Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toddler shoots parent dead in Super Market

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

i blame family guy

You can't go blaming honest documentaries for everything that happens in America, they're just trying to educate everyone on typical suburbia problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

washman3 wrote: »
    20 years ago you would probably have ridiculed somebody carrying a mobile phone...

Nope, wandering around visibly armed as an 'ordinary' citizen is lame. I also doubt it has little to do with constitutional rights or for personal protection but nerdy need to look like a badass. I bet the people who do it get aroused everytime they get a chance to go outside with their gun on and make sure everyone can see them strut with their cool gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

You really should visit a gun shop in the US. If you have the right permit you can pretty much buy anything.
    So.. it's like Ammu-nation in GTA? Lvl 120 permit for the Minigun?
    Well I'll certainly be more careful in Walmart.
    Why not pick up a shotgun while you're in there? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

One person saved which is great, but versus what is it, 100 or so kids killed accidentally by guns a year in the US?

To hit all three and kill one, he had to have had some decent training experience behind him as well which most gun yielding yanks will not have.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's pretty much one person a week in the US being killed accidentally by a male under 14 getting access to a legally owned but unsecured firearm. http://everytown.org/documents/2014/10/innocents-lost.pdf see graph on page 8

One toddler a fortnight / one three year old a month killing themselves.

In 2013 toddlers killed more people in the US than terrorists.

This isn't news, it happens often enough to be a statistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Poor kid :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

washman3 wrote: »
    20 years ago you would probably have ridiculed somebody carrying a mobile phone...
    Because a mobile phone and a potentially lethal weapon are *of course* directly comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's pretty much one person a week in the US being killed accidentally by a male under 14 getting access to a legally owned but unsecured firearm. http://everytown.org/documents/2014/10/innocents-lost.pdf see graph on page 8

One toddler a fortnight / one three year old a month killing themselves.

In 2013 toddlers killed more people in the US than terrorists.

This isn't news, it happens often enough to be a statistic.

Sweet jesus and still no common sense

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Charlie19 wrote: »
    http://news.sky.com/story/1399907/two-year-old-boy-shoots-dead-woman-at-walmart

Two year old takes gun from his mothers purse and shoots her dead in walmart. Very sad but doesn't suprise me on the country.

Edit: Woman has not been confirmed has the boys mother.

Roll on 10 years

"So, how did my mom die?"

"Here, take some more Zanax or Ritalin or Prozac. It's supposed to be good for you."

"But (gulp) how did she die? Where did she go? What happened?"

<don't tell her....don't do it!?>

"She's with the angels now. Don't forget your Baretta on the way to the ice rink."

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

If people want to carry guns, they should at least have the safety on. To an extent, I can agree with being allowed to have a gun in your own home, but I've never heard of someone actually saving themselves with a gun outside their home. Pepper spray or a taser would be much more suitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

If people want to carry guns, they should at least have the safety on.

Again, some guns do not have a safety.
    I've never heard of someone actually saving themselves with a gun outside their home.

Only the negative cases get air time over here, if you search you'll find plenty on US sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Strider wrote: »
    Again, some guns do not have a safety.

One would think that would be on the requirements list when purchasing. That said if you're stupid enough to be carrying it around in your bag in the first place...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

I hope for Walmart's sake they had a disclaimer clearly printed on the shopping cart.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

If only she had a gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I'm generally for tight gun control laws. That said if I went to live in the states I'd be all:

just in case, like.

YFlyer wrote: »
    If only she had a gun.

:pac:

Guns don't kill people, toddlers who haven't been trained (potty-wise or otherwise) to handle a gun kill people.

Go NRA!

I wonder what this twit's stance was on something like smoking in a car with kids around? Most likely "IT'S CHILD ABUSE!!!", or allowing a kid to cycle a bike without multiple helmets and stabilisers and all kinds of safety mechanisms.

And yet she brings a loaded pistol to go fcuking shopping with a 2 year-old.

And now she's dead.

CRETIN!

Good riddance.

Get that little toddler into a home where there is some gentleness.

Egginacup wrote: »
    I wonder what this twit's stance was on something like smoking in a car with kids around? Most likely "IT'S CHILD ABUSE!!!", or allowing a kid to cycle a bike without multiple helmets and stabilisers and all kinds of safety mechanisms.

And yet she brings a loaded pistol to go fcuking shopping with a 2 year-old.

And now she's dead.

CRETIN!

Good riddance.

Get that little toddler into a home where there is some gentleness.

It was a tragic accident. Kid has no mother now. Show some humanity for goodness sake.

degsie wrote: »
    It was a tragic accident. Kid has no mother now. Show some humanity for goodness sake.

And if that stupid mother with her absurd, retarded thought to have a loaded firearm in her bag was actually some other stupid retarded mother who had maybe insulin or weed or paracetemol or a razor blade to pare off the skin from her heels or bunions and the kid got injured or died, you be calling for the woman to be hanged and all her other offspring to be scattered to the winds.

Humanity? Don't insult me.
    If life is so dangerous that you have to bring a loaded gun to buy groceries then you shouldn't bring a child in the FIRST place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Ah Jesus, very sad. For gods sake, if you insist on carrying around a firearm then you gotta look after it.

• Advertisement

Egginacup wrote: »
    And if that stupid mother with her absurd, retarded thought to have a loaded firearm in her bag was actually some other stupid retarded mother who had maybe insulin or weed or paracetemol or a razor blade to pare off the skin from her heels or bunions and the kid got injured or died, you be calling for the woman to be hanged and all her other offspring to be scattered to the winds.

Humanity? Don't insult me.
    If life is so dangerous that you have to bring a loaded gun to buy groceries then you shouldn't bring a child in the FIRST place!

Jeezz... who pissed on your cornflakes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

What if the mother had of been carrying an assault rifle? Had it outgunned? Pew pew!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

degsie wrote: »
    Jeezz... who pissed on your cornflakes?

Some Americans I'd guess and he's been whining ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Silly example really, if he lived in Ireland the three attackers wouldn't have had guns either. And probably therefore wouldn't have the confidence to attack.

Because it's in Our constitution and chuck Norris films

So is Article VI

Never stopped you though

errlloyd wrote: »
    Silly example really, if he lived in Ireland the three attackers wouldn't have had guns either. And probably therefore wouldn't have the confidence to attack.

No, they'd just be armed with screwdrivers or knives and bury one in his neck while he stood there empty handed. Do you really think 3 young lads would be afraid of pensioner? 'wouldn't have the confidence to attack' lol

Some criminals here aren't even afraid of someone with a gun if this case is anything to go by;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82720132&postcount=61

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Strider wrote: »
    No, they'd just be armed with screwdrivers or knives and bury one in his neck while he stood there empty handed. Do you really think 3 young lads would be afraid of pensioner? 'wouldn't have the confidence to attack' lol

Some criminals here aren't even afraid of someone with a gun if this case is anything to go by;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82720132&postcount=61

Nonsense. Its easier to escape a knife than a gun, and in the house you could run and get your own knife or have something in defence. His main point was true, most times the criminal won't have a real gun and therefore the need to have a gun to protect yourself is not an issue. These things are common in America because of the culture they do happen here, but very rarely. Anyone who defends the gun culture is just plain mad.

tvnutz wrote: »
    Nonsense. Its easier to escape a knife than a gun, and in the house you could run and get your own knife or have something in defence.

The guy's a pensioner, not Jet Li..I don't think he would be engaging in knife fights with 3 lads who are 1/3rd his age. The gun evened the odds for the old guy, if he didn't have it they'd have run roughshod over him with or without guns, whether you agree with the culture or not, that's a fact.

I'm not trying to convince you the culture in the US is correct, I don't even agree with it myself, but in this instance this man being armed saved his granddaughter from being raped and possibly saved both their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

If everyone carried 2 guns this would have never happened. Thanks Obama.

• Advertisement

Aineoil wrote: »
    Strange culture. I don't understand the way Americans like to wear guns so publicly.

They don't like an even fight.

You'd never see an American who wasn't frightened of something, just walking around without some visual announcement of him having "defense".

If you're so brave then walk naked.
    If you're so frightened then stay inside.

Guns to a fcuking deli :pac:, yet sh1tting themselves over ebola.

Advertisement