I don't think Johnny Logan would do it. He would want to protect his good reputation in Eurovision. In any case, he wouldn't win. He's just not modern enough.

Talk of sending The Script or Kodaline or Imelda May is ridiculous too. The Script are doing incredibly well for themselves. Kodaline are beginning to do well in America. Imelda May is number 1 in Ireland and number 3 in the UK. None of them need Eurovision in the way that Blue needed it.

No doubt RTE will try to find a Mumford and Sons tribute act to send, because that type of thing did well this year and RTE always copies what has done well in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    We sent Niamh Kavanagh a couple of years ago. Acts like that are never going to win. Europe and eurovision watchers want fresh faces with a great song.

Also, block voting doesn't dictate the winner.

Its all about ticking the boxes. There are so many constituencies you have to appeal to and most of all you need to know your audience. Like I said before if the winner sang as an ordinary man or woman, no drag act nothing, they would have been in with a good shout but probably lost out to another act which had something extra.

Music is subjective. I had nothing against the winner, good luck to him/her. Unfortunately I just didn't think the song was that special or any better than a number of others. Others however have a different opinion and assure us that it was the best and of course their opinion counts more than others!

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

mhge wrote: »
    He's not a transvestite, he's a drag act. If he's not on stage as "her", Conchita, he's a gay guy.
    Or even just a.. guy.

thelad95 wrote: »
    Panti? :p :rolleyes:

Still not unique enough. If he grew a beard maybe.

• Advertisement

Whoever is sending next years act to austria from ireland, first they need to find the act and then find the song. We were punching above our weight for years so maybe we should just accept our lot. As for rte organising anything don't make me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭ShaneMc2012

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    To be honest I think it's a ridiculous accusation to make that the Irish jury voted to knock off the public vote.
    I thought that aswell but looking at the results from around Europe that's exactly what Belgium did. There is a massive Armenian diaspora in Belgium and in order to get rid of the diaspora vote the jury placed Armenia 2nd last.. As bad as Poland were I dont think Armenia was the 2nd worst song in the Final. If Belgium did it whats to stop Ireland?

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/results?event=1893&voter=BE

I thought that aswell but looking at the results from around Europe that's exactly what Belgium did. There is a massive Armenian diaspora in Belgium and in order to get rid of the diaspora vote the jury placed Armenia 2nd last.. As bad as Poland were I dont think Armenia was the 2nd worst song in the Final. If Belgium did it whats to stop Ireland?

The bloc voting wasn't as noticeable this year so maybe the juries did make an effort to cancel it out.
    Not as many as the 12 points for next door neighbour or from large ex pat communities as in years past. The voting has always had a dodgy element to it and while it mightnt always dictate the winner for other placings it does.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Its weird though; we see it as a competition big acts should want to avoid cause it could damage their reputation.

Other countries send their biggest acts because they don't see it that way. It's that attitude I think we'll need to change before we actually do well again.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,168 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Really enjoyed the show last night, one of the best in recent memory :)

Tips for Ireland next year...

1. No mentors
    2. No cultural stereotypes
    3. Select a young act and let them write their own song without any outside interference, or influence from Lulu Walsh :D

Job done :)

• Advertisement

Its weird though; we see it as a competition big acts should want to avoid cause it could damage their reputation.

Other countries send their biggest acts because they don't see it that way. It's that attitude I think we'll need to change before we actually do well again.

This - absolutely.

As for trying to 'tick all the boxes' to appeal to a certain type of audience, that's exactly what we shouldn't be doing. The Netherlands sent something different which we've never seen the likes of in Eurovision before and they came second.

Austria didn't just win because they sent a drag act with a beard, they won because Conchita's performance was outstanding. She wasn't expected to win at all until people saw her performance in the semi final on Thursday.

1. No mentors
    3. Select a young act and let them write their own song without any outside interference, or influence from Lulu Walsh :D

An excellent plan.

The plan is fail to qualify again, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,369 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Hazel Kaneswaren was giving out in yesterdays paper about acts who have "their boobs out" getting through while Ireland didn't qualify.

Sounds like sour grapes to me, and in fairness there was a fair bit of boobage on display from the Irish singer as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,113 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

1. No mentors

4. No RTE interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

5. A broad range of choice. Instead of the usual shortlist of five, follow the lead of Norway and others and have a shortlist of at least ten songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mikaela89

Hi everyone. As a Swedish person I know very little about your national selections, but it seems you had too few to choose from. Here in Sweden the competition goes on for 4 weeks, with 8 new songs every week, and then 2 entries every week qualifying for the grand final where we choose the Swedish entry for Eurovision. I'm not saying this is the ideal format, but it does give you more than lets say 5 songs to vote for.

This year's entry from Ireland just wasn't catchy enough. It was too midtempo and forgettable. Also, Kasey seemed very uncomfortable on stage. I loved Jedward 2011 and I think thats the type of music you need to go for. Whatever you do - DON'T send Johnny Logan. It won't work. (Look what happened with Dana international 2012, or Charlotte Nilsson 2008. People don't want old.)
    Best of luck for 2015!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

Remember that songwriting competition TV show on RTE last year? That was great, if they can make that why are the Eurovision efforts so sh1t?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

1. No mentors

and something for us...

This process is going to take time. Look at Austria. This is their first win since 1966. These things take time and a lot of luck. There's a win for us in the distant future no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    ohhh booing russia :( it's not their faults with whats going on

Go away out of that, we should raise civil sanction against russia across the board refuse to recognize their nations status. Refuse them entry in any kind of international competition. At the end of the day they were representing the country. Why people feel up in arms because they "were only 17" I will never know. Would it have been okay if they were 37.

Go away out of that, we should raise civil sanction against russia across the board refuse to recognize their nations status. Refuse them entry in any kind of international competition. At the end of the day they were representing the country. Why people feel up in arms because they "were only 17" I will never know. Would it have been okay if they were 37.

What a load of rubbish. Israel have done far worse than Russia the past decade and haven't faced this kind of criticism.

The booing was petty and unnecessary. As if Putin gives a toss. The ones it upset the most were the two teenagers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

was the skit with graham norton and the presenters pre-planned?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

fryup wrote: »
    was the skit with graham norton and the presenters pre-planned?

I read somewhere (possibly here!) that he knew about the camera but not the confetti.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

What a load of rubbish. Israel have done far worse than Russia the past decade and haven't faced this kind of criticism.

The booing was petty and unnecessary. As if Putin gives a toss. The ones it upset the most were the two teenagers.

We are talking about right now. People get booed all the time have you ever watch a poor performance. The motivation for the booing is irrelevant.

We are talking about right now. People get booed all the time have you ever watch a poor performance. The motivation for the booing is irrelevant.

The motivation for the booing is relevant because they were booed to make a political point which they had nothing to do with whatsoever. They are just a couple of teenagers who were made into scapegoats by a petty crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

The motivation for the booing is relevant because they were booed to make a political point which they had nothing to do with whatsoever. They are just a couple of teenagers who were made into scapegoats by a petty crowd.

Agree 100% - even the woman who announced Russia's results got booed, nothing to do with performance or any of that nonsense - and it was wrong, it's not as if the two girls are responsible for Russia's foreign policies, it was petty and uneccessary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

exactly what I said, I genuinely believe this is what happens. It is suspicious, unfortunate and a little bit scammy, but I prefer this than the alternative which is pure bloc voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,577 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

My 7th k post in rough seas of a winter that hasn't yet died I am getting shook and aged below the water line. I'm not up to J Logans recovery but if he is doing lessons in old school recovery I am all in...

enda-kenny-cut-taxes.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

In all seriousness - do you think RTE actually want to win it? Would the cost of hosting be off putting?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,577 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

In all seriousness - do you think RTE actually want to win it? Would the cost of hosting be off putting?

Your looking at much more costs for the provider than they will ever make back but for the host country it will make probably 10 times as much in tourism and tourism exposure.

• Advertisement

Your looking at much more costs for the provider than they will ever make back but for the host country it will make probably 10 times as much in tourism and tourism exposure.

I vaguely remember reading that it actually usually costs the country a bomb; that despite what you'd think, the income doesn't outweigh the expenditure.

Will say i loved the interval videos last night; in recent times, I've become numb to 100 people dancing on stage. The funny videos were actually completely different and brilliant, and showed you don't need to spend a load of money to make a memorable interval act.

Advertisement