Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 Irish CX Champs - all you need to know

Options
  • 29-12-2014 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

Dear friend cyclocrosser boardsie,

That time of year is upon us. No, I'm not talking about renewing your Ben Dunne gym membership ...

It's almost time for the National Cyclocross Championships!

They will take place on the 11th of January, less than two weeks now. McNally Swords have taken on the job of organising it for the first time.

Experienced (cyclo)crosser David O'Neill has designed a great course, as challenging as it is fun.

It has all everything you need for a great race : some climbing on and off the bike, tight forested areas, long grassy descents and hopefully mud. A lot of mud.

There will be three races on the day.

11.15am — RACE 1 : Cyclocross Support Race. Race time 45 mins. All Non IRL codes, novice riders with CI licence, IVCA licence holders.
    12.30pm — RACE 2 Junior Men, Veteran Men (M40,M50 & M60), Junior Women, Senior Women Championship Race (in that order, at 1 min intervals). Race time 45 mins.
    14.00pm — RACE 3 Senior Men & U23 Men & Senior Men Team Championship Race. Race time approximately 1 hour.

How to register you're wondering? Well, let me guide you !

- www.thebikecomesfirst.com/champs (our mini site)
    - Click on Registration, on the right hand sidebar
    - Fill out the form
    - You're in

You can find all the information you need on www.thebikecomesfirst.com/champs and you can like our facebook page.

Hurry, registration closes on Sunday 4th.

Any question, let me know :)

Caroline Martinez
    Race PRO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

So, are lights mandatory for Race 1 at 1.15am?...

:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I'm in (cannon fodder)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

cdaly_ wrote: »
    So, are lights mandatory for Race 1 at 1.15am?...

:D

It's not a championship race so we thought we would try something different. I will have a torch to illuminate the worst bits but may turn it off intermittently for the craic.....

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Experienced crosser David O'Neill

I believe David has lined up a very special outfit for the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Edited. Your posts are now totally irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

www.thebikecomesfirst.com/champs (our mini site)
    - Click on Registration, on the right hand sidebar
    - Fill out the form
    - Pay your entry fee by Paypal
    - then You're in

^^Make sure you pay your entry fee

^^Make sure you pay your entry fee
    Also make sure you have a 2015 CI licence number for the championship events. For the non-championship race IVCA licences are being accepted, although you will not have a licence number from them by the time the race takes place. You will though need to have renewed membership and have insurance cover for racing events

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

@Caroline_ie
    I am changing clubs.
    I have tried to renew my licence.
    The website tells me, that my application is "awaiting approval" and to contact my club secretary. I did this. He told me, that he is having a problem with C.I.
    He also told me, to print off the page, showing "awaiting approval" and that this will be sufficient. If it's not sorted by race day, will this do?

Hi :)

have you paid yet? Was a 15 license number generated?

Hi :)

have you paid yet? Was a 15 license number generated?

No, haven't paid. It won't let me proceed that far.

• Advertisement

CI's office is closed until Friday. I would suggest dropping them an e-mail (or getting your club secretary to do so) ahead of then, explaining the urgency

Eamonnator wrote: »
    No, haven't paid. It won't let me proceed that far.

Like Beasty said :
    Beasty wrote: »
    CI's office is closed until Friday. I would suggest dropping them an e-mail (or getting your club secretary to do so) ahead of then, explaining the urgency

This new years day thing are very unpractical this year.

I will inquire as well.

Hopefully, I'll get it sorted.
    In the meantime, I'll start a novena.
    I don't know, why I'm worrying, because, if there's anything less than cannon fodder, that'll be me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 umami

It's a bit much of CI to insist on this rule & then not have the manpower to process it, no? Same situation last year only probably worse with CI's spanking new portal & it's teething problems.

umami wrote: »
    It's a bit much of CI to insist on this rule & then not have the manpower to process it, no? Same situation last year only probably worse with CI's spanking new portal & it's teething problems.
    What rule? Are you referring to the requirement that cyclists must be licensed (and therefore insured)? That "rule" is for everyone's benefit!

CI's membership renewal system was in operation last year. I renewed in the middle of November without issue. So far this year I've seen one issue from Eamonnator above that may well be sorted by Friday.

Yes I am. I'm not sure I'd agree with you it's for everybodies benefit, and was also not stringently imposed in the past. The cx season is arbitrarily split (on it's backend) by a calendar year.

Yes I'm aware of that, it was a nightmare to get a licence sorted in time last year with emails ping ponging with kelly roche house. Good for you. I am also still waiting to here back from them...

Racers need to be insured in case they cause or are subject to injury. The organisers do not own the land on which the race takes place. The owners (in this case Fingal County Council) insist on a minimum public liability insurance (€6.5m IIRC) which can only be provided via CI. CI will certainly not sanction races where there are uninsured participants (whatever may have happened in the past). Without everyone covered by appropriate insurance the event will not take place. It is therefore for everyone's benefit (by everyone in this case I mean all participants) that proper insurance is in place as without it they cannot race

You're pedantically correct about the insurance, yes, and I take your point.
    However, my point was that if CI are going to insist on 2015 licences then they should have the manpower in place to process those licences. I used the example of last year as it illustrates that they were not prepared properly (and not only in my experience).
    Also my point on the arbitrary nature of the licensing year being aligned with the calendar year still stands. If the cross season ends at end of January (& the road season does not begin usually until mid Feb) perhaps the racing licences should be Feb-Feb.

There is nothing arbitrary about the licensing year being aligned with the calendar year - you will have to have a whinge at the UCI for that one as it's completely outside the control of CI

The licence issue is not about manpower as it's all now automated - yes they had a few teething problems with the new system last year, but anyone who knows anything about the way these things operate at this time of year and want some assurance over their licence for early in the new year really should be sorting it out at the beginning rather than end of December. I've witnessed a few issues myself with the system on behalf of my club over the last few days, and have worked around them knowing there is no-one around. I can imagine any club officials tackling this system for the first time (as indeed I have been) may struggle with one or two things, but I don't see why anyone should be blaming CI for that (although I recognise blaming CI for all the woes in the cycling world is a popular pastime for some)

When I said, that my club was having a problem with C.I., I did not say, nor did I infer, that the fault for the problem lay with C.I.
    When Caroline_ie posted details about registration for the championships today, I read through the details, and saw, that there was a race for M60s. I decided today, that I would race. If this hadn't arisen, I wouldn't have been in such a hurry to renew my licence. I would have allowed my new club to do so at their own pace.

• Advertisement

When I said, that my club was having a problem with C.I., I did not say, nor did I infer, that the fault for the problem lay with C.I.
    When Caroline_ie posted details about registration for the championships today, I read through the details, and saw, that there was a race for M60s. I decided today, that I would race. If this hadn't arisen, I wouldn't have been in such a hurry to renew my licence. I would have allowed my new club to do so at their own pace.
    Don't know how many will be in that cat and the race will certainly be combined with all the other vets, womens and junior cats, but you might want to drum up a bit of support from a few more (ideally slower!) sexagenarians (and indeed older crossers) Eamonnator;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Signed up, sure it's a day out.:)

Two more questions:
    1)If there are sufficient numbers, will there be minute gaps between M40s, M50s and M60s?.
    2) Will M40s, M50s and M60s have distinguishing numbers?.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Eamonnator - give me a shout tomorrow if you are still having problems and I can talk you and your club guy through the transfer process if that helps.

Must enter meself tomorrow.

As I understand it championship rules limit the fields to 50, and registration for the championship races must close on Sunday the 4th. I would therefore encourage everyone who wants to take part to sign up via the link provided in the OP asap

Two more questions:
    1)If there are sufficient numbers, will there be minute gaps between M40s, M50s and M60s?.
    2) Will M40s, M50s and M60s have distinguishing numbers?.

I'm not sure to be honest. We are very close to reaching the minimum entries requirements so I reckon this will be the case.
    As for the numbers :I don't know if this has been decided yet.

Please register, the entries are filling up fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I have registered, but there was no option to pay. Am I in?

Also, do you think it is realistic to hope for 2015 CI license applied for on 4th Jan? (need to wait for the credit card to clear... :o )

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Alek wrote: »
    I have registered, but there was no option to pay. Am I in?

Also, do you think it is realistic to hope for 2015 CI license applied for on 4th Jan? (need to wait for the credit card to clear... :o )

You should be emailed with a link to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Thanks, I got it now.

I still rather wait with this until somebody gives me just a hint of hope that a CI membership can be renewed within 6 working days :) I remember some stories of waiting and waiting...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    What rule? Are you referring to the requirement that cyclists must be licensed (and therefore insured)? That "rule" is for everyone's benefit!

CI's membership renewal system was in operation last year. I renewed in the middle of November without issue. So far this year I've seen one issue from Eamonnator above that may well be sorted by Friday.

Up to a few years ago your 2014 licence would have covered you for the national cross champs in Jan of the following year.
    They changed this rule (I think 2 years ago) and now insist on a 2015 licence for it.

Advertisement