Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toddler shoots parent dead in Super Market

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Poor kid :-(

Before or after the death?

degsie wrote: »
    Jeezz... who pissed on your cornflakes?

Very simple question:

If you need to carry a gun with you at all times (because there's danger everywhere, allegedly) then why would you bring a baby where only armed people should go?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Its very easy to read this story and condemn Americas gun laws, but we don't hear the stories about all the lives saved by carrying guns everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Egginacup wrote: »
    Very simple question:

If you need to carry a gun with you at all times (because there's danger everywhere, allegedly) then why would you bring a baby where only armed people should go?

Ying. Yang.

http://www.news10.net/story/news/2014/01/21/4699201/
    FOWLER,CA (AP) - A California mother furiously battled an masked intruder trying to kidnap her toddler daughter from their home.

Fresno County sheriff's investigators say a man wearing a black ski mask broke into the home west of Fowler just before 9 a.m. Tuesday. He knocked the woman to the floor and struck and kicked her.

The Fresno Bee says the man then grabbed the woman's 2-year-old daughter and tried to get to his car. The mother got a shotgun and ordered the attacker to release the girl.

Investigators say he dropped the child and drove away.

14 year old saves grandmother during home invasion...

http://www.wbtv.com/story/27644684/one-shot-killed-during-alleged-break-in-in-southeast-charlotte

Strider wrote: »
    Glock pistols, for instance, don't have a manual safety. Glocks use the 'safe action' system whereby your finger has to engage a smaller trigger on the main trigger then it will fire. It means your finger has to be square on the trigger for it to finger, it won't go off if it snags something etc.

The trigger pull is somewhat heavy on a Glock but you can lighten it.

Oh who gives a sh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Oh who gives a sh1t.

That's the spirit.

MadsL wrote: »

No, if it's such a war out there then don't you think this mother was extremely derelict of her duties as a protector to take a two-year-old where only armed adults should be?

I can tell you this much. If I had to go to a place where I needed to carry a loaded gun then I would NEVER bring a child there. I would never even think about going there unless I really had to myself.

grizzly wrote: »
    Its very easy to read this story and condemn Americas gun laws, but we don't hear the stories about all the lives saved by carrying guns everyday.

Give us a few examples there then....all the lives saved, go on...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

No, if it's such a war out there then don't you think this mother was extremely derelict of her duties as a protector to take a two-year-old where only armed adults should be?

I can tell you this much. If I had to go to a place where I needed to carry a loaded gun then I would NEVER bring a child there. I would never even think about going there unless I really had to myself.

Eh, the man broke into the woman's home and tried to take her child. She didn't take her anywhere.

I don't think there is anything wrong with having a gun for home defense. If that happened to me, and I had a gun, fcucking right I would shoot someone who came into my house and tried to take my child. That woman showed incredible restraint by not firing the weapon IMO.

Open carrying is different. I have seen people in the supermarket here wearing guns in holsters and it did make me feel uneasy. I just don't see the need for it.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Eh, the man broke into the woman's home and tried to take her child. She didn't take her anywhere.

No children have ever been abducted in a supermarket??

• Advertisement

I can't recall hearing about any cases of children being abducted from a supermarket. A cursory Google doesn't bring up any reliable results. Doesnt mean it's never happened but I don't think it is common enough to warrant carrying a weapon on the off chance you may have to save a child from abduction.

Give us a few examples there then....all the lives saved, go on...

http://gunssavelives.net/

1370 cases.

Probably should be a darwin award, to be fair.

"I need a gun to defeat someone who I couldn't defeat with my bare hands"

..and she gets (with that gun) killed by a child who can just about walk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Has George Bush and Iraq been mentioned yet?

So what happens if her bag gets snatched? Call the police and say that if that serial number ends up murdering someone, it's not her?

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I can't recall hearing about any cases of children being abducted from a supermarket. A cursory Google doesn't bring up any reliable results. Doesnt mean it's never happened but I don't think it is common enough to warrant carrying a weapon on the off chance you may have to save a child from abduction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Adam_Walsh

Ah sure bring a flame thrower while you're at it. I'm sure you can dream up some bullsh1t excuse for needing it just in case.
    Maybe the fridges broke and all the ice was about to cascade in slush floes towards a buggy but the flame thrower came in handy to blast it all to steam and save the day...just before a child was abducted

Rockin!

One case over 30 years ago? My point stands that it is not a common enough occurrence to warrant carrying a gun in case you have to prevent an abduction. It's probably more likely that a person would be shot with their own weapon than save a child's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

How ironic that the womans own paranoia killed her. Can't ever imagine the wife saying don't forget your glock if your going shopping with the kids, but then again all I worry about when I'm shopping with the kids is has some dick who has no children parked in the family car park space I wanted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Classic boards, up in arms over a law in a foreign country!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Tugboats wrote: »
    Classic boards, up in arms over a law in a foreign country!

Bad choice of words, more kicking up a fuss, than taking up arms over a thread on boards.....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The best oxymoronic name for a site ever, with the stress on the moron part.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Strider wrote: »
    Some guns don't have a safety.
    Really? Do you mean has no safety or has no safety catch? Big difference. Glocks, for example has no safety catch but they have a grip safety. Had it been a block in her purse this would not have happened.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭degsie

MrPudding wrote: »
    Really? Do you mean has no safety or has no safety catch? Big difference. Glocks, for example has no safety catch but they have a grip safety. Had it been a block in her purse this would not have happened.
    T
    MrP

This I agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Murica........the guns are fine and kill no one.....its the toddlers.....thats why muricans need guns to protect themselves and there freedom from gun toting babies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Omackeral wrote: »
    The best oxymoronic name for a site ever, with the stress on the moron part.

Hey a gun saved this babies life you cant deny that. Perfect murica logic

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Leaving a loaded gun with the safety off really is dicing with death.

This has nothing to do with leaving the safety catch off. It has everything to do with children getting their hands on a firearm. Children should never be able to get their hands on a gun regardless of whether the safety is on or off, the gun is loaded or not, assembled or disassembled.

Besides many guns don't have a safety catch such as a revolver.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Ludicrous america strikes again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

1370 versus... how many gun murders per year in the US?

Advertisement