Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I have to say I never understood Darius until I played it in HEY. When you get to the boss and the sub bass woofer under the chair kicks in and the whole cabinet is vibrating, now that's an arcade experience :)

Now go to Mikado at Takadanobaba and have several Gentleman Crisis' over a time period of several days as you stand in pure awe amidst the sheer Dariusususness of the gaff.

Best Game Center EVER. FACT.* :)

*73.2% better than Funtasia in Bettystown according to 3 people surveyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

It's hard to pick just one, I like Cape Feare, Treehouse of Horror V and Marge on the Lam

Bart of Darkness is my favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

It's hard to pick just one, I like Cape Feare, Treehouse of Horror V and Marge on the Lam

One word

TOMACCO!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well super potato 7 in Osaka isn't closed, it's just moved. Went looking for A Too in Osaka and it seems super potato have taken over the place. And my god what a place. I'm after spending so much money there it's not even funny. Lots of minty gets. Also found the elusive MSX 2+, it was in a glass case behind a X68000 and PC98. I ask for the price... Not for sale. Well I give up on the MSX dream now. Anyway the place has a fantastic selection of MSX games, even a loose Space Manbow in the glass case for a decent price. Didn't pick up any of them though since I'm MSX less and AIB limiting my daily spending.

I've got to say I heard a lot about Osaka being better than Tokyo and others about how it's gone downhill. I think the Osaka super potato is much better.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Well super potato 7 in Osaka isn't closed, it's just moved. Went looking for A Too in Osaka and it seems super potato have taken over the place. And my god what a place. I'm after spending so much money there it's not even funny. Lots of minty gets. Also found the elusive MSX 2+, it was in a glass case behind a X68000 and PC98. I ask for the price... Not for sale. Well I give up on the MSX dream now. Anyway the place has a fantastic selection of MSX games, even a loose Space Manbow in the glass case for a decent price. Didn't pick up any of them though since I'm MSX less and AIB limiting my daily spending.

I've got to say I heard a lot about Osaka being better than Tokyo and others about how it's gone downhill. I think the Osaka super potato is much better.

Looking forward to seeing the gets when you're back. Is there much of a language barrier over there or is it handy enough to get by?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Actually thinking of just getting a MSX 2 maybe taking a shopping day and coming back to Osaka for it since the MSX selection is so good. My bag is near full now. I'll have to load stuff into carry on or go over the luggage allowance :) I'll eait until I get back to post what I got but after today there won't be too much else, got most of the essentials I wanted.

As for the language barrier I've not had a problem yet. Most people In the railways or tourist offices have basic English to get by and most restaurants have English or picture menus.its not been a problem yet.

Word of advice, get over here quick if you want to pick up games, most game stores are closing down or shifting to anime **** leaving only the big players who don't have the stock they once had.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Actually thinking of just getting a MSX 2 maybe taking a shopping day and coming back to Osaka for it since the MSX selection is so good. My bag is near full now. I'll have to load stuff into carry on or go over the luggage allowance :) I'll eait until I get back to post what I got but after today there won't be too much else, got most of the essentials I wanted.

As for the language barrier I've not had a problem yet. Most people In the railways or tourist offices have basic English to get by and most restaurants have English or picture menus.its not been a problem yet.

Word of advice, get over here quick if you want to pick up games, most game stores are closing down or shifting to anime **** leaving only the big players who don't have the stock they once had.

Dont forget, you can post stuff back cheap if you don't mind waiting a week or two to get it. Make sure to mark it as low value gift ;0)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Retr0 if you happen to come across a copy of Super Metroid there at a semi decent price, and have the money / space, I'd gladly reimburse you for it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I don't mind if you post all the stuff you've gotten me back, I'm nice like that....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Can you pick me up a pair of those robot panties you can get from those vending machines?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just backed Yooka Laylee on Kick starter for £15, that's for a digital console edition of the game and hoping for the WiiU version to come about!
    What's kinda cool and confirms what I've said about DK64 all along is a comment on the page
    Collect-em-up 2.0: A roster of shiny collectibles with gameplay progression at their core (as well as other, more valuable materials). Every collectible type in our new game will expand gameplay in a meaningful way. Yes, we employ the man responsible for DK64's myriad of trinkets, but we've had a stern word.

I just hope it makes the stretch goal and gets published on consoles at all!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playtonic/yooka-laylee-a-3d-platformer-rare-vival/description

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Just backed Yooka Laylee on Kick starter for £15, that's for a digital console edition of the game and hoping for the WiiU version to come about!
    What's kinda cool and confirms what I've said about DK64 all along is a comment on the page

I just hope it makes the stretch goal and gets published on consoles at all!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playtonic/yooka-laylee-a-3d-platformer-rare-vival/description

Pledged myself earlier too. The €28 with the early Toybox demo included. They do seem very aware of their own games alright, faults included. 39 minutes it took to get funded and still rising rapidly. Looking forward to it even it being a long time to wait. Hopefully they can release details about a physical Wii U version.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Gone for the €15 digital console version myself too, but might change that to one of the PC versions at a later date, will have to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Back of the line everyone asking for things, Retr0 is picking me up a Juice Loosener!
    ibVCU6iAHilwL.gif
    I have my Flintstones Chewable Morphine ready, it'll be so worth it, I'm sick of paying outrageous grocery-store prices. You get so much juice from that from one bag of oranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

This doesn't seem to expensive if you're down in Limerick. May have to ask exactly what the games are though.
    http://www.adverts.ie/games/selection-of-used-in-excellent-condition-games/7914450

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

When did the jap version of einhander get cheap? Seems to be going for about €20 now but I seem to recall it being at the €100 mark or Maybe I'm just imagining things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

When did the jap version of einhander get cheap? Seems to be going for about €20 now but I seem to recall it being at the €100 mark or Maybe I'm just imagining things.

It was always cheap. The U.S. version only shot up in price recently.

My copy didn't cost that much at all, but it really is worth every penny.
    I would go so far as to suggest it's one of my top twenty games of all time, certainly one of the best shmups.

Just picked it up for 17 euro here with spine card.

What's the story with posting stuff from Japan. Was looking at a MSX2 in super potato and I noticed one thing, it's amazingly heavy. Might have to post it home. So do I just show up to the post office with it and they'll pack it or do I have to pack it myself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I remember seeing something about a parcel service in Japanese post offices but I cant be sure.

My post office has mail boxes there to buy so id say its a safe bet that they will have something to put it into. Could you throw me in one of those vending machine used panties aswell. Infact just wrap the console in them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

The main post offices will have boxes and packing materials for a small fee. They will also help you out with forms etc.
    Or the better hotels will have a fixer who can sort it out for you. No charge for the fixer usually but give a tip as you see fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Steve X2 wrote: »
    The main post offices will have boxes and packing materials for a small fee. They will also help you out with forms etc.
    Or the better hotels will have a fixer who can sort it out for you. No charge for the fixer usually but give a tip as you see fit.

We have fixers here too, they...fix things

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

11063888_1200623546618033_6881499042879946714_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

it would have been a crime if they didn't, the ending of series 10 was so WTF!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Let it die in peace. The previous revivals were pretty horrid altogether (at best tolerable, at worst barely coherent), totally lacking the spark and energy that once drove the show. The cast gave it their all, but creatively it was running on fumes at best.

I can't see myself tuning in anymore, the series has long since offered diminishing returns (before its initial run ended, even). Would be nice to see Red Dwarf retire with dignity.

So I can confirm that so far Tokyo is a massive disappointment compared to Osaka for retro games. The glass case stuff isn't as good and while friends is great for a bargain the stock isn't the best. Must try and find the mandrake I hear about but if it's like other mandrakes it will be a waste of time filled with moe and anime.

Also quite disappointed with the hucard and super cd rom selection everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Let it die in peace. The previous revivals were pretty horrid altogether (at best tolerable, at worst barely coherent), totally lacking the spark and energy that once drove the show. The cast gave it their all, but creatively it was running on fumes at best.

I can't see myself tuning in anymore, the series has long since offered diminishing returns (before its initial run ended, even). Would be nice to see Red Dwarf retire with dignity.

I'd agree to a point, season 3,4,5 & 6 were without doubt the prime of the show. Even during the original run, season 7 and 8 respectively showed a degradation in the quality of things. BTE which then followed, was quite poor, & continued this trend of diminishing returns. However season X, while far from being on par with the prime era, showed a marked improvement over the previous three seasons that went before it. The successful partnership of Grant & Naylor was no more (and hadn't been since 6/7 afair), but there were genuine & somewhat successful efforts at going back to the comedy that had proven successful.

While the show should have retired with dignity as you suggest, I think that opportunity has long since passed. If we're going to get more Red Dwarf, so be it - but I'm cautiously optimistic that it's at least a possibility that what follows might just be decent/acceptable, and maybe won't be a total abomination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Myrddin wrote: »
    I'd agree to a point, season 3,4,5 & 6 were without doubt the prime of the show. Even during the original run, season 7 and 8 respectively showed a degradation in the quality of things. BTE which then followed, was quite poor, & continued this trend of diminishing returns. However season X, while far from being on par with the prime era, showed a marked improvement over the previous three seasons that went before it. The successful partnership of Grant & Naylor was no more (and hadn't been since 6/7 afair), but there were genuine & somewhat successful efforts at going back to the comedy that had proven successful.

While the show should have retired with dignity as you suggest, I think that opportunity has long since passed. If we're going to get more Red Dwarf, so be it - but I'm cautiously optimistic that it's at least a possibility that what follows might just be decent/acceptable, and maybe won't be a total abomination.
    Seasons? Which part of the US do you come from, friendo?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement