Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

While the quality was variable I would much prefer a world where Red Dwarf might be still made instead of the one where sh1te like Mike and Molly gets aired.
    Honestly, I had no love for series 8 at all, but the recent series X was great fun and, though we are all a bit older, was just as willing to have a good time with things that one just wouldn't see elsewhere, like the Judas/Jesus ep.
    No, I delighted to see the show coming back, as much as we can look to Fawlty Towers and Fr Ted as show that came, lasted a couple of seasons and then disappeared at the top of their game, Red Dwarf might be that other rarity, a show that has persisted, in spits and spats, to be made, brought back almost exclusively by the needs of the fans, what better niche to serve?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Seasons? Which part of the US do you come from, friendo?

Not this again! :pac:

Was watching Red Dwarf last night for the first time in years. Had forgotten how hilarious it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,961 ✭✭✭Doge

o1s1n wrote: »

dat p(ed)antry! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

o1s1n wrote: »

Was watching Red Dwarf last night for the first time in years. Had forgotten how hilarious it is.

I was just thinking that as I read down the page.:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Steady on now, no personal stuff....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Steady on now, no personal stuff....

I didn't mean anything by it, it's gone. I thought the whole series v season thing was settled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Seasons? Which part of the US do you come from, friendo?

Go way with ya, this is done & dusted. It's a series of seasons, end of :P

duty_calls.png

Is this some new fangled youth thing or something? It's always been seasons of shows for me growing up :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Myrddin wrote: »
    While the show should have retired with dignity as you suggest, I think that opportunity has long since passed. If we're going to get more Red Dwarf, so be it - but I'm cautiously optimistic that it's at least a possibility that what follows might just be decent/acceptable, and maybe won't be a total abomination.

I don't know, I thought the first two episodes of X were OK and pretty much everything else was Back to Earth quality, with some of the worst episodes the show has ever produced to be perfectly frank. I just find returning to a classic series is pointless unless they have legitimately great ideas to do it with (same goes with games). For the shows I love, I'd rather they finish prematurely in their prime than come back for another few years in merely acceptable form - although honestly I am almost certain Doug Naylor will not be able to produce anywhere near 12 more episodes of even 'acceptable' Red Dwarf :(
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    While the quality was variable I would much prefer a world where Red Dwarf might be still made instead of the one where sh1te like Mike and Molly gets aired.

Ah now, there was plenty of ****e when Red Dwarf aired, and there's plenty of great stuff airing now. I'd take one great episode of Louie (although thankfully pretty much every episode is magnificent) over 12 tolerable Red Dwarf XI + XII ones ;)

Ah now, there was plenty of ****e when Red Dwarf aired, and there's plenty of great stuff airing now. I'd take one great episode of Louie (although thankfully pretty much every episode is magnificent) over 12 tolerable Red Dwarf XI + XII ones ;)

What?
    No love for Fresh Fields, On the Buses or Never the Twain? Otherwise known as afternoons on ITV4!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Fresh Fields was excellent. Wasn't there a 'sequel' called French Fields as well?

Oh and Duty Free and A Bit Of A Do were great too! :)

• Advertisement

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    Fresh Fields was excellent. Wasn't there a 'sequel' called French Fields as well?

:eek: :eek:

Still better than Amazing Spiderman 1 and 2!
    And Sonic Adventure ;)

GTA2 recreation with a drone :cool:

Kill Frenzy!

GTA2 recreation with a drone :cool:

Thats very clever!

GTA 2 is a game that never clicked and still fails to click with me.

The cars and maps are poor compared to the original.

You were spoiled for fast sports cars in the first game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Ditto, never felt the same love for GTA 2 as I did with the first one. I did enjoy the London expansion pack though.

Think my 360 is on the way out :( it's starting to take a long time to boot up and occasionally freezes during gameplay, specifically online. Hoping it's maybe because the hard drive is full so picked up a bigger one today & will see how that goes. To be fair it's served me well since I got it in 2009 and putting in heavy enough use and somehow survived a RROD. Definitely my favourite console of last generation after a being playstation guy since the ps1.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Didn't like GTA 2 myself either. Found they went far too stylized with it and lost something as a result.

That video is absolutely fantastic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Great video. The first GTA which was too down was great, also have the London Add on somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

New Castlevania project looking very likely:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1039738

Proper Castlevania btw.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's a big indie games festival in akihabara the day before I leave with the oublic day the following day so hoping it will be shown there as I'll be going to waste time before my flight.

Hey had an exclusive t shirt on sale today for golden week, an awesome Darius t shirt that was an official Taito collaboration. Unfortunately I was out in Nikko so by the time I got back to Hey it was sold out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Swery is at that!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Must see if he will go #drinKing with me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

megaten wrote: »
    It seems like your basically paying for a case. There doesn't seem to be anything special about it.

Just looks like an OUYA all over again. Wouldn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Actually its just a raspberry pi with emulation station which is free.
    You still have to put on your own "backup" roms.
    And then its a USB snes controller.

I dont get it.

Yeah there are much nicer Pi cases out there that are cheaper than that.

All the retro-based Youtube content creators seem to be jumping on this Patreon bandwagon. Is there something on the horizon that will affect monetization of videos or something?

Think it's just that YouTube income is so unpredictable.

You can get to the point where you can make a living off it, but depending on youtube algorithms your income is highly uncertain on a month to month basis.

I just donate to Red Letter Media.

All the retro-based Youtube content creators seem to be jumping on this Patreon bandwagon. Is there something on the horizon that will affect monetization of videos or something?

I just see it as an additional way of making money. If fans would like to donate to your videos sure why not?

• Advertisement

Doge wrote: »
    If fans would like to donate to your videos sure why not?

Oh I've no issue with it, more just curious. The Game Chasers, AVGN, The Gaming Historian, Pat etc have all seemed to shift towards pushing their Patreon profiles of late, & in quick succession, so was wondering if something was happening with monetization.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement