Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭markc91

Testament1 wrote: »
    I personally wouldn't tie myself into a 2 year contract with 3. At the moment I find their coverage to be very poor, in the west of Ireland anyway.

Im in north dub was told theres a mast within close distance of my home the only thing putting me off is after june 2016 4g is no longer free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

Got the 230mb update for 5.1.1 today on the S6 flat, with meteor, will report back in a few days with hopefully an improvement on battery and ram usage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Keith186

Got the 230mb update for 5.1.1 today on the S6 flat, with meteor, will report back in a few days with hopefully an improvement on battery and ram usage

I have it a week or so. No noticeable difference. My battery went worse (40% overnight) but I changed a WiFi setting and its grand again. RAM management is still poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Keith186 wrote: »
    I have it a week or so. No noticeable difference. My battery went worse (40% overnight) but I changed a WiFi setting and its grand again. RAM management is still poor.

I'll be either going back to HTC or Sony for my next phone. Battery life is unacceptable. The ram issue is causing the screen to reload at least twice a day. The only 2 positives is the camera and the quick charge / wireless charger.

1jcdub wrote: »
    I'll be either going back to HTC or Sony for my next phone. Battery life is unacceptable. The ram issue is causing the screen to reload at least twice a day. The only 2 positives is the camera and the quick charge / wireless charger.
    In fairness I'm not a fan of Samsung but the competition was severely lacking this time. I'm going to send mine back as it keeps dropping of the network for SMS and calls but the internet works. If they send it back and I still have the same issue I'll be pushing for a refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

markc91 wrote: »
    Im in north dub was told theres a mast within close distance of my home the only thing putting me off is after june 2016 4g is no longer free.

Best bet is to pick up a pay as you go SIM first to test coverage before committing to any contract. Threes social media pages are flooded with coverage complaints since the o2 takeover.

Crap that doesn't fill me with optimism
    In fairness I'm not a fan of Samsung but the competition was severely lacking this time. I'm going to send mine back as it keeps dropping of the network for SMS and calls but the internet works. If they send it back and I still have the same issue I'll be pushing for a refund.

I'm having these issues too, sometimes I won't get incoming calls & will be just left with a voicemail. Plus, same with sending texts, at times I get failed sms so have to restart the phone in order to send it again, which drives me nuts. As you say above I wouldn't mind a refund if I could as I bought the phone close to release for 700 :eek: With that though, if bringing it back to meteor for it to be fixed, they give you a crap phone while it's away and I need the internet access for work, which sucks.

Is it a sim/network issue or the phone itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,145 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

1jcdub wrote: »
    I think it's only available for the standard S6 only at the moment.
    Has it improved there batter life on your S6?

It's for the edge as well in 3 stores, can't be got in carphone,
    It's €49 for the edge and ordinary one is free.

Crap that doesn't fill me with optimism

I'm having these issues too, sometimes I won't get incoming calls & will be just left with a voicemail. Plus, same with sending texts, at times I get failed sms so have to restart the phone in order to send it again, which drives me nuts. As you say above I wouldn't mind a refund if I could as I bought the phone close to release for 700 :eek: With that though, if bringing it back to meteor for it to be fixed, they give you a crap phone while it's away and I need the internet access for work, which sucks.

Is it a sim/network issue or the phone itself?

I think it's the phone but I am on the same network as you. Got a brand new sim same time as the phone issues occurred straight away. Got a new sim again but problem didn't go away.

Read elsewhere that while its faster/not throttled as much as snapdragon chips that they are way behind in terms of reliability of the chip for failure rates on network issues.

By the way, just turn flight mode on/off to get around the issue. If I use mobile internet for a while then leave the phone it seems to happen then.
    Also send SMS to yourself if you need to test if its still working.
    I will hopefully get to drop mine back in soon, been to busy to do it sooner. I'd be surprised it was fixed properly when I get it back though!

I think it's the phone but I am on the same network as you. Got a brand new sim same time as the phone issues occurred straight away. Got a new sim again but problem didn't go away.

Read elsewhere that while its faster/not throttled as much as snapdragon chips that they are way behind in terms of reliability of the chip for failure rates on network issues.

By the way, just turn flight mode on/off to get around the issue. If I use mobile internet for a while then leave the phone it seems to happen then.
    Also send SMS to yourself if you need to test if its still working.
    I will hopefully get to drop mine back in soon, been to busy to do it sooner. I'd be surprised it was fixed properly when I get it back though!

Good to know re: flight mode, cheers

Went into meteor during lunch and they said it's a phone issue. They can send it off to PhoneNua in Sandyford but could take 2 or 3 weeks. Alternatively, you can drop it in yourself and get a 4 hour turn around for 15e

The lady I spoke with was sound and was having the same issues herself with her S6, which she said is a known fault with them. She also said that the guys completely replace the motherboard with a new one so basically your getting a new phone, just with your old front & back glass/screen etc. Not much ye can do really rather than dropping it in, and not a hope of a refund unfortunately unless the phone needs to go back for repair on 3 occasions

• Advertisement

Guy in the Meteor shop said the same to me that it's hard to get a refund.
    The NCA website says otherwise about if the same fault happens again, you can get replacement or refund but you might have to use the small claims court.
    I think the replacement part would have the same issue but time will tell. If it works fine I'll be happy to keep the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Just got an S6 edge today. Are the Samsung official clear cases any good as the shop I was in had 50% off on them. Looks like they just cover the corners and not sure if that clear plastic would scratch easily. The only other one they had was the Otterbox symmetry. Looked a little bulky to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Flaccus wrote: »
    Just got an S6 edge today. Are the Samsung official clear cases any good as the shop I was in had 50% off on them. Looks like they just cover the corners and not sure if that clear plastic would scratch easily. The only other one they had was the Otterbox symmetry. Looked a little bulky to me.

eBay ones do the same job for €2-€3 in fairness. All they are is a branded TPU gel case.

The samsung ones are not tpu but a hard polycarbonate.
    Think I will just get a diztronic for 10 quid on Amazon. Seem to have the best reputation for tpu cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

The samsung ones are not tpu but a hard polycarbonate.
    Think I will just get a diztronic for 10 quid on Amazon. Seem to have the best reputation for tpu cases.

Certainly cheaper options available - all work well in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Interrobang

markc91 wrote: »
    what are three like?

Shıte. I was on O2 with zero problems for years, but coverage is brutal since Three took over. At a rough estimate, I have a signal for 30% of the day tops. My requests for a partial refund based on the fact that I'm consistently not getting the service I'm paying for have thus far fallen on deaf ears. Will never go back to them.

Techmaster wrote: »
    Certainly cheaper options available - all work well in fairness.

I guess I want to balance protection with looks. No point in having this phone if I am going to put an otter box on it. Then again, I have found the cheaper 4-5 euro tpu cases on other phones I have had while very slim, are loose fitting, grit gets in around the back, no shock absorption etc... I think with some cases you get what you pay for.

Guys,

Just a couple quick questions on the S6 edge. Just got it today but no chance to even look at it till morning.

1. Vodafone and other operator customers reporting 'Security notice - Unauthorised actions have been detected' Is everyone getting this ?
    2. Can I install latest OTA from Sammobile using Odin without tripping Knox (did this for Note 4)
    3. Seen a lot of posts about the accelerometer being burned out by the fast charger. Is this common ?
    4. Is the camera and heart rate monitor glass covering prone to scratching from just normal use, taking it out of pocket etc..

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

New update on the S6 flat last night. Seems like an updated drop of 5.1.1. I got 5.1.1 about a month ago and it had kernel build date of June, the new update last night still says 5.1.1 but build date of 21st July. Must be the fix for the StageFright bug I guess, was 250 MB though, so must be more than that in it too.

On tesco mobile.

I just opened my S6 and noticed this ugly sticker on back (serial no. imei etc..). It's not even on straight.
    Is it ok to peel this yoke off, or is it their for warranty.

Also guys, what the story with this Vodafone protect yoke ? Can it be disabled or removed.

Just charging it now via the wireless charging puck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

I just opened my S6 and noticed this ugly sticker on back (serial no. imei etc..). It's not even on straight.
    Is it ok to peel this yoke off, or is it their for warranty.

Also guys, what the story with this Vodafone protect yoke ? Can it be disabled or removed.

Just charging it now via the wireless charging puck.

The sticker can be taken off and put into the bin :D

The phone has a serial and imei inside the phone for warranty purposes.

Grand :) Just waiting for it to hit 100% before turning on.
    Afraid to use the fast charger over stories of it frying accelerometer or am I overreacting ? I guess you only read about the bad stuff from the small minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

Flaccus wrote:
    Grand Just waiting for it to hit 100% before turning on. Afraid to use the fast charger over stories of it frying accelerometer or am I overreacting ? I guess you only read about the bad stuff from the small minority.

I have had the phone for two and a half months now and that miraculous fast charger has done me nothing but wonders!!

Yeah, I will give it a go.

Anyway phone setup today with zero issues.

Looks like Samsung have pulled the Avengers themes from the store :(

One thing...is the swipe up feature for google now disabled ? Can't get it to work.

Also, does anyone use Smart Manager. I know it's just an add free version of Cheetah mobiles clean master (which is crap) and it's also got security from McAfee which you have to activate plus some knox features. Was thinking of disabling the lot.

You have to long press the home button for Google Now.

About the fast charger, I use mine loads and have no issues. If can get fairly warm if using it while charging.

You get an immediate replacement with no quabbles if you get a fault with electrical goods with the first 28 days, so now is the time to test it properly. After that time limit, they send the phone for repair leaving you stuck with your old phone for a while.

You have to long press the home button for Google Now.

About the fast charger, I use mine loads and have no issues. If can get fairly warm if using it while charging.

You get an immediate replacement with no quabbles if you get a fault with electrical goods with the first 28 days, so now is the time to test it properly. After that time limit, they send the phone for repair leaving you stuck with your old phone for a while.

That's true. enough. Good advice. Thanks.

Anyway, this Smart Manager which has anti-virus that has to be activated, plus Knox which is turned off by default. Leave it as is, or disable it ?

Also, is Samsung find my mobile much cop. I've always used Cerberus. Ta.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm looking at the now reasonable S6 Edge on Three, but am tempted to wait and see what the new Nexus 5 has to offer.
    Anyone any clue if the Nexus specs will be up to much?
    The S6 Edge looks gorgeous.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

So the wireless charging seems like a great idea and way of reducing wear and tear on the ports, not that I've had issues with a micro USB getting damaged previously on any phone after years of use.

Can't get the wireless charging to do anything other than just cycle between charging and paused every couple of seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭sioda

What charging pad are you using

Advertisement