Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toddler shoots parent dead in Super Market

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

2011 wrote: »
    This has nothing to do with leaving the safety catch off. It has everything to do with children getting their hands on a firearm. Children should never be able to get their hands on a gun regardless of whether the safety is on or off, the gun is loaded or not, assembled or disassembled.

Besides many guns don't have a safety catch such as a revolver.
    Which is why the firing chamber should be empty when not in use.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

You are missing the point.
    Empty or not children should not be able to get their hands on a firearm, period.

Besides typically a revolver has 6 chambers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I remember my first time in the states. I was walking around a walmart in Fort Pierce, Florida after arriving a few hours earlier which is by no means a nice place. Anyway I was utterly shocked to see a guy beside me with a trolly out shopping with the wife and wearing a holster with a gun in it. That made me feel uneasy. Over the next few weeks I got used to seeing that kind of thing.

Florida doesn't have open carry laws. You shouldn't have seen any guns visible on people. A holster doesn't fall under the concealed definition unless it was over the shoulder and under a jacket and you seen it as they leaned forward or something.

Empty or not children should not be able to get their hands on a firearm, period.

I was only making the point that when a gun doesn't have a safety catch like a revolver you only load 5 chambers and leave the 6th chamber empty. The chamber in

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That's true. Though there's still another aspect to this. Have you ever seen a woman's bag? Ever tried to look in a woman's bag for anything? Yeah, sometimes you need to dig in that thing like a dog.
    Having a loaded weapon means there's a chance, however small, of accidental discharge while rummaging about in the bag.

Whatever about the insanity of wanting to carry a weapon in a public place, it's pure stupidity that it's legal to carry weapons which do not or cannot have safety catches. If that means revolvers are banned under concealed or open carry laws, so be it. It would prevent very preventable incidents like this one from occurring.

Anyway, another contender for a Darwin award.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Well, give guns to stupid people... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Just going to do my shopping

Where's my gun and my child?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,175 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

and rightly so, he'd deserve it. if you practice violence, then to jail you deserve to go.

You really are some muppet (be it a troll or not) for actually condemmning a pensioner for defending his grand daughter from being raped.

Whatever about condemmning a woman for being very sloppy allowing a loaded firearm anywhere near her young child, I find it ridiculous that some posters are having a pop at the poor pensioner who rightly shot some scrots who were going to rape his grand daughter.

FFS what planet do some gobshytes around here inhabit ?
    Oh yeah the one where the perps rights are paramount and the rights of the victims are of lesser concern.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

errlloyd wrote: »
    Silly example really, if he lived in Ireland the three attackers wouldn't have had guns either. And probably therefore wouldn't have the confidence to attack.

On what planet are you living? The amount of pensioners who are attacked in their own homes in Ireland every year and you are claiming the scumbags wouldn't have the confidence to attack without guns. Open your eyes and a newspaper some day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

MadsL wrote: »
    1,370 over what time period ?

http://usconservatives.about.com/od/capitalpunishment/a/Putting-Gun-Death-Statistics-In-Perspective.htm
    There are roughly 32,000 gun deaths per year in the United States. Of those, around 60% are suicides. About 3% are accidental deaths (between 700-800 deaths). About 34% of deaths (just over 11,000 in both 2010 and 2011) make up the remainder of gun deaths and are classified as homicides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭ebbsy

It is legal to hold a gun in America, and the relevant permits were in order.

God bless America.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

On what planet are you living? The amount of pensioners who are attacked in their own homes in Ireland every year and you are claiming the scumbags wouldn't have the confidence to attack without guns. Open your eyes and a newspaper some day.
    There was a 96 year old woman robbed on Christmas Day (in Waterford I think was it?).....but those who believe guns can do no wrong dont like facts much.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

MrPudding wrote: »
    Really? Do you mean has no safety or has no safety catch? Big difference. Glocks, for example has no safety catch but they have a grip safety. Had it been a block in her purse this would not have happened.

MrP

Not all Glocks have the grip safety, vast majority of them do not. Any of those that do have been modified from the factory standard with an aftermarket kit. If you went and bought one off the shelf- it wouldn't have any external safety, only the trigger safety.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭GalwayGuitar

and rightly so, he'd deserve it. if you practice violence, then to jail you deserve to go.

Poor attempt at trolling. Also, why do you hate capital letters?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

There was a 96 year old woman robbed on Christmas Day (in Waterford I think was it?).....but those who believe guns can do no wrong dont like facts much.

Are you agreeing with me or disagreeing?

I suppose she became a victim of her own stupidity.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

ebbsy wrote: »
    It is legal to hold a gun in America, and the relevant permits were in order.

God bless America.

In Ireland civilians can legally hold a firearm too, except that we refer to the relevent permit as "firearms certificate".

God bless Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

jmayo wrote: »
    You really are some muppet (be it a troll or not) for actually condemmning a pensioner for defending his grand daughter from being raped.

Whatever about condemmning a woman for being very sloppy allowing a loaded firearm anywhere near her young child, I find it ridiculous that some posters are having a pop at the poor pensioner who rightly shot some scrots who were going to rape his grand daughter.

FFS what planet do some gobshytes around here inhabit ?
    Oh yeah the one where the perps rights are paramount and the rights of the victims are of lesser concern.
    bull ****ing ****. the usual rabel rabel ****wittery.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Poor attempt at trolling. Also, why do you hate capital letters?
    so you have no point then in relation to what i said? grand, thought so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I wonder how old the child will be when he is told about what he did.

• Advertisement

jimboblep wrote: »
    So you would stand and cheer them on as they rape your grandchild or would you just ask them to stop in a harsh voice.
    you know I used to think you genuinely believed the crap you spew forth, I realise now you are either a troll or just a complete imbecile
    having a different opinion does not a troll make. mind you i wouldn't expect someone who posts rabel rabel to realize that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Tragic case. I hope the owner of the gun can be charged with manslaughter and/or murder.

SD

StudentDad wrote: »
    Tragic case. I hope the owner of the gun can be charged with manslaughter and/or murder.

SD

Pretty hard to charge a dead person.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

In Ireland civilians can legally hold a firearm too, except that we refer to the relevent permit as "firearms certificate".

God bless Ireland.

I'm pretty sure you can't carry it around with you concealed or otherwise in public though. That particular bit of of lunacy hasn't reached our shores.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭Melodeon

I was only making the point that when a gun doesn't have a safety catch like a revolver you only load 5 chambers and leave the 6th chamber empty. The chamber in

This doesn't apply to modern revolvers with floating firing pins, or those with fixed hammer pins and a hammer block.
    The issue for early revolvers with fixed hammer pins and fully charged cylinders was that when the hammer was at rest against the action, the pin protruded through the action and rested on the primer of the cartridge in the top chamber of the cylinder.
    A decent knock on the hammer from the outside by any means (dropped firearm, belt of a stick/rock, etc) could then discharge the cartridge.
    Hammer blocks and floating firing pins were developed to counter this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

jimboblep wrote: »
    So you would stand and cheer them on as they rape your grandchild or would you just ask them to stop in a harsh voice.
    you know I used to think you genuinely believed the crap you spew forth, I realise now you are either a troll or just a complete imbecile

Worst kind of strawman. Not believing in killing =/= believing in doing nothing about crime. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Strider wrote: »
    Pretty hard to charge a dead person.

The article does not indicate if it is the childs parent who has been killed or another individual. Either way there have to be consequences beyond, 'the child did it.'

At the end of the day, an adult with children in tow, brought a loaded handgun shopping and allowed one of those kids access to it. It simply isn't enough to go oh dear, the gun went off.

There has to be a sanction for such unbelievable stupidity.

SD

StudentDad wrote: »
    The article does not indicate if it is the childs parent who has been killed or another individual. Either way there have to be consequences beyond, 'the child did it.

SD

It has been confirmed that it was the child's mother on several sites; www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/12/30/woman-shot-with-own-gun/21062089/

What consequences would you like to see?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

It's easy to blame the victim here - but what if she'd be attacked? That gun could have saved her life!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

UCDVet wrote: »
    It's easy to blame the victim here - but what if she'd be attacked? That gun could have saved her life!
    Anything is possible.
    She could have killed her child.
    Her child could have shot a terrorist.
    She could have got into an argument with another customer and shot them.

Advertisement