Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feckin weather!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

So, having survived the beast, I was hoping that this weekend would see my course back open, but according to some forecasts we might have the snow back!!!

The golf season in Ireland seems to be getting shorter & shorter

It is seriously depressing. Last September the ground was soft. It reckon the first week of April likely to be the next chance for an outing. Will the ground ever dry up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Worst winter I can remember. Even when the course wasnt closed, conditions, more often than not, were still miserable to make it unlikely that many would bother teeing it up. We're due a good summer, thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭benny79

Have to say Im really lucky with my club being so dry for a parkland.. Opened today after 35mm of rain fell yesterday and on all full greens.. I have my issues of things within the club as how its run and certain comp formats etc.. But its rare for it to close and very rare for it to be soft after heavy rain, was told its due to the soil in the ground its built on how the drainage is so good..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

benny79 wrote: »
    Have to say Im really lucky with my club being so dry for a parkland.. Opened today after 35mm of rain fell yesterday and on all full greens.. I have my issues of things within the club as how its run and certain comp formats etc.. But its rare for it to close and very rare for it to be soft after heavy rain, was told its due to the soil in the ground its built on how the drainage is so good..

count yourself lucky!

we are def due a good summer after this winter anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

benny79 wrote: »
    Played a few holes in Blessington Lakes today, course held up brilliantly after all the snow and then rain, Fairways firm underfoot. Played Athy last Saturday morning very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

ziggy wrote: »

hope ya got the weather if ya played it today. due to play it next week for the first time. what condition is it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Out yesterday and came in after 14 holes because having been soaked the wind was cutting us in two, then word came the comp was cancelled.......

......woke up to a covering of snow today, so no golf today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Fourth Sunday in a row The blessed nine has being frosted or snowed off just as we get control of our own destiny the weather gods say nay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

HighLine wrote: »
    On the flip side of that... clubs have taken a big financial hit thus far this winter with all the closures (comp entries, green fees, bar and food) so if anything you might see slight sub increases next year.

Can see a few people packing in the subs after this winter , I haven't been out in about a month mainly due to weather and commitments , sub expired at beginning of March and I have already had a few chaser emails and phones calls wondering if I am renewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Due to play Moyvally in the morning.

YR.no main page is saying it's ok, .2mm here and there, hour by hour is giving 15mm!

Other sites are saying its small if anything, guess I'll have to wait.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Played Tullamore this evening, only got 9 holes before the heavens opened. Thunder was rumbling around us on two sides for an hour or so but then it let loose!! Haven’t seen thunder / lightening or rain like it in years.

Wouldn’t mind but love a game after work on a Friday ☹️☹️☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Look at that. Over two months without a complaint about the weather. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

...so looks like we're into some decent temps from Wednesday onto the weekend.....

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭Glebee

Apart from the last few weeks, weather as been great. A rise in temp would get a bit of drying going on I guess. Its great seeing the evenings starting to get brighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

Played athy yestetday rained for pretty much 18 holes nightmare dry all the gear swap bags for today. Let's hope for good last few weeks of golfing weather

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

August has been desperate yet again, thankfully the weather for the weekend is looking up.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Booked in for portrush this sunday, 1st time playing it. Weather forecast is currently heavy showers, praying for a drastic change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Curly head

Booked in for portrush this sunday, 1st time playing it. Weather forecast is currently heavy showers, praying for a drastic change.

Good luck with that. Hope it goes well

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Well that's about it for this year. Current club was closed yesterday and today due to flooding. It was quite soft last weekend and with more rain promised next week its probably 9 Hole comps going forward. Only really got 6 months of full course this year.
    Going back to my previous club in the coming month as it holds up a lot better over the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Well that's about it for this year. Current club was closed yesterday and today due to flooding. It was quite soft last weekend and with more rain promised next week its probably 9 Hole comps going forward. Only really got 6 months of full course this year.
    Going back to my previous club in the coming month as it holds up a lot better over the winter.

What club are you in now ? What was your previous club

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Looks like its the end of qualifying for those of us not members of links courses.

Let the banditry begin :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Looks like its the end of qualifying for those of us not members of links courses.

Let the banditry begin :-)

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Booked to play Druids Glen on Friday..don't think that will go ahead judging by the weather expected

I had Thursday booked off for two rounds but cancelled, I've got three more society outings and if I get those in reasonable weather I'm happy to hang the boots up until 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Some rain the last few weeks.

Qualifying over for us :(

Was placing everywhere last weekend.
    Going to be a long winter period, qualifying not expected to return until April.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

At least your course was open, yesterday was glorious weather but course closed for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,841 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

played Saturday and despite being an absolute downpour for most of the day and pretty much my entire round, we had good conditions still underfoot and thankfully I got a cut rather than .1 :)

hopefully will get another few weeks of qualifying

Advertisement