Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feckin weather!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Anyone else miss their weekend golf outing due to frost? We had it very heavy both Saturday and Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Anyone else miss their weekend golf outing due to frost? We had it very heavy both Saturday and Sunday.

I'd be surprised if there was much golf being played anywhere over the weekend. Ours was closed Saturday and Sunday and I presume again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,841 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

ours was open at 11 on saturday but i didnt get out :(

Open as normal on Saturday and from 11am on Sunday with temp greens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Missed both Saturday and Sunday as the course was frozen solid. Such a pity as they were beautiful days for golf, I would take cold and crisp weather any day of 25 degrees!

• Advertisement

Exactly wrote: »
    Open as normal on Saturday and from 11am on Sunday with temp greens

Can't stand temp greens, would rather not play at all TBH.

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    Can't stand temp greens, would rather not play at all TBH.

They're horrible but we have a team competition running at the moment, so needs must....

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Took my name off timesheet last Wednesday for a time early Saturday. It was taken within 10 secs.
    Felt bad for him. Closed until 12 Saturday and 1 Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

temp greens. They're a pain but still better than not playing.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭willabur

Landed up to my course at 9 yesterday morning to find it was closed pending further inspection. Had a family event in the early afternoon so didn't have the time to hang around. I do see this morning that the comp went ahead. Would have appreciated if the club had put it on twitter or facebook that the course was frozen and that tee times were delayed. Would have saved me 50 mins in the car.

Previous golf club I was a member off use to be quite good on that front

• Advertisement

willabur wrote: »
    Landed up to my course at 9 yesterday morning to find it was closed pending further inspection. Had a family event in the early afternoon so didn't have the time to hang around. I do see this morning that the comp went ahead. Would have appreciated if the club had put it on twitter or facebook that the course was frozen and that tee times were delayed. Would have saved me 50 mins in the car.

That's bad form.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Very easy for club to put a banner message up on the BRS system so all those on the timesheet can check themselves and save bother of travelling and make decision to do something else instead of golf

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Very easy for club to put a banner message up on the BRS system so all those on the timesheet can check themselves and save bother of travelling and make decision to do something else instead of golf

We are good at that in our club. Even yesterday there was 2 emails to members on the timesheet advising first of all about the inspection and then ultimately that it was closed for the day. I was at the club myself and we had a few people turn up but they hadn't checked either the BRS or email so it wasn't the clubs fault. :rolleyes:

Twitter and Facebook announcements aren’t going to catch most golfers. Probably get less than 20% at best I bet.

You could have made a phone call to save you travelling. I think most clubs have an announcement on the phones regarding course status.

Also agree with previous poster regarding BRS banner, much better way to notify members.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Our club sends out a text message to everyone on the timesheet in case this happens, saves us doing what you had to do

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Our club sends out a text message to everyone on the timesheet in case this happens, saves us doing what you had to do
    We get an email through the BRS system. Whether we're booked in or not. As soon as the greenkeeper has checked the course. Usually around half eight to nine.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭moycullen14

What is the best way to handle a delayed start due to frost?

We were delayed last Saturday until about 11:30am. A big queue on the first tee with all the delayed starters. Some went off and started on the back nine but that just caused another logjam 2 hours later. Cue much frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Our club has a recorded message when you call the golf club. For course conditions press 1. If I'm every in doubt regarding the possibility of the course being closed I just make a quick call. Works well.

fearruanua wrote: »
    Our club has a recorded message when you call the golf club. For course conditions press 1. If I'm every in doubt regarding the possibility of the course being closed I just make a quick call. Works well.

Ours has the same, updated by the greens keepers first thing every morning. It's very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

We were delayed last Saturday until about 11:30am. A big queue on the first tee with all the delayed starters. Some went off and started on the back nine but that just caused another logjam 2 hours later. Cue much frustration.
    Not much you can do about it other than maybe send groups to the second, third, fourth etc. to tee off at the appointed time the course is to open. Shotgun start basically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Not much you can do about it other than maybe send groups to the second, third, fourth etc. to tee off at the appointed time the course is to open. Shotgun start basically.
    Should probably switch the comp from 18 holes to 2 9-hole comps too. That would remove the bottleneck when people walk off 18 & back to the 1st

In our club, if the course is closed due to frost then anybody on the timesheet before the course opens again loses their place. It's a pain if you lose your slot, but it prevents what you've described above happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Assuming it's an 18 hole comp, Done properly a shotgun start can accommodate 22 groups of 3 or 4 in most cases, you have a group on every teebox and an extra group on each of the par 3s..so group 1 to 18 on each teebox and again assuming you don't follow a par 3 with another par 3 you would have eg.group 4b 9b 12b and 17b waiting at par 3s,easy to follow as everybody tees off together and when the par 3s clear you tee off and the group behind should only be coming up to the green previous..Very unlikely that you would have so many people waiting around but it does work well and everybody is back in the clubhouse in and around the same time for a bit of food drink and the banter

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Assuming it's an 18 hole comp, Done properly a shotgun start can accommodate 22 groups of 3 or 4 in most cases, you have a group on every teebox and an extra group on each of the par 3s..so group 1 to 18 on each teebox and again assuming you don't follow a par 3 with another par 3 you would have eg.group 4b 9b 12b and 17b waiting at par 3s,easy to follow as everybody tees off together and when the par 3s clear you tee off and the group behind should only be coming up to the green previous..Very unlikely that you would have so many people waiting around but it does work well and everybody is back in the clubhouse in and around the same time for a bit of food drink and the banter

logic there. its amazing how many times i've played shotgun starts over the years and the organisers just double up on the pars 5's. why?????!!!!! because it makes no sense, especially if the par 5 is after a par 3. it only creates a logjam
    double ups should always be after par 5's or long par 4's. that way by the time the first group on the long holes get to their second hole of the day, 2 groups should have been able to tee off and little to no backlog is caused

I can get through most weather but this sunday morning looks like its going to be desperately bad

Moate was open on Saturday so we got a good few out to play but had no chance of being open yesterday.

like an idiot I went to the course sunday morning - no else showed up.
    They eventually sent a notification out that the course was closed for the day after I got home.
    In fairness there was water in places where there normally never is water

I actually sent out the notification that our course was closed to everyone on the timesheet at 8am on Sunday although I'm sure most of them expected it to be closed anyway.

We always wait until the morning before deciding we're closed just in case the weather forecast was way off. Sometimes it is but this time it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

like an idiot I went to the course sunday morning - no else showed up.
    They eventually sent a notification out that the course was closed for the day after I got home.
    In fairness there was water in places where there normally never is water

Where did they send out that notification? I was down to play and one of my playing partners let me know, but I didn't receive anything from the club.

• Advertisement

blue note wrote: »
    Where did they send out that notification? I was down to play and one of my playing partners let me know, but I didn't receive anything from the club.

I got a text message from Chronogolf.
    They didn't officially close the course until just before 9am. They were happy to let people go out before that its just that there were no people. I guess more sensible folk than myself looked out the window and just didn't go

Advertisement