Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

On the Samsung site they are now advertising a Fast charge wireless charging pad.

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories/EP-PN920TWEGUS

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

sioda wrote: »
    What charging pad are you using

I got the Anker slim charging pad.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It now seems to be working OK so far using a wall charger that claims to have 2A output, rather than the PC's USB port.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Anyone know if those samsung circle bluetooth earbuds are much cop or just overpriced style over substance ? Seen a fair bit cheaper last year.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Samsung-Bluetooth-Headphone-Headset/dp/B00PUKA9LK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439821238&sr=8-1&keywords=Samsung+Circle+headphones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Looking at buying an S6 Edge Sim Free.

Based on Pixmania, Elara and Expansys, Pixmania are cheapest. Is there anywhere else I should look?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭sioda

I have the chotech one but it has to be perfectly centred

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Keith186

OSI wrote: »
    The fast wireless charging only works with the Note 5 and Edge+ though.

Crap. I watched some video promo about fast wireless charging and it claimed it would work on all them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Keith186 wrote: »
    Crap. I watched some video promo about fast wireless charging and it claimed it would work on all them.

As far as i know the S6 and S6 Edge will be able to use it once they get a software update.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Anyone running Nova on their S6?
    I just don't like Touchwiz and would much prefer to replace the UI completely.
    That quick swipe down menu is awful compared to the stock Android, is that replaced with the new launcher too?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Shakeandbake!

I've had my S6 flat since late April, no problems until last week when it decided not to charge via the fast charger, it will still charge via the wireless pad though so i assume it's not a battery problem. The charger works ok as i can use it for other devices. The Samsung Gear VR app kept flashing onto screen interrupting anything I was doing on the phone. Even when i forced the app to close this continued to happen. A notification would appear regularly telling me that "power sharing is enabled" - this would happen whether the phone was on wireless charge or not. Took it back to Vodafone last thursday and they've promised me a new device within a week. Hoping for a call from them very soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Anyone running Nova on their S6?
    I just don't like Touchwiz and would much prefer to replace the UI completely.
    That quick swipe down menu is awful compared to the stock Android, is that replaced with the new launcher too?

Using Nova myself, looks a lot better !

The swipe down menu stays though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Using Nova myself, looks a lot better !

The swipe down menu stays though

Bugger

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

New update on the S6 flat last night. Seems like an updated drop of 5.1.1. I got 5.1.1 about a month ago and it had kernel build date of June, the new update last night still says 5.1.1 but build date of 21st July. Must be the fix for the StageFright bug I guess, was 250 MB though, so must be more than that in it too.

On tesco mobile.
    Sounds similar to the update I got on Sunday (Vodafone network). It's also dated 21 July.
    Build is LMY47X.G920FXXU2PGOJ

One thing I did notice is that my battery life has improved. Reserving judgement a while though, in case it goes to pot again.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

New update on the S6 flat last night. Seems like an updated drop of 5.1.1. I got 5.1.1 about a month ago and it had kernel build date of June, the new update last night still says 5.1.1 but build date of 21st July. Must be the fix for the StageFright bug I guess, was 250 MB though, so must be more than that in it too.

On tesco mobile.
    Sounds similar to the update I got on Sunday (Vodafone network). It's also dated 21 July.
    Build is LMY47X.G920FXXU2PGOJ

One thing I did notice is that my battery life has improved. Reserving judgement a while though, in case it goes to pot again.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

I world have thought this update would have been available to the S6 edge at this stage considering how important it is..

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

Bugger

Have you tried the inbuilt theme store, I downloaded material dark and looks much better than the regular stock theme.

No, I don't own the phone yet.
    I currently have a loaner, but I'm due an upgrade.
    Plan is to drop Meteor and hook up with Three, as they have the best S6 Edge deal at the mo.
    The only thing is I'm not a touchwiz fan, having been an S4 owner.
    But, over the last year and having used a delightful gen 1 Moto G and a Nexus 6, I have discovered the pleasures of using Nova so that should iron out the UI sh1te forced upon us by Samsung.
    Stock android I love, but I also like a phone with character.
    Choices are two fold.
    Buy a S6 Edge now or wait a few weeks and see how the new Nexus 5 shapes up.

Plan is to drop Meteor and hook up with Three, as they have the best S6 Edge deal at the mo.
    But, over the last year and having used a delightful gen 1 Moto G and a Nexus 6, I have discovered the pleasures of using Nova so that should iron out the UI sh1te forced upon us by Samsung.
    Choices are two fold.

To be honest I'd wait and see what the nexus shapes up like. I've my S6 edge since April and apart from the camera I'm very disappointed. Battery life is cr@p. I know it quick charges but it's still inconvenient. The ram issue is a real pain. My phone's home screens refresh 5-6 times a day due to the ram running too high. I end up wiping the cache partition once to twice a week, and this phone developes lag intermittently.
    I'm just waiting for the next generation of phones to be released and I'll be glad to move back to a HTC if they get their act together or a Sony, Nexus..

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭WexIan

I have used all the Galaxy family and I think the last good one was the S3 so having also used a friends HTC One M7 and liked it I parted company with the S6 and bought a new HTC One M9. Very pleased and I think its a superior phone, some people say camera is crap but also at times I thought the S6 was as well, just depends on each individuals likes and dislikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

WexIan wrote: »
    I have used all the Galaxy family and I think the last good one was the S3 so having also used a friends HTC One M7 and liked it I parted company with the S6 and bought a new HTC One M9. Very pleased and I think its a superior phone, some people say camera is crap but also at times I thought the S6 was as well, just depends on each individuals likes and dislikes.

I love my M7 have it over 2 years but it's fairly well past it now. Purple camera fault, speaker/mic issues, battery life gone poor. To me Sense is the nicest android skin and the One series are still the best looking phones around. Only thing putting me off the M9 are reports of shocking battery life and the dodginess of the camera at times. Though to be fair from reading into it that appears to be down to the image processing side of things rather than the actual hardware itself. Still something HTC should have gotten right given their reported poor financial turnover of late.

Right now what's appealing to me most is the Moto X Style though much like the LG G4 it'll probably have to be bought outside Ireland unfortunately.

• Advertisement

1jcdub wrote: »
    To be honest I'd wait and see what the nexus shapes up like. I've my S6 edge since April and apart from the camera I'm very disappointed. Battery life is cr@p. I know it quick charges but it's still inconvenient. The ram issue is a real pain. My phone's home screens refresh 5-6 times a day due to the ram running too high. I end up wiping the cache partition once to twice a week, and this phone developes lag intermittently.
    I'm just waiting for the next generation of phones to be released and I'll be glad to move back to a HTC if they get their act together or a Sony, Nexus..
    Feck, I thought my decision was made!
    Now I am going to have to wait until October!
    Bugger!
    How did they screw up the S6 then, I mean it's not like they rushed it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Feck, I thought my decision was made!
    Now I am going to have to wait until October!
    Bugger!
    How did they screw up the S6 then, I mean it's not like they rushed it out.

In the interests of balance, my s6 has had no issues at all

Yeah, since the last update my S6 hasn't had any of the infamous issues. No worse a battery than the Z1, or HTC M8 I had before it.
    The M8i had before the S6 had superior battery life. One charge did a full day. I have to charge the S6 around 5pm most days as it's usually down to 20%.

The S6 edge is a great looking device but I do regret not keeping my M8 for another year.

Yeah, since the last update my S6 hasn't had any of the infamous issues. No worse a battery than the Z1, or HTC M8 I had before it.
    Having the edge, I'm still waiting on the update to be released. I doubt it will transform the phone observing.
    Roll on April and my next upgrade

I may just hang on until October, at the very least we'll see some consistent reports on the S6 Edge's performance with the update and better able to judge if it's worth buying, seeing as we'll be stuck together for the next two years!
    The cynic in me said "buy the S6 Edge on contract and, if the N5 2015 turns out to be all sorts of fabulous, sell the S6 Edge on to someone who will appreciate it, get the other phone and spend the change on an Xbox One"

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

Choices are two fold.

Ah I see, I run Nova and the material dark theme on my S6 definitely helps give it a more stock look.

To be honest I'm sorta in the same boat, even though I've had the S6 since it came out, I love the look of it, the camera and overall hardware, but the Moto X Style along with the rumours and images around of the Nexus 5 & 6 are making me sway, all comes down to camera and battery life for me, immediate software updates are a bonus.

I also use Flatro icons and themes, I actually have it running on this Nexus 6, on a Moto 1st gen and a cheap old Huawei, and it makes them all look pretty good.
    On the Huawei it delivers aa proper app tray and, I swear, makes it more responsive, despite the meagre half a gig of ram.

Just received an update to my S6 edge. Will be watching battery life for improvement...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Got my Edge within a week of launch, and apart from the infamous fast charge burning out the accelerometer and the pretty dire battery life i absolutely love the phone. Did the most recent update about 48 hrs ago (Vodafone) and the battery life has gotten a lot better. Im now back to getting a full day out of it which im super happy with as i was just getting used to having to charge it before i left work.

So unless anything else creeps up on the phone, im happy enough with the performance of it :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

kev_s88 wrote: »
    Got my Edge within a week of launch, and apart from the infamous fast charge burning out the accelerometer and the pretty dire battery life i absolutely love the phone. Did the most recent update about 48 hrs ago (Vodafone) and the battery life has gotten a lot better. Im now back to getting a full day out of it which im super happy with as i was just getting used to having to charge it before i left work.

So unless anything else creeps up on the phone, im happy enough with the performance of it :):)

I too have an Edge, although it was bought direct at launch. How would I know if I have an issue with the fast charge/accelerometer? Is it fixed in later models, wondering if there is a way to pinpoint a faulty batch/model derivative?

Thanks.

Advertisement